Alex Oxlade Chamberlain (RW, CM) Arsenal

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill - Transfer Talk' started by jgw_geneseo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

Lallana just turned 29, he's only got 2-3 more years (at the top) in him I reckon.. Ox could easily rotate with him in that advanced central midfielder role (not attacking mid mind) and get 30+ games next season with the intention to slowly supplant Lallana long term etc. By the time Lallana is 32, Ox is 26 and hitting his prime etc.

Alright Now likes this.
  2. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Mane rarely crosses the ball, so could be very very effective in the inverted LW position. I would be interested to see what we would look like with him left and Ox right in a situation in which we moved Phil in as a number 10.

3. NJLFCJake

NJLFCJake Well-Known Member

RIP Hamstring

Krimson and redfanman like this.
  4. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

ffs, nevermind.

redfanman likes this.
  5. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Ha, yep. Was just coming here to say the same thing. It was a completely nothing incident that made him go down.

redfanman likes this.
  6. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

Fake pull of the hammy. Not what we discussed but brilliantly improvised.

7. Krimson

Krimson • Supermané •

With no more playing time to come this season, here's hoping his focus will be on signing that new contract ASAP.

8. Lynch04

Lynch04 TIA New Signing

I actually disagree with the point about Lallana. I think technically he is one of the best. I think in his later years he could play a deeper role, maybe even as a dm. I dont see him spraying Alonso esq passes but more an xavi type role. Breaking up play, creating space and short/quick passes

9. RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke Wind-Down Merchant

According to some sources Wenger has revealed, that it's only a "tight" hamstring.
    Ox hasn't been ruled out for the FA cup final yet.

legalalien likes this.
  10. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

I still think that if we sign him then he will be our new right back replacing Clyne in the starting XI. He played in that position a few times he last few months when Wenger played a back three.

boston red likes this.
  11. Iluvatar

Iluvatar Eru

TAA says hello.

rupzzz, Bodger, Livvy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

We were linked before that though. I think he's an option for the type of box to box player Klopp likes. Shares a lot of similarities in style with Wijnaldum. In my opinion. Could be being viewed as an option for Lallana's CAM role too/instead but just don't see his skill set as matching as well as it does with Wijnaldum.

13. RaoulDuke

Don't worry, it wasn't that bad ;-)

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-could-be-fit-to-face-chelsea-in-fa-cup-final

14. RaoulDuke

According to the express we are leading the race to sign him and have made an approach.
    But that's hardly a reliable source.

15. Bodger

Bodger Well-Known Member

always rated Ox tbf- he's always put in good performances for England and imo better than the likes of sterling and Walcott. Strong and lightning fast- needs a better end product but hopefully that comes with time. Anything up to 20 million I'd be happy with, anything else would constitute overpaying

16. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

From a squad-building point of view he makes a lot of sense as he can play near-anywhere bar keeper. I'm also encouraged that he has remained fit this season, so hopefully the prior issues he's had aren't chronic.

If he was our primary wide-forward signing I'd be disappointed, but if we signed a Brandt or a Salah in addition, then would be pretty happy with our options.

17. shankly96

shankly96 I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like

I like him. He's versatile. He puts a shift a in. He's a decent footballer. Always seems to be one of Arsenal's better players when he plays buy doesn't play very often. I'd be happy with him. Reckon he'd be somewhere in the 20-30 mil bracket

Alright Now likes this.
  18. JustHitMyHead

JustHitMyHead TIA Reserve Team

But I assume you also want a striker and Keita as well? Given those additions, I don't think he would come as a second wide-forward signing but likely as a replacement for Brandt or Salah given the price.

19. Zinedine Biscan

I think we'll just have to wait and see. Even if we did sign those other players as well I think we'd get value from adding someone of his versatility to the squad... frees up so many options and possible formations (maybe aiding a switch to three at the back when needed?)

20. The Elusive 19th

The Elusive 19th TIA Youth Team

Lets hope he doesn't replace sturridge's place in the treatment room.

Whats the price? Last year in contract - should be probably 15m.

21. Drubas

Drubas Well-Known Member

I second that. Lallana is not great due to his acceleration or pace - the two things that will diminish as you grow older. Lallana has great movement, great stamina, great technique and is just an all round awesome footballer. I think he will be able to contribute in his current role for at least 3-4 years.

Reading articles about Grujic, and looking at how well Wijnaldum and Can has performed as of late, I'm not so sure that Klopp will make any major investments in the inner midfield. With Henderson returning and Coutinho stepping down into central midfield, we are fairly crowded in the middle.

I think we are primarily looking for fast, pacey wingers that can play wide. Preferably on both wings. I can absolutely see why we would scout Ox. He can play both wings, has good work rate, has decent pace and can play wide as well and step inside of his defender.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Lynch04 likes this.
  22. eng.amohd

eng.amohd The false nine

I think if Lallana has a wide range of passing, then he'd excel in a Pirlo role. Just a deep playmaker between the defence and midfield, with no defensive duties.

23. JustHitMyHead

JustHitMyHead TIA Reserve Team

Agree with the options and possibilities and also like Ox as a player. Although as fans, I believe our ambitions in the transfer market always have a way of eclipsing our transfer budget no matter how much higher it is.

VVD + Keita = £100m to £110m in spending
    A top striker would add another £50m or so
    Sessegnon ~£15m
    Brandt or Salah = £30m or £50m
    That would be £195m to £225m before Ox

The most optimistic predictions are for £200m (gross) spend thus I think our budget would be pretty much spent. I would love him as a depth player rather than a replacement for one of the above... but I doubt we will be successful with all or many of those targets. And I believe he is probably a plan B

I hope you are right but doubt it.

24. nikz200

nikz200 Active Member

At best Ox is a step in for Mane, and also superiorly injury prone at the moment. I think he is a decent squad player but not worth over paying for. There are other targets out there we can look at. I think also it depends on the positional needs of our current squad. We are horrificly understaffed up front and at the wings. Midfield in the centre seems to be ok but for years now we have cried out for a DM and that might be whats up with the whole Keita situation. In terms of need OX fits our need as a back up winger and thats the best we can do for him .

25. Kaliberbeats

Kaliberbeats Well-Known Member

Ox also comes with a UK passport which we will need if we let Sturridge go.

26. big noyd

big noyd Well-Known Member

klopp talked fairly extensively about playing coutinho in midfield next season, and the incredible shrinking war chest is already down to 120 mil or so. koulibaly would hardly be any cheaper than van dijk, and there's a premium on goal scorers. hard to imagine fsg shelling out for a lovren replacement, an accomplished forward, and keita

if they're really serious this time and make two big signings, ox's versatility would help them stretch the remaining funds. another rotational option in central midfield & out wide, and from what i've seen he presents at least a passable imitation of mane's strength/pace dribbling, which was sorely missed in january

27. Keeno

Keeno TIA New Signing

Where was information given on how much we have to spend this summer and that it has shrunk?

28. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Klopp never said that Coutinho would feature regularly there, only that he would play some games. It is entirely feasible that he continues on the left of the 3 for the main part of the season.

Scott Jones and Zinedine Biscan like this.
  29. redfanman

redfanman TIA Regular Valued Member

Have you seen the size of the new pound coins?;-)

SoueysTash and legalalien like this.
  30. Zinedine Biscan

Yes... I wouldn't be surprised if it has now become the Plan A for the park the bus types, particularly at home, and at least some of our recruitment is going to be based around giving us the options to do that as and when required. Really interested actually to see who we end up signing.

legalalien, redfanman and Scott Jones like this.