Virgil van Dijk (CB) Southampton

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Would be great. Will be a pretty eye-watering fee for a CB, though. However, we need to be landing targets like this if we want to really push on and be competing for titles.

Edit: Oh shit, just realised who opened the thread. May as well lock this one already... ;-)

3. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

From what I have heard around here since I joined, I thought there was a rule banning @Nikola from starting player threads?

4. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Just saw who opened thread. Now depressed.

5. Nikola

I'm blaming this whole forum for Liverpool's failure to sign Van Dijk. You had, what, nine hours to open it! Nine hours! You had King, Barrett and Joyce confirming it but noooo, you left me to it, so you could pin all the blame on the guy with glasses. Shame on you!

This lad would have been perfect for our defence. Outstanding mix of physical traits, technical ability and leadership. I often watched Southampton games and you could always hear him shouting at his teammates, telling them where to position themselves. I just loved that about him. Maybe he is too similar to Matip in his desire to go forward, with or without the ball, but he's better in the air than him and pitches in with a goal from time to time. That ankle injury could be a worry in the future, though, but that's about everything that was wrong with him during his Premier League stint. Buying another Southampton centre back to replace the one we already bought from them doesn't sit well with me, though, I imagine there would have been a few more laughs at our expense had we signed him.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Wouldn't it have been great had we signed him before he moved to Man City... We even had Sakho as a bait, Puel seemed desperate to sign him. 50 million pounds is much, though, but I think Klopp would pay that much for a guy who prevents our defence from conceding all those stupid goals from set-pieces or any kind of punt into the box. Van Dijk could have been that guy had you only heard my silent screams...

6. Anfield rd Dreamer

I hang my head in shame!

redfanman likes this.
  7. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

So Klopp says Matip and Lovren cant be considered firzt choice CBs because of their injury problems then makes a player who missed half the season because of injury his no1 CB target which is obviously a concern

SAying that for a net 20m for a player who will never play for us again thats a good deal would feel the need to buy a new 4th choice CB

8. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

er.....world of difference between having two players who have regular injuries and a player who has just a one off injury.

9. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Sorry this falls to me. I was the one who who saw these and put them in the twitter thread, but its been so long since i opened any thread in the forum, i simply forgot i could do. :((

Wyld@Heart likes this.
  10. Nikola

You know that song, "it's too late to apologise"... :-(

redfanman and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  11. Anfield rd Dreamer

Not quite what has been said!

My take on that is that Klopp has realised he can't rely on two top class CBs to play 90% of his games with lesser CBs covering like he did at Dortmund (and it's arguable whether Lovren is quite good enough for that anyway). I think we are likely to see 3 or 4 top CBs that play 50%-75% of our games each season due to this. But he can't have inferior options like Klavan and Lucas playing as often as they have. They'd have been fine playing around 10% of our games if Lovren and Matip only missed a handful each. But he can't automatically pick them because of their availability.

redfanman likes this.
  12. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

Van Dijk is a player I'd love to see join us, we really do need defensive reinforcements and he would be ideal. The price tag is huge and Chelsea and Man City will probably put in a bid too. Champions League qualification is obviously crucial. As will Klopp's powers of persuasion. I just want a stronger defence first and foremost this summer.

13. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

I still hesitate to believe Klopp would buy a player for 50 mio...

Just saying

14. LaurazRed

I can see what you mean, I wonder If a swap deal with Sakho would be an option?

Scott Jones and Livvy like this.
  15. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I would think if we could swing a £25m + Sakho deal with Saints we'd jump at the chance. Hopefully they'd feel similarly.

Pecl and LaurazRed like this.
  16. LaurazRed

I think that would be a brilliant deal for both parties I'd certainly jump at the chance of a deal like that.

Pecl, Livvy and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  17. Anfield rd Dreamer

Got a feeling we might see our first high profile player exchange for a long while. Maybe we are pushing the 30 million for Sakho because they are pushing the 50 million for Van Dijk? Whatever they charge us we'll charge them 20 less?

18. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo optimism in spades

I love this little nugget in the Joyce article:

Klopp recognises the need to bolster his defence and prefers Van Dijk, who has been out with an ankle problem since January, to Leonardo Bonucci, the Juventus centre back, and Napoli’s Khalidou Koulibaly.

Option 2 and 3 aren't too shabby if we happen to miss out on VVD to a rival. Looks like we aren't messing about with finding a quality CB. Not the 19 yr old with potential kind of transfer. All of them large lads. I like it a lot.

19. Nikola

Do you happen to have a link for the entire piece or, if not, do you remember Joyce mentioning any other players? He loves to bury names in his articles, just to mention them casually while talking about another primary target and then we end up bidding for those.

20. jgw_geneseo

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/liverpool-put-50m-van-dijk-top-of-wanted-list-clg00sfx5

Liverpool will go head to head with their Premier League rivals by targeting Southampton’s Virgil van Dijk as part of an ambitious recruitment drive.

The £50 million-rated Southampton centre half is Jürgen Klopp’s first choice for defensive reinforcements, while the club also want to sign Naby Keita, the RB Leipzig midfielder.

Van Dijk has been the subject of interest from England’s top seven sides this season — Arsenal and Everton are the latest to register theirs — and overtures from Europe could yet arrive from Real Madrid.

Liverpool took an important step towards Champions League football with last week’s victory over Stoke City and Fenway Sports Group, the owner, is prepared to sanction the biggest spending spree in the club’s history.

Klopp recognises the need to bolster his defence and prefers Van Dijk, who has been out with an ankle problem since January, to Leonardo Bonucci, the Juventus centre back, and Napoli’s Khalidou Koulibaly.

A successful move by Liverpool for Van Dijk would represent yet another raid on Southampton, who have seen Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Nathaniel Clyne and Sadio Mané all swap St Mary’s for Anfield since 2014 for combined fees of about £100 million.

Southampton have shown interest in Mamadou Sakho who has little prospect of starting afresh under Klopp despite his impressive performances on loan with Crystal Palace.

A clause insisting that Palace buy Sakho for a set fee was not included in the loan deal, despite suggestions to the contrary, and his displays mean that Liverpool will look to maximise his value in the summer.

The Liverpool manager also said that no decision had been taken on the future of Daniel Sturridge, who made his first appearance for two months away to Stoke.

Liverpool are set to sign Vitezslav Jaros, the 16-year-old Slavia Prague goalkeeper, this summer for £300,000. Their transfer embargo at academy level only applies to English clubs.

21. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I still think it will be closer to £30m (http://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/the-unreliable-rumours-thread.18341/page-489#post-727975) but Sakho's form for Palace is certainly helping to improve our position.

redfanman and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  22. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Id be very happy with the 2nd choice target if Juve would sell

23. jgw_geneseo

This is also quite tasty:

The £50 million-rated Southampton centre half is Jürgen Klopp’s first choice for defensive reinforcements, while the club also want to sign Naby Keita, the RB Leipzig midfielder.

24. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

The only way this comes off is if Nikola posts the same on the Man City, Chelsea, and Madrid boards.

25. Nikola

Got banned from Madrid boards for saying they won't win Copa del Rey this season. :-(

26. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Why? Do you want to open threads for Bonucci and Koulibaly too?
    Someone quickly ask Matt and Max to tweak the forum software to stop Nik from starting threads under rumour mill. Or someone steal ubermick's ban stick to deal with Nik.

27. schmee

schmee Am I my own mentor or my own worst enemy?

Noticed who started the thread. Cry :-(

28. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

Maybe Nik should open a thread saying that we won't sign Suarez.

29. Nikola

If I opened a "We won't sign Suarez" thread, Liverpool would sign Matias Suarez!

Scott Jones likes this.
  30. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Wait! @Nikola 's reputation is undeserved!

He opened the threads for Sturridge, Coates, Markovic, Bogdan, Ings, Karius and Kolo (and Wijnaldum)...the only ones he's jinxed are Tom Ince and Ousman Dembele (and Chilwell).

This is good news!

Welcome to Liverpool VVD!

Too much?

Maybe, but Nikola's jinxing powers are a myth!

(updated)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Anfield rd Dreamer and redfanman like this.