What would constitute a good summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Zinedine Biscan, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Mascot88

Mascot88 Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders Moderator

It would be a sad state of affairs if we couldn't land a player because Everton want him.

redfanman likes this.
  2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

More implied we don't appear to want him. I would fear for Pete if we didn't sign him ;-)

redfanman likes this.
  3. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

He wouldn't be the first and will defo not be the last.

4. kipland007

kipland007 TIA Youth Team Valued Member

What would constitute a good summer?

1. Manchester United become embroiled in a massive match fixing scandal, ranging from the start of Ferguson's reign to this season. They are stripped of all their Premier League titles and relegated to the 4th division. Due to a contractual oversight, Mourinho, Rooney and Zlatan are all unable to leave the club and will be forced to play against opponents like Blackpool and Wycombe for the next season.

2. Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham are all found in violation of financial regulations and deducted 30 points for this current season. Remarkably, Arsenal remain in the top 4. Liverpool are crowned champions and enter the CL.

3. Barcelona suffer massive financial losses and release Suarez on a free. He signs for Liverpool. Mascherano decides to come back as well.

4. Alonso, Gerrard, Mascherano, Carragher and Agger together visit a revolutionary new horse-placenta treatment center and find they have the fitness and durability of a 24 year old. Together, they decide they have unfinished business at Liverpool and are all signed. Klopp asks Alonso if he knows any good fullbacks, so he calls up Lahm who signs for us after undergoing the same treatment.

5. Everton's new owners decide to finally make their great signing of intent, and land Charlie Adam for a measly 75 million pounds, not including performance and weight-loss related add-ons. Adam decides to show his stuff during their first training session and promptly breaks the leg of Romelu Lukaku, ending his season. Koeman resigns and David Moyes is appointed back in charge.

6. Wenger resigns from Arsenal to take the Barcelona job. After a long search, the Arsenal board decide that Sam Allardyce is the right man for the job. He promptly sells Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil, then uses the combined profits to break Arsenal's transfer record on signing Michel Antonio. ArsenalFanTV surpasses a million subscriptions in anticipation of the coming season.

I think this would make the summer reasonably acceptable. But maybe I have high standards.

5. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

redfanman likes this.
  6. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Last summer 3-4 first XI players were added (Karius, Matip, Wijnaldum, Mané) along with a couple of squad players (Manninger and Klavan) and I think most would agree that it was a successful window, albeit with an underestimation of the number of games Sturridge/Ings/Gomez would play.

Another summer featuring 4 additions to the First XI would likewise be a success, and a good window would look something like this:

- CB to partner Matip
    - CM/AM who provides similar dynamism and drive as Lallana (and can ideally play at RW too)
    - An actual LB
    - LW to cover for Coutinho/Mané
    - If Lucas leaves it would make sense to sign a DM* as well for depth (either a young promising DM or someone in the mould of Klavan at CB)

----------- Karius
    Clyne--Matip -- CB --- LB
    -------- Henderson
    ----- CM ----- Lallana
    Mané ------------- Coutinho
    --------- Firmino

Bench: Mignolet, Lovren, Milner, Can, Wijnaldum, LW, Origi
    Reserve: Klavan, Gomez, Trent, Lucas/DM*, Stewart, Ejaria, Ojo, Wilson, Woodburn, Ings

On a lesser note, moving fringe players at decent prices would also be a success (i.e. Sakho, Wisdom, Randall, Moreno, Stewart, Brannagan, Dunn, Markovic, Sturridge), presuming that the fees received were spent on incoming players.

7. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Active Member

3 upgrades on starting positions in the XI and 3 strong backup rotation options would put us in great position.
    Don't forget that every other top 8 team in the PL will also be looking to add so it's constantly an uphill battle to improve.

Key top 11 needs:
    #1 dominant CB. VVD?
    #2 scoring CF/Striker. Griezmann?
    #3 playmaking CM. Naby Keita?

Rotation needs:
    #1 LB to backup and succeed Milner. Sessegnon?
    #2 speedy winger for when Mane is unavailable. Julian Brandt?
    #3 Future GK to overtake Mignolet. Gianlugi Donnarumma?

Most likely we won't be able to fill all those needs in 1 window. But if we filled even two thirds of them, we'd have a much stronger side overall. A side to compete in Europe as well as the Premier League. It's going to get a lot tougher going forward. Please Stock up on quality players, Jurgen!!

8. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Agree with everything apart for some of the bits in bold.

Every other team will look to add, but just because they sign tons of players doesn't mean that they'll win more next season. United spent large on Martial, DiMaria, and Depay and that didn't really pan out because they didn't use them properly or they just flopped.

We're not going to sign Griezmann. It would require a massive investment in both fee and wages, but he's already 26 which is a little too old for FSG to do as his value would drop in two seasons. They're far more likely to try to sign a top up and coming player aged 5 years younger at around 21. Someone like Timo Werner for example.

We already have the future GK to overtake Mignolet in Karius.

As for the last bit in bold, there is absolutely no reason why the club shouldn't be able to sort out all the needs you mentioned in this window. Last summer the club brought in a GK, CB, CM, and RW for the long-term, plus Klavan, and a CB, LB, CM, AM, and RW should certainly be doable in this window, especially considering that there is reportedly a lot of money available.

9. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

That or FSG instead of investing in buying players for Klopp, they invested in these machines...
    [​IMG]
    Since our CEO is from EA Sports, he should be very familiar with that game they developed - that football manager game. Key in all the attributes of the said players you mentioned above, include Suarez, Hyypia, Hamann, Babbel (the German defender), Clemence in the mix. Then alter their attributes that is not favourable, i.e. "like biting people - 0/100". We should have an al conquering team in a fraction of a price? There's also profit to be made, mind you..... lollol

redfanman likes this.
  10. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

True. But the weather's better on their side of Stanley Park, there is that

redbj and redfanman like this.
  11. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

If we could attack and score goals the way we did at the beginning of the season and defend like Juventus, surely, it would be a win win situation.

12. AussieLFC79

AussieLFC79 TIA Regular

Not sure if anyone else has said it, but for me, a good summer would consist of someone inventing a time michine to go back in their prime Souness, Rush, Grobbelaar, Kenny, McMahon, Alonso, Stevie, Carra, Garcia, Hyypia, Masch and Fowler.

That would give us a pretty decent nuclious of a squad to build around. lol

13. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

If the latest research on rejuvenation through injections of particular plasma proteins in children's blood when given to old lab rats, could be accelerated...........

14. Alright Now

Alright Now Well-Known Member

Dr Jimmy and Mr Jim,
    When I'm pilled you don't notice him,
    He only comes out when I drink my gin:-)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    AussieLFC79 and Scott Jones like this.
  15. westcoastbias79

westcoastbias79 Active Member

bold.

16. westcoastbias79

LB: David Alaba
    DM: Tiemoue Bakayoko
    AM/RW: Julian Brandt

17. Artrain

Artrain Well-Known Member

I raise my cup o' tea to you.

Zoran, Scott Jones and Mascot88 like this.
  18. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Alaba is so good he'd play in midfield for us and run the show.

19. Quagmire81

Quagmire81 TIA Regular

I yearn for the days when we can buy players from Bayern's starting eleven.

Cologne-Liverpool likes this.
  20. westcoastbias79

He's basically a reserve for them, just kinda there. Million-time Austria POY, and he still only gets like 10 touches/game for Bayern. All those old dudes are gonna play until they can't walk, and Alaba's gonna still be over there in the corner doing a lot of nothing. Only a matter of time before he realizes he has to leave. We gotta get him before Pep does.

redfanman likes this.
  21. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

He's their first choice LB and has been for years.

Artrain, redfanman and Kopstar like this.
  22. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

The Who, right?

Not so much now that he's older and bearded, but used to think in his younger days Messi bore a bit of a resemblance to Keith Moon... anyone else see it?

Alright Now likes this.
  23. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Alaba's one of the best modern footballers in the game. To describe him as 'basically a reserve' for Bayern is nonsense. He would be first choice in about 4 different positions for us.

redfanman likes this.
  24. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Doesn't he still play somewhere upfront for Austria? An amazing talent.

25. Limiescouse

For Bayern he is a LB who can play CB, but they way Pep uses his fullbacks made him look like a CM. Because of the talent pool in Austria they have typically felt it a waste to use their best footballer as a LB and so have used him in CM often, sometimes even further forward, although the latter rarely to good effect.

redfanman likes this.
  26. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Whenever I see this thread I can't stop myself thinking of Mungo Jerry.

Poor Scouser Tommy, Livvy and inaiq like this.
  27. Limiescouse

I used to play football with his (Ray Dorset) kids

redfanman likes this.
  28. westcoastbias79

Struck me that 1) 40m for Mbappe and 2) Mbappe ending up in a LFC jersey ...were both reasonable ideas on March 1st when Iluvatar posted this. Incredible.

29. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

I just want to go on holiday and read lots of posts bitching about how we stumbled over the line but got there in the end...

30. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

A couple of months of sunshine?

RedSeven likes this.