Who would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Zinedine Biscan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Did he really do that? i never saw anything about an offer being made and James saying no.

2. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Nah, but it seems like he's got his eyes more on a Chelsea or United. Not a huge shock if that's indeed the case, even if we make the CL.

3. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I've not seen one reliable source say we are in for James, let alone Asensio. I very much doubt we have bid for either of them.

Anfield rd Dreamer likes this.
  4. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Chelsea are without any form of European football and still have 15 players that have played over 700 minutes for them. Despite having an incredibly fortunate season when it comes to injuries. With European football and/or slightly less luck with injuries they'd have had well over 15 players playing well over 1000 minutes of football.

The days of having a super strong 11 and then nobodies backing them up are long gone. Now even a side lucky with injuries, a manager that doesn't rotate much and no European football still needs at least 15 players good enough to be fielded for a significant amount of time.

I never said anything about our keepers being good enough.

Milner is good enough he just needs a bit of resting/competition here and there.

Firmino offers much more than just goals that's why we tend to blow teams away with him, Coutinho and Mane. It's also a big reason why we are the top scoring team. It'd be good if Firmino or someone new was scoring 20+ a season but they need to offer what Firmino does at the same time.

I think you are using your own opinion of the quality of squad players and putting that opinion to my post. My post wasn't saying sign rubbish players or anything like that. It was pointing out we need to sign players as good or better than the 10-12 good outfield players we have so we can have 15 good players to call from over a season.

You are the one, in your post, that has decided we have a fixed starting 11 and therefore, because Klopp is happy with several, you, in your post, has now decided that means we will only sign a couple of good players and some rubbish ones.

You formed the theory. I was simply pointing out it is rubbish. I was not agreeing with the theory and then arguing that the plan (that you made up) was a good enough plan.

redfanman, Scorchio and NYRhockey like this.
  5. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Cech and Loris don't come close to De Gea or Courtois either. Mignolet has been no worse than Cech this season.

The idea that we are always buying squad players is false, we primarily have focused on buying for the first 11 for ages. We do need to buy players to improve our bench, that much has been obvious this year. Thinking that we can just replace Cou, Firmino and Mane with better players is daft.

Mane's goals per minute is not far off Costa's. Only 4 fewer goals in the premier league. Not having a 20 goal a season striker isn't the reason we are not at the top. Lukaku has 7 more than Costa and Kane has 4 more whilst missing more games. Ibra has the same amount, Sanchez has more. We are also top scorers. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

6. Jimmyscase

Jimmyscase DoctorJimmy's casebook. Aerial knee-job merchant

Mpappé's 10 year old brother.....On second thoughts let's leave it a couple of years or five

7. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

In his article from two days ago, if I remember correctly, Paul Joyce wrote an interesting line regarding his next striker move. It was something like, I'm paraphrasing, Klopp is looking to sign a forward who is effectively like Firmino in his ability to lead the defence from the front and a team player, rather than a classic focal point whose role is to finish off chances. So, Dolberg?

redfanman and NathanLfc like this.
  8. NathanLfc

NathanLfc New Member

Yes i rate Dolberg highly also but at 19 I think we might be asking a lot from him if we want someone who can beat Firminho into the first team

9. Scorchio

Scorchio Well-Known Member

Taking a stab, I'd say Ben Brereton of Forest. I'm reliably informed that the club are very very keen on him.

redfanman likes this.
  10. LFC_5

LFC_5 Member

First off , to compare Mignolet to Cech is laughable. Our fanbase have been calling for mignolets head for years now . Fuck me he was replaced by brad jones because he was that shit. A few good saves doesn't make him the best goalkeeper in the world lol.

Secondly where did I say we need to replace mane & coutinho? I would replace firmino yes . 100%. He's not a striker and never will Be. And certainly wasn't bought as one .

And as for Lloris not coming close to de gea? Ok then :well done:

11. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Morata....

12. ILLOK

So replace Firmino and buy no one else? Seems to leave us a bit short. Also not sure how well advised it is to replace a player who plays far more minutes than any of our other attacking players. He could be improved upon as a centre forward but he's pretty integral to this squad and the way we play.

If you think Cech is the same player he was 10 years ago fair enough. He's not though, not even close.

Limiescouse and Livvy like this.
  13. NYRhockey

Check your calendar, this isn't 2007.

14. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

I thought club intend to move him to U23 team if he signs? How does he compare to our strikers?

15. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Given this is his first season of first-team football and he's played just 15 games, I'd be stunned if he was to sign as anything other than a youth development prospect.

16. Scorchio

Realistically, I can't see Klopp replacing Firmino up top. After everything he's said this season, I'd imagine that Firmino is one of the first names on the team sheet. Likewise, I can't see the manager bringing in anyone over Origi, as that would only stunt his development. So there's every chance that any additions in that role would go into the under 23s.

From what I've seen, he reminds me a little of Danny Ings. He's only 18 or 19, but he's a bit of a unit, a big lad. He's decent in the air, works hard, he's not slow and he's not averse to running at defenders with the ball. Being young, he's a bit rough around the edges, but you'd expect that.

If we secure him this summer, then I'd say that it signals the end for Ings here.

redfanman likes this.
  17. Zinedine Biscan

Sadly, I think Ings is edging pretty close to the door whatever happens. Fourth (or fifth) serious knee injury in as many years? I thought he'd be a very good rotation option for us, at least, but think he could well be done at the sort of level we need him to be at.

18. big noyd

big noyd Active Member

probably finish second to spurs in goals scored, but firmino is a disaster and needs to be replaced

LFC_5 likes this.
  19. Zinedine Biscan

[​IMG]

Eintrachtfan, redfanman and Livvy like this.
  20. ILLOK

21. LFC_5

LFC_5 Member

He's won the golden glove at least 3 times since 2007 . lol

22. big noyd

big noyd Active Member

guy on twitter who seemed to be out in front on van dijk being a target has been saying the same thing

curious if that's what you're basing it on?

most people seem to think there's a good chance he's in england next season--hopefully chelsea goes for lukaku or someone else

23. ILLOK

Mignolet very nearly won it in the same season he got dropped for Brad Jones, far from the be all and end all.

Stop dragging the debate into the gutter with your snidey nonsense and strawmanning.

24. big noyd

big noyd Active Member

given some of the content on this page, i can see how somebody could miss the context/sarcasm

firmino got my vote for player of the year, due largely to mane's injury/afcon absence & the constant criticism of him

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  25. LFC_5

LFC_5 Member

As a striker yes he does. Great he can play uptop and all that but I'd take costa , Sanchez, auguero, Kane , ibrahimovic & lukaku over firmino all day long . Anyone who thinks otherwise is lying or kidding them selves.

26. LFC_5

LFC_5 Member

Debate? It's a forum. Haha. I'm so sorry ILLOK. Are you a mod? Or still wishing? Grow a pair and man up ffs. It's a forum not a classroom.

27. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Morata is the closest striker I can see that is attainable which is similar to Firmino, yet could play alongside him.

28. Scorchio

Is that a wanking aid?

redfanman likes this.
  29. ILLOK

The words 'man up' are almost always uttered by total nonces. FYI.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 10:42 PM
  30. NYRhockey

I've said it before and i'll say it again, mods need to be more proactive with this type of trolls. This guy has barely over 100 posts in almost a year of being a member, so when he does show up is with the same crap.

redfanman and Scott Jones like this.