• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Adrien Rabiot (CM) PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I think Klopp gives Oxlade a chance to prove his fitness before he’d go for someone like Rabiot.

We play either 4231 or 433 pretty much, ignoring the front 3 we have spots for 2 or 3 midfielders per game.

No.6 - Henderson or Fabinho (no upgraded required here)
No.8 - Gini or Keita (no upgrade required here)
No.10 (or 2nd no.8) - Firmino or Shaqiri or Oxlade (no upgrade needed)

Add to that the likes of Lallana and Milner we have excellent depth. If Oxlade wasn’t to recover then yes we need another body, but ultimately I think we either need someone who can play instead of Firmino or alongside him or another wide forward to rotate with Mane/Salah.
Yeah, fair point, we have Ox's return to consider, also Lallana. I think there's a fair bit of life in him yet. You would think there's A LOT more to come from Naby.
So, maybe Rabiot isn't needed.

But you didn't mention Milner. With all the games he plays, if he leaves he needs to be replaced doesn't he? Will he go to Leeds? If yes, do we replace him with the players we already have? We also have the potential return of Wilson and what about Grujic? Maybe Rabiot isn't needed and I'm talking bollocks :think:

[email protected]

I very like the talks About (world class Players) etc. but i ll be better adviced when we have more believ in out academy Players. Imo they ve earned more the Chance to come to our first Team then any other top class …… whatsorever.
Klopp made Dortmund look Special because he brought almost youth Players(no world class ones).

C

Caradoc

He ticks a lot of boxes for a Klopp midfielder, bet our boss would love to work with him.

I think what I’m saying is he’ll be thinking a lot more strategically than you or I would. Does he need this player? Or will he be looking to bring players in for other positions?

Yeah, fair point, we have Ox's return to consider, also Lallana. I think there's a fair bit of life in him yet. You would think there's A LOT more to come from Naby.
So, maybe Rabiot isn't needed.

But you didn't mention Milner. With all the games he plays, if he leaves he needs to be replaced doesn't he? Will he go to Leeds? If yes, do we replace him with the players we already have? We also have the potential return of Wilson and what about Grujic? Maybe Rabiot isn't needed and I'm talking bollocks :think:

No, you’re not talking bollocks. You just have an opinion and now realise that for now at least we might need to focus elsewhere! :)

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I think our midfield isn't as cut and dry at the moment as we think. Deffo have Ox to come back in, and we have Fabinho and Keita to boot. Gini has been a revelation this season as well, but beyond those four? Henderson has his injury issues and spotty form, Lallana has... well, he wishes he had Henderson's injury issues and spotty form, and Milner is getting on in age. From there we're looking at Grujic who likely isn't going to be in the running.

I'd have no problem with someone like Rabiot coming in - especially at a knockdown fee (or free) - but would have to be as a rotational player. If he's looking for guaranteed playing time, he'll not get it here.

soberphobia

I don't see us getting Rabiot. He reportedly wants huge wages and we really don't need him. Ox will be back next season and we will rotate him with Naby and maybe give Curtis Jones a run or two in the cups. I think Lallana is as good as gone so who knows? Klopp may see a role for him and truth is he is still very young.

Sweeting

The more I read about this guy the less I like him as a fit.

He once admitted to intentionally not tackling so that he doesn't get hurt. He has thrown hissy fits and refused to train when he isn't selected in his favourite role. Doesn't sound like a fit for Liverpool and Klopp's team-centric approach.

big noyd

ramsey is a better bosman fit for our culture, squad, and wage structure IMO

if one of the three players we regularly use in a holding role were to be unavailable for an extended period of time, i think klopp would respond by playing more out of a 4 3 3. and ramsey is a different sort of player than keita, ox, shaq, or milner

rabiot has a higher ceiling but right now he'd clearly be 4th in line for one of two spots. just doesn't make sense for the wages he's seeking

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
I share the same character concerns that Sweeting and others have cited, but I would still be thrilled if we signed him.

He’s one of the best young CMs in Europe, has been starting regularly for PSG in the Champs League for years and he’s only 23.

He would definitely get in our top 15 rotation now and very likely starting lineup next season. Think about it, he’s leaving PSG only for a top Club. I think it’s likely Barca but we could have a chance.

Imagine giving him time to adapt, just like Fabinho, Keita, Ox, etc.

By next season Milner will be 33, Henderson 29, Lallana 31, and Gini nearing 29.

Klopp often likes to play three CMs against top Clubs (imagine us making a deep Champions League run).
Next year those three could be Keita 24, Fabinho 25, Rabiot 24. Or Fab and Rabiot as the two CMs with four attackers in front.

Ox, Shaq, etc off the bench.

I’d still rather Werner or Dybala, but if Klopp thinks he can get the most out of him and harness his competitiveness and ego in a positive direction, I would love it.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
In addition to Ox and Wilson being part of the midfield next season, it's likely that Grujic will be there as well. Recent comments by the coach of whichever German team it is that he's on loan at atm, are to the effect that the loan won't be made permanent as Liverpool want him for a back up role next season.

I know that's just talk, but perhaps there is something to it. After all, Klopp does seem reluctant to give up on young players too quickly. Plus, given what @Flobs says about Rabiot, and he's someone who's seen him much more than most of us, seems like not only do we not really need him but perhaps we should just steer clear.

Last edited:

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
I think the Shaquiri deal is a good parallel to the Rabiot discussion. A talented player available potentially below his market value because of his current contract situation. Compete with whispers about a questionable attitude.

In Shaquiri's case, whatever attitude issues he may have had at Stoke, he has come to LFC ready to work with a smile and accept a role on the edges of the first team - at least until he proves on the field he is indispensable.

Siging Rabiot comes down to the same question - regardless of past issues, will put his head down and pull with the rest of the team as hard as asked? Klopp has a good track record of knowing the right answer to that question and if the answer is yes Rabiot would be a great summer signing. If it is no, we will stay far away.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
I know we can't accept it but Millie can't go on forever. He'll be 33 ish in the Summer. Rabiot is obtainable, for free, in the Summer. Milner could finishes his career at Leeds. Rabiot starts a new chapter at LFC this summer. Could be a plan :think:
:shocked: what do you mean Millie can't go forever. He has atleast 10 more years before the expiry date.
Would rather we concentrated on getting Keita up to speed than having him be a back up.

Our midfield is looking stacked to me, even more so if this 4231 formation is here to stay. Harry Wilson and Chamberlain will hopefully be in the squad next year too.

Think Rabiot would fit in our side but it seems an unnecessary move at this point.
Fabinho, Wij, Hendo, Rabiott for the double pivot.
Mane and Keita on left wing.
Shaq and Ox on right wing.
Mo, Bobby, Wilson, Solanke and a new striker to play as the top 2 in 4411.
Milner, Lallana, DS, Origi, Markovic, Ejaria and Kent moved on. Grujic, Woodburn, Brewster and Jones on loan.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
:shocked: what do you mean Millie can't go forever. He has atleast 10 more years before the expiry date.

Milner, Lallana, DS, Origi, Markovic, Ejaria and Kent moved on. Grujic, Woodburn, Brewster and Jones on loan.
Keita solely for the left wing no chance. We're only waiting for him to click and he'll be an automatic starter in the centre.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Keita solely for the left wing no chance. We're only waiting for him to click and he'll be an automatic starter in the centre.
Currently I don't see him starting in mid ahead of Fab, Wij or Hendo. As I was saying in Keita's thread, the year long loan meant we have moved on from what we had in mind when we bought him. We don't play with 3 in the middle anymore.

Flobs

FADA
I think the Shaquiri deal is a good parallel to the Rabiot discussion. A talented player available potentially below his market value because of his current contract situation. Compete with whispers about a questionable attitude.

In Shaquiri's case, whatever attitude issues he may have had at Stoke, he has come to LFC ready to work with a smile and accept a role on the edges of the first team - at least until he proves on the field he is indispensable.

Siging Rabiot comes down to the same question - regardless of past issues, will put his head down and pull with the rest of the team as hard as asked? Klopp has a good track record of knowing the right answer to that question and if the answer is yes Rabiot would be a great summer signing. If it is no, we will stay far away.
PSG are no where near relegation. Not at all comparable let alone parallel.
Also it is impossible to know how a player is going to react in a new environment so that question is always left unanswered.
What we do know is that he is asking astronomical wages. So how does that affect the possibility of signing him?

Flobs

FADA

His problems at PSG started because he didn't want to play DM (and wanted the same wage as Neymar). ;-)

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
PSG are no where near relegation. Not at all comparable let alone parallel.
Also it is impossible to know how a player is going to react in a new environment so that question is always left unanswered.
What we do know is that he is asking astronomical wages. So how does that affect the possibility of signing him?
You could argue that playing with Neymar is as taxing on the spirit as playing for Stoke...

It is always hard to be certain how a player will react in a different environment, but I would expect the wage demands will price him out of a move here. We are not so desperate for a midfielder of his skill set that we'd be likely to overpay to sign him.

Flobs

FADA
You could argue that playing with Neymar is as taxing on the spirit as playing for Stoke...

It is always hard to be certain how a player will react in a different environment, but I would expect the wage demands will price him out of a move here. We are not so desperate for a midfielder of his skill set that we'd be likely to overpay to sign him.
He certainly shouldn't get more than Wijnaldum who is a better player. :)

Limiescouse

The problem here is in treating all whispers as equally valid and all issues at previous studies as being the same. He has now fallen out with his last 3 coaches, and all over issues that are antithetical to the sort of collective attitude Klopp values. One of those managers has said he'll never play for him again, and another said he'd be open to picking him but he just isnt good enough to worry about.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
The problem here is in treating all whispers as equally valid and all issues at previous studies as being the same. He has now fallen out with his last 3 coaches, and all over issues that are antithetical to the sort of collective attitude Klopp values. One of those managers has said he'll never play for him again, and another said he'd be open to picking him but he just isnt good enough to worry about.
In fairness those are warning signs writ large. Falling out with successive managers would be a real worry.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
I will readily admit I have not taken the time to dig into the whispers about Rabiot. I was just applying the general principle of we never really know what was going on - and the relative truth behind the whispers is the deciding factor. If they are as you suggest, then I have every confidence that Klopp will steer well clear and the rumors we hear floating around will have an agent trying imply competition for his signature to drive up the price as their source.

Red over the water

On the character side of things, I'll leave that to the manager and his team to judge. They look into everything, and if they aren't put off then that's good enough for me. As a player he is definitely good enough.

Is there room? Yes, in my opinion.

Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Keita all look like they will be here for the long term. Beyond that, there are lots of question marks.
I don't think Lallana and Milner will be here beyond this season. (Milner might, but I could see Leeds coming into view for him).
Will Ox return from injury as good? And while Henderson is a good player, there's plenty of debate about whether or not he should be captain, and the main reason for that is because he isn't always a fixture in the side... because his form and fitness have been patchy.

Fabinho, Keita, Wijnaldum, Rabiot, Henderson and Ox would be a good six to go with in midfield next season.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
£170k, really? Got himself good money there.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Not bothered about missing out on him, can't stand it when one of our players feels the need to wear a hairband. Barca are welcome to the big girl.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.