• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Andy Carroll - To West Ham or Anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
I'm pleased to see this wrapped up early in this window.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Bye bye Andy. Now knowing our luck he is going to be the 20 goal striker for WHU and is going to be the nightmare for the CBs of EPL.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I too hope the best for him and that he will be a 20 goal striker for West Ham.....over the 6 years he signed for them.

S

showmethemoney

mpoletti said:
I can't wait to close this thread.
Absolutely mate.

It will bring to an end a very strange chapter of our recent history.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
The Elusive 19th said:
Bye bye Andy. Now knowing our luck he is going to be the 20 goal striker for WHU and is going to be the nightmare for the CBs of EPL.
There's a very good chance he could be scoring 20+ next season. However we know that if he stayed here he wouldn't.

He can be a cracking player when the team plays to his strengths. Unfortunately Rodgers' style of playing does not cater to his strengths at all and Fat Sam does set his teams out in a way that can allow Andy to show the world just how good he can be.

(On the above paragraph I used the word unfortunately. I have to point out that I think it's unfortunate that we won't get to see the best of Carroll up here. In no way, shape or form do I think it's unfortunate that we do not play using Fat Sam's hoofball tactics.)

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Fat Sam has done us a couple of favours recently. If he could take downing off our hands as well that would be marvellous

Ironically though, he may be able to make what we misguidedly tried to do here work better being a more natural died in the wool Neanderthal as a coach. Might be just what was needed for both, someone non technical and 'uncomplicated'

Though the Hodge had left, oddly enough we seemed to then buy a clutch of players you would have naturally expected him to buy for some reason. Maybe it showed there was too much of a we must buy British as foreigners will bugger off kind of mentality at work at all levels in the club at the time that persisted after that time. Ironically also, he wanted Mario Gomez who most probably would have turned out better. Anyway...good luck Andy, just make sure you are injured when we play you lot next year

S

showmethemoney

I can't believe the astronomical package they have put together for him.

Really is mindbending over 6 years. It's an incredible show of faith.

Hope he matures into the player Kenny & obviously Fat Samatha thinks he can become.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
schmee said:
There's a very good chance he could be scoring 20+ next season.
What leads you to believe this? 7 in 26 this season. Not unless West Ham play 75 matches he won't be scoring 20.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
lougehrig said:
What leads you to believe this? 7 in 26 this season. Not unless West Ham play 75 matches he won't be scoring 20.
Towards the end of the season, i think, when he had a consistent run, he contributed the most of those figures.

Andy is probably a player who needs a consistent run of games to perform to his top most level.

So if he stays away from bar stools and any other injury causing thingy then he will slowly get into the 20 goals striker in a season or 2.

schmee said:
There's a very good chance he could be scoring 20+ next season. However we know that if he stayed here he wouldn't.
Agree that him and we don't suit each other anymore. Feels this is the right time to cut the loses and invest in a player who the manager will actually play and move on.

RichLFC said:
Fat Sam has done us a couple of favours recently. If he could take downing off our hands as well that would be marvellous
That alone will make this transfer a decent success for me personally. But OMG, is fat Sam that stupid?

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
good luck to him, but let's not lock the thread until we see his new shirt & number.

HarryFloyd

TIA First Team
RichLFC said:
That would be wonderful. But I do not think we'll be so lucky. Unlike Andy, no clubs have shown an iota of interest in Downing.

dxb_red

auf wiedersehen Andy...

its a great transfer all round really, West Ham fans are happy, we're happy, and Andy is happy...a nice ending to this fiasco...

thank god he had that purple patch towards the end of last season though, otherwise we would have struggled to get 10m for him...

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Best of luck Andy.

Whilst I never agreed with the price we paid, I always thought there was a bit of something there that could have turned into something very special, but alas what ever happens, it won't be in a reds' shirt.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
HarryFloyd said:
That would be wonderful. But I do not think we'll be so lucky. Unlike Andy, no clubs have shown an iota of interest in Downing.
Downing should be easier to sell. He's not a bad mid table player. He's just not top 5 club level. Plus he'll be cheaper. Remember, he did play alot for us last season and had some decent moments. I think we're not selling him until we have everybody in we want.

SF Red

TIA Regular
lougehrig said:
Downing should be easier to sell. He's not a bad mid table player. He's just not top 5 club level. Plus he'll be cheaper. Remember, he did play alot for us last season and had some decent moments. I think we're not selling him until we have everybody in we want.
It's Downing's wages and age that are a problem. He is not going to improve from his form the last few years (Andy could and probably will improve). He could be a 6-8m or so player, but no one is going to pay the 70-80K/w wages that he is supposedly on. We will have to pay some of it (I would assume a 2m payoff).

If we get 8m and give him a 2m payoff, that will suck, but is probably the best we can hope for unless Ayre is a master negotiator. Let's wait and see....

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
SF Red said:
It's Downing's wages and age that are a problem. He is not going to improve from his form the last few years (Andy could and probably will improve). He could be a 6-8m or so player, but no one is going to pay the 70-80K/w wages that he is supposedly on. We will have to pay some of it (I would assume a 2m payoff).

If we get 8m and give him a 2m payoff, that will suck, but is probably the best we can hope for unless Ayre is a master negotiator. Let's wait and see....
Nailed it. Thats what I have been thinking about Downing's transfer saga for about 3/4 months now.

mr mustard

TIA Reserve Team
Although I really like Andy, I never expected us to get more than 10 million for him. Well done! And thank you Andy for not making it harder than it needed to be.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
mr mustard said:
Although I really like Andy, I never expected us to get more than 10 million for him. Well done! And thank you Andy for not making it harder than it needed to be.
Not many did, I got shouted down few months back for stating I thought we would get a minimum of £12 million. Looks like we may get as much as £19.5 million including the loan fee. Amazing business by Ayre.

SF Red

TIA Regular
Me too. I am amazed we could be getting 17m for him (I know there is a 2m payoff, but there are reportedly potentially another 2m in add-ons and we did have the 2m loan fee).

Maybe there is hope on getting rid of Downing for more than 6m...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
SF Red said:
Me too. I am amazed we could be getting 17m for him (I know there is a 2m payoff, but there are reportedly potentially another 2m in add-ons and we did have the 2m loan fee).

Maybe there is hope on getting rid of Downing for more than 6m...
Yeah but they also paid his £4+ million of wages for us last year as well ;)

My prediction on Downing has always been £10 million but potentially having to pay him a bit of it to make up for a wages drop or £7/8 million but the club he goes to match his wages. Its a shame QPR have gone as they'd of been the prime candidates. Maybe Hughes at Stoke? Downing and Pennant crossing from each wing to the likes of Crouch?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
RichLFC said:
Well, who better to provide Carroll with service, eh? Wor Andy is about as mobile as a wheelie bin, so Downing should have no problem hitting that target...

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Not many did, I got shouted down few months back for stating I thought we would get a minimum of £12 million. Looks like we may get as much as £19.5 million including the loan fee. Amazing business by Ayre.
I only got to give one like today before I got a message saying I'd run out, but I'd have given one to this.

I had nightmares of the Carroll situation becoming like Aqua's - no club willing to meet our asking price as they knew we'd be desperate enough to loan him out season after season just to get rid of his wages temporarily. I'm pleased and relieved that didn't end up being the case.

It's an odd experience not completely loathing Allardyce for a fraction of a second.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
The Elusive 19th said:
I am not buying this "Ayre is a goooood negotiator", till I see us selling Downing for 10m.
Fucking hell lad I said he was good not Jesus Christ lol think that is the most optimistic deal possible for him (if there is no payoff).

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Fucking hell lad I said he was good not Jesus Christ lol think that is the most optimistic deal possible for him (if there is no payoff).
Can't we find some one like Sam or Comoli for dumping Downing on to them?

ptt

2020, head of the table.
The Elusive 19th said:
I am not buying this "Ayre is a goooood negotiator", till I see us selling Downing for 10m.
If he manages that, I'll be ringing the police and accusing him of being an imposter!

Status
Not open for further replies.