Alberto Moreno (LB) to Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Thurgood

I think Gomez played RB at Charlton before we signed him? Klopp has also indicated this summer that he is an option there for us too.
He was at RB at Charlton, Brendan put him LB for us, he's a good utility defender to have, someone who can play everywhere along the back line depending on formations is more than useful.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Moreno has done well to still be here.

Will this be the window that see's him moved on or will he stay for another year?

Mark Thurgood

It certainly says a lot about Moreno when a midfielder was playing him out of position to also stay ahead of him in the pecking order.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I don't see if Klopp sees much in him as a LB, he may remain around but with Milner potentially playing less games in midfield and being ample cover for Robertson I'd rather see him move on.
Yeah I've changed my stance with Fabinho arriving. Less chance of Milner playing CM than when it seemed we might just be going with Gini backing up Henderson. So Milner may need to play LB sometimes if he wants to get on the pitch. Clyne and Gomez are both options at LB too and Fabinho is a good RB choice freeing them up a bit more. Robertson probably bit more established now than when I thought we should keep Moreno too. Plenty of cover options and an extremely strong starter so probably is safe to sell him. Next year is his final year too. So might not get much but it frees up some wages for new guys and contract extensions.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
So Milner may need to play LB sometimes if he wants to get on the pitch
Klopp spoke about this last season, and it's not how it works.

Milner was training as a midfielder last year, and therefore was not available as a fullback. I don't think he can just drop in at left back for the odd game.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Although I'm not a big fan of Moreno I'm not into this idea of playing Gomez, Clyne or Milner there with the idea of selling him. Moreno offers the pace and width that they don't. His performances in 17/18 don't merit him being binned off for those 3 above.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
If he wants to stay, keep him on. Full-back is not an emergency position anymore, thanks to Trent's, Robertson's and Gomez' emergence.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Klopp spoke about this last season, and it's how it works.

Milner was training as a midfielder last year, and therefore was not available as a fullback. I don't think he can just drop in at left back for the odd game.
As I see it as long as we have two out of Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Clyne and Gomez available nobody else would need to play LB. Next cover would be Fabinho playing full back.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
TBH if he is entering the last 12 months of his contract, then we're at the point of either needing to offer him a new contract or write off the £15m or whatever we might get for him in order to have him sitting on the bench most of next season.

With Fabinho in place at add even more cover at RB, I think I'm now fully on board with the idea of letting Clyne compete with Robbo on the left, with TAA, Gomez and Fabinho available for the RB berth and shift Moreno on. It sounds like we've got at least one promising LB coming through the ranks (Lewis?) so in another 12 months maybe he'll be in a position to cover for Robbo and we take a look at Clyne's role in the squad come summer 2019.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
TBH if he is entering the last 12 months of his contract, then we're at the point of either needing to offer him a new contract or write off the £15m or whatever we might get for him in order to have him sitting on the bench most of next season.

With Fabinho in place at add even more cover at RB, I think I'm now fully on board with the idea of letting Clyne compete with Robbo on the left, with TAA, Gomez and Fabinho available for the RB berth and shift Moreno on. It sounds like we've got at least one promising LB coming through the ranks (Lewis?) so in another 12 months maybe he'll be in a position to cover for Robbo and we take a look at Clyne's role in the squad come summer 2019.
In which case we're looking at:

RB: Trent and Gomez, with Fabinho in an emergency
LB: Robertson and Clyne, with Milner in an emergency.

That would probably be OK. But you've got to sell Gomez the idea of spending another season deputising Trent (arguably a step back for him) when he wants to be a centre back, and you've got to sell Clyne the prospect of backing up Robertson (definitely a step down) when he'll be wanting to re-establish himself in his chosen position, for club and country.

I'm all for it if you can get those lads to buy in, but I don't think that's a given.

There is equally an argument for keeping Moreno and moving on Clyne - it would at least keep the balance of right footers on the right and left footers on the left.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren

That would probably be OK. But you've got to sell Gomez the idea of spending another season deputising Trent (arguably a step back for him) when he wants to be a centre back, and you've got to sell Clyne the prospect of backing up Robertson (definitely a step down) when he'll be wanting to re-establish himself in his chosen position, for club and country.

I'm all for it if you can get those lads to buy in, but I don't think that's a given.

There is equally an argument for keeping Moreno and moving on Clyne - it would at least keep the balance of right footers on the right and left footers on the left.
This is only my opinion, but I would say Gomez would go with it - while he may aspire to play CB the reality is nearly all of his club football has been played at RB and at CB he'll be, at best 4th choice next season, while at RB he'll probably see the equivalent of half a season of first-team action. For a lad his age that's significant.

Clyne might be a harder sell, but if Klopp could convince Milner to play there for a whole season, he could probably be convinced on the basis that he's now 2nd choice anyway on the right and will still play a good number of games.

I think Moreno's contract entering it's last year is a big factor. Do we really want to give him a new deal? Or would the money we'd get for him now vs losing him for free help us bring in the goalie we want?

Clyne's deal apparently runs for a further year (summer 2020).

Limiescouse

None of Gomez, TAA or Clyne are going to go into the season believing they are deputizing for anyone. Klopp has shown that if you play well you get your games, and so if he keeps Clyne around it will be because he is giving the chance to win his spot. And as much as we've got behind our new young RBs, with Clyne back to full fitness (hopefully) it is perfectly reasonable to imagine he wins that 3 way battle. And if he doesn't it isn't because that decision has already been made on the pecking order.

The argument for keeping Moreno and selling Clyne is viable only if you ignore that one is a good player and the other just isn't. Moreno has frequently failed to be the best left back at a club that only had one left back.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

Clyne is going to have to add a serious amount to his attacking game if he is going to dislodge Trent now.
I don't agree with the premise that TAA is the incumbent. He was used in rotation with Gomez while both were fit with little indication of which one Klopp preferred, and ended the season as the man with the shirt because he as the last man standing. It is role 100% up for grabs next season.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I don't agree with the premise that TAA is the incumbent. He was used in rotation with Gomez while both were fit with little indication of which one Klopp preferred, and ended the season as the man with the shirt because he as the last man standing. It is role 100% up for grabs next season.
Only my opinion this but going to have to disagree. It started out that way and I agree some with the circumstances of few alternatives, but even taking those into account I think Trent has progressed so far so quickly Klopp will see him as the no1 for the position, much as Robbo made LB his own when an injury to the incumbent offered him a shot.

King Kev

I do not mind Moreno as back-up for Robertson. There will be some rotation there. Moreno was alright as first choice for us there until midway of last season when he got injured. He was the least of our problems (except for one poor game at Sevilla). Rather him there than Clyne as LB.

It's a squad's game these days and it will be good if he renews and do the job there along with Robertson.

redharel

Banned Users
Any penny we can get selling him will be a blessing. Anyway with any transfer free/free transfer, he should be out.
Not good as a cover up and certainly not in the line-up

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Please no Clyne or Gomez as backup LB next season, we're not a poor club that needs to do these things. They're simply different to what Robbo provides and this is not a computer game where you can just throw players anywhere on the pitch and get more or less the same stuff. Rather keep Moreno for another season then (especially with our lack of options in front, in Mane's position), even if I'm not a fan and that could mean he gets a relatively short extension. With Moreno it depends on what we can get for him now + especially what we can quickly get in, as it's not an easy position to solve. Klopp obviously feels he's done alright before Robbo got his chance which is true, but he maybe also likes his personality as a backup, someone who gets on with it (even if he's not quite good enough long term).

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
The situation of both Moreno and Clyne will be an interesting one over the summer.

Moreno started last season as the presumptive starting LB, and actually performed pretty well until Robertson got a look in, but now it’s clear that Robertson is 1 and Moreno is 2. But, as a 2nd choice LB, Moreno would be one of the better/best backup options at that position in the league.

Clyne had been our starting RB for years, and would’ve been to start last season if not for injury. While Gomez and TAA initially split those duties, and at first it wasn’t clear who the winner of the Trent-Gomez competition would be, by the end of the season I do think it’s only fair to say that, especially with his performances in the CL, Trent made the position his own, and even impressed so much that he got a call up for the WC. Going into next season, I’d expect a situation of Trent as 1A and Clyne as 1B. I say this for a few reasons. While I think Trent is our future at RB, he’s still very young, still has a few mistakes and wrinkles in him to iron out, and, perhaps most importantly, he’s put in a lot of minutes and miles on those legs, especially at the tail end of the season where he was playing virtually every game, often 2 per week, and he’s not going to get much of a summer break with his involvement in the WC squad. So, I could definitely see a rotation at RB, especially when we have midweek games. Gomez is still there as an option, once back from injury, but his long term future is at CB, and hopefully we’ll see him starting to get a few games there in our less vital matches (early round League and FA Cup, etc).

In emergencies, Clyne and Klavan can play at LB (don’t really see Milner going back there again), and Gomez and Fabinho at RB.

I think it all comes down to how Moreno and Clyne respond to the prospect of being backups, and of Klopp’s man management of them both. Both seem to be well liked at the club and among the squad. If they’re both happy, and any winding down of contract situations can be dealt with, then I’d keep both. This is the strongest we’ve been at the fullback position in many a year. If either decides they need more assurances of playing time, then sell, as we don’t need any unhappy players at the club, and I’d expect either to have a decent number of suitors as either could start for a fair percentage of clubs in England or across Europe.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Moreno will stay one more year until Arroyo gets his VISA cleared after 18months on loan at Mallorca.

I still think Moreno would make a decent winger if he could sort his feet out.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
in the pre season when Gomez first arrive Im pretty sure his first games were friendlies and Rodgers played him at LB, and he looked good.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Moreno will stay one more year until Arroyo gets his VISA cleared after 18months on loan at Mallorca.

I still think Moreno would make a decent winger if he could sort his feet out.
Or Tony Gallagher emulates Robbo, actually Adam Lewis looks set to follow the Trent route for our left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.