Who Will Be Relegated - 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by El Dorado, Dec 3, 2016.

?

Who will be relegated?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2017.
  1. Sunderland

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Hull City

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  3. Swansea City

24 vote(s)
    85.7%
  4. West Ham

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  5. Middlesbrough

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Leicester City

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  7. Crystal Palace

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. AFC Bournemouth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Southampton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Watford

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  11. Stoke City

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Everton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. West Bromwich Albion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Manchester United

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  15. Burnley

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Who will it be this year? You are allowed to change your votes between now and the closing date. There's already some interesting dramas to follow, including David Moyes at Sunderland and Bob Bradley at Swansea City, not to mention Leicester City in free fall and West Ham discombobulated.

Scott Jones likes this.
  2. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

The givens in my eyes are Hull and Swansea. Reasons being Hull lack quality and depth, the depth can get sorted in January but doubt they'll get much quality in.
    Swansea have a terrible manager and board by the sound of thinks.
    Gone with West Ham they seem totally void of anything when Payet isn't either making goals or scoring them and I'd just like to see them relegated with that massive new stadium.
    Sunderland seem the be the masters of relegation avoidance and I expect it to continue and I see it being between them come the end of the season

El Dorado likes this.
  3. Chewbazza

Chewbazza True Believer

I've gone for Swansea, Hull and Sunderland.

However if i could pick three i'd go for Palace, West Brom and Stoke (not gone for Man united because in this ideal situation they remain in the league for us to beat them at least twice a year)

El Dorado and Scott Jones like this.
  4. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Sunderland and Swansea for me and Crystal palace out of spite for pardew,I suspect even his mother thinks he's a cnut.pulis is too irritating to fcuk off to the championship so will linger on.

El Dorado likes this.
  5. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Hull is done for. Owner cut his own throat, and best case will make the funds available to shore up a weak side in January that should have been spent in the summer - only to find the January market is more expensive and no one is interested in coming to Hull to get relegated unless they get a massive premium and guaranteed PL money.

Swansea is screwed. Bradley isn't as terrible as he seems to be painted as, but he was set up to fail. American manager taking a leap, American ownership, match made in hell. Put that on top of a side that sold their spine in the preceding 12 months, I don't see a way out. Not as hopeless as Hull, all that will end up meaning is false hopes will take longer to die.

Sunderland won't go down. Moyes is a very good manager, at making teams hard to beat and well-structured. That could not take Everton anywhere close to out of mediocrity, and was downright hilarious at ManU, but exactly what you need to survive a relegation scrap. Moyes isn't quick at it like Allardyce, but he also doesn't fade out the way Fat Sam does. Sunderland is 8th on form over the last 6 matches now - two more points than ManU. Next at Swansea they will get another 3 ugly points with a counter goal for some horrible 1-0 score, but they aren't going down. They will also bring more in January than either Hull or Swansea, as Ellis Short reinforces success. I am hoping Moyes can ruin the Chelsea match in a week and a half, pick up a point there, however that is not critical to Moyes' style. They will be out of the bottom quartile by January 1, just in time to field a useless side in the FA Cup.

I think it is going to come down to West Ham and Palace, each club trying to figure out whether firing their manager is the right move or not. I don't really know the answer for either one. Middlesborough might get unlucky, but I think I am going to go with the Hammers, firing Bilic sometime in January and never really coming together.

El Dorado likes this.
  6. Gegen Pretzel

Gegen Pretzel Novato Papa

I went for Sunderland, Swansea and Boro. Sunderland because of Moyes and whatever recycled British manager replaces him, Swansea for all of the reasons well outlined by Arminius, and Boro more because they seem like a side with no solid identity on the pitch, ready to go into freefall. Hull and Palace would be my alternates. I really dislike West Ham but I can see Bilic's eventual replacement reenergizing what was a very good side last year.

El Dorado and Scott Jones like this.
  7. El Dorado

Somehow, I missed Burnley. Could an enterprising mod add them to the ballot, please? Surely, they would garner a vote or two.

8. Strictly Armchair

Strictly Armchair Perspective and equilibrium

The first of my three choices is Hull, just not enough quality or even enough bodies. I had them down to finish bottom before the season started due to the chaos created by their owner. Anywhere between 5 and 8,000 empty seats per home game shows what their fans think of it. One win and two draws from the last 11 league games indicates where they're at and where they'll probably remain.

Burnley are my choice to finish above Hull. Their away record of one goal and one point from six away matches shows where their struggles lie. Don't forget that their fixtures are out of kilter due to their match against us being switched so they only have 11 home games left as opposed to 13 aways. They're also only picking up about 50% of the points on offer at home. I won't miss Simply Sean and his gravelly bleating about the poor, hard done by English managers.

Swansea are my other choice. I picked them (just ahead of Sunderland) at the start of the season as I thought they hadn't strengthened enough. Replacing Guidolin with Bradley is indicative of owners who don't know what they're doing. They are also conceding more than two goals a game on average. Not good enough at either end of the pitch.

Wouldn't mind any of Sunderland, Palace or West Ham going down but I think they'll just about get enough points.

El Dorado likes this.
  9. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

Went with West Ham, Swansea and Hull in the end.
    West Ham just seem clueless at the moment and injuries have hit them hard.
    Swansea have a fairly poor manager and a squad that is low on morale and pretty short on quality as well.
    Hull also lack quality and depth and not much chance of reinforcement in January either.

10. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

I actually put my money on Leicester to go down with West Ham and Swansea. That was my recent bet, but at the beginning of the season my bet was Leicester, United and Southampton. Yeah I know, not going to happen, but love to see the faces of United's fans if that ever happens. lol

Scott Jones and Wyld@Heart like this.
  11. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Exactly my pick as well!

Scott Jones and lfc.eddie like this.
  12. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Going with the current bottom 3, Swansea and Hull done for, Sunderland the team with the best chance of saving themselves, but eventually I expect the greater quality at West Ham and Leicester (players and managers) to prove telling. If Defoe gets injured or goes through a barren spell, that's basically it for Sunderland.

13. spizfromoz

spizfromoz Well-Known Member

Hull
    Middlesborough
    West Ham

West Ham look weak. Hull, just not good enough, Middlesborough, only have 2 wins. Toss up with Burnley (poor goal diff) if not Middlesborough (better goal diff, fewer losses). Suspect Swansea will muddle through it and Moyes isn't too bad a manager. He may even get a couple more players in January to help out - a striker on loan will blitz.

Newcastle, Leeds, Brighton to come up. Yes, Brighton will finally make it.

14. Rooster

Rooster What a hit son

Discombobulated? What a word.

Anyone currently 12th or lower could go. But Hull and Burnley are certs. Sunderland and Hammers should be OK and that makes it Swansea to round off the trio for me.

15. bridgeman

bridgeman Banned Users

Swansea
    Hull
    West Ham

Hull are by far the poorest team in the premises
    Swansea owners shot themselves in the foot by hiring a poor manager
    West Ham are probably the only one that has a chance to survive but at the moment they are terrible

16. inaiq

inaiq "Some people feel the rain others just get wet"

Out of the 3 you mention, I would like Swansea to stay up, Hammers will turn it around :-(
    Sunderland, Hull, Middlesborough

@spizfromoz
    Of the ones coming up I would like Fulham to make through the play off's, I doubt they will make the automatic places.

17. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon TIA's Tusken Druid

Swansea and Hull for me, with the 3rd possibly being West Ham. They seem to be in a lot of trouble right now, the adaption to the new stadium just isn't working. I think Moyes will get things gelling at Sunderland and they'll stay up, as will 'Boro, Palace and Leicester (albeit by the seat of their pants).

bridgeman likes this.
  18. bridgeman

bridgeman Banned Users

Yeah I have a soft spot for Swansea but when you have moronic owners who sack a decent coach and hire a manager just because he is from the same country as they are is just a disaster waiting to happen

inaiq likes this.
  19. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Swansea, Hull and Palace, shame for Swansea always liked them but Jenkins and the Owners have a lot to answer for.

Palace will be back to their usual self soon and Hull are struggling.

20. El Dorado

Swansea City is an interesting case. They actually have gained one more point under Bradley in 7 matches than they did under Guidolin. However, they've been conceding at an astonishing rate. 19 goals under Bradley versus 12 under Guidolin. But also scored more, 10 versus 6. It seems that Bradley opened them up a bit more; whereupon they have scored and conceded more for that one extra point. Won't be good enough for a club who have sold so many of their best players. Will need a key purchase or two in a month's time to have any chance. Of course, hiring a manager without any top league experience (and preferably English League) is quite a gamble. A Tony or a Sam would stand them in better stead.

21. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

My overall take on Bradley is that he is probably quite good at motivating players and getting the most out of them but pretty clueless tactically, especially in a league that he must know very little about.
    They could still escape but they need results fast.

22. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Swansea and Hull.

Davey Moyes to pull off a stunning late surge to push Sunderland just above Everton on the last day of the season.

23. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I dont think it will require a late surge for Sunderland to get clear. They looks a much better side already than the early weeks and I think they'll start to get some daylight behind them by Feb.

Hull and Swansea seem pretty cut and dry. The third is most likely to come from Burnley, Boro and maybe Palace if things unravel for Pards.

24. El Dorado

Boro's defense is outstanding. Just 15 goals conceded, same as Man City. Can't see them going down with that kind of defense. It's been a hallmark of the team since Karanka arrived. They were really miserly in the Championship the last two seasons.

25. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Yeah, this is why I'm not tipping Boro to go down. They'll get the odd narrow win and that should be enough to see them squeak to safety. Sunderland, current good run notwithstanding, are just that bit likelier to concede (and if Defoe gets injured the goals will dry up instantly). West Ham equally at risk I'd say given how poor they've been defensively this season.

26. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Boro look organized enough to have a good chance, plus they can mix their game a bit. Still not sure on Burnley, they will be close. They can make it difficult in some games, but will they have enough? Still so poor away from home and every year you'll need more to survive in this league. Hull are in a bad place, the whole atmosphere around the club isn't great and that makes it even more difficult. Some of Leicester's players need to have a good look at themselves, it's a disgrace going from champions to not performing and being down there. What's the point after winning the league in such fashion? At least give your all, even more than last season. Palace will be alright, but Pardew seems to always want to prove he can teach good football just to show everyone. They need to go one step at a time and realize they're not that good, not yet. They've been hot and cold this season, while on the other hand Pulis seems like he's finally settled another side to play exactly like he wants a couple of years after Stoke. I was more happy with our victory against them than against Palace.

27. El Dorado

Sure, Hull's going out, but credit to them. Stadium half empty, and they play a match like they did today. They've shown a lot of grit and fight this year.

28. lfc.eddie

How sure are you? They share the same points as Swansea and West Ham, and a point behind Leicester. There are more than 20 games to play, and how is it that they are "sure going out"? They are still in it, so is Sunderland, hence why it's call a relegation dog fight. Their fans need to have a look at themselves.

29. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Because they are objectively less talented than the other teams around them, only have about 15 players and the least experienced manager in the league. Sure, nothing is guaranteed, but I;d say they are odds on, even at this early stage.

30. lfc.eddie

I accept that they are one of the candidates, most likely candidate, but I don't think one can be sure they are at this point of the season. They are lacking the talents, but as we have learned through last season, it also takes some form of fighting spirit in the players to get themselves out of this slump. Leicester has made me subscribe to the idea that even with lesser talent in the team against all odds, if the fight is there, anything can be achieved.