• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Alex Pearce (CB) - Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Shanks_For_The_Memories said:
Hopefully this a smoke screen for the keeper Alex McCarthy (or similar) looked quite good when he came back from injury towards end of the season. Could certainly look at being the first team keeper within a few seasons.

If it is for Pearce I would be exceedingly underwhelmed. Why not just use Kelly, Wisdom or Coady at the back if you're looking for 4th choice young player?
Is McCarthy that good? I remember his performance against us but that's just one, we can't be judging him on just one game surely.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
MarlboroMan said:
Is McCarthy that good? I remember his performance against us but that's just one, we can't be judging him on just one game surely.
He looked good against Fulham and someone else he actually impressed me a lot, wouldn't say no to McCarthy I would to Pearce though.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Could this have been taken at any various awards event recently.... If there meeting I would have expect this to have been done by now...

The whole thing seems slightly implausible, the Henry stuff fair enough they were meeting and took a break in the sun with potentially the new manager.

We are for some reason to believe that Ayre went to sign a player and then went for a night on the tiles, could have been taken any time in the last year to be honest.

Oh and they decided to pose for a photo because yeah you would do that if you were trying to sign someone.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
SF Red said:
Is that really him in the picture? He looks like he is 40. And they met in a swanky nightclub?

Seems like BS.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2333884/Liverpool-chief-meets-Reading-defender-Alex-Pearce-London-hotel-EXCLUSIVE.html
In Scotland he would be considered to have a youthful complexion ;)

I am pretty certain it is him. Not sure why they would be having a drink in a night club. Henry takes new managers for ice creams, perhaps Ayre takes new players for a ride on his bike and then a night on the town.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Perhaps they're dating?

Knowing nothing about their personal lives, it may be true?

Regardless, no thanks to this one. I would prefer to see Coates, Kelly, Toure or Wisdom ahead of him on a Liverpool teamsheet.

steve10

TIA New Signing
We are now scrapping the barrel. Lets hope the 2 were meeting for another reason ;)

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Photo's bollocks. Our Ayre head wouldn't be seen in anything as remotely classy as that. Now if he was wearing a tatty old Mr. Men t-shirt he found in the bin, I'd be more inclined to believe it...

Herb

A tweet doing the rounds from a supposed cousin saying that he's joined us...will be utterly underwhelmed if he comes.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Yeah apparently from his cousin, sadly I think this may be the first mistake from the transfer committee, anyone know if he can play as a left back could be the only saving grace.

Ah well I guess if he comes we give him a chance, we certainly need another CB but it's probably just one more now. Maybe Ayre was sent to Reading to get the Alex lad by the committee and the committee meant McCarthy.

It's a nonplus slightly annoying signing for me but as long as this isn't all we are buying for CB's then I will be fine.

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
According to transfermarkt he is right footed. Does anyone know what he would bring that Kelly wouldn't next season?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
kipland007 said:
According to transfermarkt he is right footed. Does anyone know what he would bring that Kelly wouldn't next season?
He's actually played in the premier division at centre back....but yeah bar that I think even Wisdom would be a better option, maybe Kelly is seen as a right back by Rodgers.

I think Kelly would concede as well, we need someone who can step up now and is quality if we hadn't signed Kolo this may have made at least some sense, it makes no sense to me unless we missed something.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
kipland007 said:
Only thing I can think of, is that (according to transfermarkt) he can play as a DM. Maybe we're just looking for a cheap backup for Lucas. Even if thats the case its odd that we'd go for Pearce rather than Iturra.

LiVeRp0oL89

If we sign this guy, i'll actually be pissed. He even looks fucking average! The only message this sends out is that the club has a lack of funds this summer, that's it. Let the mediocrity continue yippy!

RedLaw

JFT96
...and I was looking forward to see Martin Kelly given a chance at center half at some point during next season.

Oh well...

Reactions: TFC

lmkred

TIA Youth Team
Honestly this has to be a joke.. This sort of speculation is laughable and is insulting to the club..

Alex Pearce is a championship centre half at best, although league one would probably be a better fit..

He can't get anywhere near the Rep of Ireland squad, I'm Irish and we're absolutely crying out for new blood and some quality in central defense. He isn't even considered for experimental squads for friendlies.

He must be Ian Ayres nephew or something because there is no way he can be a transfer target..

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Can't see any possible reason for this signing other than being free. Below even average pperformance everytime I've watched him.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
LiVeRp0oL89 said:
If we sign this guy, i'll actually be pissed. He even looks fucking average! The only message this sends out is that the club has a lack of funds this summer, that's it. Let the mediocrity continue yippy!
The only message this sends out is that people over react to every little thing....

IGrewUpToBarnes

TIA Youth Team
The photo makes the story interesting, but, who knows, maybe Pearce and Ayre are just mates?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Oh his cousin who tweeted earlier her congratulations says she hadn't heard anything personally....

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
If it looks like BS, and it sounds like BS...then it is more than likely BS

Why would they be dressed up like that, clearly the picture is the two of them at some event or award dinner thing and someone has grabbed a happy snap. If we where seriously courting him we wouldn't be meeting him at some gala event to discuss his transfer.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
EveryGameNoExcuses said:
If we where seriously courting him we wouldn't be meeting him at some gala event to discuss his transfer.
Actually, my good mate's friend's sister-in-law told me at a BBQ that galas and sleazy after-parties are Ian Ayre's favorite way of courting prospective players. After he wines 'em and dines 'em, he tries to further impress the prospects by taking them out for a motorcycle joyride that inevitably ends at Melwood where Ayre surprises them with a contract in their inebriated and light-headed state. Rumor has it that Mata and Llorente were both happy with dinner and were going to sign but Ian upsetted Mata by going 80 at a school zone and Llorente was angered when he got off the bike only to see his golden locks disheveled. And that is the true story of how we ended up with Downing and Carroll.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Wasn't Comolli doing the contract pictures back in the CHAD Days

Here he is buying John W Henry....

Moores

Fantastic player within budget. To think we can sell Agger and Skrtel to Napoli for combined 20 mil..Pay the bills...and still have Kolo and Pearce for free. Its incredible bussiness. Well done Brendan. Reshape it how you like it. I trust you.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Sorry, but this rumour does nothing for me at all.
Bit of a worry if Reading doesn't want him.
The way these rumours are going we'll have a whole bunch of 4th-5th choice CBs and nothing in front of them, don't see Kolo as a regular starter and if Skrtel goes we are left with Agger.

And our defence wasn't exactly our high spot this past season.
We actually could do with some quality here.

Moores

hugo the horrible said:
Sorry, but this rumour does nothing for me at all.
What?? We're 87 millions in debt. We need to sell players and bring in decent free aqents like Kolo or Pearce. Suarez on top of our summer sales and we're debt free. Some people never learn.. H+G

Status
Not open for further replies.