Virgil van Dijk (CB) Southampton

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Let me interfere for a moment, mate:

- Sturridge - eternally injured
    - Coates - flopped
    - Marković - flopped
    - Bogdan - flopped
    - Ings - unluckiest first teamer we've had since I started following Liverpool
    - Karius - backup to mighty Mignolet
    - Kolo... OK, you can't jinx Kolo, actually he couldn't bring as much good luck as we needed to break the jinx

So, either Van Dijk wins quadruple with Man City or he spends the next few years keeping our medical team in job.

You're still wonderful but no escaping the fact that I'm the jinx here.

2. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

He did bring some of his wisdom and bestowed to poor Sakho though...

redfanman likes this.
  3. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Wijnaldum as well though, I think?!

redfanman likes this.
  4. OllieRed

OllieRed OllieRed

Would be over the moon if we could get VVD here and if we could include sakho in the deal even happier again.:celebrating:

CoolLiverpool likes this.
  5. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Chelsea and Man City figure to be involved in bidding for Van Dijk as well, though it's clear which of the 3 teams below could use another good CB the most...

Man City:
    Stones (22), Otamendi (29), Kompany (31)... + Mangala and Denayer on loan

Chelsea:
    Cahill (31), Luiz (29), Zouma (22), Terry (36) + Aké (22) and Christensen on loan

Liverpool:
    Matip (25), Lovren (27), Klavan (31), Lucas (29), Gomez (19)

Wouldn't surprise me to see Michael Keane end up at one of these 3 clubs this summer too.

6. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Bonucci this week has been talking about how much he loves Pep and the Prem. He's obviously a fine defender, but I think his overall ability is often under rated. It was this ability that helped Pirlo prolong his career at Juve. Teams knew that if they simply tried to man mark Pirlo out of the game then Bonuci would take over the play making role. That forced teams to defend a bit more honestly, which gave Pirlo the space he needed. It's for this reason I suspect Pep will really push for him. And I'm fine with that. If they're going to spend 50 million on another defender, as fine a player as he is I would prefer they spent it on someone who will be 30 by the time next season starts than some just entering his prime.

7. Nikola

Oh, that explains the backpasses...

redfanman and Makati Red like this.
  8. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

And Chilwell, Bony and Walcott, I think there was a lot more before the Great Crash, in fact... I get the feeling Nik has been on a bit of a self-imposed exile since then ;-)

redfanman likes this.
  9. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Still though, about 2/3rds of the rumoured targets threads Nik opens do actually happen. That's a pretty good hit-rate so bodes well for our chances of getting Virgil :-)

Nikola and redfanman like this.
  10. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Can you change your fucking avatar already.....fuck.....

You could post the winning lottery numbers with that and I'd still be sad....

redfanman likes this.
  11. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Wins 4.7 duals a game, higher interceptions than any defender we have, organises the defensive line, EPL proven.. Yes please.

12. Nikola

Oi, Hope, we've got an optimist here, mate!

Actually, it was ubermick who set this avatar when I wasn't looking, I think he implied that I'm a pessimist. Don't know where he got that! This picture grew on me in the meantime. :-)

13. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Another vastly overrated CB from Southampton, for an excruciating amount of money... when will we ever learn?... :rolleyes:

Anyway, there is probably nothing in this, and I'd very much hope so!

Edit: just seen that Nik opened the thread. Very relieved about that! :-)

(or, as Nik suggested above, he'll sign for those 50 millions, and then keep the physios busy...:(()

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  14. JustHitMyHead

JustHitMyHead TIA Reserve Team

For a decent fee around 30m to 35m.... maybe (as long as we got a good price for Sakho).

But I find it strange that we would need to spend 50m to find a good partner for Matip who we signed on a Bosman.

Livvy likes this.
  15. Zinedine Biscan

Or to look at it another way, average of £25m a player for two CBs to last us the next 6-7 years apiece (if not more)....

redfanman likes this.
  16. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

I think you have to look at our business as a whole and to be fair the last two Summers our business has been pretty good. basically spent no money and improved the squad.

This summer is the time to save the money we have saved and give the manager a squad to fight for the CL and PL

17. lfc.eddie

You didn't say that in another thread, in fact in Klopp's thread you were bashing the last summer window transfer activity, or lack of.

18. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Pointless exercise Ed. He's already forgotten what he's said. :yawn:

In fact, in a week or so he'll be slating everyone for having not spent on improving the squad while being disappointed that we haven't signed up anyone in the next window yet despite the fact it hasn't opened.

After all this time I still cannot see how Makati can reconcile all the contradictions he comes up and still keep on posting without an inkling of them.:?:

19. Makati Red

Ha ha ha its quite a simple reconciliation for the money we spent in the summer we did excellent business especially selling players. So for the money we spent great business. However we should have spent more and like all windows it can always be better. Clearly the Sakho debacle was the worst of it, once you know you wont be playing him you have to go and get a replacement especially with Matip injury of the time. We were basically two players short a winger and a CB

20. lfc.eddie

Fucking hell, in one post you contradict yourself at least 4 times. Champion....

21. Zinedine Biscan

I think my favourite part is Klopp being at fault for not buying a CB in the summer to account for all the injuries that Matip hadn't gotten yet.

If I understand the thinking correctly, then this summer we either needed 1 CM, or if the Ox has really signed, then him AND another CM, to cover for Ox's injuries.

Simples lol

*weeps*

Livvy and Scott Jones like this.
  22. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Fuck me, why do I even bother. Have a look at that.

23. JustHitMyHead

JustHitMyHead TIA Reserve Team

Frankly I think it is the system that is broken more than it is our defenders who are that poor. Thus I'm not convinced Vvd will necessarily be a success and for 50m that is a huge gamble.

Sakho, Lovren and Klavan all looked great elsewhere. And much lesser CBs and teams have shown much greater ability defending set pieces.

Makati Red likes this.
  24. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

It's probably a bit of both but signing better players won't hurt. Not sure Klavan has looked 'great' elsewhere either. Liverpool have been noticeably better with Lovren and Matip starting together than with Lucas or Klavan there, even though that partnership is far from flawless it shows how better individuals can help. I haven't checked the stats on that so someone feel free to prove my argument is balderdash.

25. Makati Red

This
    its to do with 3 we play in midfield with only one player in a deep lying role whereas Utd, Cfc, spurs all play with 2dms, Spurs clearly have the best balance between attack and defence ie they scored the most goals, same as us and conceded the least

26. Zinedine Biscan

Would also quibble Lovren looking great elsewhere. He had a good season prior to us signing him, granted, although there remains some doubt as to whether that was aided by being micro-managed by Fonte. Before then, as best I can tell, he'd had a very up and down career, at one point appearing on worst players lists in France etc. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, that's pretty much the Lovren we ended up with, don't think he's deteriorated any now that BR's gone anyway.

Sakho similarly.

redfanman likes this.
  27. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

My recollection of Lovren at Soton was him being good, getting injured, then being a bit up and down when he came back. He was a bit rubbish when we beat them 3-0 at St Mary's that season for example.

lfc.eddie, redfanman and NickF like this.
  28. Makati Red

Lovren also had one of the best defensive managers in the PL, I bet Lovren would look ace at Spurs

29. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Save the money that we have saved? how does that help?

Livvy likes this.
  30. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Lovren had shown at Lyon exactly how rash he is, he was great for half a season at saints