• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

2019/2020 Fixtures v 2018/2019 Results - Season Comparison

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We didn't concede a goal in the first 3 games, but as the chart shows we did concede goals against the same opposition.

Goals Against so far we have matched last seasons effort if you go fixture to fixture.

Don't get me wrong I'm still dissapointed we have let the goals in but we are not as far off defensively as the hyperbolic media would have us believe.
Yes, I wasn't intending to add to the hyperbole. I just think it is interesting to compare seasons in different ways, as seasons often have distinct phases to them based on things like form and player availability etc. When we played Southampton away last season the circumstances were very different, for example. The stand out feature at the start of last season was our defending, the number of clean sheets we kept and that we often grinded our way to victories without always looking very convincing. This season has a different vibe so far. We are a bit looser but look more dangerous. Ultimately, as long as we win, I don't care.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Didn't know where to post this...

The bloody soundtrack is amazing, one of the many reasons why I am so hung up with old songs of my time. More of the same this season please!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I think we should take it easy.
It's crazy how many points we got last year.
:shocked::shocked::shocked:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think we should take it easy.
It's crazy how many points we got last year.
Hell no.... I am expecting the yellow boxes to turn green and the red to turn yellow this season. Take it easy? No affirmative action to allow us to win here my friend, not allowed to take anything easy.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Hell no.... I am expecting the yellow boxes to turn green and the red to turn yellow this season. Take it easy? No affirmative action to allow us to win here my friend, not allowed to take anything easy.
I meant us fans not players :cheers: lol

Fowler's Left Peg

Yes, I wasn't intending to add to the hyperbole. I just think it is interesting to compare seasons in different ways, as seasons often have distinct phases to them based on things like form and player availability etc. When we played Southampton away last season the circumstances were very different, for example. The stand out feature at the start of last season was our defending, the number of clean sheets we kept and that we often grinded our way to victories without always looking very convincing. This season has a different vibe so far. We are a bit looser but look more dangerous. Ultimately, as long as we win, I don't care.
Yeah I see where you are coming from. Fixture to fixture comparison makes a lot of sense to me, but I also agree form, injuries to players, seasonal weather can all make this comparison uneven.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
We didn't concede a goal in the first 3 games, but as the chart shows we did concede goals against the same opposition.

Goals Against so far we have matched last seasons effort if you go fixture to fixture.

Don't get me wrong I'm still dissapointed we have let the goals in but we are not as far off defensively as the hyperbolic media would have us believe.
Its the chances we are giving up that are the problem. Norwich had a couple really good chances, Southampton also few clear chances to score(ings missed a sitter) and arsenal's pepe also should have buried his chance
We definitely weren't giving chances like that up last season and if we continue to then eventually it will cost

MinniMo

Getting Alisson back will ease the stresses of the back row, we are actually doing OK with a sub goalie, with our best goalie we will grow in confidence again. Relax fans, all will be well (hopefully with NO Int. Break injuries).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Will see how we get on in the next handful of matches without Alisson.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
First time this season we've improved on last season's result/score... first of many hopefully :)

[email protected]

The next 5 fixtures saw us take nine points last season. Given the state of Chelsea and United this year, Newcastle being pants really and Sheffield United just coming up we really should be driving home the advantage. Leicester are pretty decent but at home we should be taking care of them as well. I reckon 13 out of the next 15 points should be the minimum target here.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
A measure of how far we’ve come. No way I’d take a draw against Chelsea or united away. Not that long ago we were fighting to get into top 4 and away draws against these would have been good.

But, right now we need to force them into submission.

Incognito

The Normal One
Has everyone calmed down a bit now regards how dangerous Norwich looked against our defence?
And the pre season we had. It seemed like a crisis to many then, but shows how pre season results has no bearing on how teams start when it matters.

Also our total GA is same for the corresponding games last season, despite not having Alisson. Fabinho integrating has a huge role towards it I think.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Challenging set of fixtures coming up though, in contrast to City. A Chelsea team who gave us a lot of problems in the Super Cup, starting to click and playing with confidence, Sheffield United are very well organised and shouldn't be taken lightly, Rodgers will be determined to make a point with Leicester who are playing fairly well, United at Old Trafford anything could happen, Spurs can always present a strong test and have players who can hurt you, Villa have some talented individuals, and then City.

After that run I think we'll have done exceptionally to come out still leading the title race. This 5 point buffer could be eaten up pretty quickly. I think it's more important than ever that we take more points than City over the two head-to-heads.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Challenging set of fixtures coming up though, in contrast to City. A Chelsea team who gave us a lot of problems in the Super Cup, starting to click and playing with confidence, Sheffield United are very well organised and shouldn't be taken lightly, Rodgers will be determined to make a point with Leicester who are playing fairly well, United at Old Trafford anything could happen, Spurs can always present a strong test and have players who can hurt you, Villa have some talented individuals, and then City.

After that run I think we'll have done exceptionally to come out still leading the title race. This 5 point buffer could be eaten up pretty quickly. I think it's more important than ever that we take more points than City over the two head-to-heads.
We only won 1 of the corresponding 4 fixtures last season, and that fixture, against Sheff Utd rather than a freefalling Fulham, looks tougher in addition.

It's going to be tough going I think, I wouldn't be surprised if points are dropped and would take any kind of win however it comes, I hope people can keep a sense of perspective if that happens.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
14 successive league wins. We have lost only 1 of our last 44 league games. Yet we still have chances to improve on last season's results in 3 of our next 4 matches.

Chelsea will definitely be the hardest game we've had so far. They look good offensively. The pace and movement will cause us a few problems given we are not as compact this season. We will probably score though as they are suspect at the back. One of the features of the season generally so far is that most teams look poorer at the back so we are not alone in regressing slightly. We've ridden our luck on some big chances missed against us but no one else has conceded fewer goals.

Fowler's Left Peg

Norwich beating Man City almost makes this weekend's game feel like a free hit. I was expecting to go into it knowing anything other than a win would surrender top spot.

The result also gives me hope that they are more vulnerable than last season, hopefully teams have watched the result and think we can get at these at the back and get something.

We are not going to improve on last seasons tally, but we have hope that they are going to slip in terms of their return.