Who Will Be Relegated - 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Pitchside - Football Forum' started by El Dorado, Dec 3, 2016.

?

Who will be relegated?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2017.
  1. Sunderland

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Hull City

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  3. Swansea City

24 vote(s)
    85.7%
  4. West Ham

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  5. Middlesbrough

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Leicester City

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  7. Crystal Palace

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. AFC Bournemouth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Southampton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Watford

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  11. Stoke City

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Everton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. West Bromwich Albion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Manchester United

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  15. Burnley

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Whatever happens to them, compare them to last season's team F'd over by their ownership. Aston Villa, stocked with "promising" young European players, never really looked like they cared. Give me a Snodgrass or a Livermore any day. Happy to be playing in the Premier League and fighting to the end is my guess.

Limiescouse likes this.
  2. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Clement is looking like a really sound pick by Swansea, even before today's fiasco. Two wins in 3 is a good start, particularly with Fat Sam doing no better than Pardew. The points per game they need to manage to get to safety has gone from extremely unlikely to plausible.

3. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

2 in the last 3, he wasn't in charge or had anything to do with the Palace result and they lost in the cup.

Wait to see what it's like 5 results down the line, they wouldn't have won if they hadn't been given the result yesterday.

4. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Sunderland is as good as gone I think, and I also can't see Hull getting out of this mess as well. That leaves the last spot. We'll just have to see if Fat Sam still has his Houdini capability. I do hope they get relegated though, can't stand Pardew and now Fat Sam.

mattyhurst likes this.
  5. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

Swansea won't go down.No chance, they have too many good players Nandos now have a proper manager, can see them ending up mid table.

Palace, Hull and Sunderland don't look so clever, can see this trio struggling to stay up.

6. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Swansea had no good players a few weeks back and were as good as gone and the owners were to blame.

Look at the Bradley analysis. God knows really.

7. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

West Ham not going down...probably safe to say.

On form it's looking like Leicester will be there or thereabouts.

8. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Allerdyce is too much ballast for the Crystal palace ship,sinking fast.

9. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

Between Leicester Palace Hull and Sunderland.

Surprised not more had Palace to go down when poll was made.

Scott Jones likes this.
  10. Scott Jones

I voted for them from the beginning out of hatred for pardew but they sacked him,but fortunately for me they employed someone who was equally vile,personally couldn't give a fuck about palace.

11. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Big Sam seems to be struggling this time.

Hull are nothing special, just another 3 points gifted in my view, changed my mind about Swansea, seems to have given them a boost.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bournemouth were dragged in they are getting worse than us when it comes to defence.

And then there is Leicester, the break from European Football hasn't helped at all it seems, problem is they won't sack Ranieri so it's if he chooses to step down.

12. OLDIE

OLDIE TIA New Signing

It would be fantastic to see Palace, Sunderland go. OBVIOUS reasons

I suspect Palace may save themselves.

Swansea and Hull are showing some fight. The next Arsenal manager is struggling to find another point or two.

Boro, I like what Steve Gibson has done for his home town club. It would be good for them to stay up.

I think bottom upwards will be

SUNDERLAND
    HULL CITY
    BOURNMOUTH

next week I will no doubt predict someone else to go down

13. El Dorado

El Dorado Well-Known Member

Boro looked fairly safe a few weeks ago, but with Swansea, Sunderland and Hull City stepping up their game, the Teeside boys need to find the back of the net a bit more or it could be ugly for them. 19 goals in 24 matches isn't enough, even if only three teams have allowed fewer goals.

14. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

If we redid the vote today, I'd change two of mine from Swansea and Hull to Palace and Leicester. While the latter would seem to have the stronger squads to lift themselves out of this mess, you'd have to say currently both Boro and Hull look considerably more likely to get points than the Foxes.

Hopefully our ongoing charity to hand out free points to all the relegation candidates comes to a halt when we play them.

15. lfc.eddie

Palace won't go down even though I would like to see that happen. That Fat bastard will definitely do his great escape again. Leicester though, I am not too sure. After seeing how they play this season, Vardy seems to think he is the beast now that he is the star striker of a reigning champs. He thinks he is Alan Shearer, ego inflated. Mahrez also looked disinterested in this season. Albrighton shows why Villa let him go in the first place and Drinkwater is extremely overrated. These two relied heavily on Kante to win possessions back and steady the back line for them.

I think Ranieri will be relegated and that's it for him. Will also bring a lot of light to owners across England that fairy tale eventually ends and don't live in that fantasy. Traditional big teams are always thereabout for a reason, and it's how the club invest in what's important, not BMW i8 for all his title winning players.

16. Zinedine Biscan

Getting boned 4-0 at home to a Sunderland that is pretty much already certain to go down cemented it for me that this will be the season that Fat Sam's charmed life comes to an end. And it will be very funny. Seriously, though, they're awful.

It would be interesting to see what the correlation is between teams that Pardew has managed and subsequent relegations - my theory (currently unproven) is that he's so poor that he demoralises teams to such an extent that they go down even if he's been sacked already. Thinking of Saints, West Ham, Newcastle... when did they all go down in relation to Pardew managing them?

Scott Jones likes this.
  17. lfc.eddie

I don't know about Soton, but the other two were on their way down, there and about. Got booted 2/3rd of the season through, and the manager who took over could not find a way to rescue the club, not enough time.

18. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

To be fair, not long ago it looked at best to be a four team race, with at least one spot locked by Sunderland. All three of the bottom teams put on surges of sorts, with Swansea in particular looking like a different side. Meanwhile, Leicester and Palace have been unexpectedly crap - the conventional wisdom was that Leicester would make good use of January-February and no CL matches, while a poor Palace team would reach Allardycean mediocrity and start accumulating enough points to be a safe 15th or the like. Instead, both started earning points at about half the previous rate. Boro has been poor enough over the same time frame that in most seasons, panic would be setting in, but with Palace and Leicester in the mix, they can probably keep plodding along.

19. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

3 from Palace, Leicester, Boro and Sunderland for me.

20. StrongINTheAir

StrongINTheAir The voice of reason

Sunderland for sure.
    I hope Palace because they've given us some problems the last few years.
    And I don't know if Boro can score enough to stay up, but their defense should keep them in it.
    I think Hull's run will be short lived and they will drop as well.

21. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I think something around 34pts will keep teams up, I think anyone on 30+ is safe now, so kudos to Burnley in that respect.

22. Dave-D

Dave-D Well-Known Member

Sunderland, palace and Bournemouth for me now.

Sunderland come off a great result against palace and get pumped by Southampton, think this is the season they finally get relegated.

Fat Sam seems to have lost his touch since he got the boot from the England job, let in goals which he normally stops happening straightaway.

Bournemouth are my left field choice for going down, they've still to play Liverpool, Chelski, spuds, manure and Citeh from the top six and their last 5 games have four of the bottom six in it.

23. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I think the conventional wisdom around Leicester is wrong. The surprise of the title win has made many forget how well they finished the previous season under Pearson. There was an extended period, I think around the last 12 games, during which their points total was top 4 level. However, what is even more underappreciated is that prior to that good run, even when they were not getting results, they were often playing well and giving the opposition a really tough day. Do people remember the NYD game? The story was we blew a 2 goal lead at home to the bottom club. The real story though was that they were the better team on the day, far far better than a team propping up the entire division. More often than not they would just contrive a way to lose a game they shouldnt through abysmal defending, personified by Wes Morgan, who that season looked as bad a defender as I had seen be a mainstay of a prem side. When they finally started picking up results, it was a more a case of finally getting the results they deserved rather than making a dramatic improvement.

The reason I think that is relevant is that this season they have not even looked as good as they did that first half season under Pearson. Vardy's stats are actually better than last year's in terms of conversion rate, but he just isnt getting any looks. Couple that with looking relatively easy to score against, with a "return to form" of Morgan, and it's difficult to see where they get any points. This isnt just a fall off compared to last season's title win. It is a fall off even compared to Pearson's side.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  24. pottymonster

pottymonster I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

I had picked Sunderland, Swansea, and Leicester. Today I might swap out Swansea for Palace, but I still firmly believe Leicester are getting the drop. They just don't look good.

Scott Jones likes this.
  25. Bino the Original

Bino the Original Member

Boro won't go down with the defence they have.

26. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I tend to agree, they weren't all that bad, I saw them a couple of times and they deserved points but didn't get any, they are looking terrible at this moment in time mind, my Leicester fan says they just drop when they concede, it's potentially a confidence and age issue.

27. Zinedine Biscan

You have a Leicester fan?

lfc.eddie likes this.
  28. Scott Jones

Wonder what Liniker will do on MOTD when Leicester are relegated,perhaps a bag of wheat crunchies.

29. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

I meant my mate who is a Leicester fan.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  30. lfc.eddie

Rich bastards with their expensive collectibles..... lol

mattyhurst and Zinedine Biscan like this.