Timo Werner (FWD) Red Bull Leipzig

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Hope in your heart, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Fester

Fester Well-Known Member Valued Member

With limited funding and multiple areas to address I would have thought that it will be Williams or Brandt. Could easily be wrong of course .... !

Werner might just provide Klopp with that additional option and alternative to Firmino and Origi that he is looking for. Personally I don't think that we will get any one of them. Again I could easily be wrong.

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Way to hedge you bets! ;-)

3. Red&War

Red&War Well-Known Member

Can I ask one of our resident German's. Why has Timo all of a sudden started scoring goals this season?

4. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Alright Now and redfanman like this.
  5. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

He may have had a spell playing wide that reduced his scoring chances?

6. Red&War

Red&War Well-Known Member

Sorry yes that is what I meant. Obviously he has scored goals before but his goals to game ratio has suddenly improved. I appreciate that he is still young but it seems a fairly drastic improvement for somebody who hasn't watched him develop.

I was wondering if this was due to:
    A) a change in position.
    B) the team playing a system that plays to his strengths (thinking Leicester with Vardy).
    C) A flash in the pan/ drastic improvement.

Either of the second two would make me nervous about signing the bloke. We wont play to his strengths unless his strengths are the natural way our team plays and I tend to think sudden drastic improvements tend to be followed by sudden declines.

7. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

An article by Sam McGuire on Football Whispers

http://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/timo-werner-a-profile-on-liverpool-transfer-target-timo-werner

" The fact Werner played regularly out wide for Stuttgart has had a positive influence on him. He was initially tipped to be the next Marco Reus but under Ralph Hasenhuttl his game has been refined. He has been deployed as a striker this season but he’s forever popping up in wide areas, working the channels and isolating defenders in areas they aren’t comfortable in before just bursting past them."

8. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

There seems to be a bit of Aguero about him, in the way that he's a really quick and busy player who never stops moving. Looks very much someone who could be a good addition up front as he can also play at RW to cover for Mané, and his pace and movement makes him a good fit for Klopp's style. Would certainly be a great option to bring on off the bench to poach a goal late on, and he would bring a different sort of option up front compared to Firmino and Origi.

Mané ----------------- Coutinho
    Werner -------------- Brandt?
    ---------- Firmino
    ---------- Origi

Just wonder if someone like him would want to leave a German club with CL football (assuming they're allowed to play) to be a squad player. I guess if someone like Schurrle went to Chelsea as a squad player then we might be able to pull off a similar move here.