• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Alex Pearce (CB) - Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGrewUpToBarnes

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
379
Liverpool have stepped up their pursuit of Reading defender Alex Pearce.
Pearce is out of contract in the summer and was last week seen with the club's managing director Ian Ayre in plush Mayfair hotspot Novikov – as our exclusive picture reveals.

The meeting fuels growing speculation that Pearce could be set for a reunion with former boss Brendan Rodgers... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2333884/Liverpool-chief-meets-Reading-defender-Alex-Pearce-London-hotel-EXCLUSIVE.html

Anyone been watching him?
 


RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
11,649
No ta. No more dreck

He's really pretty crap. Would only be here due to being cheap. Saw with Assaidi that cost should not determine a signing as a primary factor. For me if we do this it would be bloody obvious. Though am sure he won't be first choice, we don't need to get rid of duffers only to replace them with more duffers
 

LiVeRp0oL89

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
3,415
I don't want to hear about us signing an out of fucking contract Reading defender when our star player is wanting out. It's like we're being forced into mid table mediocrity for fucks sake. Not happy right now.
 



legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Joined
Oct 23, 2010
Messages
8,816
Sigh ...

Toure I could understand although not entirely agree with due to his physical condition but this ....are we sure Hodgson has left the club?
 

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
565
LiVeRp0oL89 said:
I don't want to hear about us signing an out of fucking contract Reading defender when our star player is wanting out. It's like we're being forced into mid table mediocrity for fucks sake. Not happy right now.
Well thats Suarez's fault then.

The club has done everything to support him and nothing is bigger than the club. Pearce for free saves us some quid to buy a better Suarez then.
 

LiVeRp0oL89

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
3,415
lougehrig said:
Well thats Suarez's fault then.

The club has done everything to support him and nothing is bigger than the club. Pearce for free saves us some quid to buy a better Suarez then.
We don't need to sacrifice the quality of our defence for a little extra money for attackers. The £40 - £50 million from Suarez only will get us two of the best quality attacking players we can realistically get right now. With the money from other player sales and from the owners, i'm sure we'll have money left to get Papa and another decent centre back, certainly a better one than Pearce.
 

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
5,804
Players out of contract are usually so for a reason, and that's because their parent club don't want them.

Let me see, an unwanted Reading player? I'll give this one a miss I'm thinking.
 



lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
565
LiVeRp0oL89 said:
We don't need to sacrifice the quality of our defence for a little extra money for attackers. The £40 - £50 million from Suarez only will get us two of the best quality attacking players we can realistically get right now. With the money from other player sales and from the owners, i'm sure we'll have money left to get Papa and another decent centre back, certainly a better one than Pearce.
.

I'd imagine Pearce would be 4th or 5th choice. Give competiton to emerging guys like Kelly and Wisdom. Of course we still need Papa.

Really allows us to rid of Coates & Skrtel who is on higher wages anyways. I'd rather have 20M + Pearce than Skrtel & Seb anyday.
 

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
7,464
Daily Mail. No quotes.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say its just a rehashing of an old rumor.
 

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
565
EdWood said:
Players out of contract are usually so for a reason, and that's because their parent club don't want them.

Let me see, an unwanted Reading player? I'll give this one a miss I'm thinking.
Or if players are Prem quality and their team gets relegated then the player wants to stay in then prem.
 

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
11,649
lougehrig said:
Well thats Suarez's fault then.
The club has done everything to support him and nothing is bigger than the club. Pearce for free saves us some quid to buy a better Suarez then.
Every time I spot that crappy cliche I will repeat the same point. It only means anything if we dictate the situation and/or players don't leave us to have a better chance of winning things. Neither is happening in this affair

This is not 1985. It really doesn't mean anything any more with this club and won't until we become a higher achieving club than the star players new club happens to be. It used to be that when players left here it was for lesser things. Not any more. So it's a cliche that now belongs in the dustbin of history. The medal collection of Xabi Alonso and sadly despite his average form Fernando Torres is a stark contrast to our own for example since he left

On this bogging idea, hope it's old news because reading dumped him out of their squad in the last 3rd of the season. If he was too good for them not to use they would have used him as a club threatened with relegation, even if he wanted to go. But they didnt. Avoid like the plague
 

LiVeRp0oL89

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
3,415
lougehrig said:
.

I'd imagine Pearce would be 4th or 5th choice. Give competiton to emerging guys like Kelly and Wisdom. Of course we still need Papa.

Really allows us to rid of Coates & Skrtel who is on higher wages anyways. I'd rather have 20M + Pearce than Skrtel & Seb anyday.
Yes but it's more average crap that we are filling the squad with.. the kind that everyone will want gone by next summer. Toure isn't that great anymore but he was signed to play a specific role. There is no point in even paying the wages for someone like Pearce who is 24, to compete with Kelly and Wisdom, I mean really? For one, they have each other to compete with and secondly, they need to be aiming to take the spots of higher calibre players like Agger and hopefully Papa, not aiming overtake Pearce as 3rd/4th choice. Its a completely pointless signing, we should know this.
 



Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Messages
18,093
Media still linking him to us? Thought the club said there was nothing in it.
 

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
5,804
lougehrig said:
Or if players are Prem quality and their team gets relegated then the player wants to stay in then prem.
Forget so called Prem quality, we're talking about LFC quality in this thread. Anyway this guy is more like Championship quality imo. We need better quality players arriving to take us forward, not more bench warmers clogging up the wage bill.

And I did say 'usually' did I not?
 

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Moderator
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
7,155
Haven't seen much of him, but his stats don't fill me with confidence.

(% = number of those attempts that were successful)

Skrtel (25 games) vs Pearce (19 games)
Tackles - 34 (85%) vs 15 (73%)
Headers - 103 (70%) vs 113 (59%)
Clearences 169 vs 177
Interceptions - 39 vs 22
Blocks - 25 vs 20
Passing 90% vs 69%
Average pass length 20 vs 24M

Squawka awards - Pearce
Best man in possession 1x
Worst man in team 2x
Worst man in match 3x
Worst player in defense 1x
Worst attack 2x

Squawka awards - Skrtel
Top man in team 1x
Best possession 7x
Worst attack 2x
 
  • Like
Reactions: TFC

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
2,739
lougehrig said:
Another free transfer. Who can complain too much?
At some point in this transfer window are you going to start giving a crap about the quality of players we end up with or is your sole hope for the Club this summer to sign players as cheaply as possible and happily sell our expensive (and best) player(s)?

I've been reading through your comments recently and you don't actually seem to care if a player is quality or not.
 



lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
565
schmee said:
I've been reading through your comments recently and you don't actually seem to care if a player is quality or not.
Since you've taken a personal interest in my post, I'll respond directly to your moronic analysis of my comments.

We are not a top 5 for many reasons.
1. Our top 11 isn't good enough. Of course losing Suarez hurts but bringing in a stud like Papa and a few others with world class potential like Eriksen are what we need. We have to pick and choose our big name signings carefully because of limited money.

2. Our depth and squad competiton are crap. Playing unproven guys like Shelvey, Wisdom, Suso and 17 year old Sterling (and starting mediocre Downing) in Prem games because we have no depth or alternative is a killer. We had to turn to a retiring player to play big minutes all season because Skrtel was poor and Coates was unuseable. We had no alternative.

Certainly Pearce is better than Coates. Man City have guys like Kolarov, Richards, Dzeko, Lescott, Maicon, Rodwell on their bench. This is why they are better than we are.

So too many people have unrealistic expectations of how the squad should be built. We have to build depth and competiton. Thats why we've signed Toure and Aspas. Everybody just wants "big name" signings just to brag.

Yeah Suarez is great but you do realize he's going to miss 17% of the season from the start. That's 18 points. That's the difference between 2nd and 7th place in the Prem.

So what's your plan? Spend all the money on 20M pound signings? And when they have a knock, we'll play inexperienced youngsters in critical Prem games?
 

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Moderator
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
7,155
To be honest I think most fans would consider him a down grade on Coates or youngsters. When you only have played 19 games and a 1/4 of those your either the worst player on the pitch or in your team (according to Sqwaka). Its a very real question of if he is an upgrade or will he simply a stop-gap who prevents the progression of Wisdom or Kelly.

Personally I would much rather give our youngsters a chance.
 

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Joined
Aug 15, 2010
Messages
2,857
lougehrig said:
Certainly Pearce is better than Coates.
This statement invalidates any opinion you may have. Seba is 5x the player pearce is. If we offered reading a straight swap, they would bit our fucking hand off. A copa america winner, primera division (Uruguay) winner. Potential future Uruguayan captain. 10 times capped at age 22. Played against the top players from south america.

And Pearce played for ROI once. And got dropped by reading mid season.

I know who'd I'd choose.
 

SF Red

TIA Regular
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
2,679
I think the Pearce signing could have made some sense if we were not going to sign Kolo Toure. Having both makes little sense IMO (unless the club does plan in loaning out Kelly and Wisdom - which I can't see happening).
 

Watchman

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2012
Messages
65
Never Say Never said:
This statement invalidates any opinion you may have. Seba is 5x the player pearce is. If we offered reading a straight swap, they would bit our fucking hand off. A copa america winner, primera division (Uruguay) winner. Potential future Uruguayan captain. 10 times capped at age 22. Played against the top players from south america.

And Pearce played for ROI once. And got dropped by reading mid season.

I know who'd I'd choose.
This is dead right.

If we let Coates go, we'll regret it. He's never had a real run, although I admit he has looked less than impressive sometimes. But I'm sure the talent is there to be tapped, unlike this guy Pearce. It's a scandal we are even looking at him.
 



schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
2,739
lougehrig said:
Since you've taken a personal interest in my post, I'll respond directly to your moronic analysis of my comments.

We are not a top 5 for many reasons.
1. Our top 11 isn't good enough. Of course losing Suarez hurts but bringing in a stud like Papa and a few others with world class potential like Eriksen are what we need. We have to pick and choose our big name signings carefully because of limited money.

2. Our depth and squad competiton are crap. Playing unproven guys like Shelvey, Wisdom, Suso and 17 year old Sterling (and starting mediocre Downing) in Prem games because we have no depth or alternative is a killer. We had to turn to a retiring player to play big minutes all season because Skrtel was poor and Coates was unuseable. We had no alternative.

Certainly Pearce is better than Coates. Man City have guys like Kolarov, Richards, Dzeko, Lescott, Maicon, Rodwell on their bench. This is why they are better than we are.

So too many people have unrealistic expectations of how the squad should be built. We have to build depth and competiton. Thats why we've signed Toure and Aspas. Everybody just wants "big name" signings just to brag.

Yeah Suarez is great but you do realize he's going to miss 17% of the season from the start. That's 18 points. That's the difference between 2nd and 7th place in the Prem.

So what's your plan? Spend all the money on 20M pound signings? And when they have a knock, we'll play inexperienced youngsters in critical Prem games?
In my anaysis of the tripe that you post I was trying my best not to say exactly what i think of you. I did my best not to insult. However as you posted the first bolded bit i've quoted i can honestly say that reading through your posts makes you look like an idiot.

I was going to give you a long winded explanation for that but then I read the second bit you wrote that I have put into bold andfigured if you've ideas such as this then the fact you're an idiot needs no further explanation.

What exactly are you basing this on? How is he certainly better than Coates?

All you know of him is that he's on a free- and as I stated in my first post about you that seems to be your main plus point when looking for transfers.

You want someone who wasn't even a regular for a relegated team with one of the worst defences in the league. You've stated earlier that he's a Premiership player who wants to stay in the Premier League. Well the truth is many of that Reading squad weren't Premier League players abilitywise. This should seem obvious since they were relegated due to not being good enough. How the fact that he wasn't even good enough to command a starting spot in that team (contractual issues or not- if he is good enough for us to be chasing now he should have been one of the first names on that teamsheet) means he's better than any of our players in your eyes is truely baffling.

Back to your first post about how could anyone argue against a free transfer.

After some of the shite we've seen come into the Club on free transfers how could we not argue about signing someone simply because they meet your criteria of being free? We tried filling the squad with free transfers who were, at best, limited abilitywise, and it didn't work out at all. It's been over a decade since Gary Mac or Babbell came in on a free and the majority of our frees since have been shocking.

Onto Pearce.

Do I want soeone coming into the squad, even as 4th or 5th choice, simply because they're free? No. I'd much rather use Kelly and Wisdom as 4th or 5th choice. To bring in another player and play him the few times a 5th choice is needed is pointless when we could use younger players in our squad to do exactly the same.

You talk about people only wanting big name signings. I think thats bullshit. I couldn't care less about big name signings. I just don't want the Club to follow your idiotic philosophy of buying anyone or anything that's cheap and then worrying about their ability later.

It's an idiotic idea although to be fair it does sort of suit you.
 

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
6,067
Why does Alex Pearce deserve his own thread? Surely the only reason we're linked with him is that he played for Reading and Rodgers managed them with possible overlapping too.
 
Joined
Feb 22, 2013
Messages
116
Hopefully this a smoke screen for the keeper Alex McCarthy (or similar) looked quite good when he came back from injury towards end of the season. Could certainly look at being the first team keeper within a few seasons.

If it is for Pearce I would be exceedingly underwhelmed. Why not just use Kelly, Wisdom or Coady at the back if you're looking for 4th choice young player?
 

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Moderator
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
7,155
MarlboroMan said:
Why does Alex Pearce deserve his own thread? Surely the only reason we're linked with him is that he played for Reading and Rodgers managed them with possible overlapping too.
Because he has been photographed with Ian Ayre in London

 



Status
Not open for further replies.