Who would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Zinedine Biscan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

My concern with Adama is that he has so few goals and assists to his name across his career from when he played in Barca B

2. redfanman

I havent seem him play either. Just thought it was an interesting link, with a possibility of it happening. Can see the interest in Costa, but i dont see it happening because i dont see Coutinho switching to midfield.

3. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

If he's more than speed and dribbling how come he's got one professional career goal and one assist, he's the epitome of a headless chicken. As for maturity he's the same age as Ibe yet scored and assisted far less than Ibe even though Ibe himself is a headless chicken. They are both athletes with very little football intelligence and no way near good enough for us

redfanman likes this.
  4. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

We don't know how good he would be in an attacking team. Now he must do a lot of the job himself. He must himself pick up the ball deep and because of that he is up against a packed defense. He is one of the quickest players the first yards in the PL. The problem is that he has almost no one passing the ball to when get past his man.

I don't want us to sign him but some players like Adama need to play in the right system.

Drubas likes this.
  5. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

It's irrelevant who he's got to pass to as his shots and crosses usually end up in row z! He was crap at villa and crap at Boro, he can just run with a bal that's it. If we signed him I'd be absolutely gutted and lose all faith in our scouting system

6. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

I first saw him in last summer's Copa. It was a surprise call up, and while it didnt go well for Brazil, he looked good. Almost too good to be playing as a forward in a Dunga side. He then played really well in the Olympics. I am surprised it's gone as poorly for him at Inter as it has. I know Icardi has been in the form of his life, but Gabigol looks complete enough a player that it shouldnt be hard to get them both on the pitch at the same time.

redfanman likes this.
  7. Limiescouse

I'm going to respond to this post from the CL thread in here so as to not derail that thread...

I think it's a bit more complicated than Eddie makes out ("If they;'re god enough they will get games"), but you dont avoid going for someone as good as Pulisic because you've got a couple of kids on the fringes who play the same role. Especially when the difference in talent is as great as this appears to be. I'm currently watching the Bournmouth game and I think it's a fairly apt example of not counting on kids who appear to be on the fringes. Before they were sold, many people assumed Ibe and Brad Smith would play a decent role for us this year yet they've not even been able to contribute meaningfully at a side on the fringes of a relegation battle. The same with Flanno at Burnley...someone some people are still expecting to come back and contribute here next year. I think all the kids we have in attacking and midfield positions are still quite way from being at the point where their presence should influence our decision making in the summer (think Fergie letting go of Ince, Sparky and Kanchelskis in the summer of 95 because of the class of 94).

MarcusBerglund and redfanman like this.
  8. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

That leads to the question - when would you say - "we have seen enough from these kids Ojo and Wilson. Let's sell and upgrade." While I agree with the gist of what you are saying - personally i think we are not there yet. Atleast a season more for Ojo. A couple more for Wilson.
    But I agree that my pov is from an outside angle. Maybe Klopp and staff already have a good idea on whether Ojo and Wilson make it here.

NickF likes this.
  9. Limiescouse

But as I also say this as a particular fan of Pulisic. I think that he is not just good (really really good), but that he plays int he right way and suit us down to the ground. I watched him the other week for the US against Honduras and he was sensational. I get it was "only Honduras", but for them qualifying from this section can be a bit like us playing against a lower division side in the cup, and yet he cut to them pieces time and time again. He simply doesnt play like an American and so it's really quite something to see how much of a difference he makes for them.

@The Elusive 19th - I dont think it leads to that question. There is a massive gulf between saying a kid is not yet ready to be considered important enough that he influences our summer purchases and saying that he hasn't cut it so should be moved on. To answer the question though, I think from our perspective we could wait until the kid is 23-24 before making that decision. However, I think in practical terms, it is a catch 22. You can believe in a kid but determined he needs games to reach his potential. In that situation the only option is to move them on for their own good. The situationally lucky or the truly outstanding will break through before that happens. The reality of being a kid at a top side like ours (or at least pretensions to that standing) is most kids, even if they potentially good enough, will have to move on somewhere else to realize that potential.

norwegian wood and redfanman like this.
  10. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

I'd like them both to get at least another couple of seasons, Ojo is younger than Wilson

11. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

As discussed on youth thread the benchmark is really high for youngsters to make it at this club but there are very few who have gone onto make it after not breaking through by age 19.

Personally I think we should raise the standard and be brutal and boot out anyone who has no chance of making it, probably half the academy.

TAA is the only one I see being an LFC regular from the current bunch

12. redfanman

Thats absolutely stupid. Then again, why doesnt that surprise me.

13. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

You don't have a clue about training do you? A club don't only sign players that they think will make it. They sign a lot of players to make the top class young players better. You need a lot of different type of players so the top class ones can train against them and be used to play against all type of players.

If one youth player a season makes it into the first team squad then that is good enough. In our case two made it this season. TAA and Woodburn. That means that it saves the club a lot of money. Then the players we signed to make them better but never got close to the first team squad was worth the millions they cost.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  14. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "┬┐Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Well if the youngsters are good enough, they will get games isn't that complicated. I advocate the purchase of Pulisic and if Ojo and Wilson can make a few more steps up in their game, surely they will be given games if and when the starters are not up for it or dropped in form. We also don't have to sell Coutinho and Firmino if we were to go for Brandt and Pulisic at the same time. We needed the quality in our depth, and our players at times do blow hot and cold air, not to mention injuries do hit us quite often. So again, if Ojo and Wilson is good enough, even if we bought Pulisic, they will get games. After all we do have a lot of competition to worry about seeing we would be at least in Europa League next season.

redfanman likes this.
  15. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

How much of the youth teams do you watch mate? I struggle to see how Ben Woodburn could of been any more impressive than he has for the u18s and U23s

redfanman likes this.
  16. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

When I take my 7 year old daughter to the u23s even she can tell that Ben Woodburn is a top player

redfanman likes this.
  17. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Who will the good ones play with if we kick half the academy out?
    What parents will want us to sign their kids?
    What about the late developers?
    What about making money off the kids who aren't good enough for Liverpool?
    Why am I trying to reason with the unreasonable? Fuck this I'm off for a pint.

18. Makati Red

Enjoy your beer mate

ILLOK likes this.
  19. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Look, this should be pretty simple. Why can't we just go into the editor and check out their Potential Ability ratings? Anyone with 150 or less gets sold.

jgw_geneseo and redfanman like this.
  20. Makati Red

Dont disagree just dont see him being a first team regular but i do see that with TAA

Players who will probably be ahead of him next season

Mane Chamberlin
    Origi Firmino
    Coutinho Brandt or similar

And I have left some players out plus the possibility of a new CF signing

21. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

He's only 17 so yes I very much doubt he will be a first team regular but he's no doubt rated as a future first team player by Klopp. Hope we go no where near the Ox

22. indianscouser

indianscouser Oh ya Beautttty!!

TAA is in similar position to Flanno(im talking of the 13/14 season) We all though he would be the next local lad following Carra and Steve. Didn't turn out.
    I expected Gomez to kick of brilliantly and that hasn't happened. Same with ibe the year before.
    One thing is for sure, one season doesn't guarantee anything. If you are going to make it as a local lad, you need luck (no injuries), a coach who believes in you and a capability of grasping any opportunity thrown at you.

23. Makati Red

Unfortunately it looks like a done deal

Woodburn has two years to make it in my book, if he is not getting game around 19 then it will be tough for him, hope he makes it

24. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

The only one I rated highly out of them was Gomez and I still do he's just been unlucky with injury. Always thought Flanno was a 100% player but lacked the athleticism to be a top fullback and Ibe was the opposite, loads of pace and power but devoid of any footballing intelligence, he basically just stood still watching unless he had the ball at his feet

redfanman likes this.
  25. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

He's getting game time at 17! And until anyone reliable says it's a done deal I will hold out hope it doesn't happen

redfanman and tabbyanne like this.
  26. Makati Red

Unfortunately its one of the most reliable sources going its the same guy that broke Rodgers was getting sacked before the Everton game. He doesnt get very much info but normally its spot on

27. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Jadon Sancho is 17 and unlike Woodburn he has never played for city's first team and maybe won't have by the time he's 19 but I have no doubt he will be an excellent player for them in the future

redfanman and tabbyanne like this.
  28. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

If it was Barrett or Pearce I'd believe it, I don't buy into itks

29. Limiescouse

The reality is though for the vast majority with the talent to make it at this level they need the games to become good enough. Talent is important, but for all but the outrageously talented, playing well at this level is a learned thing.

NickF likes this.
  30. redfanman

TAA is far more talented than Flanno was.

Zoran and NickF like this.