What would constitute a good summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Zinedine Biscan, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Seriously - is there any one player in this squad you would not consider a bid on? For me, the only players who might be on that list are Coutinho and Mane.

Lowton_Red, legalalien and redfanman like this.
  2. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

That's another reason to consider a few bargain options in my eyes. We've got a fair few needs and players fees are escalating. We could bring in free transfers such as Kolasinic for LB and Weidenfeller for the experienced keeper to compete with Karius and Ward develop. That would then leave cash for our other needs. In fact selling Mignolet and Moreno after they've been replaced for free should help us out. Maybe if Sakho can prove his professionalism to Klopp and be brought back into the fold we might save money on replacing Lucas at CB too.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  3. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I think Weidenfeller is a bit too old, 37 in August. We'd be pretty much stuck with Karius as first choice unless in extreme circumstances (and don't think Ward would be ready yet to take over as no1 mid-season).

But I agree with the principle of us having to be clever in filling what positions we can with quality freebies or players in the last year of their existing contracts. We simply won't be able to afford half a dozen £25m+ purchases in the positions we're in need of strengthening. Similar approach to last summer really, picking up Matip for free while spending big on Mane. There is quality out there to be found for decent prices if we're canny enough.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  4. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

It's one thing considering bargains, it's quite another landing them....same goes for world class players especially when it appears as if we have blown our CL prospects for another season.

5. Sound as a Pound

Sound as a Pound TIA Midfield General

yeah - though after Monday night they all deserved shipped off!

6. EdWood

EdWood TIA Youth Team

A good summer? FSG making a serious statement of intent regarding their ambitions (if any) for this club's future as a successful football team. Those with longer memories may remember when we were one.

I'm not so much interested in how many doughnuts LFC sells, but rather how many football games it wins. My message to the owners, and to a lesser extent the manager, is this one: Show us the money; Invest in the squad by beefing it up with quality like all our rivals have done. Then we may be in a position to use FBs and CBs in the FB and CB roles (imagine that?) instead of expecting midfielders to do the job - badly.

And please, please, please Herr Klopp, buy a freaking DM willya?!

legalalien likes this.
  7. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Yep, we need to add quality which may mean we need to balance the books elsewhere with some financial pragmatism.

I'd do that as follows:

Goalkeeper. Don't spend any more money on goalkeepers until first changing the coaching set-up. Cheaper to get in a good quality coach than to get a really good keeper who we may end up ruining anyway.

LB. Get in Clichy on a free in preference to Kolasinic. Clichy's familiar with the league and playing for top clubs where they are expected to win all the time. He's got good attributes in terms of pace, stamina and passing ability. He can also mentor a younger prospect such as Chilwell or Sessegnon (£10-£15m).

CB: Bring back Sakho rather than selling him for less than £20m and buying a replacement for £30m plus (VVD). Sell Klavan.

So we've improved GK (with better coaching), LB and CB situations all for a spend of about £15-20m.

Depending on our sales (Sturridge, Klavan, Moreno, Bogdan, Ward, Flanagan, Wisdom, Randall, Stewart, Lucas, Can, Chirivella, Markovic, Ings, Awoniyi....) we might have about £60m to add to a kitty that ought to be somewhere between £60 and £90m.

That should leave £100m-£130m to spend on 2/3 absolute quality players.

My targets would be Icardi, Pulisic/Brandt and Keita/Dahoud/Neves (not sure here) someone who will make a good #6 such that they could combine with or cover for Henderson without a noticeable drop-off in quality.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  8. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Boateng is exactly the sort of player we need in that back line, and I read something a while back indicating that he would be willing to leave Bayern. However, he has absolutely nothing good to say about the Prem or football in England in general, and even if he was willing to give it another go, you'd have to think he'd be likely to end up at Citeh given his relationship with Pep and their perpetual search for CBs.

9. Klopperman

Klopperman New Member

Clichy?? The soft left back who makes Moreno look like Maldini? That shows real ambition.

Keita/Dahoud/Neves have you actually seen any of these more than 4 times??

You are just suggesting players that have been linked to us by the tabloids

10. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

That's right, just as the majority of other posters here. I might have seen a player and formed an opinion on him before any link to LFC or I might check a player out who I hadn't previously seen before because we've been linked with him. What, do you think that every poster here is a professional scout or something?

Chewbazza and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  11. Klopperman

Klopperman New Member

No, I was just invalidating your post as you are prone to do to others!

Have a look at Tielemans Triguerous and Felipe Anderson over the next 2 months and give us your opinion.

Icardi is a predator I'd sign,so you are on the right track there.

12. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

In general I agree with what you are saying but my plan wouldn't quite match yours. For a start, new goal keeper coach or not I wouldn't keep Mignolet.

Keeper; Bring in a new coach. Cannot stress enough how important I think this is. Bring in an older, experienced keeper who has dealt with pressure and can provide reliability. Preferably one who can play as a sweeper keeper. Options for me include Weidenfeller (we should only need him a couple of seasons if plan works) and Ochoa for free and Muslera on a cheaper deal with a year left. This older keeper and the new coach would be there to mentor and develop Karius and Ward who can compete for second spot and hopefully, within a season or two, starting spot. If either of those fail to develop move on and replace with Grabara or other from academy. Say goodbye to Mignolet and Manninger. We may actually make money in this position.

Defence; If (and only if) Sakho can prove he has "grown up" due to his experiences and act professional then bring him in. Otherwise look at someone decent/good but not incredibly expensive like Rudiger or Jimenez as neither should cost much more or possibly less than Sakho would cost. Bring in a cheap or free younger left back to learn from Milner. Along with Clyne and Alexander-Arnold we would be sorted at full back. Lovren, Matip and Gomez rounds out centre back. Flanagan (FB) and Wisdom (CB) emergency cover for one season and one season only under Klopp to see if they can become usable squad options before we replace them with academy graduates. Sell or release Klavan, Moreno, Lucas and maybe Sakho. Possible we may actually make money in this area too.

Central Midfield; Switch from an unchanging 1-2 midfielder to a flexible one that allows us to play 1-2 or 2-1 depending on tactical challenge. Move Coutinho central to compete with Gini and Lallana for the 1/2 creative roles with Grujic and Ejaria/Branagan (other one on loan) as young understudies. Henderson is then alone in the holding midfield roles. Keep Stewart as no academy kids to offer cover yet. Bring in at least one if not two players here. Someone like Keita who can defend and create would be great for when Henderson is out or to partner him sometimes. And an out and out destroyer to use sometimes. Carvalho is the one regularly linked. Selling Can would recoup some, but not a lot, of the costs to improve this area but investment seems needed.

Attack; With Coutinho sometimes playing central (if not always) we have a suddenly depleted attack. Keep Origi as "something different" for at least one more year to see how he develops. Mane and Firmino obviously stay for now as winger and false 9 options respectively. Woodburn, Kent, Wilson, Ojo all provide some cover and maybe one or two needs to go on loan. Ings sent on loan to recover if possible. Markovic judged on his Hull loan but probably sold. Sturridge seems on his way. Correctly. Every penny left spent on bringing in as many good fast attacking talents as possible. Mbappe, Dembele (both if poss), Brandt, Pulisic, the lad at Ajax. We'd need at least 2 bare minimum and probably 3/4 recruits in attack or Coutinho will pretty much play nearly all his games in attack still.

13. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I like a lot of the ideas you've put forward here but Clichy wouldn't improve our lb situation, he's got no pace anymore, he's weak and rubbish going forward. My manager at work is a City season ticket holder and he laughs about how only city have 2 worse left backs than Moreno in Clichy and Kolarov. If we got Clichy he wouldn't be as good as Milner who was excellent until Christmas. I really feel a bit of steel in mid like Keita would make our defence look a lot better

Anfield rd Dreamer and redfanman like this.
  14. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I feel Brandt especially and Keita are players we must get this summer because by next summer they will be unattainable for us, there's already rumours of Real and Bayern being interested in Brandt, so we must act now with a bid they can't turn down

15. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

A completely new spine.

It's what we need. Plus a proper left back and a class left winger.

6 players in, then we will be in business.

Jase likes this.
  16. SirBillShankly

What I don't like about Keita is that he's a squire.We need some big, intimidating physical bastards, ones that scare the opposition.

At the moment, we have Lucas at CB and a front 6 of unaggressive lightweights. We are too nice.Dont know too much about Keita but if we sign him I hope he's an aggressive little scrapper.

17. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

He is, definitely. Although he's not an out and out DM like them Kante and Masch are small but very aggressive

18. SirBillShankly

I meant Keita is a squirt!

Bloody predictive text!! Having said that Kante is small and I would have him in a heartbeat.

19. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

My "good summer" would look like:

Sakho back. That settles the CB pairings with Gomez as a 5th. Klopp reverts back to 4-2-3-1 once he figures out that his most talented player does his best work as a #10 centrally and utilizing him properly. Firmino as a backup #10

Moreno becomes a LW. Markovic figures his shit out and comes back as a RW.

Sell Lucas, Çan, Sturridge, Flanagan (sadly)

Buy
    Danilo da Silva - can play both LB/RB
    Corentin Tolisso DM/CM beast
    Franck Kessie DM beast
    Angel Correa RW/ST
    Lorenzo Insigne LW

Should be able to buy those 5 for under £100mil. Lucas/Can/Sturridge should generate 40-50more.

Then you still need a big-name striker.

20. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

Personally what would constitute a good summer is blindingly obvious to everyone here.

We need:

A new goalkeeping coach. And we need shot of three quarters of the playing staff who just simply aint good enough.

21. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Do you think it's that bad? I think we have far too many "piano carriers" and not enough who can play.. I read quite some time ago about players who are "enablers" players who by their force of will, their drive and ability elevate the team around them - Suarez is one, Gerrard was one etc. I think if you add a couple of leadership types, Carragher/Hyypia/Kuyt etc. You will see a lot of the team elevate their game, there won't be any resting on their laurels, no lack of drive for any game etc.

100% agree on GK coach though.

redfanman likes this.
  22. Zinedine Biscan

I just spent about a minute trying to decode what you meant by squire... I was thinking along lines of you saying big players are like the knights, the guys that get the job done, and smaller players who assist them are the squires...

... really wished I'd scrolled down a bit first lol

23. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Wait Squirt makes it even easier to understand????

24. Zinedine Biscan

Well, Keita is 5'7 so I was able to decode that one a bit easier.

25. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid Valued Member

I do mate. I agree with you to a point, I do believe there are players who could raise their game if we had a Souness or a Gerrard around. Karius, Matip, Milner, Lallana, Lovren, Mane, Origi. They could all step up their game. But there are far too many others who just can't, or won't. Moreno, Klavan, Sturridge, Clyne, Can amongst them. We do need some serious reorganisation.

26. SirBillShankly

One thing I really hope for and it's that we've already lined up a few deals already.

I'm hoping that within days of the Summer window opening we are announcing a complete new spine to our team.Proper experienced pros, preferably guys that have won stuff, who know what it takes, no more youngsters, no potentially good players.

I hope Kloppo is absolutely and completely ruthless.

I want to see Lucas, Can, Stewart, Moreno, Sturridge moved on without mercy. A cull is needed, there's no doubting that now. No faffing around, just get it done. Bollocks to the coaching mantra, let's get some winners in, fast and strong, athletic, dynamic, strong mentalities, guys that absolutely hate losing, to me that's the most important thing, guys that will give their right nut to win.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    ptt and Celtic Dragon like this.
  27. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Yes there is a horrible lack of "character" in this squad, ironically ripped out by the man who spewed the bloody mantra in every sound bite.

Add a couple though, and I'm sure we've got to have a few in the Acadamy as well. We may be alright, but your list of "won't..." I'd be selling all of them anyway ;-)

Kanonkop and Celtic Dragon like this.
  28. Laurent

Laurent New Member

Not only is Keita an ''aggressive little scrapper'' who can perform as a ''6'', he is as well so good at influencing in offense as well. He has 4 goals and 8 assists on the Bundesliga this season, in 22 games, for a player which operated mostly as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2. He is just so well rounded. He is definitely a player I would add to our squad as we are lacking real central midfielders who can operate on so many different levels.
    + I agree with NickF, it's the kind of player who would cost us twice as much in a year or two.

SirBillShankly likes this.
  29. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

Probably 3 attacking players added - and all to fully underpin the core philosophy stuff.

if it's now our better stuff of:

Hendo
    Lallana Wijnaldum
    Mane Firmino Cou
    Then the maybe best trio to add here would be Naby Keita, Davy Klaassen and Lacazette. All 100% drop-in replacements, maybe even some actual better 1st team options down the line.

Probably the best approach to facing the far lesser teams would be to instead deploy the 2-1 midfield here (and thus instead of having 5 dedicated attackers, to then just have the smaller number of only deploying 4 ...like Chelsea always do). That does not ever mean that you are less likely to win, as 4 top quality attackers is far more than most EPL teams can handle anyway. It does (or it should) mean however that with our sending both FB's ultra-high in so-many games ...and that then you have 2 players and not just one - to face the counter-attacks, which is always their big "out" stuff. Just having the one dedicated DM guy in Hendo is maybe not enough to stop counters from the lesser sides properly here.

Not for the bigger games, where we are already very OK in, but far more for the smaller opponents. Then maybe go less - to instead just achieve more (results-wise). For sure, our bench must be better than only to chuck Origi in (he did very well) or else to turn to a very young kid in Woodburn here. CM is very vital here and I'd prefer (as long as we do get CL next season) to over-stock it in talent as opposed to just getting-by.

All-of Hendo, Wijnaldum and Lallana have seriously upped their games this season - and all have been stand-out for us too (mostly) - but adding (say) 2 more seriously HQ players in Klaassen and Keita here, to the mix ...would just be all-good for us. Ceratinly if we do make CL next term, then we do need this type of 5 into 3 stuff (and all quality, as well). Just injuries-stuff, player competition angles and many diverse attack angles or even subs-in to affect a game.

LFC might well be non-stop amongst the Top 10 richest teams in Football (for decades now), but we do not buy dedicated-wise for any single system of play - and only players to intrinsically suit the very same templates. Which we actually should do!

5 into 3 does very much go IMO. Wear and tear of any season, form dips, subs options to really change a game etc etc. All like for like talents too.

redfanman likes this.
  30. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Sorry Pete but rumours are Everton want Klaassen, Koeman has been scouting him personally.