• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

#20: The Ring of Fire with Scott Jones

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
The Ring of Fire with Scott Jones

Liverpool have just made it five wins from five to start the new season having recorded a 3-1 victory over Newcastle at Anfield.

To look back at the weekend's action, the Ring of Fire travels back to Nottingham this week as thrown into the 'Ring of Fire' is TIA Forum Member
Scott Jones.

Your TIA Username: Scott Jones

You and Liverpool FC
Favourite Current LFC Player :
Mane.
Favourite all-time LFC Player : John Barnes
Favourite all time Reds match : The Barca comeback from 3-0 down,has to be.
Funniest moment following the Reds :Suarez diving at Moyes

And the rest:
Favourite non-LFC Player :
Pavel Nedvěd
Favourite other clubs (if any) : Doncaster Rovers
Other sports/hobbies/past times : Rugby.
Non-footballing heroes :
Martin Johnson (Rugby Union) complete gent off the field.

First up Scott, tell us your earliest Liverpool footballing memory?

I was ten years old and went to PE and forgot my gym kit and i had to do the walk of shame to the "lost kit bin" and grabbed a girls pleated school skirt by mistake and a itchy red top from the bin,when i returned to the gym my teacher told me to wear the skirt to stop me forgetting my kit next time and i put the top on and it was the Hitachi LFC one and after the lesson i accidentally nicked it and pretended it was mine and wore it to every gym lesson after that, i just fell in love with it and my parents bought me a new one with velvety crown paints across the belly and I've been hooked since.

Haha, so who did you actually pretend to be while playing at the schoolground, who was your idol and why?

I had a very difficult childhood and was bullied by my father (later found out not biological father) and after starting to support LFC i latched on to John Barnes, he amazed me not only in football but how he dealt with abuse always walking tall and smiling, i knew deep down it hurt him but his temperament was awe inspiring and brought me ever closer to football.

My childhood was helped greatly as i had an escape,something to immerse myself into,i joined the school team so training after school and playing other schools midweek and eventually joining with my areas boys team outside of school (South Elmsall boys) which got me travelling around Yorkshire playing on a Sunday, the great man helped me a lot.

Including John Barnes then, if could list 3 other people associated with Liverpool past or present to attend a dinner party hosted by you, who would they be and why?

1) Robbie Fowler,bit of a rogue and i bet a fucking hoot to meet and have a couple of drinks with,as well as being my favourite striker ever.

2) Klopp, i mean,who wouldn't, amazing man.

3) I'd sneak @Alright Now in because he's super cool and would probably melt in front of Klopp which would be funny.

Tell us something about yourself forum members may not know already?

I grew up in a small village (South Elmsall Nr Pontefract West Yorkshire) surrounded with nothing but countryside, i'm a bit of a country bumpkin and constantly get mocked (banter) for the way i talk which probably translates in my posting style, Yorkshire born and bread, strong in arm thick in head pretty much sums me up.

Forum member Semmy wants to know what would be your choice location to watch an away match, both inside and outside of England?

I'd love to go to Istanbul, CL final with my son to see Liverpool v Barcelona.

TIA forum member AussieLad wants to know what team would best most closely sum up your personality/view on life?

Probably Burnley, i punch way above my weight and i've got a bit of a feisty and no nonsense manner about me, surprising i know.

We’ve all witnessed the emotional charged nights at Anfield and abroad, the extraordinary stories, the unforgettable memories... What is your most treasured Liverpool moment so far?

The Barca comeback,my Barca fan sons response to the first leg irritated the fuck out of me saying they were too much for us but as the father i hid the feelings of rage at such shite he spoke of,i knew it wasn't over but he had no such feeling and was humoured by my thinking so making a bigger hole to fall in if his Barca did lose,then the amazing night at Anfield,my son cracked at 2-0 and started crumbling in front of me the arrogance fleeing him,the 3rd and he was red faced fuming hearing me repeat his words to him,'Barca are just too much for us son',4th goal,my son couldn't believe it,we won and through to the final so i skipped to the shop and got my lad a few cry baby beers,fucking brilliant night.

It has been a hugely promising start; the Super Cup was won against Chelsea, while the Premier League has seen three points taken from Norwich, Southampton, Arsenal, Burnely and Newcastle.... What have you learnt from the first 5 weeks of the season?

I've learnt that we're constantly evolving, Klopp still seeking perfection and tinkering to keep the process of getting better and better,it's been a long time in coming that we can watch our team with much less fear and pessimism, fantastic.

Liverpool now remain undefeated at Anfield since early 2017 – a run of 43 games. How did you assess our 3-1 victory over Newcastle and what 3 main talking points did you learn from the match?

I think we struggle to get up to full speed for the first 15/20 mins so look at our most vulnerable in that period, problem for the opposition tho is that once at full speed we're just so composed and confident the door is going to be caved in and goals will definitely come, to be fair the speed in which we play it must be like jumping from a car at full speed hoping your legs catch up with the ground you're landing on, difficult pace to click immediately from kick off but we're bouncing at the moment tho after that first 15/20.

Which opposition player for Newcastle impressed you the most yesterday and why?

Has to be the goal scorer, beautiful hit on the ball.

Finally Scott, Liverpool face Napoli next, how would you like Jurgen Kloop to set up his team in terms of team selection and tactics?

I think same as the Newcastle game but with Firmino starting and with Ox getting more time as fully fit is a player who could make all the difference for us this year,tactically fancy we'll be facing a lock down so could be frustrating but our new level of confidence feels like killing the game against us is not really a very good option, we'll carve them open a few times.

The 'Ring of Fire' - a weekly feature on the This Is Anfield forums.

Many thanks to
Scott Jones for taking part this week and for taking the time to answer the questions, thanks mate!

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
Our Ring of Fire Series

Click on the links below for previous Ring of Fire Editions....

Countries the Ring of Fire has travelled to so far:

America: #11 Alright Now
Belarus: #14 Sigurvegari
Brazil: #15 Koon
Croatia: #6 Zoran
Egypt: #12 eng.amohd
England: #1 Sweeting #2 Mascot88 #3 Iluvatar #4 Macolfc #9 Denzil #10 William Clarke
#16 Zinedine Biscan #18 AussieLad
Germany: #13 Geebo
Ireland: #7 Broomy #8 roydom
South Africa: #5 Jaytinho #19 [email protected]
Singapore: #17 gasband

Right lads, there's only two more q&a threads left in this series... Hard to believe we've 20 forum members interviewed already!​

Alright Now

The Ring of Fire with Scott Jones

Liverpool have just made it five wins from five to start the new season having recorded a 3-1 victory over Newcastle at Anfield.

To look back at the weekend's action, the Ring of Fire travels back to Nottingham this week as thrown into the 'Ring of Fire' is TIA Forum Member
Scott Jones.

Your TIA Username: Scott Jones

You and Liverpool FC
Favourite Current LFC Player :
Mane.
Favourite all-time LFC Player : John Barnes
Favourite all time Reds match : The Barca comeback from 3-0 down,has to be.
Funniest moment following the Reds :Suarez diving at Moyes

And the rest:
Favourite non-LFC Player :
Pavel Nedvěd
Favourite other clubs (if any) : Doncaster Rovers
Other sports/hobbies/past times : Rugby.
Non-footballing heroes :
Martin Johnson (Rugby Union) complete gent off the field.

First up Scott, tell us your earliest Liverpool footballing memory?

I was ten years old and went to PE and forgot my gym kit and i had to do the walk of shame to the "lost kit bin" and grabbed a girls pleated school skirt by mistake and a itchy red top from the bin,when i returned to the gym my teacher told me to wear the skirt to stop me forgetting my kit next time and i put the top on and it was the Hitachi LFC one and after the lesson i accidentally nicked it and pretended it was mine and wore it to every gym lesson after that, i just fell in love with it and my parents bought me a new one with velvety crown paints across the belly and I've been hooked since.

Haha, so who did you actually pretend to be while playing at the schoolground, who was your idol and why?

I had a very difficult childhood and was bullied by my father (later found out not biological father) and after starting to support LFC i latched on to John Barnes, he amazed me not only in football but how he dealt with abuse always walking tall and smiling, i knew deep down it hurt him but his temperament was awe inspiring and brought me ever closer to football.

My childhood was helped greatly as i had an escape,something to immerse myself into,i joined the school team so training after school and playing other schools midweek and eventually joining with my areas boys team outside of school (South Elmsall boys) which got me travelling around Yorkshire playing on a Sunday, the great man helped me a lot.

Including John Barnes then, if could list 3 other people associated with Liverpool past or present to attend a dinner party hosted by you, who would they be and why?

1) Robbie Fowler,bit of a rogue and i bet a fucking hoot to meet and have a couple of drinks with,as well as being my favourite striker ever.

2) Klopp, i mean,who wouldn't, amazing man.

3) I'd sneak @Alright Now in because he's super cool and would probably melt in front of Klopp which would be funny.

Tell us something about yourself forum members may not know already?

I grew up in a small village (South Elmsall Nr Pontefract West Yorkshire) surrounded with nothing but countryside, i'm a bit of a country bumpkin and constantly get mocked (banter) for the way i talk which probably translates in my posting style, Yorkshire born and bread, strong in arm thick in head pretty much sums me up.

Forum member Semmy wants to know what would be your choice location to watch an away match, both inside and outside of England?

I'd love to go to Istanbul, CL final with my son to see Liverpool v Barcelona.

TIA forum member AussieLad wants to know what team would best most closely sum up your personality/view on life?

Probably Burnley, i punch way above my weight and i've got a bit of a feisty and no nonsense manner about me, surprising i know.

We’ve all witnessed the emotional charged nights at Anfield and abroad, the extraordinary stories, the unforgettable memories... What is your most treasured Liverpool moment so far?

The Barca comeback,my Barca fan sons response to the first leg irritated the fuck out of me saying they were too much for us but as the father i hid the feelings of rage at such shite he spoke of,i knew it wasn't over but he had no such feeling and was humoured by my thinking so making a bigger hole to fall in if his Barca did lose,then the amazing night at Anfield,my son cracked at 2-0 and started crumbling in front of me the arrogance fleeing him,the 3rd and he was red faced fuming hearing me repeat his words to him,'Barca are just too much for us son',4th goal,my son couldn't believe it,we won and through to the final so i skipped to the shop and got my lad a few cry baby beers,fucking brilliant night.

It has been a hugely promising start; the Super Cup was won against Chelsea, while the Premier League has seen three points taken from Norwich, Southampton, Arsenal, Burnely and Newcastle.... What have you learnt from the first 5 weeks of the season?

I've learnt that we're constantly evolving, Klopp still seeking perfection and tinkering to keep the process of getting better and better,it's been a long time in coming that we can watch our team with much less fear and pessimism, fantastic.

Liverpool now remain undefeated at Anfield since early 2017 – a run of 43 games. How did you assess our 3-1 victory over Newcastle and what 3 main talking points did you learn from the match?

I think we struggle to get up to full speed for the first 15/20 mins so look at our most vulnerable in that period, problem for the opposition tho is that once at full speed we're just so composed and confident the door is going to be caved in and goals will definitely come, to be fair the speed in which we play it must be like jumping from a car at full speed hoping your legs catch up with the ground you're landing on, difficult pace to click immediately from kick off but we're bouncing at the moment tho after that first 15/20.

Which opposition player for Newcastle impressed you the most yesterday and why?

Has to be the goal scorer, beautiful hit on the ball.

Finally Scott, Liverpool face Napoli next, how would you like Jurgen Kloop to set up his team in terms of team selection and tactics?

I think same as the Newcastle game but with Firmino starting and with Ox getting more time as fully fit is a player who could make all the difference for us this year,tactically fancy we'll be facing a lock down so could be frustrating but our new level of confidence feels like killing the game against us is not really a very good option, we'll carve them open a few times.

The 'Ring of Fire' - a weekly feature on the This Is Anfield forums.

Many thanks to
Scott Jones for taking part this week and for taking the time to answer the questions, thanks mate!
Brilliant, Scott. I've been so looking forward to this one. I went between laughing at your customary wit and tearing up reading about your childhood and moments with your son. You're a good man and I now have a real understanding of your values. One of my Liverpool dreams will always be to sit next to you in the Kop singing Bobby's song.

By the way, I searched S Elmsall and now need a Frickley Athletic shirt.(y)

YNWA, mate, and thanks to @Broomy and you for doing this.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
@Scott Jones
What a riveting read(y):). I really enjoyed it so much, I read it twice in succession. You had me in stitches with laughter at certain bits and pulling at the heart strings the next. You have a heart the size of mars! When you came here, you brought a ray of sunshine with you and when the chips are down, you always make us smile with your famous quips. Never change Jonesy.:love:Thank you so much.

ETA: thanks alot @Broomy for compiling this series.

Last edited:

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Haha, I don’t know where to start. Firstly, a great read, Scotty, you take a reader from the lows to the highs when giving us the lowdown on your life. A White Rose man aligning himself to Burnleh — wow. You’ll be telling us next you like Lancashire hotpot.

I am taking it that you had the figure for wearing a pleated skirt. If you haven’t the figure they just don’t hang right.

You would have God at your table, you say. You know, he’s a Toxteth lad like myself and we Toccy lads are alright. Talking of whom, you say our Mr All Right would be another table guest of yours. Good God, man, are you minted? He lives in Cal-i-forn-ia and it would cost you a bomb to fly him over here. We’ll keep him happy and say that he’s most probably worth it. Anyway, I really enjoyed the read and thank you and @Broomy for bringing us another great read in the Ring of Fire series. Cheers lads.