A trip down Memory Lane.....

SGM

TIA Legend
In 2006 this was me when I found TIA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9uVquExMi4#t=0m48s

I had no idea what the hell I was doing. I was following Liverpool from afar and was the only LFC supporter I knew. I was bored at work (a lazy office job) and just started searching for LFC sites trying to get some transfer gossip. I didn't really know what a forum was or how expansive they were. Then I stumbled in here and the clip above ensued. My first username was "StevieG_M*******" (Won't post my last name just in case, even though a lot of people on here know it).

Anyways it was a truly life changing event and I sincerely thank Matt and Max. Matt and I have tried to meet up when he came and visited Vegas but unfortunately it didn't materialize. Hopefully it will soon. I would love to have a get together with someone one of these days, when I get some money maybe I will help plan it!

Funny to think about all of the names, I won't try because I will forget some. With the way Shervin just disappeared I was actually worried, and frankly still am about him. I miss Chronic, and find it funny that redbj only started using capital letters because he got a shiny new iPad that does it for him lol. I still reference stories and things people talk about on here in my everyday life, like Sweetings story of going to Ghana and setting up a mini LFC down there. Just the overall world view from everybody has really expanded my horizons.

Also Maria, not to take away from your brilliant post but Electricwitch is the tennis fan, bkwitche was the yank that left a few years ago because he became a cop in the States, hope he is doing well. We attached to each other because we joined within days of each other and pops in maybe once a year promising that he will visit more but never does!

Maria

Lovely [email protected] SGM, aah yes, my bad, it was electricwitch, I always got confused between the two as they had similar user names but I knew one of them resided in the States or may be electricwitch as well.

I can't even remember how I stumbled across this site. It kind of struck a chord with me and I ended up visiting it more and more. This is the only football site I visit regularly to the exasperation of my family, as I can access it by mobile phone now and they are talking about some family issue or something and I am reading in the Albert or Pitchside section and not paying attention.

I hope we all have a meet up one day too. You are more than welcome down to London my friend. You never know, the TIA may do a convention in Las Vegas. I quite liked Las Vegas when I went years ago and I met Mr T there. :-)

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
I remember my interest in forums was sparked in late 2010, the true dark ages of being an LFC fan. I was in my final year of high school, and I was getting roasted alive every day by my mates over how badly LFC was doing. Was feeling actually pretty bad about the whole situation, and didn't really have any fellow fans in my city that I knew that really loved it the way I did. I joined a forum about Christmas 2010 and it was negative as fuck, and the only thing I remember from it was choosing Kenny in a pole of who I would like to have replace Woy. Indeed, he came back to turn the ship around only days later. Not sure what happened to that forum, but I'm fairly sure it simply disappeared off the internet.

The rest of that season was largely positive, and after a big win, I think it might have been the 5-0against Birmingham at home, I decided to create an account here.

My name was a moniker after an Australian Army unit motto. Iwas going through a military phase at the time, and still am.

My posts back then were probably a bit crap. I was only 17 in April 2011, and looking back I think I can observe my maturing as a grow older through my writing. Even from the stuff of mine in September 2012 when the records reset, I can see how I've grown up. I posted a lot more back when I started, not high quality stuff, but meh.

I've never really gone in for the American style of deep statistical analysis, in fact I usually scroll pretty quickly past most of that stuff. I do skim read a lot. Out of all the posters I love to read the most, ubermick takes the cake, easily. Every time I see the little yellow face off to the left, I get a tiny bit excited.

This place feels a lot like that bar in the TV show Cheers. I love how I can come in and posts whatever I want, whenever I want, and not feel like I'm going to get shouted at. I hope that being here for a fairly decent amount of time has earnt me that respect.

It's home, really. Hope that doesn't sound sad at all. It's the only place I go for all my football information, apart from ESPN soccernet. I think it really must be one of the best, if the THE best, fan football forums around. It's got a fantastic balance, and I think that an opposition fan could read the content posted here and be pleased, not annoyed, at what's being said.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Lovely topic this.

I joined this place in September 2011. I had a very good EPL and LFC group on Facebook (which was originally started on Orkut and was moved to Facebook when Facebook became an IT thing). I had to leave Facebook because of an ex back then and I terribly missed online footie discussions. I didn't wanna join RAWK and Google threw this place as an alternative. I joined and its been a lovely experience ever since.

It took me a lot of time to get posting and it might sound funny, but I never bothered to venture in the Away section - for a good 3-4 months at first. I don't know why? But once I got in there, I think I have posted more there than the other sections.
I haven't had any problems on this forum as I have largely behaved. Don't have any issues with anyone, though Macedonian Red did really get on my nerves, but I don't believe in using the ignore option for anyone.

Like others I would also say the Bird and Boobs thread was the best. I wonder what happened to the lad with the Transformer's Display Pic, who only posted in that thread? I also do enjoy the quiz thread and its nice, that there are lads like cardiffpete, Kopstar, OYB, Sklifestyle and Red to the Bone who keep it active.

I hope to continue enjoying this place.

PS: I wont be surprised if people find my obsession with Sherilyn Fenn weird.

OhYaBeauty

WrinkledMind said:
I also do enjoy the quiz thread and its nice, that there are lads like cardiffpete, Kopstar, OYB, Sklifestyle and Red to the Bone who keep it active.
You're the star of the quiz thread. I can come up with an obscure question every once in a while, but for the most part I just try to complete other questions. Plus your fill-in-the-letter quizzes are just absolutely epic. I love how some people fill in a bit and it becomes a team effort.

RMP

TIA First Team
I remember joining this forum at eleven. I had a scout Tranmere Rovers scout come look at my team and then I came on here to ask who Tranmere Rovers were and got berated by redbj and some of the senior members.

I can't believe I'm here for almost a decade

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Did I really?

What a cunt. Sorry .

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Much praise should go to the moderators and admins over the years, not just the current crop but all those who have helped at different times, they do a thankless task in here. I've always told the mods and admins that they should remember that they are a member primarily, and not let the admin/mod role detract from enjoying the forums as a member. I attempt to do the same myself.

It's not always been easy running the forums, we've had the great crash and numerous difficult decisions over bans or disagreements but we always do the best we can given the circumstances.

Anyway, thanks to all who enjoy the forums, invite your friends.

Celtic Dragon

TIA's Tusken Druid
Indeed. I really enjoyed my time as an admin/mod, and hope I was fair to most people, if not all. I certainly tried to be! Would love to step back into it now I'm back - come on folks, petition Matt for me lol

But seriously, Matt's right. It can be a thankless task, but as a simple member, or as an admin, I've loved my 7 years here, and have made some great friends. Some still here, some not. Here's to many more years.

Maria

DeathOrGlory said:
I remember my interest in forums was sparked in late 2010, the true dark ages of being an LFC fan. I was in my final year of high school, and I was getting roasted alive every day by my mates over how badly LFC was doing. Was feeling actually pretty bad about the whole situation, and didn't really have any fellow fans in my city that I knew that really loved it the way I did. I joined a forum about Christmas 2010 and it was negative as fuck, and the only thing I remember from it was choosing Kenny in a pole of who I would like to have replace Woy. Indeed, he came back to turn the ship around only days later. Not sure what happened to that forum, but I'm fairly sure it simply disappeared off the internet.

The rest of that season was largely positive, and after a big win, I think it might have been the 5-0against Birmingham at home, I decided to create an account here.

My name was a moniker after an Australian Army unit motto. Iwas going through a military phase at the time, and still am.

My posts back then were probably a bit crap. I was only 17 in April 2011, and looking back I think I can observe my maturing as a grow older through my writing. Even from the stuff of mine in September 2012 when the records reset, I can see how I've grown up. I posted a lot more back when I started, not high quality stuff, but meh.

I've never really gone in for the American style of deep statistical analysis, in fact I usually scroll pretty quickly past most of that stuff. I do skim read a lot. Out of all the posters I love to read the most, ubermick takes the cake, easily. Every time I see the little yellow face off to the left, I get a tiny bit excited.

This place feels a lot like that bar in the TV show Cheers. I love how I can come in and posts whatever I want, whenever I want, and not feel like I'm going to get shouted at. I hope that being here for a fairly decent amount of time has earnt me that respect.

It's home, really. Hope that doesn't sound sad at all. It's the only place I go for all my football information, apart from ESPN soccernet. I think it really must be one of the best, if the THE best, fan football forums around. It's got a fantastic balance, and I think that an opposition fan could read the content posted here and be pleased, not annoyed, at what's being said.
That is such a lovely analogy. I kind of think this as my local cyber pub too and we all come and have our regular dose/pint of LFC news and football. We even have the odd pub quiz, and we can venture into music or tv room and of course the banter is second to none. We also have the odd tipsy person saying something out of sync until the bar guys calm the situation down or they bar the drunk WUM. The humour in here is just sooo good. If you have had a bad day at work, half an hour on the TIA and you are uplifted.

We have always been quite open to opposition fans which makes this place a friendly place compared to other football sites, I quite like Delusional Geordie and Chelsea lad. I hope I can stay here until my memory fades.

#Dragonshadow for Mod campaign starts now !

Lucas

What a great thread, it's fantastic to read everyone's history here!

I joined under a different account back around 2010/2011, so not a great time for LFC, but certainly a time when you could talk for hours about the state of the club and direction it was or wasn't heading. Anyway, I posted every now and then, took a passive interest and visited the forums mainly for the transfer threads (God damn bless damn bless the Twitter thread!). However, after the crash a couple of years ago I decide to start over with a new account and take an active interest in the forums, and started to post more regularly (and before you rumble me, no I am not the latest incarnation of HowlingFanTodd!). I absolutely love it here, and feel I have connected and made friendships with members here - or at least as far as you can on the internet - and don't think twice about logging on here and chatting. It's also great to be able to have good chats and lend/receive advice for things outside football here, and I've sent/received numerous PMs chatting about anything from music to general life.

It is such a credit to Max and Matt that it is such a friendly place, which, thankfully, doesn't tolerate much bullshit from idiots. It feels like a true cut above other LFC forums with its level-headedness, humour and friendliness. I genuinely don't think you'd get such a great mix on any other Liverpool forum. Again, huge thanks to the Moderators, both past and present. Like some have mentioned, it doesn't feel like they are mods at all until they have to hand out warnings etc. They post regularly, take part in discussion, enjoy a good laugh and get along with everyone. There is a definite feel of member first, moderator second.

I hope that I contribute good material to these forums, and always try to post quality over quantity when I'm on here. Here's to many more years at This Is Anfield!

Keep up the good work!

Magic Feet

This thread actually makes me sad in a way. Tia has been a part of my life since 2006/7 something like that. This is actually my fourth alias. (Leoo, walk on!, gervinho's forehead) I remember the hullabaloo about Torres signing, the annual wankfest threads (simao, mata, silva, aguero). What I love about it is that I see it as a microcosm of the fan base. We've got people on here from everywhere in the world and it's amazing that we can all discuss our love for the club in one place. It's amazing watching the forums blossoming again with the recent success of the team. We lost a lot of great posters over the last few barren years through infighting and lost heads. We had SMTM, our resident business expert, explaining and forecasting everything to do with the cowboy ownership and our club management. We've had mac red, dagger and many other resident scouts. Who could ever forget the original Lucas fanboy, grk stav? Not to mention the annual surprise that Graham's still running the monchengladbach visits. So many faces have been and gone but the one thing that remains is reasoned (mostly) debate backed by undeniable passion. I'm 23 now and I feel like I have got to thank Matt, max and everyone who posts, reads or supports the site in any way. I have always loved the football club but it is here, on Tia, that the love has been explored, cultivated and enriched. A special mention to broomy as well who always seems to have had an eye for the emotionally poignant threads. Top class work everyone, keep it up! Almost forgot, get the kettle back.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Magic Feet said:
Almost forgot, get the kettle back.
Kettle is long gone, he feels more at home in the twitter-ville these days.... sell-out!!

Magic Feet

Yeah I know. It's a damn shame. It probably suits him better to be fair, always had a talent for one liners. I just miss the way he'd swoop in and destroy wums in a couple of sentences..

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Out of all the posters I love to read the most, ubermick takes the cake, easily. Every time I see the little yellow face off to the left, I get a tiny bit excited.
There's a Jeremy Clarkson-style joke in there that I could rattle off, but I'll abstain.

...the Reservoir Dogs photo (the one with the guys dressed in suits) and super-imposed the faces of the LFC creditors faces on. Does anyone remember that one?
Like some of DK's, it still lives. Think I banged this out because SMTM kept asking me to do it via PM, and decided it was easier to give in than keep getting the messages....

Just saw this thread after getting pointed here from the 5k post club. And now getting all nostalgic.

*blows nose and destroys hankie*

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
Blimey... checked my profile and apparently I joined in 2009... I still think of myself as a newbie really! It's by far the best of the big supporter sites, so well done to everyone involved in the running and maintenance of it. I don't think I could stand posting on RAWK... I have a feeling I'd go mad and be banned on the same afternoon.

Maria

There's a Jeremy Clarkson-style joke in there that I could rattle off, but I'll abstain.

Like some of DK's, it still lives. Think I banged this out because SMTM kept asking me to do it via PM, and decided it was easier to give in than keep getting the messages....

Just saw this thread after getting pointed here from the 5k post club. And now getting all nostalgic.

*blows nose and destroys hankie*
Yes, yes, that is the one Ubermick, I loved that one. It was during that takeover crisis. It was very clever indeed and very 'cool'.

....Psst, Ubermick, there is no shame in letting it all out and using a box of kleenex, you guys will always be blokes!

ubermick

Admin
I.. I.. I have no idea what you're on about. *scratches self* Get in the kitchen and get me a beer*!

Think one of my favourite... well, favourite's a stretch, but probably memorable moments on here would be when someone referred to David N'Gog as "Eggnog" and Budski - a poster who's love of a certain Brazilian made zag look positively sane - completely and UTTERLY lost the plot, and went on an expletive-packed tirade accusing them of racism, and the rest of us for condoning it. I almost forgot to ban him, was just so hypnotized by it.

*so you don't see me cry... waaah!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Tracking the Observer back when I was in the mod squad was fun.... bloody hell, if that fella put that sort of effort to sell insurance, I think he be a multimillionaire by now. Talk about being persistent and thick skin...

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Excellent post. Great memories. I joined 5 mths after it started. Remember a small group of posters before it took of. Loved gbhs rumours. He eventually got his own thread... i remember banning people. Tracing their IP number and finding there house on google world !!!! One guy came back 5 times and i discovered him!
I remember even running a TIA radio! It was send online from germany to mullafunkers server in Oz,then back to england ! I even made jingles and had a news part !!!
I also started a "bar" thread. And recorded an istanbul song !

ubermick

Admin
Page one of this thread also reminded me of what is quite possibly my favourite post on here - amidst the Rafa debate, there were a few who sensibly and calmly defended their opinion on why Rafa, great man that he is, may have run his course at Anfield. One of whom was Dublin Kopite. During said debates, Observer (I think) lost the plot at something DK said (probably that he wasn't a fan of negative tactics), and raged that nobody has the right to criticize the manager of our club, how a proper fan stood by the boss through thick and thin, and anyways, who was DK to say anything about Rafa's style of play, where's his coaching credentials?

DK responded with:

bkwitche

TIA First Team
Also Maria, not to take away from your brilliant post but Electricwitch is the tennis fan, bkwitche was the yank that left a few years ago because he became a cop in the States, hope he is doing well. We attached to each other because we joined within days of each other and pops in maybe once a year promising that he will visit more but never does![\b]

I promise I'll stop by more often!

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
this is my daily read. been doing more reading than posting lately with the arrival of the baby, buying a house, moving and finally a trip to EU this month.

But still my only daily read, you all make it enjoyable and I wish I could keep up more.

@Broomy thanks for taking the time to reach out. Cheers all.

Sold Heskey

Freedom ain't free...
Hi all, longtime reader here - pretty much from when the forums started and reading this thread prompted me to sign up again (was a member many years ago and remember the likes of GBH, Soueys Tache and redbj etc).

Anyway good to be back a few years wiser...

KelGerrard

TIA Reserve Team
this is my daily read. been doing more reading than posting lately with the arrival of the baby, buying a house, moving and finally a trip to EU this month.

But still my only daily read, you all make it enjoyable and I wish I could keep up more.

@Broomy thanks for taking the time to reach out. Cheers all.
My thoughts exactly.Whatever goes on in my life i always have to check in here to see what is happening with our brilliant,albeit frustrating at times,club.

Dane

NEXT!
I remember someone edited Wikipedia, then asked a question in the quiz thread. Sure enough someone got the "right" answer lol
Ha ha, yeah that was me.
I edited Bruce Grobbelaar to have a middle name Goodison.
Asked the question in the quiz thread and Dragonshadow was all like "Ooh ooh, I know this one"

Dane

NEXT!
Tracking the Observer back when I was in the mod squad was fun.... bloody hell, if that fella put that sort of effort to sell insurance, I think he be a multimillionaire by now. Talk about being persistent and thick skin...
Ah memories, when polical correctness was unheard of, and people weren't talked to like this place was a fucking knitting ciircle.
Dont think I ever banned anyone during my stints as a mod.

Last edited: