• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

#21: The Ring of Fire with NZred

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
The Ring of Fire with NZred

The Ring of Fire returns this week and to look back at the weekend's action, the Ring of Fire travels over to New Zealand for the first time this week as thrown into the 'Ring of Fire' is TIA Forum Member NZred

Your TIA Username: NZred

You and Liverpool FC
Favourite Current LFC Player :
Firmino
Favourite all-time LFC Player : John "Digger" Barnes
Favourite all time Reds match : Liverpool 3 Everton 2 (April 17, 2001)
Funniest moment following the Reds : Not something I experienced myself, my Granddad tells a story of a last minute winner during the 80s where he jumped up and was so excited he punched a hole in the ceiling.

And the rest:
Favourite non-LFC Player : Theirry Henry
Favourite other clubs (if any) : Dortmund
Other sports/hobbies/past times : I watch any and every sport, love the NBA. Big Rugby fan, cricket, poker. You name it I watch it. I'm a massive home theater buff and am currently building my own dedicated home cinema.
Non-footballing heroes : My parents top this list for me, I'm the oldest of three boys, we all played sport but me more so than the others. I was a decent enough footballer in my teens to make a number of rep teams, it meant Football from February to November and then cricket over the summer. Without fail, my parents were at every football match, they traveled to every tournament and dropped me off and picked me up from every practice.​

NZred, I can't start this interview without asking you about your grandad Ken Berry...

My Grandfather is a nostalgic old sod. Forever telling stories about liverpool, trips and holidays etc. He was a stupidly handsome fellow, movie star looks and had quite the reputation growing up in Liverpool. There wasn't the same money in sports back then as there was now, he got offered a professional contract by the club the money was pittance compared to what an engineering career offered him, so he declined and moved to Scotland.

He continued to play there and just happened to be approached by Shankly to sign for him before he took the job at Liverpool. My Granddad declined as he had accepted a job on a ship at this stage, you can still see the regret in his eyes even to this day. He knows he should have said yes and he forever lives in regret that he didn't. Years later on a trip back to Liverpool from NZ he was at Anfield and just happened to bump in to Shankly, true to form Shankly remembered exactly who he was and told him he regretted not trying harder to sign him and bring him to Liverpool. Worst words my Granddad could have heard to be honest, it cemented the regret he had before and still has now.

He follows the club and results still now, we talk and catch-up regularly about them after my Grandparents followed us to Christchurch.

Your grandfather probably had a big influence on you supporting Liverpool then when you were a kid?

Supporting Liverpool was an easy choice (not that it really was one), my Grandfather was born and raised in Liverpool, he was signed to the club as a trainee and played some games for the reserves, he was offered a professional contract but instead chose to follow his education which provided more money. I grew up listening to his stories of standing in the Kop, the intense training they had for fitness even back then and his many stories of Paisley and Shanks.

Who were your early heroes?

Early sporting hero for Liverpool was Michael Owen, I was 14 when he broke onto the world stage in 97/98, he was living the dream of every childhood fan.

In life, my folks are my hero's (cliche as that may sound, it's true). I started playing Football at age 5, by age 10 I was fairly good, played for a number of rep sides and under-age teams, even made a few national center training camps, injury put-paid to any chance of going anywhere unfortunately. Despite all the sport, my folks were at EVERYTHING. Every match, every local and national tournament, they were there (as was my grandfather), not an easy thing to do with two other brothers that also had their own sports. It meant a lot back then that my parents were always there supporting me, never pressuring me.

Tell us a little bit about where you live and what's it like to support Liverpool in New Zealand?

I was born in Wellington but moved to Christchurch in 2013 with my wife who is from here.

The Liverpool community is surprisingly large, reps at work are Liverpool supporters, couple of people at my gym are always wearing Liverpool gear. Even one of the teams at our quiz night are full of Liverpool supporters. We have a sizable Facebook supporters group that get together for most games, either for a late dinner or early breakfast depending on the time. It's not an easy thing supporting Liverpool from the arse end of the world, time differences are a killer, I've been getting up at god-awful-o'clock since I was 13, now being 34 I am fairly used to it.

Haha, sorry NZred but i have to ask... For anyone who doesnt know, is it true you did a bit of modelling when you were younger?!

I did a bit of modeling in my younger years, my agency tried to get me into film and TV too, they asked me to audition for Sir Peter Jacksons King Kong remake, I would have been up for the part that went to Jamie Bell. I declined the audition, I can't act worth a dam, would have been a waste of everyone's time lol

You have been a member of the TIA forums for over 12 years now...

The thing that keeps me coming back is that the forum doesn't change, aside from UI upgrades, at its core it's still the same great place where you can voice your opinion and not get downvoted into oblivion purely because it differs (reddit cough cough). My fondest memory was the Torres transfer, was an amazing 24 hours that was. Sitting there hitting refresh well into the wee hours of the morning and then the share amazement at actually pulling it off.

A lot of those original members are still floating around now and then, @lfc.eddie and his pessimism are always a joy to read, @Maria and her far too level headed posts always keep the threads from blowing out into anarchy lol.

Still the best place for Liverpool discussion, to me, it's a world wide family. As soon as someone knows you're a fellow fan you have a connection. It's an incredible club in that regards with amazing fans. That's only enhanced on these forums.

How did you assess our 1-0 victory over Sheffield United yesterday and what did you learn from the match?

Was an odd game, we felt a little off our stride, and possession aside if you look at the stats it tells the story of an even game. However watching it live it felt like anything but, Mane hit the post, Salah missed a glorious one on one, we should have had a penalty, we really should have won with 3 or 4 goals.

United played well though, they set up defensively solid and stifled any play through the middle, it seemed to disrupt our passing. Salah struggled to get in to the game, Mane wasn't at his best and Henderson wasn't able to get involved, TAA was unusually poor with his passing. End of the day though, three points and a lead over City that will be invaluable come later in the season.

From training alone in the sixth tier of Spanish football just a few weeks ago to glory with the European champions, it has been quite a turnaround for Liverpool's new goalkeeper Adrian. What have you made of Adrian's start to his Liverpool career?

Been an absolutely mental few months for him hasn't it. I think the biggest compliment you can pay him is that one error aside, fans aren't sitting there thinking "Can't wait for Ali to be back". I don't think we've missed him to be honest, that's not to say he won't be welcome back with open arms, the guy is the best keeper in the world, but Adrian has been fantastic. Would be an unforgettable year for him if we manage to hold off City for the title.

Liverpool play Salzburg next on Wednesday evening. How would you like Klopp to set up his team in terms of team selection and tactics?

Can see him sending out a strong team and hoping to put the game to bed early in the hope of pulling a few players off. Would like to see Ox given the start and Naby too, both in need of minutes and this could be a good opportunity to give them a full 80-85 minutes. You can see Ox isn't far off that form he showed before his horrific injury and I love watching the little intricacies of his game, get the ball and move it on quickly. Take two touches instead or three, you can see a little bit of Wengers coaching in that, but his touch seems a little wayward, which is expected after 18 months out.

I can possibly see Lovren getting some minutes alongside VVD, we aren't overly staked at CB so I don't think Klopp will want to burn them out this early in the season. If Fit would be great to see Shaqiri given a full game too.

Finally NZred, Looking at all the teams in the Premier League teams, which three players are standing out as nominations for the PFA Player of the year at this early stage...

Looks like it'll again be between the same trio as last season, VVD, KDB and Sterling. All three have started the season the same way they finished last season. KDB especially looks like he's gone up another level, he's a special player and much like someone of the caliber of Henry I think a lot of neutral fans will look back in the years ahead and think "I'm glad I got to watch him play in the Premier League". No one else is really standing out at this stage for mine.

The 'Ring of Fire' - a weekly feature on the This Is Anfield forums.

Many thanks to NZred for taking part this week and for taking the time to answer the questions, thanks mate!

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Cheers to @NZred and @Broomy for another brill Ring of Fire. I'm really amazed at the enthusiasm you guys have in following our great club over there in the antipopes, or should that read "arse end of the world"? It's also refreshing to know there are so many loyal followers who watch matches at ungodly hours and are proud to wear the shirt.

It was interesting to learn of your grandfather and his time at our club. That he turned down a chance to play for us is hard for me to understand — I'd have given my right leg (haha) for a chance to sign for Shanks and the club. I'm thinking your grandfather's parents would most probably have had a big say in the choices he made. I can just hear them bending his ear and telling him to get a proper job with proper money. Can you imagine if he would have made it at LFC, you would have had a star, a legend in your family. Anyway, he may regret the decision, or maybe he doesn't, but he still made a good life for himself and, most of all, he's an LFC supporter — what could be better than that?

In finishing, I hope you and all the Reds family over there in the arse end of the world get to celebrate with us 'homies' the winning of yet more silverware.

Cheers lads !

NZred

The Red From NZ
Cheers to @NZred and @Broomy for another brill Ring of Fire. I'm really amazed at the enthusiasm you guys have in following our great club over there in the antipopes, or should that read "arse end of the world"? It's also refreshing to know there are so many loyal followers who watch matches at ungodly hours and are proud to wear the shirt.

It was interesting to learn of your grandfather and his time at our club. That he turned down a chance to play for us is hard for me to understand — I'd have given my right leg (haha) for a chance to sign for Shanks and the club. I'm thinking your grandfather's parents would most probably have had a big say in the choices he made. I can just hear them bending his ear and telling him to get a proper job with proper money. Can you imagine if he would have made it at LFC, you would have had a star, a legend in your family. Anyway, he may regret the decision, or maybe he doesn't, but he still made a good life for himself and, most of all, he's an LFC supporter — what could be better than that?

In finishing, I hope you and all the Reds family over there in the arse end of the world get to celebrate with us 'homies' the winning of yet more silverware.

Cheers lads !
His Dad was a huge Liverpool supporter as well, Granddad got offered a professional contract by Everton and his father said "if you sign that you're out of the family". He promptly declined it.

There was just no money in Football in those days, whereas a mechanical engineer was a big opportunity and quite illustrious too, especially for a teenager. I actually wrote an interview piece and posted it on the forums I believe last year, it's floating around somewhere. Goes into a little more detail.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
His Dad was a huge Liverpool supporter as well, Granddad got offered a professional contract by Everton and his father said "if you sign that you're out of the family". He promptly declined it.

There was just no money in Football in those days, whereas a mechanical engineer was a big opportunity and quite illustrious too, especially for a teenager. I actually wrote an interview piece and posted it on the forums I believe last year, it's floating around somewhere. Goes into a little more detail.
Yeah, I understand, but as a teenager I wouldn’t have just given my right leg, but I would have given both and crawl about on my ass to have played for our great club. It’s true what you say, to live and survive in our capitalist world you always need money. If your grandfather was playing today and asked to sign for LFC he would most probably rip Jürgen’s arm off. How times change. It was good reading of you and your families exploits both here and over in Kiwiland. Cheers mate!

NZred

The Red From NZ
Yeah, I understand, but as a teenager I wouldn’t have just given my right leg, but I would have given both and crawl about on my ass to have played for our great club. It’s true what you say, to live and survive in our capitalist world you always need money. If your grandfather was playing today and asked to sign for LFC he would most probably rip Jürgen’s arm off. How times change. It was good reading of you and your families exploits both here and over in Kiwiland. Cheers mate!
One thing to also note is that the club wasn't back then what it is now. It wasn't prestige, it wasn't a glamour club. Granddad did make note that the club was in complete disrepair during that time, the training grounds were a disgrace, the rooms a mess etc. It wasn't as eye catching an opportunity as what it became under Shanks. Of course, given he was merely a teenager, had he signed he likely would have been around for those fantastic years under Shankly. Hindsight aye, wonderful thing.