• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

#12: The Ring of Fire with eng.amohd

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member

The Ring of Fire with eng.amohd

This week has seen Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool take the latest step on the road towards the new season with a second comfortable triumph inside three days. From a 6-0 victory over neighbours Tranmere Rovers 6-0 on Thursday, we eased to a 3-1 success at League Two side Bradford City on Sunday afternoon while Sadio Mane is going to the final of the Africa Cup of Nations with Senegal.

From the United States to Egypt, this week the Ring of Fire travels over to Cairo as thrown into the 'Ring of Fire' this week is TIA Forum Member @eng.amohd

Your TIA Username: @eng.amohd

You and Liverpool FC
Favourite Current LFC Player
: Firmino
Favourite all-time LFC Player : Gerrard
Favourite all time Reds match : BVB at Home 4-3 Europa League

And the rest:
Favourite non-LFC Player : Mohamed Abou Terika (A legendary Egyptian Player)
Favourite other clubs (if any) : I have a soft spot for Atletico Madrid
Other sports/hobbies/past times : Family for me takes the most time. I am into computer programming, Classical Music and tennis too. Football tactics (and applying them to Football Manager!) and statistics are things I occasionally occupy myself with.

Living in Cairo, tell us something about yourself other forum members might not know already?

I am a Mechanical Engineer, I work as a Construction Contracts Administrator (similar to the quantity surveyor role in the UK), and I am doing my Masters in Aerodynamics. I served in the Egyptian Army as a soldier for a year.

Mohammed Salah recently spoke of his route to Liverpool where he said "I have sacrificed a lot for my career, to come from a village to go to Cairo, and to be an Egyptian at this level is unbelievable for me." Your local club is one of the first clubs where Salah first started, isn't it?

I live in Cairo, Al Qahirah in transliteration from Arabic (meaning 'the Vanquisher' literally), in a district called Abbassiyya, which is pretty much the center hub of the city. Incidentally, my local club is a couple of minutes drive away from where I live, El Mokawloon which was Salah's club prior to joing Basel.

What's it like to support Liverpool in Cairo?

I came to like Liverpool through my maternal uncles who supported LFC and used to watch CL matches with them circa. 2000. I grew up playing FIFA 99 mostly with Liverpool. I grew fond of Owen and Fowler, particularly Owen, who was my footballing hero. I lost interest in football, but slowly returned to watching and cheering and studying tactics, but never lost passion for Liverpool. By 2009, my passion for football was reignited and I started following Liverpool religiously, and I became a fully fledged supporter during one of darkest times of the club.

During this time (2009+) Liverpool was slowly being removed from being common knowledge mainly due lack of success and the newer generations following Man U, Barca and Real, among other top-dogs in Europe. Being a Liverpool fan was weird, as you don't always have access to watching the games in many local coffee-shops, local TV wasn't interested in broadcasting LFC matches, unless it is with Man U or Chelsea. We had to buy pay to watch channels, stream online or collect a few fellow supporters to a coffee-shop and convince them to let us watch LFC!

Tell us about the Liverpool Official Supporters Club in Egypt that you are part of?

The supporters club started a few years back when a group of LFC fans contacted the club and got the official status. I wasn't part that early, so I really don't know exact details on how the club was founded. However, I joined by chance when a friend of a friend found me on Facebook comments on a post of our mutual friend. We quickly became friends and he introduced me to the club.

We don't have any real sponsors, we rely on raising our own funds to organise events for each match. Recently we created some club merchandise like caps, hoodies, wallets etc. Our Facebook page is one of the most reliable sports pages in Egypt, and it is the main source of LFC related news in Arabic on FB. Our FB group have daily diverse discussions on every LFC related aspect, just like TIA. We are over 12K at this moment, and I have found another family in this club. It is incredible that a club in the other part of the world can get people together in that way.

How was Liverpool's Champions League final victory over Tottenham Hotspur - and Salah's integral role in it - perceived back in Egypt and is it fair to say Liverpool have a much larger fan base in Egypt than they did before Salah arrived from Roma two years ago?

Salah, and to a lesser extent Klopp, created a surge in interest in LFC here in Egypt. We are usually very passionate of our players abroad, and to have our best player in LFC garnered massive popular interest in LFC. People, regardless of their footballing culture, are always interested to watch the 'Salah vs any other team' game. People consider his success as one of their own and look at him with pride.

Our recent success went down well, and I believe LFC gained some more passionate followers and supporters here, not mere 'Salah fan-boys' that was interested to see how he fares.

For anybody who hasn’t followed the African Cup of Nations, give us a quick synopsis of how the tournament went for Egypt and Salah...

The AFCON was organized in some very turbulent sport, political and financial duress. Without going in too much details, the Egyptian League is played without fans since 2011, and we are going through some severe financial reforms making costs of living increase exponentially since 2016, giving rise to a not very stable political scene.

Some threat appeared when former president Morsi died a couple days in court before the AFCON. That said, the levels of security measures taken in AFCON was understandably immense and very stringent, something that seemed paranoid, including security personnel in the stands between the fans.

However, the tournament was organized superbly, the opening ceremony was grand, while the tickets are very expensive, and was in many cases misallocated and large amounts of tickets distributed among the many sponsors, making the it difficult to actual working-class fans to fill in the stands. Given the very little time we had in organizing the compo, I believe it to a massive success.

Egypt was a massive failure on-field sadly. The team looked disjointed, the squad was mispicked, and several off-field issues seemed to distract the concentration of the team. We, luckily, got through with full marks, but failed miserably with the first real test against the Bafana Bafana. Salah was not receiving proper support and was scraping chances, and finished joint top-scorer for us.

Not many supporters would have backed 28-year-old Nathaniel Clyne to be Liverpool’s first scorer in pre-season. Following reports suggesting Clyne could remain on Merseyside next season, (a player whose contract at Anfield expires next summer, is valued at £15 million and has been linked with the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Palace and the Cherries throughout the summer so far) and having made just five appearances for Liverpool in the first half of last season... In your opinion should Clyne stay as backup at Liverpool or leave for pastures new?

I always liked Clyne ever since he came in. Always done his job, kept his head down and performed we needed. He never had the flair of TAA or Andy, but imo he is the most reliable of them. I remember how he started his first game in almost a year of being injured against United, and had a great 90 minutes. Not many players could accomplish that.

While he is not the best going forward, defensively he is really solid, and I believe he could yet improve the attacking part of his game under Klopp. Meanwhile, he can fit in on the left, and satisfies the English and homegrown quota, and is an experienced international.

I'd love him to stay and I hope to see him fighting for his place.

Finally, what are your pre-season hopes and expectations?

I am always very realistic and reasonable in my demands and expectations of the team. Klopp is building a massive project at Liverpool and is already starting to reap the rewards. I believe he built a sustainable team that is ready to taken on England and Europe. So my pre-season expectations would be a serious title challenge against the juggernaut city squad, and a semi final appearance in the UCL. I doubt we have the required depth to mount a serious cup challenge, but who knows what could happen in the next few days in the transfer window. I can see us winning a cup if we get to bring in further quality depth, i.e. a quality LB and a forward.

The 'Ring of Fire' - a weekly feature on the This Is Anfield forums.

Many thanks to @eng.amohd for taking part this week and for taking the time to answer the questions, thanks mate!

Last edited:

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
Our Ring of Fire Starting XI
Click on the links below for previous Ring if Fire Editions....

#1 Sweeting
#2 Mascot88
#3 Iluvatar #4 Macolfc #5 Jaytinho
#6 Zoran
#7 Broomy
#8 roydom #9 Denzil #10 William Clarke
#11 Alright Now

Another cracking interview with @eng.amohd this week, cheers for another great insightful questions and answers session, thanks mate! Really enjoying this series so far, cheers to everyone who has contributed and took part so far, really goes to show how great the TIA community is!

Last edited:

Alright Now

This week has seen Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool take the latest step on the road towards the new season with a second comfortable triumph inside three days. From a 6-0 victory over neighbours Tranmere Rovers 6-0 on Thursday, we eased to a 3-1 success at League Two side Bradford City on Sunday afternoon while Sadio Mane is going to the final of the Africa Cup of Nations with Senegal.

From the United States to Egypt, this week the Ring of Fire travels over to Cairo as thrown into the 'Ring of Fire' this week is TIA Forum Member @eng.amohd

You and Liverpool FC

And the rest:
Other sports/hobbies/past times : Family for me takes the most time. I am into computer programming, Classical Music and tennis too. Football tactics (and applying them to Football Manager!) and statistics are things I occasionally occupy myself with.

Living in Cairo, tell us something about yourself other forum members might not know already?

I am a Mechanical Engineer, I work as a Construction Contracts Administrator (similar to the quantity surveyor role in the UK), and I am doing my Masters in Aerodynamics. I served in the Egyptian Army as a soldier for a year.

Mohammed Salah recently spoke of his route to Liverpool where he said "I have sacrificed a lot for my career, to come from a village to go to Cairo, and to be an Egyptian at this level is unbelievable for me." Your local club is one of the first clubs where Salah first started, isn't it?

I live in Cairo, Al Qahirah in transliteration from Arabic (meaning 'the Vanquisher' literally), in a district called Abbassiyya, which is pretty much the center hub of the city. Incidentally, my local club is a couple of minutes drive away from where I live, El Mokawloon which was Salah's club prior to joing Basel.

I came to like Liverpool through my maternal uncles who supported LFC and used to watch CL matches with them circa. 2000. I grew up playing FIFA 99 mostly with Liverpool. I grew fond of Owen and Fowler, particularly Owen, who was my footballing hero. I lost interest in football, but slowly returned to watching and cheering and studying tactics, but never lost passion for Liverpool. By 2009, my passion for football was reignited and I started following Liverpool religiously, and I became a fully fledged supporter during one of darkest times of the club.

During this time (2009+) Liverpool was slowly being removed from being common knowledge mainly due lack of success and the newer generations following Man U, Barca and Real, among other top-dogs in Europe. Being a Liverpool fan was weird, as you don't always have access to watching the games in many local coffee-shops, local TV wasn't interested in broadcasting LFC matches, unless it is with Man U or Chelsea. We had to buy pay to watch channels, stream online or collect a few fellow supporters to a coffee-shop and convince them to let us watch LFC!

Tell us about the Liverpool Official Supporters Club in Egypt that you are part of?

The supporters club started a few years back when a group of LFC fans contacted the club and got the official status. I wasn't part that early, so I really don't know exact details on how the club was founded. However, I joined by chance when a friend of a friend found me on Facebook comments on a post of our mutual friend. We quickly became friends and he introduced me to the club.

We don't have any real sponsors, we rely on raising our own funds to organise events for each match. Recently we created some club merchandise like caps, hoodies, wallets etc. Our Facebook page is one of the most reliable sports pages in Egypt, and it is the main source of LFC related news in Arabic on FB. Our FB group have daily diverse discussions on every LFC related aspect, just like TIA. We are over 12K at this moment, and I have found another family in this club. It is incredible that a club in the other part of the world can get people together in that way.

How was Liverpool's Champions League final victory over Tottenham Hotspur - and Salah's integral role in it - perceived back in Egypt and is it fair to say Liverpool have a much larger fan base in Egypt than they did before Salah arrived from Roma two years ago?

Salah, and to a lesser extent Klopp, created a surge in interest in LFC here in Egypt. We are usually very passionate of our players abroad, and to have our best player in LFC garnered massive popular interest in LFC. People, regardless of their footballing culture, are always interested to watch the 'Salah vs any other team' game. People consider his success as one of their own and look at him with pride.

Our recent success went down well, and I believe LFC gained some more passionate followers and supporters here, not mere 'Salah fan-boys' that was interested to see how he fares.

For anybody who hasn’t followed the African Cup of Nations, give us a quick synopsis of how the tournament went for Egypt and Salah...

The AFCON was organized in some very turbulent sport, political and financial duress. Without going in too much details, the Egyptian League is played without fans since 2011, and we are going through some severe financial reforms making costs of living increase exponentially since 2016, giving rise to a not very stable political scene.

Some threat appeared when former president Morsi died a couple days in court before the AFCON. That said, the levels of security measures taken in AFCON was understandably immense and very stringent, something that seemed paranoid, including security personnel in the stands between the fans.

However, the tournament was organized superbly, the opening ceremony was grand, while the tickets are very expensive, and was in many cases misallocated and large amounts of tickets distributed among the many sponsors, making the it difficult to actual working-class fans to fill in the stands. Given the very little time we had in organizing the compo, I believe it to a massive success.

Egypt was a massive failure on-field sadly. The team looked disjointed, the squad was mispicked, and several off-field issues seemed to distract the concentration of the team. We, luckily, got through with full marks, but failed miserably with the first real test against the Bafana Bafana. Salah was not receiving proper support and was scraping chances, and finished joint top-scorer for us.

Not many supporters would have backed 28-year-old Nathaniel Clyne to be Liverpool’s first scorer in pre-season. Following reports suggesting Clyne could remain on Merseyside next season, (a player whose contract at Anfield expires next summer, is valued at £15 million and has been linked with the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Palace and the Cherries throughout the summer so far) and having made just five appearances for Liverpool in the first half of last season... In your opinion should Clyne stay as backup at Liverpool or leave for pastures new?

I always liked Clyne ever since he came in. Always done his job, kept his head down and performed we needed. He never had the flair of TAA or Andy, but imo he is the most reliable of them. I remember how he started his first game in almost a year of being injured against United, and had a great 90 minutes. Not many players could accomplish that.

While he is not the best going forward, defensively he is really solid, and I believe he could yet improve the attacking part of his game under Klopp. Meanwhile, he can fit in on the left, and satisfies the English and homegrown quota, and is an experienced international.

I am always very realistic and reasonable in my demands and expectations of the team. Klopp is building a massive project at Liverpool and is already starting to reap the rewards. I believe he built a sustainable team that is ready to taken on England and Europe. So my pre-season expectations would be a serious title challenge against the juggernaut city squad, and a semi final appearance in the UCL. I doubt we have the required depth to mount a serious cup challenge, but who knows what could happen in the next few days in the transfer window. I can see us winning a cup if we get to bring in further quality depth, i.e. a quality LB and a forward.

Many thanks to @eng.amohd for taking part this week and for taking the time to answer the questions, thanks mate!
Thank you, @eng.amohd. Really enjoyed reading about Liverpool’s emergence in Egypt. Curious to know if Roma developed a fan base with Mo as well.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Thank you, @eng.amohd. Really enjoyed reading about Liverpool’s emergence in Egypt. Curious to know if Roma developed a fan base with Mo as well.
Thanks mate, glad you liked it.
Roma didn't develop a fanbase, people just followed it to know about Salah and Totti at the time, after Salah left, I don't see any real Roma fans out there.

eng.amohd

The segundo volante

You and Liverpool FC

And the rest:

Thanks @Broomy for the wonderful experience! I am really proud to be a part of the wonderful LFC and TIA family :celebrating:

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I really enjoyed reading your experiences @eng.amohd in supporting our great club over in your homeland of Egypt. As for your country's exploits at AFCON, I must say that I thought they would have got through to the final, with Salah coming up against Senegal's Sadio Mané. Sadly for your nation it wasn't to be. Anyway, cheers, mate, for giving us a perspective of yours and fellow fans who follow LFC in Cairo. YNWA

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
I really enjoyed reading your experiences @eng.amohd in supporting our great club over in your homeland of Egypt. As for your country's exploits at AFCON, I must say that I thought they would have got through to the final, with Salah coming up against Senegal's Sadio Mané. Sadly for your nation it wasn't to be. Anyway, cheers, mate, for giving us a perspective of yours and fellow fans who follow LFC in Cairo. YNWA
It was well known here that the team will underwhelm in the AFCON, the squad selection was very poor, the general level of the league here has detoriated. The team's results in the group stages deceived many, but the performance was appalling. Hopefully things get better soon, the FA has resigned and the manager, Javier Aguirre, sacked.

Cheers mate, and YNWA! :)

Kopstar

★★★★★★
@Broomy thanks so much to you and the contributors for these write ups, really interesting to hear about how others from around the place ended up supporting lfc. Really helps create a sense of community, well done.
Awww... fuck, I hope that doesn't mean we're going to have to hear from any of those bastard antipodean forumites.

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
Awww... fuck, I hope that doesn't mean we're going to have to hear from any of those bastard antipodean forumites.
I suppose i'll have to venture over at some stage.... lol

Been to a few different countries already in the series... When I retire i'm expecting @Jaytinho to collect me at the airport in Durban and take me on a tour of South Africa, @roydom to bring me to Temple Bar for a few pints of Guinness, @Zoran to bring me on a pub crawl in Zagreb and @eng.amohd to show me every tourist spot in Cairo, it'll be a little mini road trip blog on the forums, if anyone would like to sponsor flight/beer money etc give me a shout!!!

I think next week (if I can manage to get him to finish answering a few more question) i'll be interviewing a forum member who is a singer/songwriter who has just sent me some of his originial songs and i have to say i've been singing along to them all morning! Mission will be to get him to Number 1 in the charts by the end of July!

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

Been to a few different countries already in the series... When I retire i'm expecting @Jaytinho to collect me at the airport in Durban and take me on a tour of South Africa, @roydom to bring me to Temple Bar for a few pints of Guinness, @Zoran to bring me on a pub crawl in Zagreb and @eng.amohd to show me every tourist spot in Cairo, it'll be a little mini road trip blog on the forums, if anyone would like to sponsor flight/beer money etc give me a shout!!!

I think next week (if I can manage to get him to finish answering a few more question) i'll be interviewing a forum member who is a singer/songwriter who has just sent me some of his originial songs and i have to say i've been singing along to them all morning! Mission will be to get him to Number 1 in the charts by the end of July!
I can give you a tour of downtown Skelmersdale. Show you all the sights: the police station - it's been shut down and will be for over a year for a refurb; Skelmersdale's new railway station that's been promised and will be built in 7 to 10 years time; a new town centre, arriving whenever, to coexist alongside a shopping centre that we already have; and ... well, yes, that's about it. The tour should last for a whole five minutes at least.

Jaytinho

When you get here, Im taking you through the hood! We gonna watch games at a local shebeen, braai some meat and drink lots of beer! lol The usual hotel thing can get boring, dont worry, people know me, you will be safe lol

roydom

TIA Reserve Team

Much better places that Temple Bar to go!

Jaytinho

Really enjoyed this read, nice to see Aboutrika mentioned! Next to Benni McCarthy, Aboutrika is probably one of my fave african players of all time. He was a beast in the middle

eng.amohd

The segundo volante
Really enjoyed this read, nice to see Aboutrika mentioned! Next to Benni McCarthy, Aboutrika is probably one of my fave african players of all time. He was a beast in the middle
He didn't get much international recognition he deserves sadly. Top fellow, extremely humble and decent person and a top top midfielder.