Who would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Zinedine Biscan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo Expert YouTube scout

I like your list, but I'd prefer one of the youngish big name cfs mooted to be on the move. VVD, keita, Douglas Costa, and one of those CFs (Morata, belotti, Lacazette, Mbappe, Dybala, Celtic CF, whoever. Someone capable of scoring 25). Salah I'm good with as a replacement for Costa, not too bothered either way

2. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

That's the most depressing thing I've heard. Something died in me when I read that.

3. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Bladder?

4. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

In terms of age Icardi would fit into your list as follows (oldest at the top):

Lacazette (turned 26 in May)
    Morata (24, 25 in October)
    Icardi (turned 24 in February)
    Dybala (23, 24 in November)
    Belotti (23, 24 in December)
    Moussa Dembele (20, 21 in July)
    Mbappe (18, 19 in December)

In terms of goal-scoring, last season they rank as follows (ranked according to goals per game):

Lacazette: P45 G37 A5
    Belotti: P38 G28 A8
    Dembele: P49 G32 A9
    Icardi: P41 G26 A9
    Mbappe: P44 G26 A14
    Morata: P43 G20 A6
    Dybala: P48 G19 A9

Obviously you also need to factor in the standard of the league/opposition. In that respect Belotti's numbers are probably the most impressive and he is one of the younger ones.

If you rank them by goals + assists per game the list would be:

Belotti: 36 in 38
    Lacazette: 42 in 45
    Mbappe: 40 in 44
    Icardi: 35 in 41
    Dembele: 41 in 49
    Morata: 26 in 43
    Dybala: 28 in 48

Again Belotti's numbers are impressive as are Mbappe's particularly as he's by far the youngest at 18.

jgw_geneseo and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  5. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan The patient one

Belotti is a fair bit older than I thought. Based on the fact I'd never even heard his name before this season I assumed he was in the 20/21 age bracket and just breaking through. Is it a concern, I wonder, that he's played a decent number of full first-team seasons, but this was his only really impressive one? Given the amount they're talking about for him (£70m+), it seems like a pretty big risk for a guy who could well be a one-season wonder. Or he could simply have been getting better season on season and that trajectory is set to continue... still, big gamble you would think.

Mbappe's numbers are insane when you also factor in he only played 2/3s of the season (not really breaking into the team until November/December), and read somewhere that he only had 15 league starts by the end.

6. jgw_geneseo

jgw_geneseo Expert YouTube scout

Haha shows how much I know. I was thinking Icardi was an attacking mid. Your original wish list gets my stamp of approval. I don't know much about the Italian league these days. I haven't watched many of those names play, I'd just love a young and fit striker to be what we have all been hoping Sturridge would be over the past few years.

7. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

If Soton asks 70m for Vvd, wait till you hear the price on Alaba. I would have slept with Jennifer Lawrence before we sign Alaba.

8. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Tell me you've at least messaged her? We're all waiting for you to get on and f.ck Lawrence so that Sturridge can regain full fitness and we can sign Alaba. If you've done nothing about it then you're just being bloody selfish.

9. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

I think he would get plenty of game time if he came, but then I rate him quite highly.

Scott Jones likes this.
  10. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

coutinho , firmino , mane, studge , origi, lallana , ings , woodburn , ojo , solanke , +1 new pacy attacker ? i don't see where tadic gets into the team or on the bench without it stifling the progress of the young players and it doesn't significantly improve the quality . (if at all) he's decent but it's a risk asking a player used to playing week in week out and being the go to man for a mid table side - to become the game changer from the bench every so often. creative players need rhythm and that comes from being a regular

for the rumoured price i'm not totally against it in a squad building sense but not as a signing that improves upon what we already have . when we consider £30m for a relegated keeper then it's loose change in a transfer window lol

i like nathan redmond from southampton but i doubt they will welcome that :tongue:

Red_Jedi likes this.
  11. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

It's a reasonable thing to ask, and spending that much on anyone is a gamble, but I think yours is a harsh interpretation of his career so far. He is still at this point younger than Studge was when we bought him. He was still only 22 for around half the season just gone, which is still young by any stretch of the imagination and so to even have two full years of experience in Serie A under his belt going into this season is really impressive. His first season in Serie A, as a 20 year old for a newly promoted side, was admirable if unspectacular. His second season was much better, despite his side being relegation contenders. Then last season, after moving to a better side he improved yet again.

12. Zinedine Biscan

I mean, beyond a few highlights reels I checked out when he was cited in this thread, I've never seen the lad play. But just going by his numbers over the past few seasons it looked a bit like 'meh... meh... holy shit!'

Like I said, it could be a trajectory that will continue to rise, or it could just be a phenomenal season before reverting to the norm, and at £70m-odd it'll be a bold club that takes that gamble.

Edit: Are Torino that much better than Palermo? I would have thought the opposite (but that's based on a knowledge of Serie A that is pretty much still grounded in about 1998...)

13. Limiescouse

Take the identity of this kid out of the equation and ask yourself this - do you think it's fair to refer to the goal scoring performance of a 21 year old playing on a relegation threatened team as "the norm"?

And yes, Torino are significantly better than Palermo. Palermo were in Serie B when Belotti signed for them, got promoted in his first year there, spent two years fighting to stay up and went down immediately upon him leaving to join. Even without Torino being any great shakes, they have for several years been either midtable or EL place challengers.

14. Zinedine Biscan

I don't think 12 goals in 36 games for a mid-table team in Serie A aged 22 is particularly impressive, no. As for it being the norm, who can say, but I would say there's an even chance of him being unable to sustain his current output as there is of him doing so again, hence where the element of risk enters the equation.

Why, do you think he's a sure thing at that price?

15. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

Belotti seems a good player but I would not say buy him at any price but on the flip side if he came I would be excited to see how he does.

16. Zinedine Biscan

He seems like a good player fwiw... but for that kind of outlay you'd want a sure thing, I'd say. That's a bit hypocritical of me given that I'd love us to blow a world-record wad on Mbappe after achieving less, but I'm convinced that lad's going to be one of the greats, with Belotti I'm far less certain.

James H likes this.
  17. Limiescouse

Really? They werent midtable, they were a couple of place off relegation. In a league where 15 goals can have you threatening the top of the goal scoring charts, I think 12 is pretty damn good, especially for someone so young in a crap team. That season, his team mate, Dybala, who is the same age, scored only one more and that saw him wanted all over Europe.

And FWIW, I am not disagreeing with your pessimism over the value of the transfer, but over what I think is a harsh interpretation of his career thus far. No one has scored as much as he has in Serie A at that age for about 20 years. So that is quite a feat on it's own, but even more impressive for someone who has a lot more to his game than just goals.

Red_Jedi likes this.
  18. James H

James H "I dunno, I just work here"

I agree maybe not at any price, but if the club decided 70m was what he was worth and went for it, I don't think I would be disappointed, not like "ah why didn't we get such and such for that money".

19. Zinedine Biscan

Confused... I thought you said Torino had been comfortably midtable for several seasons at least? This was his second season there, as I said in his first he scored 12 in 36. I left out the previous year at Palermo (6 in 38) if they were as dire as you suggested.

As for the second point, I've not denigrated his form this season at all - in fact my one comment regarding it was "holy shit!" - but only questioning whether it can be sustained or if it's a flash in the pan... the point being, looking at last season, that can't be guaranteed.

20. Limiescouse

lol...too many arguments going at once. Right, that was his first season with Torino.

Zinedine Biscan likes this.
  21. RedForever2014

RedForever2014 Well-Known Member

The squad is 5 or 6 quality players from a title challenge.

As to FSG's record, in the seven years they've owned us we've finished in the top 4 twice and won one League Cup.

In the 7 years before they owned us we qualified for the CL nearly every year and won the CL, FA Cup, League Cup, plus various minor trophies (Community Shield, Super Cup).

22. Limiescouse

I feel you might be missing out some important information in there.

23. Zinedine Biscan

Come on, it's not like we were hours from bankruptcy in between those two things!

treboeth, ptt, redfanman and 3 others like this.
  24. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

I've read up some about it and it's a shame it was such a disaster with G&H and could not take full advantage of the talent the team had at the time.

Other than the point penalty, what other ramifications are there when a team goes under administration?

25. Zinedine Biscan

You pretty much end up where Leeds have been for over a decade.

26. Klopptinho

yorkshire ? seems a harsh punishment that .

27. Zinedine Biscan

Ha!

Klopptinho likes this.
  28. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

elaborate :-)

I read had we gone under administration it would have been a 9pt penalty which the team would have survived from a relegation standpoint, but what else plagued Leeds that they ended up where they are? didn't they go as far down as League One?

29. Zinedine Biscan

They were forced to sell off all their players for cut prices, couldn't buy others and slipped further and further away into irrelevance. They'd reached the CL semis only a year or two before their relegation, it was an astonishingly swift fall from grace.

Portsmouth suffered to a lesser extent, but they've gone from being a yo-yo club that would regularly get into the PL to one that sank to League Two (having just looked them up it seems they've back in League One as of next season having been promoted last month).

Basically, what I'm saying is, it would have been bad. Far from buying the likes of Suarez only a few months later, we'd have been more likely forced to sell of Gerrard, Carra and all our other big names, and very doubtful we'd have gone on to survive the season they way we were playing under Hodgson, imo.

ptt and Anfield rd Dreamer like this.
  30. Klopptinho

they had to sell all their players and their fish . we were on the verge of bankruptcy not just a points deduction.

NYRhockey likes this.