Who would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Zinedine Biscan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

Cole and Anelka werent just potentials when they left Arsenal, anymore than Dele Alli is just "potential" right now.

Ox is in the unproven category. Can has made the German team, hes still unproven. When I see for example Wilshere spend a long time at Arsenal, under Wenger, given a lot of chances, and not quite make the grade, then alarm bells start ringing. Maybe youre not as good as people think you could be.

Why cant you develop to the next step at Arsenal, with chances, under Wenger.

There might be reasons with Ox and Wilshere, e.g injuries etc.. but at the same time they have a decent run under Wenger. Theyre werent cut after 10 games.

2. Flobs

Flobs FADA

He does have the qualities we are after. Good defensively and good technical skills (very good for a defender). Not one to scratch off the list. Dare I say it a bit like Lovren but with better game reading and or anticipation.
    Nice to see that you've seen through the Fonte myth (decent defender but lacking the technical skills imo). Southampton are rigorous in their discipline and that is what threw Lovren off when he joined us imo (we just didn't have the rigor (still haven't).

3. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

The other way to view this is, when was the last time Wenger picked up a highly rated youngster and got him to deliver on his potential? Has he done it since Cesc? Ramsey shone for a short while but since 13-14 when he was scoring like a looney he hasnt been nearly the same player. Is it maybe that it's not a case of the players not being as good as they were thought to be, but that this pattern is another example of Wenger's diminished powers? He has picked up a few defenders in recent years whose progress has be so bad they have sprinted backwards, and now play like a golfer with the yips (Jenkinson and Chambers).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Anfield rd Dreamer and Flobs like this.
  4. MarlboroMan

MarlboroMan Vertrauen Sie mir

We can't disregard the asking fee that Arsenal have placed on his head though and for 35m pounds we can do a lot better.
    2 big reasons why I feel this way.
    1) He's spent far too much time injured. This really should be enough.
    2) He'd come in for as much as we spent on Mane and he's not half the player, exaggerating a bit of course.
    He's also just got a year left on his deal with Arsenal and hasn't developed quite like he probably should no doubt injuries played a part there and with our high intensity he looks a bad fit there.

If we can get Arsenal to drop their asking price to around the 20m mark then I'd consider it otherwise we need to walk away fast.

Etipafilaf likes this.
  5. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Wenger did do well with some of them but he didn't with others, my point was not every young player who leaves Arsenal is not good enough or doesn't go on to achieve more, Gnabry already has in a short amount of time, wenger is excellent a nurturing young players but sometimes he gets it wrong as all managers do and the poster had said that no players go on to fulfill potential elsewhere. For the record I think at 23 The Ox should be more than potential as Cole was when he left

6. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

I guess Bellerin is the latest one. Van Persie, Nasri, Fabregas were probably the last ones to graduate, but then there has been a recent change in transfer policy when they started buying names rather than developing them himself, Ozil, Cech, Sanchez and Xhaka.

7. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

But thats the thing he hasnt got it much wrong. If Gnabry, Vela and Song are the best ones hes missed out on I doubt Arsenal fans will shed a tear at missing out on these players.

8. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

What About Lord Bendtner

9. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Problem is if they do become any good they sell them anyway

10. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Julian Brandt is an option, he seems to be a hot prospect in Germany right now. Bayern want him to replace their ageing wingers but maybe Klopp could be a factor.

Plus Hyypia gave him his chance in the Leverkusen team maybe he can have a little word too.

11. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Is this the same Brandt that Liverpool wanted to sign in January and are continuing to chase for a deal this summer?

12. liver1

liver1 Well-Known Member

Is it feasible is what im saying. Do we have any chance of getting him. If the choice is Bayern or us its a tough ask. Then youve got the possibility of another team with big money going in for him as well.

With Ox I dont see as much competition for him. We might be the top team looking to get him.

redfanman likes this.
  13. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Arsenal and Liverpool have very similar problems based on the defensive systems of the two team which slight differences. Arsenal full backs are basically wingers and Palace showed you how to counter attack that. we have similar problem when were counter attacked against teams who seem play similar to Palace. Arsenal have survived because they have better CBs than us.

Both Arsenal and LFC systems have major floors that even Maldini and Nesta would struggle to cover

14. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

By survived means getting thumped 3-0 by Palace, we did more than survived. We thrived.

Livvy, Scott Jones and redfanman like this.
  15. sterlcoutidge

sterlcoutidge Member

Would we be happy if our summer business was kolasinac, John Brooks, Dahoud and Joshua King? We'd sell Moreno, sakho and sturridge. Lucas would also leave.

Our net spend probably wouldn't be too much and our squad wouldn't get any bigger but that's 4 potential first team players to replace squad players. Don't see us making any marquee signings to be honest.i would love to sign a goalie as well but don't see it happening.

We also have a problem with who our penalty taker will be if milner begins to be phased out. No-one else in the first team fills me with confidence.

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Resident Realist

In a word.....no

17. boston red

boston red Show me the Mane.

You like saying arsenal

18. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Josh King isn't good enough, going through a purple patch at the moment but he was struggling to get in Blackburns side in the championship not long ago, Neville also hinted at a poor attitude in training. Dahoud has already agreed to join Dortmund

19. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I still like Hakim Ziyech every time I see him play, wouldn't mind him as a squad option

20. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

From some of the names linked (trying to keep it realistic)...

Sessegnon/Hernandez
    Van Dijk
    Tielemans
    Chamberlain
    Brandt
    Retain Sakho.

Think that would give us a pretty solid squad to go into next year with, strength in depth and options all over the park. Young pair of back up full backs, Ings (or even Mane) as 3rd choice centre forward and the goalkeeping situation all not ideal, but far from being glaring issues either.

21. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

I'm extremely surprised that we haven't really been linked that heavily with any striker. Some tenuous links to Werner but that's about it isn't it? Am I forgetting some obvious ones?

22. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

No, couldn't remember any other than Werner either and that doesn't look likely.

That being said, Pearce reckons we're in for one. Not that he's as well informed anymore since Rodgers moved north.

23. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

I'd rather keep the 4 players you listed you sell than bring that lot in to be honest.

24. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo Expert YouTube scout

Tielemans? I missed that one, who's that?

25. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

19 year old attacking mid who plays for Anderlecht. He's a real talent, but a long way from the finished article.

jgw_geneseo likes this.
  26. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo Expert YouTube scout

I like the list then. Would love Kieta in his place but probably not that realistic.

I also think there is more to come from Karius and don't want to bin him just yet. Young, new country, and all the pressure moving to place like LFC. If he doesn't produce next year after having a year to get comfortable here I'll be ready to splash cash on another one.

I haven't seen or heard Klopp talk about a striker, but I think he likes his options. Seems one short to me, but maybe if Sturridge goes he'll change his mind.

27. Makati Red

It seems Klopp has taken my picasso scouting advice and decided to make VVD his number one CB target!

28. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

I've heard Retain Sakho is crap, as well.

Limiescouse likes this.
  29. Makati Red

There is more chance of us signing Mbappe than Sakho staying at the club

30. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

You're not mistaken, mate. Browsing through lists of European league's top scorers and most useful forwards, the only three names that I thought would be attainable (but expensive), fit into Klopp's plans and improve our squad are Dolberg, Belotti and, yeah, Icardi. Latter two would probably not come for less than 60 million pounds, Torino president is already speaking about only letting Belotti go for full clause, which is "the Pogba fee". Sounds to me like he wants to cash in on him while his stock is the highest.

Am I missing someone obvious?