• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

#9: The Ring of Fire with Denzil

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
The Ring of Fire with Denzil

With only two-and-a-half weeks to go until Liverpool are back in action, to discuss all things happening this week, we travel over to Southampton as thrown into the 'Ring of Fire' this week is TIA Forum Member @Denzil

Your TIA Username:
@Denzil

You and Liverpool FC
Favourite Current LFC Player :
Virgil Van Dijk
Favourite all-time LFC Player : John Barnes
Favourite all time Reds match : Liverpool v Newcastle, the 4-3 on 3rd April 1996
Funniest moment following the Reds : Madrid away in 2014, the morning after the game me and my mate wandered down to breakfast, he doesn't normally drink so had a bit of a sore head after the previous nights festivities, so he grabs his coffee & knocks that back, then proceeds to the buffet coming back with a plateful he went to sit down only for the legs under the chair to give way and a full plate of food sail up in the air coming down all over him, literally egg on his face he just rolled about laughing which set everyone off

And the rest:
Favourite non-LFC Player :
Ronaldo
Favourite other clubs (if any) : A soft spot for Swansea City
Other sports/hobbies/past times : Rugby, travelling, relaxing by the sea and soon to become a dad for the 1st time.
Non-footballing heroes : Arnold Schwarzenegger & Warren Buffet

Denzil, you have been a member of the ThisIsAnfield forums for over 16 years where there have been many highs and lows down through the years... What's your earliest memories of the TIA forums over the years and what have been your best memories on the forums?

Wow I didn’t realise it was that long, the site has come on leaps and bounds since it first started. I was a moderator for a while and started the Ticket Spares and Exchange thread in 2012 which is still going strong, it's good to see members sharing tickets and sorting fellow reds.

Growing up in Southampton, how did you come to support Liverpool?

Well, I actually grew up in Swansea, hence my soft spot, until I was 8 and then moved. It was during the early 80’s before I moved that the love affair started, Swansea and Liverpool had shared a few players and managers so the connection was there. Growing up with older lads we all wanted to be Ian Rush in the kick about, that’s where it all began.

Early heroes were Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush & Jon Barnes. The schoolground was always Ian Rush, the Welsh connection held firm and I scored many a goal celebrating like Rushie.

The 2018/19 season will probably be spoken about for generations to come, what are your thoughts on the season as a whole?

It’s been stunning. To go from a team that had some inconsistent success over the past 10 years to a team that now consistently looks like it will be in contention over the next few seasons is exciting, and to bring old big ears back for number 6 topped it off, a season with no trophy would have been hard to stomach after how well we had played.

A young group of hungry players who look like they would run through brick walls for each other, and a manager who has learnt the premier league quickly, is going to make it a fantastic few seasons to come.

Dejan Lovren has featured heavily in the rumour mill this week, despite his age, and despite his injury record, should Liverpool resist all bids even if they hit the defender's £25m valuation?

I would resist yes. To have a player with that experience available when needed is tough to replace. Lets not forget that in the last 3 years he has had quite a bit to deal with, he has shown real strength of character to deal with all that, and if he can put the injury behind him he puts real pressure on the other defenders to maintain a high level of performance, and that for me shows a character that builds championship winning side, I don’t see many other defenders able to put pressure on the starting players for that sort of price tag.

Pre-season is just around the corner with a number of players returning on loan, new faces and young players all on trial under the watchful eye of Jurgen Klopp.... Liverpool once again face a disruptive pre-season with players returning late following the Copa America and African Cup of Nations... Who are you most looking forward to seeing in action this pre-season?

For me it’s Harry Wilson. He came through a real test with Derby last season and was one if not thee stand out player for them. Given a chance in the team he could be a real bonus for us.

Andy Robertson was sensational for Liverpool in the 2018/19 season but the left-back still has a desire to improve on his performances. How have you assessed Andy Robertson season and how does he compare to left backs of the past at Liverpool?

I’m a UEFA B licence coach and sometimes I find it tough to just enjoy games without analysing them, but a few beers helps! so to see how well Robo has done and hear that he feels he can improve is great news. For me he could become one of the most complete fullbacks we have ever had. The assist tally along with the defensive record and desire to defend make him as complete as I have seen, if he helps us go onto win trophies then for sure he can seal his place as one of our most elite full backs.

Liverpool have never been better placed to end a 30-year wait for a league title this coming season. The iron is hot and it's time to strike. If Jurgen Klopp only signed one player this summer who would you want it to be and why?

I would go for Isco. We have missed a Coutinho type player that can just unlock a tight game and do something unexpected and for me he would fit the bill.

Liverpool have reached the FA Cup Final... You have just been handed 3 tickets for the final, (one for yourself and two other tickets for two other forum members) Which 2 forum members would you choose to go for with you and why?!

- @Chung : one of the oldest members I know on here and he’s all the way in Australia atm so would be good to see him
- @Dane : he sorted me out in 2014 (the Madrid trip in the other story funny enough) and I repaid the favour this season so would be good to catch up for a few beers.

Finally Denzil, in previous Ring of Fire Series, Mascot88 and roydom both picked Diego Maradona as their favourite non-Liverpool player, you met Maradona before, tell us more...

A mate and I were cycling round Cuba and within an hour of arriving at the hotel on our first day I noticed a fella at the side of the pool with a tattoo I recognised, after looking closer we saw it was Diego, so I swiftly dried and put on my Liverpool shirt before heading over for a picture and to meet him. He was very willing to have pictures and chat a little once he saw the LFC shirt!

The 'Ring of Fire' - a weekly feature on the This Is Anfield forums.

Many thanks to @Denzil for taking part this week and for taking the time to answer the questions, thanks mate!

Last edited:

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
Previous Ring of Fire Interviews
May 15, 2019 : #1: Sweeting
May 21, 2019 : #2: Mascot88
May 28, 2019 : #3: Iluvatar
June 03, 2019 : #4: Macolfc
June 04, 2019 : #5: Jaytinho
June 10, 2019 : #6: Zoran
June 13, 2019 : #7: Broomy
June 18, 2019 : #8: roydom

It took him a while to answer the questions but we got there in the end!! Cheers to Denzil for taking part in this weeks interview, thanks again mate!

This week's question for all forum members :

With the usual array of players looking to shine following injury and starlets wanting to force their way into the first team picture, it’s set to be a busy pre-season at Melwood, however, Liverpool once again face a disruptive pre-season with players returning late following the Copa America and African Cup of Nations...

Who are you most looking forward to seeing in action this pre-season?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Previous Ring of Fire Interviews
May 15, 2019 : #1: Sweeting
May 21, 2019 : #2: Mascot88
May 28, 2019 : #3: Iluvatar
June 03, 2019 : #4: Macolfc
June 04, 2019 : #5: Jaytinho
June 10, 2019 : #6: Zoran
June 13, 2019 : #7: Broomy
June 18, 2019 : #8: roydom

It took him a while to answer the questions but we got there in the end!! Cheers to Denzil for taking part in this weeks interview, thanks again mate!

This week's question for all forum members :

With the usual array of players looking to shine following injury and starlets wanting to force their way into the first team picture, it’s set to be a busy pre-season at Melwood, however, Liverpool once again face a disruptive pre-season with players returning late following the Copa America and African Cup of Nations...

Who are you most looking forward to seeing in action this pre-season?
Have to name a few

Milner - wonder if he will have the best lactate results once again.

Adam Lewis - his performances might save us a signing

Ki-Jana Hoever - because he is the future

Ox - because it will be his first complete pre season as a red

Show me the Mane

Ki-Jana Hoever is a good shout
hopefully we can have a deep run in the domestic cups next season so we can see a bit more of him. Seems a confident lad
I was of the opinion domestic cups are a hindrance to league/CL progression but I think we have a good set of squad players now to deal with the extra games

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Ad-free Member
Yes mate, not sure how to upload pics on here though
Now thats a photo i wanted to see aswel lol I use to able to upload photos on photobucket, not sure if that still works... Anyone able to help Denzil upload the photo in here?