Transfer excitement

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by richieh10, Jun 15, 2017.

1. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

While Fowler 2nd signing was great, it was clear he wouldn't be a key figure.
    Nothing will ever come close to Rush returning. He was still in his prime, and it was like getting back a piece of my heart.
    Other playets who I knew ( and proven wrong sometimes ) would be awesome signings were : Torres, Mascherano, Kewell and Cisse.

2. norwegian wood

norwegian wood TIA Regular

Kewell is probably the signing I've been the most excited with. Loved watching him at Leeds, thought he was absolutely brilliant.

Morientes was also an exciting one. Another player I enjoyed watching before he joined. Same with Torres and Litmanen.

Balotelli was a really fun one, because it was a bit mad. A very untypical signing for Liverpool, which I thought was refreshing.

Lately I guess it's Firmino and Mane, although I don't really get excited anymore by signings. It's more about curiosity now, in terms of how players fit in and how they affect the collective.

A bit of a mad one: I wasn't particularly excited about the Suarez signing. Curious, but not excited. I had watched him a few times for Uruguay, but didn't see anything that made me wish this was a player we would buy. Thought he was quite scruffy and wasteful with the ball, plus he looked a bit overweight.."Gordo" lol
    So he's the biggest positive surprise for me, in terms of how good he eventually became. There's absolutely no way I would have thought he would kick on like he did, based on his first 12 months or so at the club.

spartacus136 likes this.
  3. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Thought I'd mention someone not mentioned already but I was really excited when we signed Collymore. He was such a good player who had everything perhaps apart from 100% professionalism. Left foot, right foot, volley, tap in, 30-yarder, pace, strength, you name it. Him and Robbie were devastating together at their peak - wish that had gone on for longer.

The other signing I was excited by was Mark Wright - such a classy player and one of the best CBs in the world at the time, imo.

[Just seen TCB name-checked Collymore as well]

Joe1972 likes this.
  4. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Klopp
    Coutinho
    Sahin (thought he'd work out + sign on)
    Suarez
    Maxi
    Torres

can't remember much before then, really wasn't paying attention

5. supereddman98

supereddman98 Active Member

Torres for me. It's the only time I thought we'd signed a game changer.

6. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

3 players stand out in my memory.

Jari Litmanen. His signing got me genuinely excited, such a shame about his persistent injury.

Harry Kewell. Another guy let down by his body.

The last being Torres, the ultimate centre forward at his peak, better than Rush, arguably the best striker in the world for a while. Immense player.

7. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Guys... I am sure we were all as excited by Sean Dundee as I was. Having admittedly never actually seeing him play he did reach double figures in the Bundesliga the two seasons prior and of course, he was South African (yes, he was) and a Durban boy at that and I mean, who wouldn't be excited by a South African link to the Club. I mean the Kop is intrisically linked to us here and he was a good footballer and every Liverpool fan was all excited. And then of course he was from Durban...

Right guys? Guys....?

Irishanfield likes this.
  8. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Torres for me. I still vividly remember the day when my friend texted me to say: "Torres! Not bad, brother, not bad!" I was travelling back home and was on the bus at that moment, so I had a few hours to think about it. I felt so optimistic about that signing (yeah, that was the last time I felt optimistic before all of you label me a fraud!). I mean, there was Morientes' shadow hanging above him but I watched him often and now late Aragones described him back then as a striker who never scored the same goal twice. After his goal against Chelsea, I knew we had the real deal. Kuyt, Suarez and Mane are the other signings that made me feel good but nowhere near Torres signing.

9. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Torres was the player that broke my heart. Aside from Robbie the first time (which was different anyway as he was forced out by Houllier), I don't think I've ever felt as distraught as that about a player leaving. Sure, it didn't work out for him at Chelsea and in the end you just felt sorry for him, but at the time it was rough. Andy Carroll was the fuck-ton of salt in that particular wound!

RobLFC likes this.
  10. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I said it before and I'll keep saying it until the end of my days: he is the player who changed the way I watched the game and how I identified with my club, first for the better, and then for permanently worse. Maybe it's a part of growing up but the guy was a symbol of hope in an era where Liverpool tried to outgun the super-rich clubs and the best Man United side of all time. For me, during his spell at Liverpool, he was as important to the club as Gerrard. I still have a home shirt with his name on the back but I refuse to wear it since he left, that tells you everything I feel.

That said, I still harbour hopes of Man United being found guilty for match fixing in 2008/09 and stripped off the title in Liverpool's favour, just so that generation can have a title winner's medal around their necks.

11. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

I remember being on the train going into Liverpool and reading the back of someone's Echo that we had signed Morientes and getting really excited about that but he proved to be a huge disappointment. Still can't really understand what went wrong there....felt similarly disappointed by Riedle.

I guess they were both past their best..

12. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Whenever I log in I keep misreading the title of this thread as Transfer Excrement and then I remember we've got the unreliable rumours thread for that.

Now I've planted that seed...

13. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Same with Mori. I can still remember reading in the paper that we'd signed him, and ringing my dad up excitedly to tell him we'd found the final piece of the jigsaw. What followed was disappointing, to say the least.

I think it was just that he, like Sheva, was really too old to move to the Prem for the first time, being neither quick enough to outpace defenders nor tall enough (think he was 5'11) to be a target-man type and out-muscle them.

14. won it at-a-turk stadium

won it at-a-turk stadium TIA Regular

The only time I wasn't excited about a Liverpool transfer was the window when we signed Jones, Jovanovic, Cole and Konchesky

Most high excitement was Sturridge. I'd knew he'd work out well

Most exciting youth signing Lauri Dalla Valle and Christopher Buchtmann

spartacus136 likes this.
  15. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

Torres by miles. Kewell and Macherano. Anelka (too bad we didn't buy him) Babbel, heck even Babel a bit. Morientes I guess. Collymore. I'm sure there's more... Agger of course (more from a patriotic point of view, I knew he was special when we bought him).

edit: almost forgot Cisse, was so excited for a Owen - Cisse combo :-(
    edit2: Milan baros ( had really high expectation for him when he ended top scorer in that u-21 tourno prior to signing)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Scott Jones and spartacus136 like this.
  16. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Can still remember being in the ground when he played his first friendly for us, in Switzerland (against Leverkusen if I remember well). At the time, I was thinking that he was looking the part, although he didn't anything meaningful in that particular game. A bit like having a look at a very expensive, full-blooded racehorse, which you get to see for the first time but doesn't give it's full effort yet.

In my eyes, he'll remain a telling symbol for what the club has gone through since a decade. He came in when we were arguably at a new peak in terms of reputation throughout Europe. We had just played two CL finals in three years, had won one and should have won the second, as we were better than Milan that day. Our team was fantastic, and the sky seemed the limit: new owners had just come in, who were going to build a brand-new stadium and buy any player Rafa wanted (that's at least what they made us believe). And indeed, during that summer, they delivered, among others with Torres.

But from 2007 on, it went downwards rapidly: Rafa having to fight an uphill battle against a situation becoming worse and worse. The rest is history, we almost won the title in 2009, and then everything unfolded very quickly. Torres was gone six months after Rafa.

Had we known that summer 2007, with all that excitement and the new players coming in, that the next decade would bring nearly administration to the club, just one League Cup in terms of trophies,and then a long, long march through the desert, we'd have scratched our heads I suppose... :eh?:

17. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Nigel Clough.

I remember spending that summer away playing football. One of the lads on my team was an Arsenal fan, and so spending the summer in Manchester around newly cocky Utd fans (that summer was preceded by their first title under Fergie) we were both very defensive about the prospects of our respective sides returning to the top of the English game. We argued all summer about whose side would get there first. The day we signed Clough he conceded the argument.

It all just seems so utterly absurd now.

Arminius and Red_Jedi like this.
  18. Sound as a Pound

Sound as a Pound TIA Midfield General

I remember it well, the media were saying for a while he's the ideal signing for Liverpool, like to pass the ball etc
    We had so many let downs in the 90s, Saunders, Ruddock, Babb, Stewart, James - all big money spent on them at the time

19. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

On the other hand what about the fury when we fucked up or were outbid at the last minute or the player chose somewhere else..... If you believe Costa, Sanchez, Mik, the Russian, Willian, and yes Dempsey. Remember the TIA site died on that transfer deadline day a few years ago.

But Harry Kewell did it for me.

He was young, an Aussie (biased), supremely talented, good price, and chose us over the others. What happened thereafter was such a shame.

Kuyt and Cole were others that came to mind.......and am I allowed to mention that 2 Senagalese guys turned up post World Cup amidst plenty of fanfare.

20. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

Pretty sure the handball was against Ghana. And Asamoah Gyan missed the penalty.

For me it was Coutinho. Even though he looked a bit like his career had stalled at Inter you could tell from the highlights and futsal videos that he was absurdly good. Then that spring with Sturridge in the 4-2-3-1... magical.

21. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

With Torres, it was definitely a shock, I remember being on a high after us bringing Suarez... but I remember it very well, came home from a night out, must have been a Friday or Saturday when I saw the official statement of his transfer request (and then the whole Carroll mess, what a bloody circus). But for a while he didn't look ready or focused anymore. He was superb for us, was shocked by his move very late in a January window, but maybe the fact that I wasn't so crazily in love with him (I can't put him in the same context like a Gerrard, though he's probably ahead of anyone else) helped to overcome it. I don't know, I sometimes maybe have a difficult time with great players who are capable of going to the top, maybe I criticise them more (than lesser and limited players, that's more down to who bought them or even put them on the field) when they're not showing it but you know they have all the tools to do it. And I know he was massive for us in terms of importance on the pitch, he was arguably Europe's best proper #9 at that time and still played a lot of games through pain. For an "El Nino", he was also a great warrior for us, so chapeau for everything he did for us. I'm glad he and Suarez got a reception at Gerrard's game, made me happy. Pure class from our supporters (didn't expect anything different, it was that kind of game anyway), thank him for the good things and we move on.

Hope in your heart likes this.
  22. RedLar

RedLar Well-Known Member

I was pretty excited we signed Ray Houghton, at the time, because I'd watched him play against us earlier the same year we bought him and remember commenting to me mate that we should sign him. Cant even remember who we signed him from, but it was clear as glass he was head and shoulders above anyone in his side, and a few of ours. Just needed better quality around him. Top player.

Joe1972 likes this.
  23. Limiescouse

Oxford, with Aldo. Aye, he was an underappreciated addition to that 87 side.

24. richieh10

richieh10 Active Member

I remember being in hospital having my tonsils out and reading in the paper that we signed Carroll!

I thought he was going to be to us what Toshack was all those years ago.

The same day we signed Suarez and that just sort of slipped under the radar!

What a player Suarez was for us.

Fuck I miss him!

25. RedBaron

RedBaron Curse you RedBaron!!!!

I was heartbroken when Keegan went to Hamburg, but when thatfunny Scottish guy arrived all was forgiven.
    Two others that stand out for me were Michael Robinson and Mark Lawrenson as they were both bought from my home club Brighton back in the day!
    PEA could be a big one

26. denos666

denos666 TIA First Team

all time probably dalglish when he came back as manager. made me feel like a kid again.

player wise then for the initial buzz, barnes when he signed. the rush and fowler returns were pretty damn good. klopp's signing as manager and the signing of collymore because it broke the british transfer record and he was brilliant (but a complete utter bellend who completely wasted his talent).

Kopstar likes this.
  27. ubermick

ubermick Willing to drive Moreno to the airport Admin

Fucking @denos666 makes an appearance... this must be end of days stuff!

28. denos666

denos666 TIA First Team

i tend to lurk nowadays. normally in the away from home section of the forum. this thread caught my interest though. nostalgia is a wonderful thing sometimes.

29. Limiescouse

It ain't what it used to be though

Kopstar likes this.
  30. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

For a sec there I thought we finally rid ourselves of Moreno...:think:

Port Vale FC.png