• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Adrien Rabiot (CM) PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Even so, we are are known to be incredibly diligent when it comes to team spirit and harmony. I don’t think we’ll go anywhere near Rabiot.
I agree I don't think we'll go for Rabiot but Van Dijk went on strike and took Southampton to Arbitration. At least that was partly because they were blocking a move to us, but still.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Even so, we are are known to be incredibly diligent when it comes to team spirit and harmony. I don’t think we’ll go anywhere near Rabiot.
I agree Klopp and the recruitment team are great judges of character so IF we have looked at him seriously and made any attempt to sign him it is proof that he doesn't have this fabled bad attitude. Just like Shaqiri didn't. And VvD didn't. And Mane didn't. It's funny but ambitious, committed, passionate footballers who want to achieve something are labelled as trouble makers quite often by managers to cover up mistakes and disrespectful by clubs that want to limit their progression (and departures) within the game. See how the Hodge dealt with Agger for another example.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I agree I don't think we'll go for Rabiot but Van Dijk went on strike and took Southampton to Arbitration. At least that was partly because they were blocking a move to us, but still.
Van Dijk wasn’t any trouble until he (rightly) felt Southampton we’re reneging on their agreement with him.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I agree Klopp and the recruitment team are great judges of character so IF we have looked at him seriously and made any attempt to sign him it is proof that he doesn't have this fabled bad attitude. Just like Shaqiri didn't. And VvD didn't. And Mane didn't. It's funny but ambitious, committed, passionate footballers who want to achieve something are labelled as trouble makers quite often by managers to cover up mistakes and disrespectful by clubs that want to limit their progression (and departures) within the game. See how the Hodge dealt with Agger for another example.
Agree with this. I trust the club to get these right. I think the problem with Rabiot (as from the quotes above) he has a bit of history being a gobshite and causing trouble. If the club think this is no problem, then I’m fine with it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Agree with this. I trust the club to get these right. I think the problem with Rabiot (as from the quotes above) he has a bit of history being a gobshite and causing trouble. If the club think this is no problem, then I’m fine with it.
As I said in the other post though Klopp would have firmly seen his side of things in the Blanc problems and the Zlatan thing. You've got to remember who is putting this portrayal out in the media and what their intentions are over it. Would you consider a player as having a history of being a gobshite if it was Mourniho he wasn't getting along with or agreeing with his youth development by?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Van Dijk wasn’t any trouble until he (rightly) felt Southampton we’re reneging on their agreement with him.
Complicated issue that. He thought that they were reneging when they weren't but they did renege when when arguably they could.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
What happened with Barca? I thought he was basically signed, sealed and delivered months ago, then they go out and spend big on that Dutch lad and suddenly Rabiot is desperately shopping himself around again and, for a seemingly talented player, appears to have zero offers on the table at a time when clubs are free to sign a pre-agreement with him.

Something smells fishy (and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble).

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
The first one is about the National team, Klopp has never seemed to have a problem with his players not getting along with their National coach. They took N'Zonzi to the world cup instead of him it was a stupid mistake.

2nd is about Zlatan isn't it? I'd take it as a good thing they didn't get along. He had the balls to call someone like that out on his bullshit.

The ones with Blanc boil down to him wanting to play more between 18 and 21 when Blanc was the manager. He was better than some who were playing ahead of him but that's not what matters at PSG and they wouldn't loan him. Klopp is very much on the footballers side of things in that situation and doesn't believe in stifling a players career or progress just to make sure there's enough cover. He also doesn't care about age, price and wages in the first place when picking who plays.

He's been described as critical but has he been wrong? Easy to point someone as a bad guy to draw attention away from mistakes. Ungrateful and petulant over PSG? Seriously that club isn't the kind of club anyone should be feeling grateful to. Any of their youth players who have broken through into the seniors have done it despite the club (And their acquisition of star players) not because of it.
No justification for any of it... keep it behind closed doors. Would rather no one than get him.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
No justification for any of it... keep it behind closed doors. Would rather no one than get him.
It's not like it's the player going to the press with most/all of it. Others have first and sometimes he does to put his point of view across.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
What happened with Barca? I thought he was basically signed, sealed and delivered months ago, then they go out and spend big on that Dutch lad and suddenly Rabiot is desperately shopping himself around again and, for a seemingly talented player, appears to have zero offers on the table at a time when clubs are free to sign a pre-agreement with him.

Something smells fishy (and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble).
Wouldnt be surprised if Barca did that to give themselves options should their first choice option not be available. Although, at the time it was suggested it was an issue over his agent/mother's behaviour - which i feel is probably unlikely given some of the agents they have had to deal with. Alternatively, they may have just had to commit more funds to that young dutch lad than they initially expected?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Wouldnt be surprised if Barca did that to give themselves options should their first choice option not be available. Although, at the time it was suggested it was an issue over his agent/mother's behaviour - which i feel is probably unlikely given some of the agents they have had to deal with. Alternatively, they may have just had to commit more funds to that young dutch lad than they initially expected?
Or it's all just negotiating and he might still end up there. How long did it take for Can to get sorted to Juventus?

Limiescouse

One player with no history of misbehavior and one manager. Rabiot has had issues with every manager he has played under as a senior player, bot club and international. And always over the same self-centered stuff. And yes, most of the time managers are forced to talk about the situation in response to things he has done and said.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
One player with no history of misbehavior and one manager. Rabiot has had issues with every manager he has played under as a senior player, bot club and international. And always over the same self-centered stuff. And yes, most of the time managers are forced to talk about the situation in response to things he has done and said.
It's certainly a warning sign. I'm where I was with Shaqiri, you hear the whispers and rumors and are concerned, but without knowing what was going on behind closed doors there is no way for us to properly asses the causes, the attitude, and more importantly what the attitude would be if he came to Liverpool.

Rabiot has had probably with management at PSG, even if that is multiple managers, it is a club that seems to have more back door political games going on than most. So maybe he's just the honest guy in a room of thieves. Or he's a whiny spoilt child. I can't possibly know.

That being said there are enough whispers on this one that i'm happy to pass. Is it true he just fired his Mother?

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Adrien Rabiot: the golden boy who became PSG’s French football outcast
Midfielder should be a force at his club but a contract stand-off and off-pitch behaviour have led to him being frozen out.

It’s not that I’m hiding away,” insisted Adrien Rabiot on French television last week. “I am available to the club. If I could play, I would. I’ve always been a club man …”

Some in the French capital may beg to differ. Last week, three months after his most recent appearance for Paris Saint-Germain, the elegant midfielder with the trademark frizzy hair was handed a two-week suspension for what PSG described as “major faults” in his conduct – namely being pictured at a nightclub hours after the defeat by Manchester United and ‘liking’ a tweet from Patrice Evra which celebrated the club’s surprise exit. In this era of social media obsession, what greater crime could there be?

Yet, as he has consistently proved since bursting on to the scene under Carlo Ancelotti at Parc des Princes, there is more to Rabiot than meets the eye. His issues at PSG date back to 2014 and Laurent Blanc’s spell in charge, when the young midfielder who spent a few months at Manchester City’s academy as a teenager was on the brink of leaving after being dropped from the squad. Waiting in the car park for Blanc at the club’s Camp des Loges training ground was Rabiot’s mother, Veronique – who has acted as her son’s agent ever since his father, Michel, had a stroke in 2007 that left him almost completely paralysed but fully conscious.

“You can’t do that to him,” Mrs Rabiot told the bewildered coach. “I’m not going to consent to that.”

Within weeks, Rabiot had agreed a new contract to see off interest from Roma and subsequently became one of PSG’s most important players. “My dream is that he might become captain of PSG one day,” said the president, Nasser al-Khelaifi, the following year. “But, he has to respect the club, the coach, and his teammates.”

Despite becoming a regular under Unai Emery Rabiot’s refusal to commit his future by extending his contract last summer left him and his mother at loggerheads with PSG once more, as well as with the French Football Federation. Upon discovering he had been asked to go on standby having been left out of Didier Deschamps’ squad for the 2018 World Cup, he emailed the coach saying he would not “be able to follow the training programme” and instead watched at home as his teammates went on to win the tournament.

Rabiot’s mother is reported to have held talks with several top sides last summer as her son entered the final year of his contract, including Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester City and Manchester United, with Barcelona going as far as submitting an offer. When that was refused by PSG’s sporting director, Antero Henrique, the Rabiots – who are believed to have demanded around €10m a season to consider staying in Paris – went to war.

Rabiot, having started 12 matches in Ligue 1 under Thomas Tuchel despite being dropped along with Kylian Mbappé after the pair turned up late for training, was banished to the reserves in December after reiterating that he would no longer consider signing a new deal and the 23-year-old has not been seen since. His mother - who has been the subject of numerous caricatures in the French press mocking her hold over her son – has complained to the players’ union the UNFP over his treatment, insisting “no one would accept this kind of situation in any French company” and accusing PSG of making an example of him.

“We are a great team because we never doubt each other,” she has said of her relationship with her son. “I don’t get involved in how he plays but he has to speak before the camera and he has to watch some of his language.”

A five-year contract with Barcelona including a €10m (£9m) signing-on fee as well as a salary of just over £170,000 a week is thought to remain on the table, although that has yet to be made official and must have been brought into some doubt after the purchase of Ajax’s Frenkie de Jong. Meanwhile, PSG’s decision to conduct an internal investigation into Rabiot’s conduct in a video of him in the nightclub which emerged online hours after the United defeat and into his faux pas on social media has not been well received by him or his mother, with Khelaifi said to have washed his hands of the former golden boy.

“I find unacceptable the attitude and lack of professionalism of a player like Adrien Rabiot towards the club, his teammates and his supporters,” said Henrique when the suspension was announced. “Remember up to June 30, 2019 he is part of our squad.”

Reports this week again linked United with a move for the outcast of French football, who now looks certain to leave his childhood club having played exactly 150 matches for the first team and winning only six caps for his country so far. Whether he can add to that tally under Deschamps as France embark on their Euro 2020 qualification campaign in Moldova on Friday remains unlikely given that the manager has appeared reluctant to recall such a divisive character into his winning side. Then again, perhaps his mother can have a word.

W00die

Ad-free Member
If PSG aren't playing him because he won't sign an extension I can't see that's his fault. It shows PSG as poor in my view. And why are they bothered if he goes to s nightclub the night after a match if they have no intention of picking him anyway. £9m signing on fee plus £170k / week sounds reasonable for a good midfielder, but I have no idea how good he actually is.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
If PSG aren't playing him because he won't sign an extension I can't see that's his fault. It shows PSG as poor in my view. And why are they bothered if he goes to s nightclub the night after a match if they have no intention of picking him anyway. £9m signing on fee plus £170k / week sounds reasonable for a good midfielder, but I have no idea how good he actually is.
I dont know anything about what is happening there, but whether or not they play him in their first team, there is a standard of behaviour expected from him. He plays with their under 23's after all. I think the issue isnt just about him not signing a new contract but his attitude also. It just happens no matter the manager.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Yeah he doesn't sound like the brightest of sparks tbh,going on the piss after PSG just got booted out of the CL by United,then liking a tweet by an ex United player about United knocking PSG out,sounds like a cock tbh.Can you imagine if one of our players liked a tweet from a player who's club just knocked us out of the CL?? i'd say this guys lacking a bit of loyalty and probably not too high on Klopps wish list.

LFCFFC

To put that into context, he'd be on a similar weekly wage to Bobby.

No thanks.

Ron Swanson

If and it's a big IF we are interested then it means Klopp knows about his attitude but feels he can manage it and bring the best out of the young lad but I think if he came reality would hit him like a train as like all of Jurgen's signings they will have to earn their spot or the will be waiting a long time on the bench as they won't play until Jurgen feels they are ready.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I dont know anything about what is happening there, but whether or not they play him in their first team, there is a standard of behaviour expected from him. He plays with their under 23's after all. I think the issue isnt just about him not signing a new contract but his attitude also. It just happens no matter the manager.
Didn't see him having issues with Carlo Ancelotti who handed him his start. It could all be due to his mother pampering him, which I believe as a young footballer, they need a better mentor type that could tell them how it is rather than what they want to hear. Quality is there for all to see, it's now down to money and his priorities. He had taken the first step forward by firing his mother and appoint another agent, now the next step he takes is going to be crucial to him being able to live up to his potential to the fullest, or become another Balotelli type of player.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Think he's been misguided by his family. I'd stay away from characters like him

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Adrien Rabiot: the golden boy who became PSG’s French football outcast
Midfielder should be a force at his club but a contract stand-off and off-pitch behaviour have led to him being frozen out.

It’s not that I’m hiding away,” insisted Adrien Rabiot on French television last week. “I am available to the club. If I could play, I would. I’ve always been a club man …”

Some in the French capital may beg to differ. Last week, three months after his most recent appearance for Paris Saint-Germain, the elegant midfielder with the trademark frizzy hair was handed a two-week suspension for what PSG described as “major faults” in his conduct – namely being pictured at a nightclub hours after the defeat by Manchester United and ‘liking’ a tweet from Patrice Evra which celebrated the club’s surprise exit. In this era of social media obsession, what greater crime could there be?

Yet, as he has consistently proved since bursting on to the scene under Carlo Ancelotti at Parc des Princes, there is more to Rabiot than meets the eye. His issues at PSG date back to 2014 and Laurent Blanc’s spell in charge, when the young midfielder who spent a few months at Manchester City’s academy as a teenager was on the brink of leaving after being dropped from the squad. Waiting in the car park for Blanc at the club’s Camp des Loges training ground was Rabiot’s mother, Veronique – who has acted as her son’s agent ever since his father, Michel, had a stroke in 2007 that left him almost completely paralysed but fully conscious.

“You can’t do that to him,” Mrs Rabiot told the bewildered coach. “I’m not going to consent to that.”

Within weeks, Rabiot had agreed a new contract to see off interest from Roma and subsequently became one of PSG’s most important players. “My dream is that he might become captain of PSG one day,” said the president, Nasser al-Khelaifi, the following year. “But, he has to respect the club, the coach, and his teammates.”

Despite becoming a regular under Unai Emery Rabiot’s refusal to commit his future by extending his contract last summer left him and his mother at loggerheads with PSG once more, as well as with the French Football Federation. Upon discovering he had been asked to go on standby having been left out of Didier Deschamps’ squad for the 2018 World Cup, he emailed the coach saying he would not “be able to follow the training programme” and instead watched at home as his teammates went on to win the tournament.

Rabiot’s mother is reported to have held talks with several top sides last summer as her son entered the final year of his contract, including Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester City and Manchester United, with Barcelona going as far as submitting an offer. When that was refused by PSG’s sporting director, Antero Henrique, the Rabiots – who are believed to have demanded around €10m a season to consider staying in Paris – went to war.

Rabiot, having started 12 matches in Ligue 1 under Thomas Tuchel despite being dropped along with Kylian Mbappé after the pair turned up late for training, was banished to the reserves in December after reiterating that he would no longer consider signing a new deal and the 23-year-old has not been seen since. His mother - who has been the subject of numerous caricatures in the French press mocking her hold over her son – has complained to the players’ union the UNFP over his treatment, insisting “no one would accept this kind of situation in any French company” and accusing PSG of making an example of him.

“We are a great team because we never doubt each other,” she has said of her relationship with her son. “I don’t get involved in how he plays but he has to speak before the camera and he has to watch some of his language.”

A five-year contract with Barcelona including a €10m (£9m) signing-on fee as well as a salary of just over £170,000 a week is thought to remain on the table, although that has yet to be made official and must have been brought into some doubt after the purchase of Ajax’s Frenkie de Jong. Meanwhile, PSG’s decision to conduct an internal investigation into Rabiot’s conduct in a video of him in the nightclub which emerged online hours after the United defeat and into his faux pas on social media has not been well received by him or his mother, with Khelaifi said to have washed his hands of the former golden boy.

“I find unacceptable the attitude and lack of professionalism of a player like Adrien Rabiot towards the club, his teammates and his supporters,” said Henrique when the suspension was announced. “Remember up to June 30, 2019 he is part of our squad.”

Reports this week again linked United with a move for the outcast of French football, who now looks certain to leave his childhood club having played exactly 150 matches for the first team and winning only six caps for his country so far. Whether he can add to that tally under Deschamps as France embark on their Euro 2020 qualification campaign in Moldova on Friday remains unlikely given that the manager has appeared reluctant to recall such a divisive character into his winning side. Then again, perhaps his mother can have a word.

Did he not dump his mother as his agent recently?

DanielLFC1995

Enough smoke around this one, with L'Equipe claiming that we've held talks with his reps (as reported in the Echo).
He is a class player in midfield, he'd be a solid addition to the squad. He is a calm and composed passer of the ball, decent tackler and not too bad going forward. I do have my concerns though. He seems very petulant and a little bit immature. He was exiled from the French squad because of his (and his Agent's) comments. He has had discaplinary issues at PSG too. He might jeopardise the harmony within our squad. He'd have hefty wage demands, his agent would demand a big fee and he'd get a huge signing on fee. Is he worth the risk? I can't decide. If he comes, gets his head down and focuses on Football, I'm all for it!

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Until you see him on the pitch and you can't help but think there is a damn good player in there waiting for a manager like Klopp to release.
It just comes down to having no big reason to take the risk.

On the upside, Rabiot is a really good player and will be relatively cheaper. But there are others at his level and we aren't that skint that we can't afford a transfer fee.

On the downside, he could disrupt the team. Winning the title is hard enough without a player who seems to get into little skirmishes with almost every manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.