• Goalposts (yawn)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Sack of cash

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Tries to lean on Karius, who drops him

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • Worried Achterberg

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Contract table. Which it obviously will be.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Degsy’s World Cup runner up medal. He hasn’t taken it off yet.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Desperate for content Express journalists.

• 10,000 scouse OAPs having their pacemakers checked.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Nabil Fekir, who is leaning the other way.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • No lean. We’re all just getting carried away.

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Rio Festival headdress

• Ray Clemmo’s goalie gloves.

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Bobby F’s gorgeous new silver locks.

Votes: 31 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I think it's clear that we won't pay +₤40m on a goalkeeper if Karius keeps his current form and doesn't cost us games with mistakes.

SirBillShankly

God help and protect us.
I would like us to sign Alisson however I still think Karius will keep improving and become our long term No 1.
It's very easy to envisage Alisson joining Real and Oblak going to PSG.

Maggot_Birdy

TIA New Signing
I think it's clear that we won't pay +₤40m on a goalkeeper if Karius keeps his current form and doesn't cost us games with mistakes.
I think its clear we need to pay more than that, and as much as needed, to stop conceding from silly plays.
Please, do a calculation i already did: Look at Liverpool's xGoals for and against in the EPL this season, and then put De Gea in place of Mignolet/Karius with his record of ratio Goals conceded/x Goals, and you will see that we would have been 5 points from City.
Then, even the blind can see, where the prolbem lies. Even with Van Dijk and the defense not tuned yet, the keeper issue should be settled ASAP.. We are even risking the CL spot with not buying in January

Alisson now! He is world class! If we want to be a top team, we want a top goalkeeper. No other team of the 10 best teams in Europe right now have such a bad first and second choice keepers..

1dragon

TIA Regular
Top 10 clubs in the world? Not sure which Top 10, but I am pretty sure Roma is not one of them. Assuming your Top 10 is as per the list below, there are a couple of clubs with not so great keepers.

Real Madrid: Navas, Casilla
Barcelona: Ter Stegen, Cillisen
Bayern : Neuer (injured for a long time), Ulriech
Man City: Ederson, Bravo
Man Utd: De Gea, Romero
Chelsea: Courtois, Callebaro
Liverpool: Karius, Mignolet
Juventus: Buffon, Sczenzy (sp)
Napoli: Reina,??
PSG : Trapp, Aeorla

Only Real, Man Utd, Barcelona and maybe Man City have better keepers than us.

Unless Karius fails to impress and Allison keeps up his good form, I will be wary of spending so much on a keeper.

zman89

Top 10 clubs in the world? Not sure which Top 10, but I am pretty sure Roma is not one of them. Assuming your Top 10 is as per the list below, there are a couple of clubs with not so great keepers.

Unless Karius fails to impress and Allison keeps up his good form, I will be wary of spending so much on a keeper.
Really? You think Mignolet and Karius are better than Buffon, Neuer and Courtois? Some nice red specs you've got on there.

Phil123

Only Real, Man Utd, Barcelona, Chelsea, Bayern, Barça, Juve, PSG (yeah, Trapp is better than what we have), so only 8 teams of the top 10 have better goalkeepers than us, 'only' 8 teams

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Courtois is better than Karius, Neuer is back soon, Juve will soon have Donnarumma.

Even still aren't they the teams we want to surpass when winning the Champions League? So we want to have keepers at least on par with all of them if we are to achieve our long term objectives.

I'm not saying Karius can't be that keeper, but so far he's not shown it. A few good games (where he's done what I'd expect as the bare minimum for a keeper), is a start for sure, let's hope he continues to progress to the end of the season and saves us a massive whack of money.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
There are more clubs out of that list with a better keeper than our options.

A new keeper (whoever he is, Sky and Joyce are now giving contradictory reports) might not necessarily mean the end for Karius already this summer. With Mignolet gone, I can see us keeping Loris for a bit more, at least that first season with the new guy in, also considering who he is and how well he does. Feel Karius will always attract or be attracted to a return to Germany. He was cheap for us in the first place so that maybe makes it more possible for German clubs too. Still too early to judge, Klopp has another dozen games or so, but like I said, I don't think Karius will be leaving this summer. Could be active on the keeper front this summer with Real eyeing one of De Gea or Courtois, with both of them having 2 years left on their deals and seeing what their clubs are ready to offer, how does that compare with their next wishes and ambitions. I feel Chelsea are in higher danger than United here. Someone like Oblak seems to be on the waiting list for whichever of these top sides when they lose a keeper. That happens and you have two competitive clubs like Chelsea and Atletico searching for a keeper. PSG are lurking, Arsenal could possibly as well, Juventus if they see something interesting other than Szczesny. We will apparently show interest in Oblak as well, but I'm not hoping much. Think it might be one of the Ederson/Alisson type (someone new on the scene), interesting to see which other names appear.

Last edited:

rupzzz

TIA Regular
100% Roma just trying to ensure they get a big price for Alisson in the summer with these reports. Especially after Monchi came out moaning about the fee they received for Salah.

I am a fan of Alisson, however I am also happy with Karius at the moment. I'd much rather Klopp went and bought one for the future for cheaper, than splashing out £70M on a GK, unless there is ample budget to sort other areas of the squad.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
It does seem like Roma are trying to start an auction, though - after all, not a long while ago, he was their second choice, they are premier wheelers and dealers these days and he's their most marketable player at this moment (first choice for a strong Brazil side, World Cup year, rich clubs looking for goalkeepers).

To be honest, after seeing Sky Sports' report on Alisson interest, I expected all Liverpool-related journos to come up with a contradicting report. This is an unnecessary distraction but perhaps it will result in Karius' positive reaction, who knows. I was happy to see Mignolet dropped (and hopefully sold in the summer), not because Karius is the second coming of Dino Zoff but because I was desperate for Klopp to make a firm decision on both - and we knew that Mignolet wasn't up to scratch but jury was out on Karius, simply because he didn't play that many matches back then. Like I said a few months back, the worst case scenario was that both flopped - best case scenario would be Karius putting his early troubles behind and emerging as a solid goalkeeper.

I'm pretty sure that Liverpool will buy another goalkeeper this summer, I just don't know whether that would be an expensive, undisputed no. 1 or someone who can keep Karius on his toes. These journos might have been briefed by the club but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Klopp persisting with Karius if, and it's a huge "if", he can make a big turnaround. After all, that's what Klopp does. 62 million pounds is huge amount of money and, while I rate Alisson highly, I'd rather see Klopp buy a very good defensive/deep-lying midfielder for that kind of money.

zman89

It's the correct stand to take publicly. We need to back our already fragile keeper. If we must sign Alisson, we should start discussing behind closed doors from now but doing it in the media does nothing for us. And if Karius keeps his form up until the end of the season, I wouldn't buy another keeper. This is not Mignolet, who plays two good months before the end of the season and he gets another year. This is a player who has never had a proper run in the first team and when he did he was attacked by all quarters for having a couple of shockers. Let's not forget he had just joined a new club in a new country and broke his hand soon after.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Please, do a calculation i already did: Look at Liverpool's xGoals for and against in the EPL this season, and then put De Gea in place of Mignolet/Karius with his record of ratio Goals conceded/x Goals, and you will see that we would have been 5 points from City.
Sorry mate, but that's absolute bullshit.

Not only is looking at football in those cold, analytical terms really, really boring, it's also hugely flawed.

We have no idea what would be the result of sticking De Gea in our goals, it's obviously going to be better, but let's not forget Mourinho has that side set up to defend as a first principle. We don't. That leaves any keeper much more exposed. You can't just take De Gea's stats and lob them into our team as if football is played on an excel spreadsheet.

Kanonkop

It's the correct stand to take publicly. We need to back our already fragile keeper. If we must sign Alisson, we should start discussing behind closed doors from now but doing it in the media does nothing for us. And if Karius keeps his form up until the end of the season, I wouldn't buy another keeper. This is not Mignolet, who plays two good months before the end of the season and he gets another year. This is a player who has never had a proper run in the first team and when he did he was attacked by all quarters for having a couple of shockers. Let's not forget he had just joined a new club in a new country and broke his hand soon after.
Exactly. it's also a message to Roma saying that they can go whistle for £62m....but perhaps £40m we can do a deal. Not many other clubs a) have the means to spend big on a GK AND b) have the need for a world class GK.

LFCFFC

Not only is looking at football in those cold, analytical terms really, really boring, it's also hugely flawed.

We have no idea what would be the result of sticking De Gea in our goals, it's obviously going to be better, but let's not forget Mourinho has that side set up to defend as a first principle. We don't. That leaves any keeper much more exposed. You can't just take De Gea's stats and lob them into our team as if football is played on an excel spreadsheet.
FIFA syndrome.

Nikola

Admin
Exactly. it's also a message to Roma saying that they can go whistle for £62m....but perhaps £40m we can do a deal. Not many other clubs a) have the means to spend big on a GK AND b) have the need for a world class GK.
I agree with this but there could be a chain reaction of sorts when it comes to goalies this summer - PSG and Real Madrid need new ones, Juventus will need a new one relatively soon. If the former two start buying, who knows where it will stop, especially if they gather enough courage to rattle Man United and Chelsea.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
I agree with this but there could be a chain reaction of sorts when it comes to goalies this summer - PSG and Real Madrid need new ones, Juventus will need a new one relatively soon. If the former two start buying, who knows where it will stop, especially if they gather enough courage to rattle Man United and Chelsea.
This scenario is why I believe that we are already in negotiations for Alisson with the intention of securing him early, before the World Cup and goalkeeping merry-go-round start.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
It is moving forward and fast in this year (I'm expecting a crazy summer overall), not saying we should do stupid things and go over limits. But Pickford was £30m after 1 full season with rock bottom Sunderland. Everton bought him who at the time had qualifiers to get into the Europa League. I think there might be something in Lovren's attempt to bring the Brazil vs Croatia friendly to Anfield before Russia. You could see a big goalie move this summer and it will almost surely be a record fee, no doubt about that. Question is how much exactly, what is the difference and then what are our options and how far are we willing to go. It's a unique position on the pitch and no club wants to be left without a proper replacement (already solved or lined-up).

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Alisson is #1 for Brazil and probably will have a great World Cup (I think Brazil will reach semi-finals, at least). Real Madrid will need a keeper and it could be either De Gea/Curtois or even Alisson. Also, I could see him as a replacement for those guys in both United/Chelsea.

Either way, Alisson will be very expensive, but I don't think we should pay that much, anything above £40~45m and I'm out.

Our main problem is: if it's not Alisson and obviously not Oblak, who should we be looking for?

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If he is as good as the hype suggests, and it is widely ackoweldeged that there aren't many good goalkeepers available, why wouldn't we be looking at spending a lot of money on him?

This is a unique opportunity to get a top goalkeeper in, that doesn't come around every season, even for the 'superclubs'. Signing a lesser quality player just to save a bit of money is folly, it's almost certain we would regret it.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Imo it depends how Karius is now developing and what sort of deal we are able to get for Mignolet. If everything with Karius would look positive until summer why should we go for a cheap option? We already have Ward so that would make no sense either. In that case I can see Klopp going for a kind of older experienced keeper. Maybe a guy like Iker Casillas or something like that... But if the "Karius experiment" doesn't work, I think Klopp won't hesitate to spent big money then.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin

Yeah, but even in the few matches I've watched United in (*curls up in shower and scrubs furiously*) there have been more than one where they were absolutely battered and De Gea kept them in it single handedly. Not just this season, but last year as well.

Completely agree that over the course of a season that all the mistakes wouldn't automatically have been erased and the points awarded, but even in a case-by-case basis, having a goalkeeper of his calibre would make an enormous difference. The Arsenal match at the Emirates. Champions League matches against Moscow and Sevilla. Seeing both lads repeatedly beaten at the near post. Constantly seeing stats showing that X team scored on every (or almost every) shot on goal they had. These are all things that yes, a top goalkeeper might not completely eradicate, but we'd be in a much better position right now if someone like Oblak or Alisson was between the sticks for us, I'm sure of it.

As for people saying that we don't need it, that Karius is doing well - he is at the moment, and I hope it continues. Let's not forget that people were saying the same thing about Mignolet 12 months ago, and now the torches and pitchforks are out for him, and it's surely the end for his time here. Personally, I'm far from convinced, but let's see what he does for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

SC LFC Fan

Klopp seems to have two signing strategies. 1) development players he thinks he can mold (Robertson prime example, with AOC a more expensive example I think being domestic and premier league established). 2) being willing to pay whatever needed for someone who fits perfectly and already developed (Keita/VvD).

Alisson fits into the 2 perfectly for me. If Klopp truly rates him and is who he wants, I think he'll spend what necessary to get him.

I'm interested to see what happens with players along the lines of Malcolm/Lemar because they almost seem to fit in between the two types of signings. They are more known than the prospect level players, but are still not finished products (could be why we dropped out for Lemar, if we really have, because he seems to be a high level development player, with a cost of a fit perfectly/already developed player).

Nikola

Admin
If he is as good as the hype suggests, and it is widely ackoweldeged that there aren't many good goalkeepers available, why wouldn't we be looking at spending a lot of money on him?

This is a unique opportunity to get a top goalkeeper in, that doesn't come around every season, even for the 'superclubs'. Signing a lesser quality player just to save a bit of money is folly, it's almost certain we would regret it.
Purely financial reasons perhaps? People may say that Liverpool are flush with cash after Coutinho's sale but there's already Keita incoming at 50-60 million pounds, while at least another forward and a defensive midfielder wouldn't go amiss. And that's provided everyone currently in the team remains fit...

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
In a time where a top full back goes for £50m, a CB is £75m, attacking midfielders are £140m, and forwards £200m, I get a bit confused when people are outraged at the price tags of goalkeepers. Especially when it’s one position where it’s so specialized that they literally save you points.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
In a time where a top full back goes for £50m, a CB is £75m, attacking midfielders are £140m, and forwards £200m, I get a bit confused when people are outraged at the price tags of goalkeepers. Especially when it’s one position where it’s so specialized that they literally save you points.
I really couldn't agree with you more. If you look at the other top five clubs each one of them has a fairly decent keeper between the sticks, so it's about time we also had ourselves a decent keeper. When Shanks arrived at the club his first objective was to stiffen the spine of the team. Goalkeeper, centre half and centre forward, and then built his team around them. Basically, football is a simple game and very little changes, so we have our centre forward in Firmino, for want of a better title, a centre back in VVD, and the finishing touch has to be a goalkeeper. Perhaps Karius can prove all his critics wrong, including me, and become the goal stopper Jurgen Klopp believes him to be, but if he hasn't proved himself by the time the summer transfer window arrives ...... (?)

SC LFC Fan

Top Goalkeepers seem to have pretty long careers as compared to some of the other premium positions as well.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Exactly and Alisson is what? 24? That's 10 years of service, over the length of his contract he'd repay that over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.