• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

2019/2020 Fixtures v 2018/2019 Results - Season Comparison

Arminius

FSG PR plant
City fans are rambling on about the fixture at the Etihad as if it is a given they will take that one for some reason, and it will just be a matter of how ugly they can make it as revenge. I am sure that Klopp is keeping the side's vision firmly on a one week horizon, but probably has a calendar in his desk with April 4 circled in red.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
City fans are rambling on about the fixture at the Etihad as if it is a given they will take that one for some reason, and it will just be a matter of how ugly they can make it as revenge. I am sure that Klopp is keeping the side's vision firmly on a one week horizon, but probably has a calendar in his desk with April 4 circled in red.
I don’t care if they beat us 10 nil, if we’re still nine points ahead of them going into the game.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
We have come close so many times previously. We know slip ups happened even with 3 games to go. We know MCity rallied to win at the final whistle on GD.
We should take it one game at a time. Let's just keep winning and see where we finish at the end of the season. If we keep winning, what others do, won't matter.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We have come close so many times previously. We know slip ups happened even with 3 games to go. We know MCity rallied to win at the final whistle on GD.
We should take it one game at a time. Let's just keep winning and see where we finish at the end of the season. If we keep winning, what others do, won't matter.
Yes, got my hopes up too many times before to be thinking it's over in November. The logical bit of my brain tells me we have to win it if we keep up our form since the start of last season. Just 19 points dropped in 50 games. I'm thinking 10 - 15 points max dropped for the rest of this season and no one is catching us if that happens.

But then we could have a few injuries, some bad luck. Things can change quickly and I don't trust City not to win 18 of their last 19 games like they did last season. If they do we'll need every one of those 9 points we currently have on them to stay ahead.

I think the next period between now and Christmas is crucial. Next 5 games are all very winnable. If we do win them all it's hard to see us not having a double figure lead with just over half the season left. It would be difficult to lose it from that position.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I think the next period between now and Christmas is crucial. Next 5 games are all very winnable. If we do win them all it's hard to see us not having a double figure lead with just over half the season left. It would be difficult to lose it from that position.
Agree absolutely about this next tranche to Christmas. Last season in that January to May run, City just had this relentless feel about them that they were not going to lose, and I think Klopp did very well to ensure the team did not let that get to them. I'd like to see how Guardiola squares up to that problem.

Last edited:

Joe1972

Agree absolutely about this next tranche to Christmas. Last season in that January to May run, City just had this relentless feel about them that they were not going to lose, and I think Klopp did very well to ensure the team did not let that get to them. I'd like to see how Guardiola squares up to that problem.
The big difference for me now is that teams now sense vulnerability in City and not in us, was the other way around last season. They will drop more points.

KillerBeeLFC

TIA Reserve Team
The City side now just isn't the same as previous years. Kompanys a massive miss even off the field by the look of it. You can imagine him being the one to not put up with the shite hes seeing and telling the players. I dont even think its just missing Kompany or the "injury crisis" thats the problem. Teams are having a go at them and I think have learned tactically how to have a chance at getting something from them. I have a strong feeling Chelsea will beat them and could even see them dropping points at Newcastle. Would be fucking hilarious like ha

Nur der BvB09

Some clean Sheets would be a nice welcome for our defense. Up to next match I think we ll get lots of them as long our winning streak doesn’t change. Otherwise who cares of clean sheets 1 point games anymore.

Mascot88

Admin
If we avoid defeat against Brighton we will equal our longest unbeaten run in the top flight, 31 games set by the 87/88 team.
If you want some unpleasant symmetry to that stat, if we equal the record against Brighton, guess who we play next. And then have a look who ended that run in ‘88 :oops:

Thankfully, they were a much better team in the eighties than the shambles they are today.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
If you want some unpleasant symmetry to that stat, if we equal the record against Brighton, guess who we play next. And then have a look who ended that run in ‘88 :oops:

Thankfully, they were a much better team in the eighties than the shambles they are today.
I think there's a chance Everton alehouse us into a draw, but can't even envisage a defeat there, particularly at home. I'm anticipating a fairly one-sided win, though, 3-0 or 4-0.

Fowler's Left Peg

So for no reason whatsoever I have drawn up this.

It's the points race, basically shows the maximum points our rivals can get and then us next to it on our actual points.

Thought it might be interesting to see it progress week by week, but then i'm not sure if what I find interesting is the same as everyone else ha ha.

Anyway give it a like if you want my to include it with the other table after each game, or completely ignore this post if like me you think I maybe becoming a little bit too obsessed for my own good. Then I can stick it in the scrap pile next to the Man City season comparison table.

Mascot88

Admin

It's the points race, basically shows the maximum points our rivals can get and then us next to it on our actual points.

Thought it might be interesting to see it progress week by week, but then i'm not sure if what I find interesting is the same as everyone else ha ha.

Anyway give it a like if you want my to include it with the other table after each game, or completely ignore this post if like me you think I maybe becoming a little bit too obsessed for my own good. Then I can stick it in the scrap pile next to the Man City season comparison table.

Like it. Maybe a column on our potential points as well?

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member

You missed out Man U.

rockafella

Registered before you did
Maths.

Man City have dropped as many points in these first 15 games as they did in the first 19 last season. So if they win their next four, then they'll be in the same position at the half way mark as they were last season. They've also got some tough games in those four - away to Arsenal and Wolves, home to Leicester, potential for them to draw one of those, especially as they've only strung three wins together once this season, and that's with playing easier fixtures.

They had an almost unbelievably W18 L1 record in the second half of last season. Seems highly unlikely they'll be able to do that again. Even a W16 D2 would be more dropped points. They have to travel to Leicester, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, and Sheffield United in the second half of the season, plus play us again.

So by the looks of the above, it's almost certain they won't hit 98 points again. They'd reach 101 winning all remaining 23. If we work on the basis they're going to get 95 (still difficult, only allows them to drop six points - three draws or two defeats in 23), then that'd mean we're able to drop 16 points in our remaining 24 to still reach 96. So W17 D5 L2 would still be enough.

Maths.

Fowler's Left Peg

Maths.

Man City have dropped as many points in these first 15 games as they did in the first 19 last season. So if they win their next four, then they'll be in the same position at the half way mark as they were last season. They've also got some tough games in those four - away to Arsenal and Wolves, home to Leicester, potential for them to draw one of those, especially as they've only strung three wins together once this season, and that's with playing easier fixtures.

They had an almost unbelievably W18 L1 record in the second half of last season. Seems highly unlikely they'll be able to do that again. Even a W16 D2 would be more dropped points. They have to travel to Leicester, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, and Sheffield United in the second half of the season, plus play us again.

So by the looks of the above, it's almost certain they won't hit 98 points again. They'd reach 101 winning all remaining 23. If we work on the basis they're going to get 95 (still difficult, only allows them to drop six points - three draws or two defeats in 23), then that'd mean we're able to drop 16 points in our remaining 24 to still reach 96. So W17 D5 L2 would still be enough.

Maths.
I was saying the same sort of things in last seasons thread about City dropping points and not hitting the same heights as previous season. Then they just went and won almost every game. Not worth counting on anything at the minute for me still. I would expect they will drop more points, but I’m firmly of the opinion they could literally win every game between now and the end

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself
I was saying the same sort of things in last seasons thread about City dropping points and not hitting the same heights as previous season. Then they just went and won almost every game. Not worth counting on anything at the minute for me still. I would expect they will drop more points, but I’m firmly of the opinion they could literally win every game between now and the end
Get the table updated, la