Aaron Ramsey (CM/AM) Arsenal

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Arsenal star Aaron Ramsey at centre of Liverpool and Manchester United transfer fight
EXCLUSIVE
JAMES OLLEY

Liverpool and Manchester United are weighing up a cut-price January move for Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey.

Talks between the Gunners and the 27-year-old Welshman broke down last month after the club withdrew a contract offer which had been on the table for several months.

Ramsey, whose deal expires at the end of the season, is free to negotiate with overseas teams from January 1.

AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus are among several sides monitoring the situation, but Ramsey is thought to prefer staying in England, with his family settled in London and his wife shortly due to give birth to twins.

Liverpool and United have a long-standing interest in Ramsey — the latter tried to sign him when he left Cardiff for Emirates Stadium in 2008 — and Standard Sport understands senior figures at Arsenal believe there is a strong possibility at least one of the clubs will try to take advantage of the contract impasse.

Liverpool are the most likely candidates, given Jurgen Klopp is a keen admirer of Ramsey and wants to strengthen his midfield after missing out on Nabil Fekir from Lyon.

The Fekir deal collapsed in the summer and it would cost in excess of £50million to revive, but Ramsey is likely to be available for less than half that figure, given he currently has just six months left to run on his contract.

Arsenal have drawn criticism for selling to direct rivals in the past, but Unai Emery is keen to raise funds to continue rebuilding his squad and so the chance to recoup some money for Ramsey would appeal as he looks at alternatives, which include Atlanta United midfielder Miguel Almiron and Porto captain Hector Herrera.

Liverpool head into the international break in third place in the Premier League on goal difference, but there are concerns over whether their squad is strong enough to replicate Klopp’s high-intensity style in the Champions League, while maintaining a title bid.

Ramsey consistently registers high numbers for distance covered and sprints in matches. He also appears to have put a chequered fitness record behind him, having responded well to Emery’s tougher training regime, which has involved double sessions and increased gym work.

Klopp already has a variety of midfield options and it is unclear whether Ramsey would be willing to join a club where he was merely a squad player. However, an increase on the Wales international’s £110,000-a-week wage would not be an issue at Anfield or Old Trafford.

United signed Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk for £52m in the summer but have struggled badly for creativity in a difficult campaign under Jose Mourinho. Ongoing uncertainty over Mourinho’s future would make United a less appealing option, but their vast financial resources enable them to make Ramsey a lucrative offer.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...anchester-united-transfer-fight-a3958041.html

Dave-D

Ramsey in and Lallana out, I’ve no problem with that and I’d even consider keeping Lallana until summer and sell him then if needs must.

Nikola

Admin
@Nikola, is this James Olley reliable?
Chief football writer at London Evening Standard, I'd say he's not a bad source (though their Liverpool correspondent is David Lynch). Besides, the rumours of Liverpool's interest in Ramsey are growing, I think we've had another good source pointing to it, though I can't exactly remember which one. One of them even stated that Klopp looked into signing him last summer.

Nikola

Admin
Virgil, Robbo, Gini, and Mo say hello!
Bloody hell, you had me run through all the threads in Rumour Mill! In the spirit of my, erm, "opposite of optimism", it turns out I also opened Akanji, Ousmane, Dembele, Goretzka, Chilwell and, ugh, Lazar Marković (I really wanted my curse to strike on him but...) and Sturridge threads. I really wanted Sturridge, Dembele (purely off TV highlights from Rennes), Goretzka and Chilwell to sign. I want Ramsey, too! If he'll be consistently and fully fit and firing at Liverpool.

Foldy

Just like signing a cheaper Fekir, massively talented but an injury ticking time bomb. I can just see him alongside Lallana on a physio bed. Surely we can do better and get someone cheaper??

GermanRed

Comments in here remind me of the comments we had prior signing AOC.

It’s okay to be concerned but don’t think it’s a big problem.

There was an article last year which I can’t find anymore. It read something like 'Arsenal players impressed with Liverpool medical department / facilities / man management...' or something like that.

However I can’t understand people questioning his quality. Can remember a time where he was linked with Barca, Bayern and Real for a fee similar of Bales.

Ramsey would clearly bring in some qualities and skills we don’t have in our midfield and i know many might disagree but I think - when fully integrated and adapted to our style - Ramey has more goals in him than Keita and Ox.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Looking at his record, seems like Ramsey is a player who will be injured for at least 1-2 months of every season, guaranteed. Maybe we're okay with that, maybe not, I don't know. But it's worth bearing in mind in any case.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
In terms of his qualities, Ramsey would bring to this team exactly what It's been screaming out for. He would slot in perfectly as the most attacking of our midfield 3.

The main problem is his injury record. Even if we set aside the games he's missed over the last few seasons from soft tissue , unless I've missed some behavioural problems last season, he was playing 1 game on, 2 games off (not even in squad) for pretty much the entire second half of the season after his hamstring injury. To be that heavily managed suggests things are pretty bad.

Like I said, Its difficult to doubt his quality, so if the club can see a place for him even after his injury record, I back them, particularly knowing he won't cost the earth with only 6 months on his contract. What is clear is that his transfer fee and wages will need to be heavily performance/appearance incentivised for us to even bite.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Rate Ramsey as a player, however, his injury record is cause for concern. Can't help thinking we may be better off buying someone like Ziyech. Looks talented but not quite sure if he's good or consistent enough for us.

Chewbazza

True Believer
As I said in the unreliable, if he's on a free and his wages are realistic (ie. not inflated just because he's on a free), then I would absolutely sign him, even with his injury record. But if you're talking 200k then it's probably not worth it.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Comments in here remind me of the comments we had prior signing AOC.

It’s okay to be concerned but don’t think it’s a big problem.

There was an article last year which I can’t find anymore. It read something like 'Arsenal players impressed with Liverpool medical department / facilities / man management...' or something like that.

However I can’t understand people questioning his quality. Can remember a time where he was linked with Barca, Bayern and Real for a fee similar of Bales.

Ramsey would clearly bring in some qualities and skills we don’t have in our midfield and i know many might disagree but I think - when fully integrated and adapted to our style - Ramey has more goals in him than Keita and Ox.
People aren't questioning his quality, it is his his inability to remain fit due to injury that is raising peoples concerns.

GermanRed

Are we talking about the same Alex Oxlade Chamberlain who is unlikely to feature all season due to injury?
That was meant as an observation and not like moaning about posts and posters. What’s most important is that in the end we all fell in love with Alex :well done:

Where do the £200k a week suggestions come from? We signed Ox with one year left on his contract and he is now on £120k maximum (some sources in the internet say £90k - not sure which is true). It’s not like Ramsey is much much better than AOC so no way he should earn so much more. If we sign him on a free £150k a week are realistic. If we sign him in january max. £140k would be enough.

GermanRed

Arsenal pay some of their players stupid wages and I can understand why Ramsey would ask for at least similar wages like Mkhitaryan (£180k) - I mean he is at the club for 10 years now. Performance wise Ramsey should be closer to £150k than £200k and I think he knows that.

It’s Arsenal who are trying to save face and say the player is asking for too much. I’m sure he would accept less to join us - just like Ox.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Yeah Arsenal's wage structure is a mess, £150k would be fair for Ramsay.
Let put it in perspective, Ramsey is on £110K now. If we were to pay him say £5m signing bonus like Milner, and £200K a week for 4 years, it would be additional £4.68m X 4 == £18.72m. So in total we would have paid £5m + £18.72m == £23,72m. Let's round it up to £24m, take it as transfer fees. Slightly lesser than what we've paid for Oxlade-Chamberlain. It's not that bad now is it for a premier league proven quality player?

Caradoc

Hen cnec ddiflas Manus non mordebit pascit
Harsh. No one could have predicted that horrific injury...not related to being ‘injury-prone’

17/18 Cruciate Ligament Rupture (382, 50)

16/17 Hamstring Injury (17, 5)

15/16 Medial Collateral Ligament Injury (63, 2)

15/16 Knee Injury (66, 13)

15/16 Thigh muscle rupture (24, 4)

14/15 Torn Muscle Fibre (46, 7)

14/15 Hamstring Injury (31, 5)

14/15 Groin Strain (35, 6)

13/14 Knee Injury (39, 0)

13/14 Groin Injury (32, 4)

13/14 Knee Injury (140, 30)

12/13 Hip Injury (17, 5)

(Days, Matches)

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-oxlade-chamberlain/verletzungen/spieler/143424

Last edited: