• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

#19: The Ring of Fire with [email protected]

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
The Ring of Fire with [email protected]

Liverpool are top of the table and even set another new club record with their 13th consecutive league win following their 3-0 victory at Burnley on Saturday evening.

To look back at the weekend's action, the Ring of Fire travels back over to South Africa this week as thrown into the 'Ring of Fire' is TIA Forum Member
[email protected] .

Your TIA Username: [email protected]

You and Liverpool FC
Favourite Current LFC Player :
Gotta be Van Dijk
Favourite all-time LFC Player : Steven Gerrard
Favourite all time Reds match : Istanbul
Funniest moment following the Reds : The above as well. Watched it with a bunch of United supporters. The journey from sage smugness to magnanimous at scoring a consolation to genuine concern to incredulous disbelief to 'Good God no!' to fume after was as funny as fuck. Also helped that at the time I was dating the daughter of the biggest United supporter in those present as well.

And the rest:
Favourite other clubs :
I used to follow other leagues, vaguely. Now I do not even bother. Favourite A N Other is now just whichever team has a fixture that help us get a leg up.
Other sports/hobbies/past times : Fishing is now my go to. Used to do a lot of cricket and 5 a side but its ended up falling away sadly as I grew older.
Non-footballing heroes : Bit of a tough one this. Personally found out that idolising someone tends to end with disappointment in some form as we find out that they are also just human. My mom and I had a very fractured relationship as I hit the teens and early twenties more due to my own exalted sense of self than anything else but despite that, she has remained the one person I can turn to when all else has fallen away even after all the events of yesteryear. It takes some woman to do what she has done for me growing up with the sacrifices she made then to put up with me and still remain selfless to me. I cannot think of anyone else I would call more of a hero than her.

Liverpool have now just lost one of their past 43 Premier League fixtures and are now unbeaten in 21.... How did you assess yesterday's 3-0 victory over Burnley and what main talking points did you learn from the match?

So much more relaxed than I expected. Can't actually remember an easier game there before and all the talk was how about this would be out most difficult test thus far. If thats difficult then yes please, and two helpings on Sundays thanks. 3 main points; We are deadly up top, Fabinho is just fucking brilliant and Salah needs to pass every now and then. Pity about the strop; I never really like seeing that.

Which opposition player for Burnley impress you the most yesterday and why?

Barnes put himself about but got no change and started looking like a man amongst boys and the same for Wood. Pieters and Lowton have our FB's a good game but I am really having to try to find a good 'un here. They were outplayed and it showed.

Last week saw Liverpool drawn in Group E of the Champions League along with Napoli, Salzburg and Genk as they start their journey on the road to number seven.... Are you happy with the draw?

On the whole yes, nothing really standout to cause us too much of a flutter. Bit annoyed at Napoli again as they probably feel they have unfinished business with us and they are a good team so won't be taking anything for granted there. Getting out the group is always the most important thing and with the draw anything is always possible, as we have seen, and this group about as good as we could have wished for imo.

It was also a week that saw Virgil van Dijk become the first Dutch player to win the UEFA Men's Player of the Year Award. An incredible reward for his performances at the heart of the Liverpool defence... Just how good and important has Van Dijk been to the Liverpool team these past few months?

Absolutely justified. Messi and Ronaldo are great but to an extent they are going on past exploits and are also the biggest bullies on some of the fattest tracks out there but VVD has been a rock in an extremely competitive and physical league where rest is at a premium. No resting up to prepare for the big opponent two weeks down the line with our circumstance and he was a rock both physically and mentally. He's been immense since he joined really. When we finally got him we finally see what we were missing in the team, like Alissom as well. I mean the difference between what went before and after, wow. Just wow. We have so many important players now, world class throughout the team which is incredible to think given the state of affairs just 4 years ago and VVD is just about the most important I feel but by no means the only important cog. Lets call him first amongst equals.

VAR and the new interpretation of the handball rule are going to be talking points throughout the season... Just 4 weeks into the season, what have you made of VAR so far?

I like it and I think it's doing well in most things and the people complaining seem to be pundits and City fans and anything that is causing those two groups headaches is fine by me. That said, the clear and obvious error interpretation is silly and they should just concentrate on getting decisions right. The powers that be have made it a bit cumbersome and I think if we nominated 5 forum members from here to be in charge of implementing it across football they'd have come up with a better and more efficient system of implementation.

[email protected], growing up in Margate, how did you come to support Liverpool?

Didn't actually grow up in Margate, only been here since 2015. No, I actually grew up in the Kwa-zulu Natal Midlands in a small town called Mooi River. A very good family friend who basically had became family over the many years was from Liverpool and the stories he would tell of Liverpool and the war and just... well, everything was incredible to a wide eyed little boy. There was never any danger of becoming anything other than a supporter

Tell us a little bit about where your from?

Mooi River. Incredible place if you know where to look. The town itself now is getting rather decrepit in many ways but the countryside is truly magical; rolling hills, loads of little streams and dams and when the mist starts to gather and float down into the valleys it is almost as if stepping into another time and place altogether. Loads of history with the English as well; no major battles in the direct area but with the Battlefields just about 100km away North and East it was very much in the zone as it were.

As mentioned by myself before, the battlefield of Spionkop itself is basically an hours drive away so have to say, Mooi River was a pretty cool place to grow up in.

On a slightly weird note and an indication of how small a world we live in, our very own Kopstar ended up in Mooi River for a short period well many many years ago and was present, not schooling though, at the biggest local rival to my school. We never met but considering Mooi River is in the middle of pretty much nowhere, it's really pretty remarkable.

What's it like to support Liverpool in Margate?

It's a bit lonely in Margate tbh but that's mostly due to my changing lifestyle than any lack of support. Liverpool are massive pretty much everywhere you go in South Africa. I moved here in 2015 and have not really made any great friendships aside from those already present and of those its just myself and another guy that get together every now and then to watch. Durban has supporters clubs for sure but being an outdoor its never really been my kind of town (it is pretty cool though). The time difference for matches is negligible really. Right now it's an hour later than the UK and in our summer, your winter, it's two hours later. I revolve my schedule around game time and never miss a game unless completely unavoidable.

The 'Ring of Fire' - a weekly feature on the This Is Anfield forums.

Many thanks to
[email protected] for taking part this week and for taking the time to answer the questions, thanks mate!

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
The Ring of Fire Series has travelled to 10 countries so far and I have to say it's good for the old Geography, i'm learning a fair bit from ye's all with the google maps!! [email protected], Mooi River looks like a lovely place to visit, the Mooi River Waterfall looks seriously impressive.... Cheers again mate!