What the wife doesn't know, can't hurt her.

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by Jase, Mar 14, 2017.

?

Current Premier League teams. Pick up to 3

1. Arsenal

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Bournemouth

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  3. Burnley

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Chelsea

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Crystal Palace

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Everton

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  7. Hull

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Leicester

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  9. Manchester City

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  10. Manchester Utd

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  11. Middlesborough

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  12. Southampton

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  13. Stoke

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  14. Sunderland

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  15. Swansea

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  16. Tottenham

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  17. Watford

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  18. West Bromwich Albion

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  19. West Ham Utd

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

I was having a chat with a mate who's an ardent Chelsea fan the other week. Long story short, he's a Chelsea fan first, football second.

If that's you, then fair play to you. I love football first. I'm quite happy to watch games that have little or nothing to do with Liverpool. Doesn't mean I love this club any less, I see it as more things to enjoy.

A natural side effect of that is that I often find myself feeling kindly (or not) towards certain other teams.

At times I'll project personalities on to teams and want them to do well, like Swansea when Monk was in charge, Blackpool under Holloway. The opposite is also true. For example, any team managed by Alan Pardew or Allardyce can do one as far as I'm concerned.. and I love that. Drama, drama, drama, it all adds to the experience. True it's probably influenced by how much of a threat I think they may be to us, how progressive a brand of football they play, and how genuine or entertaining their manager seems.

So, do you have a soft spot for any other teams in the English top flight?

Reasons can be anything.. a particular match, they did us a favour, you like their manager (at whatever time), a certain player, their kit.. whatever. Say why in the comments.

I would have liked a longer list in the poll to include say, all the teams who have ever been in the Premier League since its creation in '92, but the poll only allows 20 choices.

List here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_clubs

Feel free to name them anyway in your reply.

2. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I think my opinions on clubs in the division can change wildly from season to season, even within a season, depending on who the manager is... as well as Allardyce and Pardew, both of which I would say applies to me as well, I'd add Pulis. Wherever these shit-houses end up, I immediately start wishing the downfall of those clubs.

There are obviously other factors, rivalries, clubs who seem to get a result against any time we play them, or those who generally play a brand of football I don't enjoy, even if I don't have a particular grudge against the current manager, like Villa, for instance (was pleased they went down), or Boro.

But all that aside, there are probably a maximum of three I generally don't wish any harm on and don't mind when they do well... that's probably about as close to a soft spot as I get!

Bournemouth, because they're a small club who've backed a young manager who plays an attractive brand of football, and reaping all the rewards of that.

Swansea because historically they've been a smaller club who've built themselves up the right way... they did lose that way probably around the time Laudrup arrived, but I think with Clement they're again getting back to where they used to be.

Saints because they came out the other side of some very rough times a completely rejuvenated club that seem to have their heads screwed on right, promote their own youth and their entire method of identifying players and even managers is quite remarkable. By all rights they should have fallen away that summer we and a couple of other clubs gutted them of their best players, which seems to happen every summer since, but they continue to go from strength to strength. They should be lauded for that, even if their forums are anything to go by their fans hate our guts.

3. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

That is me too. I have frequently developed a soft spot for someone else, and sometimes even made a point of watching their games when they didnt clash with ours, but nothing that persists beyond whatever isolated issue made me warm to them. For instance, I loved the initial good Southampton side under Poch with Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez, but barely give them a second glance now and havent purposefully watched one of their games for a couple of years.

4. Zinedine Biscan

Yeah, I'm probably mostly thinking of that Poch-era Saints side. I don't watch their games - my time these days barely allows me to watch our matches! - but I still think the almost Bowie-like way they continually reinvent themselves regardless of which players or managers they lose continues to be admirable.

5. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

There are a lot more clubs I have soft spots for outside the PL than in. The two I have a soft spot for right now are West Ham and Everton, both for fairly basic emotive reasons from growing up. When I was a kid in the '70's in the UK, the first decent coach I had was a Hammers fan and had us dressed in Hammers kit, he absolutely lived for the Hammers, his enthusiasm was infectious, and as well as a decent coach he was a decent man.

Similarly, my first competent coach in Canada was a born Evertonian, immigrant from Liverpool and an absolute gent. His idea of the rivalry was very much of the older type, 'capital of football' rather than the Bitters. I think to this day my ideal PL season is Everton going 36-2 and finishing second.

Other than that, as above it is really a function of style. I loved watching Rory Delap inflicting carnage on Arsenal a few years ago, I admired Rodgers' Swansea.

For me, the soft spots run much more to the names that somehow should be in the top flight like Forest, Derby.....just not Leeds.

6. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

For me and it often fluctuates pretty wildly from season-to-season. One season's favourite underdog might then simply transform to then appointing a win-at-all-costs manager etc.

Whoever is the clear underdog, but still plays the right way or who else has a manager (or even a single player, or two) who just excites for some reason or another.

I can even admire Conte's Chelsea this season (and especially their utter annihilation yesterday in the FA Cup of Mou's ManU team). Admire, but not ever support though. Genuine support would tend to be reserved for your more lowly clubs like Forest's or the Ipswich's of yesteryear (who had both great teams and also had great managers too aka Cloughie and Bobby Robson).

I can however still very much and possibly grudgingly admire a great Arsenal side (under Wenger) or an ultra-attacking ManU team under Fergie (maybe 07~08 era etc) or even Mou's very first Chelsea and his very attacking team then. All game-changers (and ground-breakers too) in the more modern era of EPL football.

I would also like Koeman to take Everton upwards atm as well. Not to ever usurp LFC of course, but to just maybe have Everton getting back towards being a genuine force in the EPL game, which has not happened for so many years. However some of LFC's best-ever season's possibly happened because of being just forced to be better, because of a real in-city threat and impetus angle from EFC being so good themselves.

No way we were ever going to let the crowd from across Stanley park in L4 get the better of us ;-) That type of competition and motivation is maybe very important here. If Everton does get strong, then that de-facto forces LFC to get very strong too.

Scott Jones and redbj like this.
  7. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I realise I am risking a ban for admitting this, but I jumped out of my chair celebrating when Keeane scored that goal in the Delle Alpi in 99. I had access to so little televised football back then and being new to another country that was quite critical of British football I guess I just became very pro-British.

cardiffpete likes this.
  8. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

OK, since you admitted THAT, I have to say that I have a soft spot for, erm... Everton. I've said a few times that, being a relative greenhorn, I'm desperate to live through the repeat of the 80s (i.e. loads of great metal albums to be released and Merseyside to be the capital of English football, with, of course, Liverpool edging Everton as country's and Europe's best). Everton winning more often than not would do that and I love it when they beat Mancs. Also, the support they've given to Hillsborough campaign has always looked honest and touching to me.

I've also always liked Newcastle, great stadium, crazy bunch of fans, rarely a dull game. I tend to watch their home games whenever I can, and their derby against Sunderland is probably the most entertaining in Premier League (not always because of football matters, though).

cardiffpete and MViper like this.
  9. Spikered

Spikered New Member

Man City for the best premier league goal ever. (Sunderland fans for the best reaction).
    Leicester for the best premier league title ever.
    Palace for their passionate fans. Although I'd like them more if they'd lost that game 9-0.

10. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

I have a weak spot for clubs who have a strong set of supporters and a genuine football stadium. Typically, they have a traditional English stadium, the best model for a football stadium: four stands around the pitch, as near to it as possible. Leeds, Crystal Palace, Portsmouth, there are still many in England. The Toon army are quite good too, and while St. James Park is one of the newer stadia, it has a distinct atmospheric quality. No wonder that Rafa likes it there.

As an outsider to the city and it's peculiar rivalships, and just like Nikola and others, I'd wish to see us first at all times, and Everton just behind. They are Liverpool as well, and I love this city and the people. Goodison is also one of those nice traditional stadia to enjoy.

I dislike apathetic sets of fans like Man City's, Chelsea's, Arsenal's and others, especially when they are sat in these interchangeable bowls without any identity. Some stadia are special and it's a pity that some have been destroyed in recent times. I used to like Highbury for instance (although the fans were never the loudest), and Upton Park is another example of a nice atmospheric ground which now doesn't exist anymore. The loss in atmosphere since they have moved to the olympic stadium is noticeable. Tottenham are likely to lose a part of their atmosphere as well when they move into their new stadium. Have a look at this:

[​IMG]
    F*cking idiots... giving up White Hart Lane for this... they'll regret it, just like West Ham fans already regret Upton Park.

Anyway, I digress a bit, but for me, the fans and the way they enter in symbiosis with their stadium is the most important aspect. The atmosphere they generate, the chants etc. That's why elsewhere, I have a weak spot for Dortmund, for some Northern France clubs like Lens or Caen, for Celtic, for Barca or Atletico.

But Anfield is and remains the best. Of course... :-)

Maria and SBYM like this.
  11. Zinedine Biscan

Still no votes for West Brom or Stoke. Is there a something that connects those two clubs I wonder... :think:

12. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I always admire the hardworking small clubs that build themselves slowly over the years until becoming a force. Swans, Burnley and Bournemouth all fit the bill. Saints did too, but they are now an established midtable team, and our games this season and last, made me lose the soft spot I had for them. Another club I admire is Newcastle and I would really like to see them next season, ironically instead of their arch-rivals :-)

13. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Had a soft(ish) spot for Celtic at one point. Gradually reached a point now of complete indifference somehow. My love for Liverpool is all encompassing to the point where I used to arrange my life with the now ex around our fixture list and where I did, and still do, arrange my work schedule around it. I miss a game so rarely that I can count the ones I have over a fairly long period of time on one hand (vs Chelsea and City away in December 13/14 and Hull at home earlier this season).

No time for soft spots or energy for anything else except to hope against hope for those teams playing against United, Chelsea and City (in hate order) and Arsenal and Spurs (simply because they're in the way). I feel an obviously unhealthy joy in other English teams struggling in Europe and jealous envy when they succeed because that should be us competing there, not them.

I have a jealous mistress I fear, or at least thats the way I feel in my head. ;-)

Zoran and ILLOK like this.
  14. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

Well, now there is a vote for west brom :-)

15. Zinedine Biscan

I'm not angry, just disappointed.

16. RaoulDuke

Solely personal reasons, because of a relative.
    It was a tough choice between west brom and southampton to pick the 3rd team.
    Why don't you like them?

17. Zinedine Biscan

It's basically Pulis, to be quite honest. As I said in my first post on this thread, my sentiments regarding other clubs in the divisions tends to shift pretty frequently, often based on who's managing them at that time.

18. RaoulDuke

Yeah, I thought it was Pulis. Can't stand him either.
    If Wolves were available I would have picked them over west brom.

19. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Dortmund, the day I saw the players getting up on the fence and talking to people in The Wall, couple of years back when they were in a rough patch. Speaks of a connection between the club and the fans. And I love watching the rivalry with Schalke, great matches.

Norwich. Met a couple from there when I was traveling in Prague. Watched a match with the dad, their son is now in their youth program. This was when Paul Lambert was in charge and I really enjoyed watching them.

West Brom - they did a tour in 82 and I got to see them play the NASL Whitecaps (had just signed Peter Beardsley, still have the triangular pinnies commemorating it. Best footballer I had ever seen in-person until I had to step onto the pitch against Ivor Evans in a tournament. I hate Pulis, my respect for the baggies is fading.....

Napoli - because of Maradona, and because I was in Florence drinking at the Joshua Tree pub when Cavani put 4 past Inter. Oddly enough, the bar was full of Inter fans but they were nice to the dumb Canadian whose jacket was the same color blue as Napoli.

Wish I was joking about that, I was legit scared for a bit

Maria and Jase like this.
  20. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

I have respect for a lot of clubs, but nothing comes even close to Liverpool, that's also outside the PL and generally in sports terms. Who would have the time, energy and willingness to follow another club so closely every day, not me. Soft spots... as others have said, it's more towards football teams/players of different clubs at different periods. I like players like De Bruyne or Mkhitaryan, will never hide that. I respect different styles too, from coaches to players. Word 'hate' also too strong for me, I care less and less about what United do, not 15 anymore. No jealousy either, I'm just angry at us for not doing some right things in the past and just care that we get it right more often than not (knowing that there are clubs who are financially on a different level to us at the moment). Proud of what we are and I concentrate just on that. Met some great people through following Liverpool, still to this day amazed how much support we have, everywhere you go.

Maria likes this.
  21. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Bournemouth, I spent my time at Uni there, went often due to the student tickets so they are a second club, I like some other clubs down the lower leagues and I spent a year down the Palace last season but bar Bournemouth it's only really Liverpool for me.

redfanman and Maria like this.
  22. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

I have soft spot for my local team Ipswich Town.

Like Ajax and everything they stand for.

I also like Brazil. Their '82 World Cup side with their style and some of the cracking goals they banged in will forever be etched into my memory.

RaoulDuke likes this.
  23. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

I picked B'mouth coz I think Howe is a decent fella and Boro coz of a friend.

Great post.

I was watching MotD2 last night...I haven't paid a great deal of attention, but Good Lord, watching the WH/Lei game...what a massive pile of shit that stadium is for football.

Horrendous.

redfanman and Hope in your heart like this.
  24. i_still_miss_fowler

i_still_miss_fowler Well-Known Member Moderator

If Liverpool is the wife, that must make Everton the old slapper down the street.

As Rooney knows its not called the Grand old lady for nothing.

SBYM, redfanman and AussieLFC79 like this.
  25. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

In England, if it's not Liverpool, it's nobody. I used to admire the way Arsenal play under Wenger's early days, I enjoyed the way they play with a very strict principles which everyone knows but cannot stop them. That's the best. But I can never call them the second club I would support or follow. So no one particular club, as long as they beat United when they play against them, I am a fan of theirs for that game.

Robot Phobia and Wyld@Heart like this.
  26. Hope in your heart

Someone voted for the red mancs... :shocked:

27. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

Finally!

That was the point of this whole thread.. we've found the mole

Seriously tho, while i wish nothing but misery on them and theirs these days, i have to admit cheering when they had that crazy finish in the Bayern CL final back in 97 or 99 or whenever it was... amazing game

SBYM likes this.
  28. Hope in your heart

Unfortunately not, as the vote is anonymous... ^^

29. Jase

Jase Well-Known Member

but ur an admin??

30. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Apparently through public shaming, that guy has changed his vote. Sad.....

redfanman likes this.