Virgil van Dijk (CB) Southampton

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Why not sign them both

2. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I don't rate Koulibaly as top class, while I'm not ready to call van Dijk a £50m CB either (yes I know sometimes you have to pay over the odds), though he does have a coctail of interesting qualities for that position. They are a bit different as well.

3. KillerBeeLFC

KillerBeeLFC TIA Reserve Team

Sorry I havent kept up with my replies.
    My stance on Van Dijk which others may share is that if the club truly believe he is someone who can help us push to the next level then we should pay at least what other clubs are offering or more. Its what we used to do years ago when we won titles.

Although I would love to see him here for me its less about the player in question and more about us having the balls to say we want this guy we are going to get him. This can obviously go wrong with the wrong people in charge of things but I trust klopp to know which players are worth the risk. If we get someone for a fraction of the price who performs then its happy days but if the cheaper alternative doesnt improve us then whats the point? We just buy another 1 or 2 next year and it ends up costing the club just much and delays the progress yet again.

50 million is silly money for a defender but its all silly money these days and in a world where John Stones, David Luiz and Sterling are £50 million players Van Dijk is worth at least that.

Scott Jones and rupzzz like this.
  4. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

Do people really think it is wise to pay a club record fee for a defender who's just sustained a six month injury? Seems awfully dangerous.

5. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Guess that's why they do a medical, no?

6. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

I guess we didn't perform a medical on Aquilani when he signed then? Pretty sure it's impossible to completely determine a players future fitness and performance levels in a 2 day exam. Regardless of the outcome of a medical, we'll be taking a risk that he doesn't re-aggravate what seems to be a pretty serious injury. Especially considering the fee attached, there's no way this shouldn't be considered when talking about his suitability as a signing.

7. OllieRed

OllieRed OllieRed

Van Dijk is PL proven Koulibaly is a bit rash in the tackle, I would prefer V VD.

8. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Aqualani was injured when we signed him wasn't he? And except an illness wasn't that the only injury during out time? Maybe a knock?

9. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Koulibaly seems from the Sakho school of defending. Balls on the line powerhouse centre back. Seems a bit wrong to go looking for such a player when there is one on the books

schmee, Scott Jones and Limiescouse like this.
  10. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Guardiola signed an injured Gündogan, Gündogan played some games until he managed another (longterm) injury... if Klopp would have done that...:shocked:

It's a big risk imo

11. Makati Red

id have Michael Keane over both of them

12. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

What in particular makes you say that?

I rate Keane, very good CB, but he's not at the same level as Van Dijk or Koulibaly.

For instance, not saying that height is all that matters but Van Dijk and Koulibaly are 1,93m and 1,95m respectively, whereas Keane is only 1,88 (like Lovren). That makes a big difference as Keane isn't anywhere near as dominant aerially or physically as those two.

13. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

VVD is a beast in the air, wins 4.7 aerial duals a game. Will help us no end on set pieces, Klopp will start going man to man I think.

redfanman likes this.
  14. Makati Red

I just think he would be better than both but always thought Keane was taller so that clearly is a consideration. I also think he would be a very good foil for Matip.

Most importantly we can sign Keane with or without CL football, pretty sure the other two wouldnt come without it.

15. rickardinho1

First you said that Keane is better than both Van Dijk/Koulibaly... but then you implied that Keane would only be a backup for Matip... That's something of a contradiction there, as Van Dijk/Koulibaly aren't "foil" options - unlike Keane.

There's also a good reason why Van Dijk/Koulibaly wouldn't join without CL football - and it's because the CL is their level... and as you said yourself Keane wouldn't have any problems joining a non-CL club - because he is clearly a level below CB's who would only join CL clubs - i.e. Van Dijk/Koulibaly.

kenno91 likes this.
  16. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Word to the wise, trying to argue with Makati and pin him down to a single standpoint is like trying to have a fistfight with fog.

Semmy, Kanonkop, schmee and 12 others like this.
  17. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Foil doesn't mean backup.

18. Makati Red

As Redfanman pointed out Foil doesnt mean back up it means a CB partner that compliments his style.

Most importantly whoevever we buy we need them to have a better injury record than Matip or Lovren who have both lost near a third of the games so far, its why we need two more CBs and at least one who is available for most of the games

redfanman likes this.
  19. rickardinho1

What is it specifically about Keane that would complement Matip better than Van Dijk or Koulibaly?

20. Makati Red

Silk and Steel

21. rupzzz

rupzzz TIA Regular

VVD is both silky and steely

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  22. gr_sounder

gr_sounder Always Watching

Never let facts get in the way of a good argument.

23. dazzy b

dazzy b New Member

I tried to throw a punch at fog once...

Mist.......

Semmy, kenno91, Wyld@Heart and 15 others like this.
  24. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Dont let that cloud your judgement, try again! :J

25. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

My wife is always telling me that the extra 0.07m makes all the difference.

Size obviously does matter

legalalien, inaiq and redfanman like this.
  26. CoolLiverpool

CoolLiverpool New Member

Liverpool sure could use van dijk to secure their defensive problems. Lovren and matip are good but simply not really good enough to match up to other ace defenders such as koscielny and luiz

27. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

As I said... it's just a number. Pay it, bring him in if we believe he is the best CB available.

Maria, NickF, lfc.eddie and 1 other person like this.
  28. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Aye, after this weekend I think his value just increased by 5 million

redfanman and NickF like this.
  29. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Agree..... I don't want Lovren playing as a starter for us next season. He cannot learn from his mistakes, he did it twice in one game and cost us 2 goals as a result. How much more training and educating does one need to learn from mistakes he made regularly?

LaurazRed and NickF like this.
  30. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I agree. Get it done. Painful how easy it is to score against us most games.

LaurazRed and NickF like this.