• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Alberto Moreno (LB) to Lazio

Status
Not open for further replies.

red arizona scott

Pretty funny Barca would consider him, they must not have watched as much of Moreno as I have, would be a waist of a roster spot for them, not worthy of being a #2LB and not really a flyer for someone who might take over for Alba some day.

Smart move for him is going to Italy.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Pretty funny Barca would consider him, they must not have watched as much of Moreno as I have, would be a waist of a roster spot for them, not worthy of being a #2LB and not really a flyer for someone who might take over for Alba some day.

Smart move for him is going to Italy.
Maybe they're looking at him to keep his friend Coutinho happy. After all, they'd be getting two such players for less than 150 million pounds combined.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Have Barca got any issues with not enough Spanish/EU players? If they have limited spots it makes no sense to have anything other than Spanish or club trained back up players. In their league there's not much requirement for rotation. You can have a starting 11 with a few quality subs week in week out and the rest just cover. It's probably going to be Moreno, a cheap Spanish/EU LB or someone promoted from the academy.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
They've been linked with him before, so wouldnt be completely surprising to see him there. They probably have enough of the ball in most matches for him not to get too exposed. He isnt going to be needling for playing time and is someone just happy to be at a club he likes. He wont be expecting a massive wage either.

red arizona scott

Have Barca got any issues with not enough Spanish/EU players? If they have limited spots it makes no sense to have anything other than Spanish or club trained back up players. In their league there's not much requirement for rotation. You can have a starting 11 with a few quality subs week in week out and the rest just cover. It's probably going to be Moreno, a cheap Spanish/EU LB or someone promoted from the academy.
Than Nacho Monreal or Filipe Luis would be much smarter frees for them if there are looking for a veteran to spell Jordi Alba here and there while still having some quality. Their evaluators are sleeping if they sign Moreno.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Than Nacho Monreal or Filipe Luis would be much smarter frees for them if there are looking for a veteran to spell Jordi Alba here and there while still having some quality. Their evaluators are sleeping if they sign Moreno.
They're both 33 so would only be short term fixes for a season or two (Filipe Luis is one I've mentioned for us in that role as I think that's all we need till one of our young LBs is ready). Moreno is 26 and could sit their bench for them for a few years. He'd be cheaper than them. Filipe Luis would take up one of their non EU player slots which are limited. Monreal really isn't much better if any.

Red over the water

Good luck to Moreno wherever he ends up.

Great stamina, and when he ran the length of the pitch and scored against Spurs a few years ago I thought we might have something, but alas, it wasn’t to be. Overall he just can’t really defend. He gets into unnatural and bad defensive positions all the time, almost as if he never really grasped the basics of the game before his athleticism propelled him to Sevilla then Liverpool.

He is not a disruptive character, and I can almost see an attacking full back there, but not at our level.

Good luck wherever he lands (I think he might do well in Italy).

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Good luck to Moreno wherever he ends up.

Great stamina, and when he ran the length of the pitch and scored against Spurs a few years ago I thought we might have something, but alas, it wasn’t to be. Overall he just can’t really defend. He gets into unnatural and bad defensive positions all the time, almost as if he never really grasped the basics of the game before his athleticism propelled him to Sevilla then Liverpool.

He is not a disruptive character, and I can almost see an attacking full back there, but not at our level.

Good luck wherever he lands (I think he might do well in Italy).
Fair assessment. I bear him no ill will, but I have to admit when Robertson materialized out of no where to make that amazing block on a Spurs counter a little voice in the back of my noted that we would have conceded had Alberto been our left back.

Great physical tools, inconsistent but often dangerous going forward, and just plain missing too many times defensively. Ok with him as a back up, rotation against weaker foes, but the position is Andy's for the next decade.

Hope he has enjoyed his time in Liverpool and does well for his next club.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Moreno is probably more cut out to be a wide midfielder playing in front of a 3 man defense. Not a wingback. I like his linkup play when he does come forward and he probably has more to offer in that position rather than putting him in left back with his lack of defensive awareness and general mistakes that tend to creep into his gameplay.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Well, Lazio already have a Moreno-esque option on the left wingback in Jordan Lukaku (Romelu's brother: he's quick, technical and an attacking asset, like Moreno, and also hare-brained and tactically and defensively completely inept, again like Moreno). Riza Durmisi signed from Betis last summer and looks a good prospect for next season. Lazio have a famously error prone defence though so I don't really see how he would improve us.

I've always said about Moreno he should be re-trained as an out and out winger and be freed from the heavy defensive duties. They have always been his nemesis as a player.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Well, Lazio already have a Moreno-esque option on the left wingback in Jordan Lukaku (Romelu's brother: he's quick, technical and an attacking asset, like Moreno, and also hare-brained and tactically and defensively completely inept, again like Moreno). Riza Durmisi signed from Betis last summer and looks a good prospect for next season. Lazio have a famously error prone defence though so I don't really see how he would improve us.

I've always said about Moreno he should be re-trained as an out and out winger and be freed from the heavy defensive duties. They have always been his nemesis as a player.
Moreno started out as a winger and was converted to wing back/ full back. I don't think he has the quality to make the switch back for us.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Moreno started out as a winger and was converted to wing back/ full back. I don't think he has the quality to make the switch back for us.
I doubt he has either,but if he is going to be on the park for anyone...not us,he might be better upon the wing.
He has been a disaster defensively,certainly for us.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Lazio play a 3-5-1-1 with wingbacks. Serie A is a lower level than Premier League, but it's not a poor league. Tactically, it's as astute as ever. He doesn't seem like a good fit for Lazio, he'll have the same struggles there as he has had in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.