What would constitute a good summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Zinedine Biscan, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Can I ask what Joe Hart has done to warrant such a wanting? He is full of errors, can't kick/distribute for shit and flaps under crosses.. Basically Mignolet but English.

2. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

And Migs is a better shot stopper too

redfanman and Iluvatar like this.
  3. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

At least when he hasnt, literally, turned his back to the game.

redfanman likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Am I my own mentor or my own worst enemy?

Lots of sun, low pollen count, let me take my daughter to the beach we can see out the front window without both of us freezing and without hayfever rendering me blind......

...think I may have misinterpreted the question :tongue:

redalways likes this.
  5. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Ahhhh the good old norn iron summers....which are just like the winters but wetter lol

schmee and redfanman like this.
  6. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

My ideal summer involves the knowledge we are headed back to CL (finally) and seeing 4 new bodies in our squad.

redfanman likes this.
  7. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Hart is actually a downgrade on Mignolet, he is error-prone, has a terrible arrogant attitude and I can see exactly why Pep wanted shot at the earliest opportunity. Not what we need.I have a strong feeling that if we are patient, Karius will come good for us.

Livvy, Scott Jones and Iluvatar like this.
  8. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

So new shared training ground for Acadamy and 1st team.. Check!

9. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

Valid points, but there's definitely a class keeper in there, we should buy him, get him to the training ground and see if we can turn him into a worldie.....

redfanman likes this.
  10. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

[​IMG]

11. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Hart is someone who everyone respects and bigs up for fuck all,I can imagine him being decent but mainly fucking annoying with frustration growing quick,thick as pig shit.

12. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

On the Hart issue.

I'm not his biggest fan, but as a stop gap for 1-2 years it's fine. It's probably an easy deal to get done, which is also important in a summer in which we expect a lot of business going on.

We could go for someone like Timo Horn, but that basically kills Karius' Liverpool career before it's really begun.

13. Pecl

Pecl New Member

I think we need another pacy winger in the attack, more than these calls for an out-and-out striker. We are the top scorers in the league so don't think goals are the problem. What we need in attack is another player of Mane's ilk and then a top class striker (and sell Sturridge). Would be very happy with that. Brandt/Inaki + Lacazette would be amazing.

Scott Jones likes this.
  14. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Hart is never a down-grade on Mignolet imo. I say that as someone who doesn't lash Migs with the same amount of hate as most and someone who doesn't particularly rate Hart either.

He's probably a similar shot stopper (Mignolet doesn't let as many soft ones in as Hart but Hart can pull of strings of world class saves), if not a bit better, and he's better in the air whilst also being much louder/better communicator.

1dragon likes this.
  15. redbj

redbj crowd fund for you to shut up give me the details

whilst id have some sympathy for Karius...that's life at the very top...he really, really has struggled.

if you are getting dropped for Mignolet..its kinda telling

redfanman likes this.
  16. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

I agree, but maybe not for the right reasons. I'd prefer a left footer but I'm not too fussed, but I do think we've seen Milner's perfomance drop over the last couple of months, whether that's due to fatigue or whatever. It seems we're really intent on Chilwell, which leaves me feeling a bit uneasy if I'm perfectly honest, but if Klopp trusts Wagner's judgement so much then so be it.

As for TAA not cutting it, I think he already is.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  17. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

I think it is really too early to define what a good summer is - too much is going to depend on where we finish up. If we are looking at Europa League play, adding enough quality in maybe 3-4 positions to mount a title challenge next year is a good summer. That same summer is barely adequate if we are trying to compete in the CL.

Artrain and redfanman like this.
  18. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

A good summer for me would be spent somewhere by a mountain lake with Elizabeth Hurley secure in the knowledge that a Champion's League campaign awaits.

I'll leave it to the management. Make two or three smart purchases that improve the team ahead of that campaign.

19. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Did Hart Join City while Karius was there? If so, i dont think the latter would like the idea of him coming in.

If Karius is here for the long term, i am not sure bringing in Hart as a stop gap makes much sense. Would rather use the money on someone much better, or stick with Migs and use the money elsewhere.

Kopstar likes this.
  20. melbournered

melbournered New Member

Having just watched us play Inter Milan in the Champions League on LFCTV from a few years ago just reinforced to me how good Mascherano was.And what we are so desperately missing.A monster defensive midfielder. There has got to be someone out there. No frills no fuss, protects the centre backs, strong in the tackle,lays off simple passes, provides an opportunity for everyone else to do the fancy stuff. A player that his teammates can rely on. I mean FFS Leicester were able to get one.Chelsea of course have him now. Why can't we? Then again some may think that this type of player isn't that important. What do you think?

Artrain likes this.
  21. LFC_5

LFC_5 Member

Next season I'm hoping for :-

New GK
    Clyne
    Matip
    New CB
    New LB
    New DM
    Henderson / New CM
    Lallana
    Mane
    Coutinho
    New ST (preferably a fast cunt)

Pecl likes this.
  22. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I am also a big fan of Masch. However, i dont see a player like that as being integral to how we play at the moment. Most of the goals we concede are not because we lack a DM, and most of the teams we have demolished this season have had at least one and sometimes two highly rated DMs.

23. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Oh yeah, that home game against Inter. I remember he chase a player for almost the whole lenght of the pitch. Not sure if it was even needed, we had other players ready to stop the opponent, but it didn't bother him, he was so hungry to get him. That was also the first game when the change with Kuyt on the right & Gerrard behind Torres happened. Lucas also played as Xabi was unavailable (that season when he had some injuries).

redfanman likes this.
  24. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

One consideration that I always forget until later is the home grown quota.

The 7 players we had this season were:

Henderson
    Lallana
    Clyne
    Milner
    Stewart
    Sturridge
    Ings

Now i'm not sure if any of the youth players from this season will be eligible for next season, but IF we sell the last 2 or 3, then we will need to obviously replace them.

I seem to think @Kopstar was clued up on this last year (apologies if not), but if so, how do you see that area of the squad filling out?

Or anyone else for that matter?!

redfanman likes this.
  25. Limiescouse

We are no immediate danger of falling foul of the HG ruling. The issue is not that you have to field 8 players, but that you can include a max of 17 non home grown in the squad of 25. We only have 21 players on our books right now who would have to be registered (I think), giving us a fair amount of flexibility without having to worry about that quota. It's a little more challenging to stay complaint in Europe, but that isnt even really due to the HG quota

Edited for maths

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    redfanman likes this.
  26. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Max of 17 non-home grown.

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.
  27. Limiescouse

Acknowledged.

28. Klopperman

Klopperman New Member

a top quality keeper. sell mignolet for 10m and spunk 30m on Oblak. problem solved and Karius can develop in cup games

Pecl likes this.
  29. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

More so than just a list a players that I brought up earlier, I think what would make this summer successful is simply being left with a squad without obvious flaws.

It sometimes feels that year after year we take one step forward in one respect but two steps back in another.

Obviously there are no guarantees, but often there are things that it seems everyone but the manager is aware of.

redfanman likes this.
  30. Steve_LFC

Steve_LFC Well-Known Member

A good summer would certainly have us qualify for CL. And the team look something like this at summers end.

...... Handanovic.....
    Clyne.... Matip... Van Dijk... Kolasinic
    ............Henderson. ......
    .. Lallana............Coutihno..
    Mane......................Brandt
    ............Firmino...........

Bench:
    Gk: Karius
    Cb: Lovren
    Lb/Cm: Milner
    Dm: E Can
    Cm/Am: Gini W
    Cf/Wf: Origi
    St: S. Azmoun

If Can doesnt sign contract and sold then a DM brought in.
    TAA , Grujic, Woodburn brought in First team as needed.