• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Andy Carroll - To West Ham or Anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabu

TIA New Signing
Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 5m

Sky sources: Liverpool striker Andy Carroll having medical at West Ham #SSN

almost there folks almost there

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
Hopefully Carroll realizes how stupid it would be to go back to Newcastle considering Pardew didn't want him and now Kinnear wants him. Plus it would be an even bigger circus there and he'd likely be blamed more than he has been here. If he goes to West Ham he can be a focal point and has a good chance of making the England squad for the World Cup.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
jabu said:
Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 5m

Sky sources: Liverpool striker Andy Carroll having medical at West Ham #SSN

almost there folks almost there
I've not felt this nervous about a medical outcome since my Mum's last scan! She got the all clear, let's hope Andy does too.

jabu

TIA New Signing
Cortez said:
I've not felt this nervous about a medical outcome since my Mum's last scan! She got the all clear, let's hope Andy does too.
hahhah!!! cortez seriously, u crazy to equate this to ur mums scan!!!

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Was reading through Andys twitter account - looks like he's good mates with a number of the Chelsea players. London will be good for him

S

showmethemoney

I know things haven't worked out for Andy, but I am a bit gutted to be honest.

I suppose it's because he comes across as a pretty likable guy.

Sods law he now goes on to become this prolific striker who wins the Ballon d'Or winner in the next two years!

NJred8

TIA New Signing
SoueysTash said:
Was reading through Andys twitter account - looks like he's good mates with a number of the Chelsea players. London will be good for him
More pubs per capita?

I am so excited to see him leave, and for 15mp. Tis a good day lads!

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
NJred8 said:
More pubs per capita?

I am so excited to see him leave, and for 15mp. Tis a good day lads!
I'm sorry he's left under such a cloud to be honest, he seems like a nice enough fella. Would've been nice if he'd have been a fixture for so long instead of a "£35m Misfit" but I guess that's the price we've paid for chopping and changing managers.

I'm sure he'll be a big success, I certainly wish him the best.

Edit: Missed SMTMs post which i've basically ripped off, sorry!

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
showmethemoney said:
I know things haven't worked out for Andy, but I am a bit gutted to be honest.

I suppose it's because he comes across as a pretty likable guy.

Sods law he now goes on to become this prolific striker who wins the Ballon d'Or winner in the next two years!
Trouble is though, to get the best out of him we would have had to play very direct football with lots of high percentage crosses hoisted in from all parts. Don't really fancy us playing that way tbh.

S

showmethemoney

SoueysTash said:
I'm sorry he's left under such a cloud to be honest, he seems like a nice enough fella. Would've been nice if he'd have been a fixture for so long instead of a "£35m Misfit" but I guess that's the price we've paid for chopping and changing managers.

I'm sure he'll be a big success, I certainly wish him the best.

Edit: Missed SMTMs post which i've basically ripped off, sorry!
Not at all mate, i guess it's how a lot of LFC fans feel about him. :)

Lucas

Ultimately he was forced out of his boyhood club by the owner and MD, never wanted to leave, and was a victim of a price-tag he had nothing at all to do with. I think it's best that he gets a new start at a club that is suited to him and will play to his strengths, and hopefully cement a place in the England set-up over Welbeck.

Best of luck, Andy.

S

showmethemoney

EdWood said:
Trouble is though, to get the best out of him we would have had to play very direct football with lots of high percentage crosses hoisted in from all parts. Don't really fancy us playing that way tbh.
I agree.

It would be like putting Messi in at Stoke under Pulis.

Still, I wish him all the best.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
showmethemoney said:
I agree.

It would be like putting Messi in at Stoke under Pulis.

Still, I wish him all the best.
Of course, against everyone but us that is. He's the main reason that we're going to need a beast-like CB (like Papa) next season as far as I'm concerned.

I still remember the way he almost single-handedly handed citeh their arses at Anfield. :D

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Good luck to him he was never a 35m pound man and hopefully he will be better as a 15m one, for us it's a lesson we seem to have learnt a 17.5m one but alas.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
EdWood said:
Of course, against everyone but us that is. He's the main reason that we're going to need a beast-like CB (like Papa) next season as far as I'm concerned.

I still remember the way he almost single-handedly handed citeh their arses at Anfield. :D
I think someone should just send him a crate of Newkie Broon the night before our match, job done.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Wait I just need to type this out to help me comprehend it.

In 2 and a half years we have gone from a club willing to buy a £15 million player for £35 million on £80k a week.

To a team able to sell that player after worse than a 1 in 4 strike rate that time to a club that has to give him a wage increase to £100k a week and we are still getting a £2 million loan fee, £15.5 million up front and potentially another £2 million in bonuses....

Have we got blackmail material on Gold and Sullivan?

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
Yeah it's a huge risk for a relatively newly promoted side like West Ham. I think they are paying over the odds since we're pratically begging for him to leave. He's injury prone. And the wages are silly for his performance level. In any case, he seems to be somewhat talismanic for the Hammers. Really wish him the best. Now we can hopefully stop talking him very soon.

This is the type of bold move that could backfire and get them relegated in short order. Norwich paid 8.5 for Wolfswinkel and Carroll is twice as much?

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
I do think he'll be a good signing for them, certainly better than Carlton Cole. But, had he stayed, I also think he'd have been terrible for us.

A rare deal that's good for everyone - we get cash to invest on players we can actually use, Carroll goes to a club that will play to his strengths and get the best out of him, and West Ham get a player who will perform well for them.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
ptt said:
@ARD, shussss, not so loud, he's not signed yet........
OMG, the medical! He's quite injury prone. Let's hope the West Ham doctor is feeling charitable toward him.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
6 year contract on £100k pw.

Breaking WHU transfer record and their wage record too. He's done alright for himself here.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Said it from the start that this was going to go down as one of our biggest transfer mistakes in history. Took a raw young lad, who had the barest sniff of Premiership experience, and was being shopped around by his club a year prior for a mere million quid, and lumbered him with the horrific tag of most expensive British player in history, and one of the costliest players in world football. There's not too many who could live up to that, let alone a guy who was still... shall we say, sorting through some teething issues in terms of dealing with life as a professional footballer.

Don't blame Andy in the least for not living up to the billing, pun intended. Granted he could have worked harder (it seemed, at least) when he arrived, but not only did we spunk a massive amount of money that SHOULD have been sensibly handled, we also basically paid for Newcastle's mini-rennaissance with the likes of Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Santon, Ba, Cisse, and basically everyone else they've signed since selling him.

Hope his move goes through and is able to kick on now, and hope our club has learned a lesson ourselves. But will never shake the feeling that we paid £35m for a player who is essentially in the same mould as a Darren Bent, Bobby Zamora, or Carlton Cole. (Although now that I think of it, think we lost the same amount of money with Aquilani, given he came for £20m and left for £3m)

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
rupzzz said:
6 year contract on £100k pw.

Breaking WHU transfer record and their wage record too. He's done alright for himself here.
He's reminding me of Duncan Ferguson. His legend and reputation far exceed his performance.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
ubermick said:
Said it from the start that this was going to go down as one of our biggest transfer mistakes in history. Took a raw young lad, who had the barest sniff of Premiership experience, and was being shopped around by his club a year prior for ourselves.we
The only caveat is was the selling Torres for a ridiculous sum and the time frame at the end of the window. So all in all, it turns out not too bad. Considering Torres will likely be sold for the same 15M this summer. And plus we bought Suarez with some of that money.

I'd consider the Aquilani transfer far worse. We got no value from that at a crucial time we needed an Alonso replacement.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
In Aquilani's defence there was never any question about his quality. We actually had great success record when he was on the pitch and its not like he hasn't done well at practically every single top Italian side.

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
Thought Aqua looked decent when he played, think he fell through the cracks a bit when Rafa was let go and Hodgson - someone who doesn't really have any use for flair players - came in.

Had Rafa stayed he might have become a good player for us and not remembered as a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.