Alberto Moreno (LB) to Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elessar

Milner for example is average in the attacking half. He is much better in the defensive half. We need a better left back than him because he don't fit our attacking system. We need a left back that is better in the attacking half.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
I'm hoping that Moreno stays. Seriously.

Put it this way if we don't bring in another midfielder than Milner plays more in CM, which I'm not a fan of btw, then we have just Robertson so Moreno is required to give our options competition and an case of emergency option. Besides he's looked much better this summer in the preseason games both in attacking areas and his defending looks better of course we won't know if that's really gotten better until the proper games start up again.

That said I do hope we buy another CM and if we do then we can sell Moreno and bring Milner back to LB.

Elessar

I would also point out that Moreno have made some excellent tackles in the last few games. He hasn't left a lot of space behind him. He also made some good blocks and some good interceptions.

We had to defend a lot in the games. The pressing game is a big part of the defending game. Our pressing game worked excellent and Moreno is a part of that. To say that we didn't need to defend is simply not true.

One of the big reasons to why Barcelona was excellent a few years ago is the pressing game. They had maybe the best pressing game ever. That means that they had one of the best defenses ever.

The pressing game is key if you want to have a good defense. It is more important than having players that is great tacklers.

Elessar

We need a left back that is better in the attacking half because it would suit our system better than one that is better in the defensive half.

We need a Moreno that is good in the pressing game.

According to Klopp recent comments, seems like Moreno and Robertson is Klopp LB and Milner as a replacement for Naby Keita. What's your opinion guys?
I doubt that. More like a temporary solution to cover the injury to Lallana. Not ideal, I guess, but I don't have a problem with it. A pretty logical solution.

I'm not sure there is a replacement for Keita, in terms of skill set. I think Klopp wants him because he's a really good player who would fit seamlessly into our style, rather than because he desperately wants a midfielder. Lallana's injury could possibly change things; but then again, do you enter the market just because a player is out for a couple of months, or do you solve it internally..?

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
I doubt that. More like a temporary solution to cover the injury to Lallana. Not ideal, I guess, but I don't have a problem with it. A pretty logical solution.

I'm not sure there is a replacement for Keita, in terms of skill set. I think Klopp wants him because he's a really good player who would fit seamlessly into our style, rather than because he desperately wants a midfielder. Lallana's injury could possibly change things; but then again, do you enter the market just because a player is out for a couple of months, or do you solve it internally..?

Rather see Woodburn and Grujic get some of the games that Lallana would have gotten, not Milner.

Rather see Woodburn and Grujic get some of the games that Lallana would have gotten, not Milner.
I don't think Milner will be the direct replacement. I think he remains first choice left back, and then is an option in midfield. Basically takes Lallana's spot in the squad, but not in the pecking order. You'd think some combination of Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can and Coutinho will be the starting trio against Watford, with Milner at left back.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I think Klopp is making more of Moreno's performances because a sale is actually quite close. Don't think he is staying. Just a sales pitch. Still expecting Milner and Robertson to be first and second choice LBs. What I would say however is bringing in Robertson as a usable choice at LB gives us the ability to deploy Milner at RB, CM or AM if we need to....IF! And it's a big if. Think we'd need to either have an injury crises at a position or a shocking loss of form combined with an injury or two to see Milner spend more than 2/3 games in a row in a position other than LB. I think we are much more likely to see the likes of Woodburn benefit from the odd game here and there in the case of injuries.

YeGra

I wonder if Klopp actually likes Moreno but realised he needed a year of dedicated training to get him up to speed...

Nothing surprises me anymore so I wouldn't be surprised about whatever happens in the next three weeks of the transfer window.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
What I am saying is that you won't find many left or right backs that is good in both the attacking and defensive half. Many of the top class left/right backs is much better in the attacking half.
This is true. Find a lad who is brilliant defensively, and equally brilliant going forwards, and you've got probably the best full back in the world.

I've always been open to keeping Alby, because he is quick as fuck, and pace is one of the most underrated attributes in the game. Especially for a team like us, which thrives in quick transitions. Although I was thinking retrain him as a left winger, rather than use him in defence.

YeGra

This is true. Find a lad who is brilliant defensively, and equally brilliant going forwards, and you've got probably the best full back in the world.

I've always been open to keeping Alby, because he is quick as fuck, and pace is one of the most underrated attributes in the game. Especially for a team like us, which thrives in quick transitions. Although I was thinking retrain him as a left winger, rather than use him in defence.

I think the winger idea is an excellent shout.

I do think keeping Milner at left back...while it is "okay", it doesn't exactly scream "challenging for the title" when you've got a make-do left back. If he does sort out his defensive aspect of the game, then he will be a great addition to the team. However, I won't get my hopes up after a couple of impressive pre-season games.

Lahoryred

The way i see it, everyone needs friends to be with when players are not playing or training. From what i have noted moreno seems to be very good mates with coutinho along with firmino off the pitch. For that reason alone I would keep him to keep coutinho happy, plus I think he is also good squad player.:well done:

Kopstar

★★★★★
I definitely overate Moreno. I acknowledge that because I think he's better than those whose opinions about football players I trust above my own! @ILLOK, for example, is a poster whose views on football players I value. @Limiescouse is another and both of them think Moreno is garbage.

I'd still keep him though. He's better than any left back coming through our academy and we're going to need more than Robertson and Milner (and possibly Clyne) as options on the left side or even on the left of midfield if we were to play 3 at the back. If we signed VvD I would not be at all surprised to see us play a back three in certain situations and depending on whether we had an injury crisis in midfield. Lallana's already out for a few months lets remember. Imagine if Hendo had a recurring issue and Mane/Salah were out or in need of rest. Playing 3 at the back (were VvD to sign) would make sense:

Firmino......Sturridge

Moreno.......Coutinho.....Can....Wijnaldum......Mane

Lovren..........VvD.........Matip

Mignolet​

Limiescouse

@Limiescouse[/USER] is another and both of them think Moreno is garbage.
My opinions are very much shaped, for the better or worse, by my own experiences. And to to that end, I found it impossible to play with someone you couldnt predict if they were some who had defensive responsibility. I would much rather play with a lesser player who was reliable, than someone who could be superb for the majority of the game and then just do something inexplicably shit and end up screwing you. You can accommodate the former. If you know their RW has the beating of your LB you can set up to make sure he has help and isnt isolated. You can get one of your CMs to be more conservative and drop over to give him help. You can double up with another LB in front of him. You can pinch your entire side over and try and try and encourage them to play on the other side. You can play 3CBs, this putting someone else in the vicinity should the LB get beaten. What can you do when you have a player who has the beating of their guy all of a sudden shit the bed? Absolutely nothing. The psychological impact of conceding a goal like that is also far bigger than when you simply got beaten by some good attacking football.

It's one of teh reasons I've never rated Loris. He makes nice saves, and then does something that totally undoes all his good work with one act of idiocy, and it's just thoroughly deflating.

Last edited:

RedSeven

On the one road
I definitely overate Moreno. I acknowledge that because I think he's better than those whose opinions about football players I trust above my own! @ILLOK, for example, is a poster whose views on football players I value. @Limiescouse is another and both of them think Moreno is garbage.

I'd still keep him though. He's better than any left back coming through our academy and we're going to need more than Robertson and Milner (and possibly Clyne) as options on the left side or even on the left of midfield if we were to play 3 at the back. If we signed VvD I would not be at all surprised to see us play a back three in certain situations and depending on whether we had an injury crisis in midfield. Lallana's already out for a few months lets remember. Imagine if Hendo had a recurring issue and Mane/Salah were out or in need of rest. Playing 3 at the back (were VvD to sign) would make sense:

Firmino......Sturridge

Moreno.......Coutinho.....Can....Wijnaldum......Mane

Lovren..........VvD.........Matip

Mignolet​
Who's this um guy and why is Mane playing in what seems to be the holding midfield role

Lynch04

TIA New Signing
The way i see it, everyone needs friends to be with when players are not playing or training. From what i have noted moreno seems to be very good mates with coutinho along with firmino off the pitch. For that reason alone I would keep him to keep coutinho happy, plus I think he is also good squad player.:well done:
This is a very good point, which i completely agree with. With Moreno I am at the point where every time i see his smug face i get angry and have the urge to throw things.
I would be here all night listing his errors. The lad just doesnt know how to play football, his positional sense and rash decisions expose the rest of the team.
But, every squad needs players that knit the team together. I would happily keep him for this reason. However, only on the basis that he never sets foot on the football pitch!

Elessar

One of the big reasons to why Mane got a lot more space in the attacking half is Moreno. It is easy to forget that his many attacking runs means that the opposition must concentrate on both him and Mane and not only Mane.

Mane know that Moreno make those runs and because of that can cut inside more often. He don't need to create the width himself. Moreno takes care of that.

I have no idea why we didn't except that bid from Napoli. Wasn't it 10 million? Robertson, Milner and Gomez are better options at LB.

Elessar

I have no idea why we didn't except that bid from Napoli. Wasn't it 10 million? Robertson, Milner and Gomez are better options at LB.
In your opinion. Klopp clearly thinks that Moreno is a better option than Milner/Gomez. We will have to wait and see if Moreno keeps his place when Robertson is ready to play.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Structure of bid probably also club thought it could get a bit more perhaps. We don't know how many clubs were showing an interest.

In your opinion. Klopp clearly thinks that Moreno is a better option than Milner/Gomez. We will have to wait and see if Moreno keeps his place when Robertson is ready to play.
Milner is clearly better than him...and if Gomez isn't then what's the point of keeping him either for goodness sake. Gomez IS better than him btw. Moreno is terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedSeven

On the one road
Milner is clearly better than him...and if Gomez isn't then what's the point of keeping him either for goodness sake. Gomez IS better than him btw. Moreno is terrible.
Moreno is a terrible leftback, as a wingback with a dedicated back 3 to cover for him he could be useful.

Elessar

You do know that Gomez is a central defender?

It is still only your opinion. Klopp must clearly be a idiot that plays Moreno as left back according to you. IMO he want more players inside the attacking box and if you play with left backs and right backs like Moreno and TAA that make many attacking runs then you get at least one more player in the box.

Milner slows down our play a lot when he play left back by the way. The reason is that he isn't as quick as Moreno and don't make as many attacking runs than him.

You do know that Gomez is a central defender?

It is still only your opinion. Klopp must clearly be a idiot that plays Moreno as left back according to you. IMO he want more players inside the attacking box and if you play with left backs and right backs like Moreno and TAA that make many attacking runs then you get at least one more player in the box.

Milner slows down our play a lot when he play left back by the way. The reason is that he isn't as quick as Moreno and don't make as many attacking runs than him.
Calm down precious, would never suggest that Klopp is an idiot ffs. Moreno isn't good enough. Are you his brother? The guy is a liability that shouldn't still at the club.

I know Gomez is a CB but he has featured at fullback(albeit left back) before and after his injury.
These attacking runs that you mentioned are exactly the problem. He leaves huge gaps and causes our defence major headaches. We need a smarter LB with a good football brain. Moreno isn't and doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.