Youth Transfers Thread

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by Nikola, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Use this thread to discuss rumours regarding potential arrivals of players to Liverpool's youth teams.

2. Nikola

First rumour is that a seventeen year old forward from Coventry City by the name of Jordan Forrester is on his way to Liverpool. His Twitter page certainly looks... Different to that of other football players!

3. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

And i thought Hendo looked err .... "metrosexual"! Towie has had a bad influence on that lad!

Wasnt there some prolific Finnish (???) kid who we were supposed to be getting but he wanted a season in their senior side? Anything happen there?

4. Nikola

I never thought I'd see a hipster footballer... Oh, well. I Googled him, it seems that he was one of ten quickest youngsters in England over 100m at the age of 14.

As for the lad you're asking, Pohjanpallo was his surname, if I remember correctly, but I don't think that anything happened there. Our poster rivers7 should be able to tell us more about that one if he's around.

We were linked with a few talented strikers over the course of this year (no wonder given that we aren't exactly blessed with good young strikers) but instead of Marco Bueno from Pachuca and this Finnish lad we ended up with Yesil - and perhaps that Hodzic lad from Zeljeznicar should come when he's 18 (he looked pretty impressive when he played for our youth teams in friendly matches last summer).

5. Anfield rd Dreamer

Nice one thanks. I love our academy recruiting. McParland doesnt get anywhere near enough praise for it. Been exceptional in his job.

6. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Haha I see what you mean about his twitter, just right for Rodgers first team at 17 isn't he?

7. SF Red

SF Red TIA Regular

I thought Hodzic was already here, no? Did he go back after preseason?

8. Nikola

That's one aspect of our club where everybody went about their business and conducted it in a perfect manner. It remains to be seen what will happen with Segura's replecement - I believe that he was the one most responsible for recruitment.

If not a bit too old. ;-) On serious note, I wonder if this lad broke into Coventry's first team.

Apparently, he went back to Zeljeznicar. Some said that he was waiting until he was 18 and eligible to sign a new contract, some said that it was because of work permit. I'm not sure.

SF Red likes this.
  9. rivers7

rivers7 TIA New Signing

Nothing new on Pohjanpalo to Liverpool rumours. I´m pretty sure that train went when they signed Yesil. Very similar players those two.

10. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Pretty sure i heard that we had tried to sign him during the summer, but he rejected us. Dont know how reliable that story was (and can't remember which source it came from).

11. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

Rumour has it One Direction are favourites in the race for his signature

mattyhurst likes this.
  12. mattyhurst

mattyhurst TIA Regular

Nah Geordie Shore have got it signed...

13. Anfield rd Dreamer

Maybe we are interested due to Bein Liverpool season 2 needing to appeal to the Towie/Geordie Shore market?

14. allybally00

allybally00 TIA Squad Member

Young Irish CB Conor Masterson, the player signed on a 1 million contract at the end of last season, has started training with Liverpool. He is only 13/14 and was meant to start training with Liverpool when he turns 16 but Liverpool are bringing him over from Ireland to train 3-4 days a week.

My brother teaches him at school and says that he is a sound level headed lad not at all cocky etc. Hopefully he will develop nicely and make the break through to the first team in the future.

Nikola likes this.
  15. rivers7

rivers7 TIA New Signing

Yeah it´s certain that we tried to sign him but he said no. He wants to play and develop before he moves. He also said that when he moves abroad it will be for first team football, not ressies. Though Liverpool is his favourite club. Source for this information is himself in finnish papers and tv.

16. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

I'm glad to know he's only 13 as he got ripped apart in the Northern Ireland U16 v England U16 game, but that's understandable at that age.

17. hussnoor

hussnoor TIA New Signing

I thought this boy is from Dublin. How come hes playing for Northern Ireland and not Republic of reland

18. MarkMcC

MarkMcC TIA Squad Member

Does seem strange but over here you can play for either nationality if from island of Ireland by birth. This be first I've seen declaring from the North and being from the South though if true

hussnoor likes this.
  19. mpoletti

mpoletti Bearded Rumour Mill Regista

He turned us down this last summer for the second time in a year.

20. Sweeting

Sweeting Doesn't think Mignolet is that bad

Sorry it was Connor Quigley, not Masterton I was thinking of.

21. SF Red

SF Red TIA Regular

He turned us down so that he could play first team football. He would be probably getting a chance playing first team football now at LFC in the cups if he came (but of course he could not know that was going to happen).

22. allybally00

allybally00 TIA Squad Member

I like his attitude that at his age he will keep working on and learing his trade by playing a decent level of first team football regularly so that in a year or two he will be alot more ready to make the step up both physically and mentally. I hope we are still keeping an eye on his situation especially after all the changes over the last 6months or so.

23. rivers7

rivers7 TIA New Signing

Daily Mail claims that Liverpool is still interested signing Joel Pohjanpalo in january. His team won championship 4th time in a row and he was their best striker. HJK clinched the title last night and there were few Bundesliga scouts (Dortmund, Werder Bremen, Mochengladbach, Leverkusen) watching him and he was really good, though he didn´t score.

Here´s a new compilation on some of his goals and assists

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTGTGhvKhz0

Nikola likes this.
  24. Nikola

Wow, there are some quality finishes there! There is a touch of Huntelaar about this lad, I'd say. Those powerful near-post finishes always "buy" me when I watch a striker. Well, I guess we can't fail by bringing in a blond Fin (unless Hodgson is there to sell him).

25. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

I'm not sold (I've only seen that video and one other). He looks to be a target man type striker, which doesn't really fit in with what we're trying to do at the club. Further, with Morgan, Ngoo and Yesil already here, we shouldn't buy any more youth strikers unless they're a match made in heaven with Rodgers' footballing philosophy.

MarlboroMan likes this.
  26. Macedonian_Red

Macedonian_Red Banned Users

With Yesil and Morgan on our team, I can't see us going for Pohjanpalo ...

T.C.B likes this.
  27. Liverpaul_FC

Liverpaul_FC TIA Reserve Team

There's always room for more young strikers. Realistically they aren't all going to become regulars at this club. But if Rogers etc. see the potential in Joel then I hope we do go for him. Hopefully soon enough we'll have a strong enough squad that we can send a few 18-21 year olds out on loan to premier clubs to gain valuable experience. i.e. wilshere, welbeck, sturridge, miyaichi, cleverley.

28. dakid

dakid New Member

How is he not anything but a match made in heaven for rodgers system? Strength, pace and some very good first time finishes from outside the box and finishes from runs into the box.
    Ngoo clearly isnt rated.and no way is Yesil ready to play yet he looks far too weak. Rodgers clearly rates him as he turned down a three year contract from us in August.

29. OhYaBeauty

OhYaBeauty Mamadou Sakho Fan Club Chairman

There's no way Pohjanpalo is any further along in his development than Yesil. Yesil just plays in a much, much more difficult league. The Finnish league is on par with League 1 at best. Yesil also has a more impressive scoring record (albeit at reserve and U19 international level).

Yesil also seems to be much more technically and positionally savvy, as what I've seen of him includes first time finishes, poached goals, and little dribbles in the box. What I saw in that video (pretty much all I've seen of Pohjanpalo) is that his ball control isn't quite as good and neither is his positional sense. Most of the goals in the video came from exploiting space that wouldn't be there in Premier League play. I also think several of his shots would have been stopped by a PL keeper. What I've seen from Yesil are hard finishes to corners, shots that won't get stopped regardless of the opposition, and his movement impressed me more as well.

Regarding him being a match made in heaven for Rodgers' system, in no way is that the case. In possession football you need a striker who can link up play and still have the movement to score goals. Pohjanpalo seems more like a Huntelaar or Torres type striker that waits for the team to create a chance for him. I'll stop short of calling him a target man, but that sort of striker. In my original post I said we shouldn't buy a striker unless its a match made in heaven with Rodgers' system. To me, that means we're buying a future Aguero, Rooney, Tevez, Pedro, Sanchez, Neymar or Rossi.

Edit: want to reiterate, I know next to nothing about Pohjanpalo, but my impressions of the kid from the videos that I have seen are that he's no more advanced than our current youth strikers, he's not a link-up-play sort of striker, and he's not really necessary.

30. Macedonian_Red

Macedonian_Red Banned Users

In theory, yes ... In reality, we have a couple of very talented 18-year-old strikers who deserve some playing time in the League Cup and in the Europa League ... We should be getting talented players of the same age for other positions on the team, too ...