Alberto Moreno (LB) to Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Will be pleased when he goes and someone better brought in to replace him, though it's a big shame. Had high hopes for this lad, but despite having the physical gifts seems to lack the nous to make proper use of them.

And despite the silliness with tattoos and hover-boards he seems likeable enough and appears to get on well with the rest of the team.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Yeah - physical gifts of a world class player, mental gifts of a Shelvey. Shame it didn't work out here, but I've never seen a full back look so utterly hapless when being asked to defend. Does seem a very popular lad, given the fact that he's in absolutely EVERYONE's instagram photos, but needs to show it on the pitch.

Hopefully the right offer comes in for him that works out for everyone. Think Italy would suit him (especially with Salah no longer there!).

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Will be pleased when he goes and someone better brought in to replace him, though it's a big shame. Had high hopes for this lad, but despite having the physical gifts seems to lack the nous to make proper use of them.

And despite the silliness with tattoos and hover-boards he seems likeable enough and appears to get on well with the rest of the team.
Not sure the tatts makes a blind bit of difference. It's what's between his ears...

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Not sure the tatts makes a blind bit of difference. It's what's between his ears...
I would say that some of the ones he's opted for speak to his, uh, slightly childlike mentality, honestly.

Like this:

It's a bit daft, really. And I did say his main problem is lacking the nous required.

liver1

Would be a good move for him. The Italians can teach him to defend and develop his game further.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
if Napoli want him and we want Ghoulam.. surely a swap type deal can workout ?

GermanRed

On the same day reports came out that we are interested in Ghoulam and Napoli are interested in Moreno. What could that mean?

How good a player is Ghoulam? Would he be an upgrade on Moreno? Just curious. We certainly need to address the left-back position to have someone help Milner have a rest now and then.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Wow, £15m for Moreno?
A bit at a loss for that figure, to be honest. We signed him for £12m when his star was firmly on the rise, and since then he's proven himself to be... erm, well not the most reliable. And barely kicked a ball in anger for us all last season. Clear as day that Klopp doesn't rate him, and doesn't figure in his plans. I know transfer figures have gone fucking mental the past six months, but I'd have thought getting over 90% of our outlay back for him isn't bad business.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Strange to think that 20 years ago £15m would have bagged you an in-his-prime Alan Shearer, when last year it got you a Jordon Ibe and this year it's the asking price for a not-fit-for-purpose left-back who's hardly played for a year.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
How good a player is Ghoulam? Would he be an upgrade on Moreno? Just curious. We certainly need to address the left-back position to have someone help Milner have a rest now and then.
He's a good player, probably better suited to playing in England than in Napoli. I suggested him as a possible target a few seasons back, I expected him to become a top left back. Well, he didn't reach that level but he also didn't disappoint, in my opinion, I'd certainly have him in our team, though I doubt Klopp will go after him looking at the type of left back he seems to be targeting.

He's a good player, probably better suited to playing in England than in Napoli. I suggested him as a possible target a few seasons back, I expected him to become a top left back. Well, he didn't reach that level but he also didn't disappoint, in my opinion, I'd certainly have him in our team, though I doubt Klopp will go after him looking at the type of left back he seems to be targeting.
Thank you @Nikola for the insight - it wasn't that I was expecting Klopp to have a keen interest in him - just curious about his ability to suit our playing system. Just hope the Manager is successful in recruiting a left-back that he has faith and believe in to strengthen that defensive position.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
A bit at a loss for that figure, to be honest. We signed him for £12m when his star was firmly on the rise, and since then he's proven himself to be... erm, well not the most reliable. And barely kicked a ball in anger for us all last season. Clear as day that Klopp doesn't rate him, and doesn't figure in his plans. I know transfer figures have gone fucking mental the past six months, but I'd have thought getting over 90% of our outlay back for him isn't bad business.
I agree and our staff needs to realise that as well. Just because the world is charging the Premier League teams an arm and a leg, doesn't mean they are going to do the same when buying players from the Premier League. £11m for Moreno would not be a bad business at all, we recoup nearly most of the transfer fees we paid for him and besides I thought we may only get £5m for him.

redfanman

TIA Regular
I agree and our staff needs to realise that as well. Just because the world is charging the Premier League teams an arm and a leg, doesn't mean they are going to do the same when buying players from the Premier League. £11m for Moreno would not be a bad business at all, we recoup nearly most of the transfer fees we paid for him and besides I thought we may only get £5m for him.
Turning Down the offer maybe because it was structured unfavourable.

Danny_

Turning Down the offer maybe because it was structured unfavourable.
This. I assume it is in installments that are over 3-4 years. Seems like we should be taking the offer otherwise but who knows what players are worth these days. At this point, he is 3rd choice LB as I would play Gomez ahead of him, even if it isn't his natural position.

Dutch

I read yesterday that there 3 or 4 other clubs interested in Moreno, of course don't know if is it true but why sell at the first bit, I say sell ASAP but not cheap. Let's see how this develops.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
According to Jack Lusby regarding Ghoulam:

"Energetic, powerful and quick along the ground, Ghoulam is hitting his prime as a top-flight left-back, but there remain concerns over his defensive quality.

He has a strong work rate and his fitness levels allow him to surge forward and track back consistently, but he is not the most focused, possessing shades of Moreno’s game."

So, given there are concerns over his defensive quality and he is not the most focused, possessing shades of Moreno's game, wouldn't we simply swapping Moreno for a more expensive Moreno MkII?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
According to Jack Lusby regarding Ghoulam:

"Energetic, powerful and quick along the ground, Ghoulam is hitting his prime as a top-flight left-back, but there remain concerns over his defensive quality.

He has a strong work rate and his fitness levels allow him to surge forward and track back consistently, but he is not the most focused, possessing shades of Moreno’s game."

So, given there are concerns over his defensive quality and he is not the most focused, possessing shades of Moreno's game, wouldn't we simply swapping Moreno for a more expensive Moreno MkII?
He's 8 inches taller than Moreno. That alone says no, we wouldn't be.

Lowton_Red

He's 8 inches taller than Moreno. That alone says no, we wouldn't be.
OK, so he' taller (7inches, not 8, but let's not split hairs) but that doesn't of necessity address the alleged* "concerns over his defensive quality" and the comment "he is not the most focused, possessing shades of Moreno's game".

*Or is Lusby talking through his ringpiece? :shocked:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
OK, so he' taller (7inches, not 8, but let's not split hairs) but that doesn't of necessity address the alleged* "concerns over his defensive quality" and the comment "he is not the most focused, possessing shades of Moreno's game".

*Or is Lusby talking through his ringpiece? :shocked:
Sure, but one of Moreno's biggest weaknesses is in the air, to go along with his complete absence of focus, lack of right foot and overall lack of footballing ability. I can't see how a fullback who is as tall as Lovren could be a Moreno mk2.

There's also a huge difference between those comments Lusby made and Moreno's level. To say Moreno is 'not the most focused' would be akin to saying Josef Fritzl wasn't a great father. I can't recall ever seeing Ghoulam play so I can't comment on how good he is myself.

Etipafilaf

"If we want, this can be a real special day."
I read yesterday that there 3 or 4 other clubs interested in Moreno, of course don't know if is it true but why sell at the first bit, I say sell ASAP but not cheap. Let's see how this develops.
Agree.

If multiple clubs are interested, why accept the first offer?

Lowton_Red

Sure, but one of Moreno's biggest weaknesses is in the air, to go along with his complete absence of focus, lack of right foot and overall lack of footballing ability. I can't see how a fullback who is as tall as Lovren could be a Moreno mk2.

There's also a huge difference between those comments Lusby made and Moreno's level. To say Moreno is 'not the most focused' would be akin to saying Josef Fritzl wasn't a great father. I can't recall ever seeing Ghoulam play so I can't comment on how good he is myself.
I've not seen Ghoulam play either - which is why I was asking a question, rather than making a statement.

NJLFCJake

If multiple clubs are interested does that mean we should just wait on Moreno and give him the chance to develop into a Marcelo :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.