What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'TV, Film, and Music' started by Upstate_Chad, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

2. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

I remember one difference, in Egypt, the the letter G is Gah as in the name Gamal, but in the Levant region they say the letter J, Jah as in Jamal and there is no P in Arabic right? I found listening to the Gulf dialects very harsh and rough tbh compared Levant region.

eng.amohd likes this.
  3. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

Yeah there are no P in here, and the letter ج is maybe the single letter in which differences are most visible

In Egypt and Levant is it as you say. Gulf pronounces it a bit like the Levant too, while North Africans put a sort of 'd' before it.
    Letter ق or Q is quite different too
    In Egypt we say it as 'Qa'
    In the Gulf they say it as 'Ga' in the same way we Egyptians pronounce ج

Maria likes this.
  4. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

5. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

The beauty of these singers, when they do concerts, they can either have full orchestras and just one guitar and it sounds beautiful.

ETA: He also sings some famous songs in English too.

eng.amohd likes this.
  6. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

Be careful you maybe converting me

redfanman, Maria and eng.amohd like this.
  7. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Music and Football (or any sport) brings communities together. They should be part of the peace process.

Livvy, eng.amohd and LaurazRed like this.
  8. LaurazRed

LaurazRed The hopeful one

Completely agree, worldwide that's how it should be. Music and sport are universal. That's my view. I love both.

Livvy, Maria and eng.amohd like this.
  9. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

Playing two brilliant Brazilian musicians' collaboration to feel more confident about our boys collaboration up front today:

Milton Nascimento & Lô Borges ' Clube Da Esquina' 1972

redfanman, eng.amohd and Maria like this.
  10. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

@Jimmyscase , this is so summery and relaxing to hear.

11. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Chris Cornell has passed away, all of a sudden. Devastating news, don't know what else to say.

12. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

In memoriam Chris Cornell

13. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Active Member

Rip Chris Cornell

14. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

Fell on black days RIP

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Strictly Armchair and RaoulDuke like this.
  15. RaoulDuke

Hopefully not "Like Suicide".

Incredible voice. If I think about it he might have been the best rock singer of his generation.
    Among the so called grunge/alternative bands for sure.

16. Alright Now

A friend said he saw Chris play Times They Are a-Changing last year. Chris apparently said he called Bob to get permission. There was silence and Chris started freaking. Then, in Dylan's inimitable voice, Chris said Dylan quietly replied, "That would be so cool, man."

Broke me.

redfanman and RaoulDuke like this.
  17. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

18. Nikola

What drives an intelligent, talented, attractive, popular individual to end his life... Incidentally, I listened to Soundgarden (and Audioslave) in past three months more than any other band, kind of rediscovered them, and I was looking forward to the next album... Man, what a loss to rock'n'roll and humanity.

19. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Shocking and depressing news about Chris Cornell. One of those moments when your stomach sinks when you see the headline pop up. To me he'll always be the humongous voiced singer whose pipes richly adorned what is still my all time favourite album, 'Superunknown' by Soundgarden. RIP fella and thanks for all the pleasure your singing has brought me for well in excess of two decades :-(

Despite my tinnitus, that album and his first solo effort, 'Euphoria Morning' will be getting a blast over the next few days.

20. Alright Now

I don't know how to link anything. Far too inept. But check out Chris with Cat Stevens singing Wild World on YouTube. Nothing more needs to be said.

Livvy likes this.
  21. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Maria and Alright Now like this.
  22. Alright Now

Thank you, Livvy.

Livvy likes this.
  23. RaoulDuke

Well, maybe it was their nature to remain unhappy.
    Because if you look at the music the so called grunge bands made, it was negative, unhappy and depressive most of the time.
    And unlike with later bands like papa roach, linkin park etc it wasn't just an act to cater to some teenagers.
    The lead singers of Nirvana, AIC, stone temple pilots and now soundgarden are all dead.
    And according to their biographies the money and fame didn't really make them happier. Maybe for a while.

When Cobain killed himself in 1994 I was shocked but not very surprised. One of his last songs was even called "I hate myself and want to die" (allegedly tongue in cheek when it was released).

If you like Soundgarden and Audio Slave you should also listen to the temple of the dog album.
    That album itself was a tribute from Chris Cornell to his friend, Rock Singer Andrew Wood, who died in 1990.

Maria and redfanman like this.
  24. Nikola

Yeah, these guys' life stories were truly tragic, I don't understand how a lot of people still treat depression as something you can just shake off, "play a happy song, get drunk, get laid, you'll be as good as new tomorrow". I'm not a fan of grunge music per se but I've always admired personalities of people like Cobain. Even though I'm an opponent of suicide, if there's anything like that, and feel so bitter about it, I still feel awfully sorry for them. Layne was killing himself for long, long time (just listen to Mad Season's "Wake Up", his dialogue with himself about his addiction), Cobain and Cornell just used different means to their ends... With these guys, you never got the impression they wanted money or fame, just a valve through which they could release the pressure building up inside of them. And their music is a similar valve to a lot of their fans.

I know of Temple of the Dog, namely their song Say Hello 2 Heaven... I wonder how many people will cover it with dedication to Cornell...

RaoulDuke and redfanman like this.
  25. RaoulDuke

@Nikola

That would be meta if bands cover "say hello 2 heaven" as tribute to Cornell.
    I hope they'll also mention and remember Andrew Wood if they do.
    Can't remember their other songs (because it seems as if it was a lifetime ago), but Chloe Dancer is brilliant (from Mother Love Bone).

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 12:33 PM
    Nikola likes this.
  26. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

"Hunger Strike" was sort of a hit for them at the time.

Alright Now, Nikola and RaoulDuke like this.
  27. Cologne-Liverpool

Cologne-Liverpool Well-Known Member

This is my personal favourite from Soundgarden, used to love it at the time and still do:

Nikola likes this.
  28. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

Oh, you lot. My ears will soon start to sound like the runways at Heathrow with all the stuff I'm now listening to. Will have to wean myself off music by listening to the Lighthouse Family.

Good shout re 'Hunger Strike' @Cologne-Liverpool. That may have been the first time I heard Chris Cornell and certainly the first time many of us had heard Eddie Vedder.

I thought that the 'Temple of the Dog' album was highly enjoyable in its entirety. Just a pity that its creation was due to the untimely demise of another vocalist. Of course, it goes without saying that without the passing of Andrew Wood, it's very unlikely that Pearl Jam would ever have come into existence. 'Apple' by MLB was a more than fair album which seems to have, sadly, just got lost in the mists of time. Still merits a listen.

Cologne-Liverpool and Nikola like this.
  29. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

My tribute to Chris Cornell. RIP.

30. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Something about this song that I really enjoy, and I think it's obvious what it is.