Who would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Zinedine Biscan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

True, maybe those early games in our cup until we meet some heavy weights near the end of the run, we should keep using the kids. That would be the only way to get them to show what they can do. Like Woodburn, he does have the talent from what he had shown, what he's missing is maturity (in decision making) and maybe a bit of muscles. But if we want to mount a serious challenge in the league title and maybe on all fronts since the manager doesn't like to give up competition, we cannot rely fully on the kids alone I feel.

2. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Not to derail the thread but League Cup run has proven to be very detrimental to us (unlike Chelsea and City who usually win the title afterwards!). I'd like to see Klopp "disrespecting" that competition by fielding his best youngsters and complementing them with seniors (same for early stages of FA Cup, depending on the draw). Our second string could theoretically have Lovren/Klavan and Gomez as centre backs, Can, Grujić/Wijnaldum as central midfielders, maybe Origi as one of three forwards. Surely there are starting places for new young left back, Alexander-Arnold and Woodburn?

I understand Klopp, he wants to win and he still doesn't fully trust this squad (not having proper cover for Mane, Coutinho and Firmino leaves it looking thin and unbalanced). It's not an easy task, developing your best kids for the future while looking to strengthen your squad for present without blocking anyone's path. If he gets those five we think he will, I think he will successfully juggle it for the next season, providing there are no injury crises we've grown accustomed to.

3. Makati Red

Makati Red Well-Known Member

Next season with 6 first team additions to the squad we should be able to field a team that can win the league cup without effecting the first team elect.

4. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

Sorry but I do not believe in " disrespecting " these games. A loss is a loss and is bad for players morale IMO.
    I noticed that Prem teams that went for it usually did well in their next fixture also, whereas we sort of threw it and did poorly in the next game. Winning is a habit.
    A player I would like to see at LFC is Gylfi Siggurdson if the price is right. I think Klopp would get the best out of him and he has the strength and ability we need in the squad.

5. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Playing a second string isnt disrespecting the league cup, if you have a valid reason for fielding them. All squad members need games, especially the younger players trying to break through and first team regulars may need the rest to enable them to continue performing at a high level in other competitions.

6. Makati Red

Where would you play him and whose place would he take

7. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

He's certainly got something we're lacking and that's a brilliant set piece delivery

8. MarlboroMan

MarlboroMan Vertrauen Sie mir

More links to Van Dijk and Keita this week and both would be great acquisitions. Supplement them with Gabriel 'Gabigol' Barbosa, Ryan Sessegnon and Oxlade-Chamberlain and I would be over the moon with our summer.
    Most of us want a LB would we need Milner's experience, fight and penalty taking ability playing fairly regularly and he just isn't good enough to play in CM over Henderson, Can, Gini or Lallana and likely anyone we buy. His ability in the final third isn't as good as Mane, Coutinho or Firmino either so fullback is his best position. Sessegnon is proving a quality player in the Championship so we might be able to count on him to provide cover at LB right away.
    Ox could play as a wide forward or as 1 of the 3 CMs but mostly as Mane's backup. As long as its for under 25m though.

Mignolet
    Karius​

Clyne.......Matip......Van Dijk......Milner
    TAA........Lovren...Klavan/Gomez.....Sessegnon

Henderson
    Can​

Wijnaldum............Lallana
    Keita.....................Grujic​

Mane........Firmino.......Coutinho
    Oxlade......Barbosa.....Origi
    Van Dijk - 50m, Sessegnon - 15m, Keita - 35m, Oxlade - 25m, Barbosa - 25m
    =150m

Possibly have another 50m for Oblak? Keita, Sessegnon, Barbosa might cost more than I have listed above though likely not that much more, maybe Keita will go for closer to 50m but we should still be able to get these players for around these prices. Of course they might go elsewhere or not move at all again probably talking about Naby Keita again. If not him then Paredes perhaps?
    Linked to Pickford but what would that mean for Karius who I'm betting we haven't seen his true potential yet. Pickford is where Karius was last season in the Bundesliga so should we splash out another 20m+ on another GK? Anyway if we do its likely Mignolet that goes and quite possibly the otherway to Sunderland, or back to Sunderland, if they stay up.

9. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Swap Oxlaide Chamberlain with Brandt and I'd be happy

10. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Unless it's someone of the quality of Oblak replacing Mignolet I wouldn't be changing our keeper. Karius needs the time to adjust and develop. When he arrived I was hoping he'd be ready to replace Mignolet over course of this season. He hasn't and fair dues to Mignolet he has improved over the season

MarlboroMan likes this.
  11. MarlboroMan

I would be fine with that but the thing is Bayern are said to be very interested in signing Brandt plus we could use Oxlade's versatility and the fact that he's English. We're likely selling Sturridge so we probably need to get in another English player in to satisfy the CL and PL homegrown squa requirements.

tabbyanne likes this.
  12. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Yeah him and Keita will probably end up at Bayern but I'd make a massive effort for both. Anything over 15m for Ox and I wouldn't be interested

tabbyanne likes this.
  13. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Would Karius come under homegrown due to the fact he come through City's academy?

14. tabbyanne

tabbyanne New Member

I think he was 1 year under being eligible but I might be incorrect

15. MarlboroMan

Don't know if he was there long enough, I think its 3 years minimum.

16. MarlboroMan

Rumours going around today that we already have a deal setup for the summer for Oxlade though no fee was mentioned.

We are definitely not in the driver's seat with both of them but if are set to buy Oxlade then I'd prioritize trying to get Naby Keita over Julian Brandt. Ox's lack of goals and assists is a big worry which beggers the question, why does Klopp like him this much. Maybe its his versatility, youth and nationality that Klopp likes? Either way I trust he knows much better than me.

17. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Melissa Reddy has said that Ox is somewhere off the top of the list, so it's unlikely that the current rumours about a deal with Ox is correct. That sounds more plausible than we have agreed a deal as of now for him.

tabbyanne likes this.
  18. NickF

NickF Well-Known Member

Does Klopp like him so much? When asked about signing him in Jan, Klopp said no chance

19. rickardinho1

rickardinho1 Active Member

Exactly.

Imagine hypothetically that we did sign all the targets we've been linked to in the Melissa Reddy article (i.e. VVD, Sessegnon, Keita, Ox, and Brandt), and the expected players leave (Lucas, Moreno, Sturridge, Sakho), then our squad would be this:

--------------- Mignolet
    ---------------- Karius
    Clyne -- Matip ----- VVD --- Milner
    Trent -- Lovren --- Klavan -- Sessegnon
    ---------- Gomez

------------------ Henderson
    ---------------------- Can
    --------- Keita ------------- Lallana
    -------- Wijnaldum ------ Grujic

Mané -------------------------- Coutinho
    Ox ------------------------------ Brandt
    Wilson ------------------------- Woodburn
    ---------------- Firmino
    ---------------- Origi
    ----------------- Ings

League cup games would be the perfect opportunity to give games to rotate, and fielding this "2nd string" wouldn't really be a case of "disrespecting" the League Cup, as much as just a case of giving starters valuable rest and keeping the squad match-fit.

All the top squads have strong depth, and though the team below is technically the "second XI" you wouldn't really call the team below "weak" as they would certainly be expected to put away most teams in the cup.

----------------- Karius
    Trent --- Lovren ----- Klavan ---- Sessegnon
    ------------------ Can
    --------- Wijnaldum --- Grujic
    Ox ---------------------------------- Brandt
    ------------------ Ings

(^ with starting roles for Woodburn, Gomez, Wilson, Ejaria etc if injuries permit).

Point being, it's not really disrespecting a competition if you can win games without fielding your top players. In fact, it would be very poor management not to rotate the squad.

20. rickardinho1

Clyne, Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, and Ings already fill those quota roles so we're not in any big rush to sign British players (plus Trent and Woodburn up and coming).

That said, it never hurts to sign decent English players when they're available to make it harder for rivals to meet quotas, which only inflates the fees they have to pay (eg Sterling and Stones) as well as being forced into signing average British players (eg. Delph).

21. rickardinho1

I'd envisage that Ox would be signed with a view of playing in midfield rather than in the front 3, given that Klopp has tended to move attacking players further back (eg. Piezcek, Durm, as well as Lallana, Wijnaldum, Milner etc) to ensure that the team has as many goals in it as possible, and I'd suspect the same would happen to Ox.

22. rickardinho1

It's possible that the club has sounded out his agent to check if he would be interested, and agreed the salary in principle with his agent before actually having sat down to negotiate a deal with Arsenal. One would think that that would be a pretty common procedure with players with their contracts running down, as it allows clubs and players to sound each other out first to verify that there is a mutual interest before wasting resources on negotiating fees. It would also mean that the club know where the player stands going into the window, even if he might not necessarily be the #1 choice.

23. Flobs

Flobs FADA

This thread is starting to make me think I really must update my FM manager. The 2012 version just doesn't do it anymore. :-(

24. JustHitMyHead

JustHitMyHead TIA Reserve Team

Don't think we have ever been linked with him, but I wouldn't mind having another Brazilian attacker in Felipe Anderson.

Fast and can play anywhere in attack plus there is no harm in strengthening the Brazilian roots at the club. Lose Lucas but gain another.

25. charmac

charmac Active Member

Agree, we'll need a decent striker, I can't see Sturridge being here next season and God knows how Danny Ings will fair after two major injuries, plus I don't rate Origi as a top striker (back up player at best but that's just my opinion) so yeah striker needed IMO

26. Flobs

Flobs FADA

Let's just get this straight. You don't rate Origi as a top striker but you do rate Ings (if his knees hold out)? :shocked:

27. RedForever2014

RedForever2014 Well-Known Member

The jury has to remain out on Origi until he's doing it consistently against all types of opposition.

We can't enter a season in which we intend to compete with Origi as the first choice striker.

We need a Torres or Suarez level striker, about 23 years of age, ready to become top class quickly. Origi would be one of the back ups.

Personally I'd sell Ings and Sturridge and sign a quality striker, and either use Firmino as the third option, or sign someone to use agains the more physical opponents and bus parkers.

Whatever positive signs come out of this run in, we have to up the quality and quantity in our best 11 and squad for next season. Everyone else will, so if we stand still we'll go backwards.

vjcpatriot likes this.
  28. soberphobia

soberphobia Well-Known Member

Nah. TAA is on a different level to Flanno and for all the hype around Ibe he was always a dumb footballer I didn't think either of them would make it. Gomez has real polish but we will have to see him in more games under real pressure before making a call.

That's the hard thing when judging youngsters as the difference in premier league games compared to u/23 is just massive. Woodburn is a case in point for me his game intelligence is at a level you almost never see in a youngster and he has really good skills especially finishing skills but i can't see him as a wide player at PL level as he doesn't have eletric pace maybe he will make it as an attacking midfielder but that is a coveted and hard to get a start in part of the pitch. Especially at Liverpool.

SirBillShankly and redfanman like this.
  29. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

Is there any chance we can lure any if the Juventus or AS Monaco Defenders coming to our club?
    They have been superb this Champion's League competition.

redfanman likes this.
  30. Makati Red

Mbappe please but wont happen