• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Anfield Atmosphere Discussion

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Now, the home crowd make the team edgy. The moans and groans over a misplaced pass increase when we're struggling. The frustration is aimed at our players, not the opposition or the match officials. Or worst of all, people give up completely and walk out thinking it's not our day and there's nothing they can do. I think that's what Klopp was getting at with his comments. No one is realistically expecting a wall of noise for 90 minutes and it's easy to sing when you're winning anyway. It's when we're up against it that the support really needs to kick in.
You could see that yesterday in the final 10 minutes when Swansea was at our own half. That made Lovren shit his pants and start making desperate clearances. Heck, even I could feel it through the tele.

Werder4life

I've been following this thread for a while now, and since the Bundesliga has been pointed to as a reference in many posts, I'd like to chip in my 2 cents.

I just watched the Prem on TV so far, so I can't really give an "expert" opinion on the atmosphere first hand at English grounds, but for my spoilt German ears nearly every PL match sounds like an exhibition match would sound over here.
Since TV broadcasting provides a rather distorted angle on the stadion ambience in Germany as well, I just thought British TV did a pretty poor job of catching the vibe. Apparently not.

From what I read here so far, the main culprits for the lack of lively support are age average, ticket pricing and the non existence of save standing areas. From my point of view the latter has to be highlighted. Not the standing - but at least the "supporter's area" as a focal point.

To anyone who might be interested in what I'm used to, here is a clip that gives a good exemple of pretty much all aspects that make the ambience in German arenas.
Note: The Atmosphere was above average then, because of the 100th aniversary nothern derby SVW (very mediocre side) vs HSV (abysmal side) , BUT(!) the match itself was dull as f#ck. 1-0 win to us. Both teams display abysmal footy on a regular basis and have been fighting relegation for a couple of years now. So I chose this example to take any "winning stuff euphoria" out of the equation.

I'd like to point out serveral aspects from the Vid to add to the "Anfield problem" discussion.
ALL the noise is generated from within the "Ostkurve"-Stands (and the opposing guest terrace for that matter). The seats alongside the pitch are silently watching the game (every game). Just from watching the crowd, I can say average age in the stands is 25, in the seats it's way above 40. I used to celebrate the matchday in both areas, and believe me, it's next to impossible to avoid singing, shouting and jumping in the stands. Very exhausting, uplifting and by far not as dangerous as it looks. There are barriers seperating the rows you can get a gripp on , providing space to breathe and preventing people to fall over each other.
Noticed the Speaker boxes in front of the standing area? It is used by a - (how to describe it?) - chant announcer? - conductor? - well, the guy you usually see sitting on the fence at away games with a megaphone, belting out the first words of the next chant...
There is a pyro incident at around 3:50 into the clip. Things like this brought up the latest push to forbid save standing in Germany by the authorities. They got close, but in the end the clubs refused to give it up.
The clip contains the main arguments for the clubs not to cave in - watch the incident - NOBODY panics , no police storming the blocks but the whole stadium booing the Ultras, even parts of the standing area. Game was stopped during the incident, fog faded, got on with the game. Peace, joy and pancake all around. After that match the club assembled all contact people from the various supporter groups and issued a stern warning that if they can't put a stop to this, their privileges would be suspended. As there are : banner rights, coreography rights, ticket privilege (they have ticket contingents issued to the registered supporter groups). The pyro problem just faded afterwards, because the supporters got it sorted by themselves.

And there might be the key to why English and German grounds sound different. How is the relation between clubs and supporter groups in England?
In Germany clubs are able to keep standing alive (against the authority's wishes) because they can point to close relations to their fanbase, to keep things straight and sort problems out.
German clubs value their fanbase as a vital key component to the image of their brand in the entertainment industry, that football has become. From a pure economic point of view. What is the last thing a club that never wins anything and displays shyte football can at least be famous for? It's supporters.

What can Liverpool FC do to get the homeground fixed?
Well, the club (and the owners) has to recognise that there's a problem first of all. Is Klopp the first official at the club to comment on this publicly?
The supporters got to get organised amongst each other and approach the club management as an entity and to get into an active dialog to adress stuff.
There need to be certain "restricted" areas in the stadium for ultra support and subsidised ticket contingents to registered supporter groups, to get the youngsters back in.
It's a basic rule for German clubs. Subsidise the youngsters. They instantly pay back by polishing the brand with terrific home support. The costs are less than a squad player's weekly salary.
The club needs to see it's supporters as an asset.
But there need to be at least the "playground/mosh pit" areas to bundle the chanting, that's a must have.
If the club is reluctant to get into dialog with supporters, there is a nuke option. Buy tickets and don't attend the match (or the first 15 minutes in).
The resulting PR disaster should open doors and ears. :tongue:

So far so good - at least 1 of my 2 cents delivered.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
@Werder4life there is an entity that could meet and discuss this situation with the club. The problem here isn't lack of organised fan base that could star a working plan, the problem here is the league. In Germany, most if not all clubs are owned by Germans and fans as well. In England they are owned by rich businessmen from different countries. Their sole purpose of owning the club is for money, pleasure and power. No affiliation towards the local community and fans. Liverpool FC owners don't even know the sport before they bought over.

The second problem is the money. German clubs needed the gate receipts more than the English clubs do because the TV rights are worth nearly double of what they could collect on match day revenues. For the owners like FSG their main concern is the bottom line. Look at the last few games, we used to have big banners and flags floating over the Kop and we don't have that anymore. We had it last season and we don't now, are they worried?

It's not that the fans don't want a dialog with the club officials, it's whether the club owners and officials care enough about the fans that is the issue here too.

Werder4life

@Werder4life

It's not that the fans don't want a dialog with the club officials, it's whether the club owners and officials care enough about the fans that is the issue here too.
Oh ok... :eh?:... so it seems the supporters need friends on the board level, to point out to the owners what an important asset to have it is, the lively atmosphere.
Maybe somebody should break down to the owners why - despite the greater dependency on ticket revenue - German clubs keep subsidising young support. It's the bottom line. It's the youngsters, that buy most of the merchandise and display the latest stuff on TV (while attending the match). It's them who keep feeding the clubs revenue in the future. It's them who provide the opportunity for us old farts in the seats to enjoy boiling point atmosphere on matchday and make the officials (if attending the match occasionally) look good on TV.
Plus (!) they are valued as a 12th man on the pitch - at least over here. But maybe it's just the public "feel good" line from players and club officials to keep fans happy ... maybe. But at least they have reason to keep support alive and happy over here, and it's not like German business conduct is known for prioritising happy people! lol

liver1

Oh ok... :eh?:... so it seems the supporters need friends on the board level, to point out to the owners what an important asset to have it is, the lively atmosphere.
Maybe somebody should break down to the owners why - despite the greater dependency on ticket revenue - German clubs keep subsidising young support. It's the bottom line. It's the youngsters, that buy most of the merchandise and display the latest stuff on TV (while attending the match). It's them who keep feeding the clubs revenue in the future. It's them who provide the opportunity for us old farts in the seats to enjoy boiling point atmosphere on matchday and make the officials (if attending the match occasionally) look good on TV.
Plus (!) they are valued as a 12th man on the pitch - at least over here. But maybe it's just the public "feel good" line from players and club officials to keep fans happy ... maybe. But at least they have reason to keep support alive and happy over here, and it's not like German business conduct is known for prioritising happy people! lol
Its not all bad in the premier league. The non top 5 clubs are fine for atmosphere.

If you take a look at Leicesters tickets policy for example, its pretty much as people say it should be, the atmospheres pretty lively there, but theyre a small club:

Varied prices for different age groups. Different sections e.g family stands.

But the underlying issue is age. Not sure what you can do to fix that other than kick people off their season tickets. Maybe put a 5-10 year time limit on it. I suspect at the moment there are many ST holders who will never give up their ticket under current circumstances because they are like gold dust. You can probably sell tickets for games at twice / 3 times the price.

As a result maybe people need to be forced off their ST, to recirculate them.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I think you would have a hard time making the economic interest argument for the Bundesliga approach over what the Premier League has done. I also think the PL is in a bit of a trap. They need to maximize revenue in order to be able to afford to import elite players to stay a top league. If the PL were to be anywhere close to as dependent on homegrown talent as the Bundesliga, I think they would drop behind Italy, France and Portugal fairly quickly, losing two Champions League spots and likely a huge amount of global TV revenue along the way.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
I said it before, I will say it again..we are pricing our youth supporters, families and building a new generation of supporters out of the game and out of the stadium.

Watch any match and you will see, seats occupied by tourists (no need for me to point out race/ethnic backgrounds as that is irrelevant) in two's or four's focused on their selfies and photographs of players coming to take a throw in...

We need a logical, sane approach back to how we can bring the game back to the kids and how we can save the new generation..

Or is this club going to end up being another chelsea fc or arsenal fc...a tourist one stop haven in London>?

redyukka

YNWA
I said it before, I will say it again..we are pricing our youth supporters, families and building a new generation of supporters out of the game and out of the stadium.

Watch any match and you will see, seats occupied by tourists (no need for me to point out race/ethnic backgrounds as that is irrelevant) in two's or four's focused on their selfies and photographs of players coming to take a throw in...

We need a logical, sane approach back to how we can bring the game back to the kids and how we can save the new generation..

Or is this club going to end up being another chelsea fc or arsenal fc...a tourist one stop haven in London>?
Agree we are pricing out youngsters but tourists aren't killing the atmosphere singlehandly. There are 24,500 season ticket holders not chanting cos tourists are taking selfies? Seriously.

DEVGRU

Agree we are pricing out youngsters but tourists aren't killing the atmosphere singlehandly. There are 24,500 season ticket holders not chanting cos tourists are taking selfies? Seriously.
I think the one issue we forget is, from those 24,000 season ticket holders, how many are re-selling their seats via third party organizations and ticket companies and how many are genuine, full blooded, pure, liverpudlians and welsh men and women and kids?

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
utter crap mate and i think you know it.wait until mls can triple the ticket prices,they ban pyro,make people sit all game away from ya mates.mls clubs needs the hipster soccer fan so encourages the sort of behaviour that has been drummed out of english top level footy.as soon as some serious shit goes down in the mls or they can get the non soccer fan in games your cheer leading squad will be booted.and to be honest the noise for the sake of noise shit the americans come out with is just as bad as silence to me.
For a guy living in the States it sure seems like you are not paying attention to what is going on.

#1 I live in Canada, don't give a flying fat what the Yanks are doing. But I have been to 2 matches down there and both were good experiences. But you should realize that the tickets WEREN'T cheap and the drumming is no different than what happens at other countries in Europe.

Footy is the fastest growing sport over here and the attendance levels exceed most other pro sports including their "national pastime". The competition for fan base is high, there is more than just footy vying for the consumer support. MLS is happy to provide a fun family atmosphere (regardless what you think of the noise), and the league will continue to improve.

It won't supercede the NFL, NHL, or MLB revenue stream because of the TV sponsorships. But having a strong fan base in the stands is keeping it alive

The UK stands were lobotomized in the 90's because the English footy fans earned themselves a reputation. There are enough documentaries and films about what was happening inside and outside the stadiums to make that fairly clear to anyone who wants to know.

• Look outside the UK to see what fans cam really do if they wanted to provide the fabled atmosphere which everyone so vividly remembers and laments losing. Demographics may be part of it, but being 40 isn't the end of life and it's certainly no reason to muzzle yourself at the pitch.
Watch the highlights from the Dortmund>Schalke04 match a few weeks ago, the players interacting with the supporters end after they won. I watched the match it was electric in that place. Haven't seen it like that at Anfield since the title run a few years back.

Last edited:

Not Worthy

I think the one issue we forget is, from those 24,000 season ticket holders, how many are re-selling their seats via third party organizations and ticket companies and how many are genuine, full blooded, pure, liverpudlians and welsh men and women and kids?

Devgru, I think that's one of a number of issues; the majority probably already highlighted here if the club wish to take notice.....To my mind the single biggest factor is that going the match has lost it's communality, it's spontaneity. It's all too, 'packaged' and joyless.

Yes, you're still there with 45,000 like minded souls but how easy is it to go with your mates, beer beforehand, be together INSIDE the ground, walk out together, beer and post-mortem, then off ? Now, you can't simply congregate in your favourite spot, act a bit of a div and feel ok cos it's just your mates around you. Instead, you're allocated. You're seat neighbours change half a dozen times in a season; told to sit down constantly; can't wave flags. There's the whole forced 'loyalty' approach from the club; the 'travel partner' (jesus wept), every last potential pound to be spent is licensed out to an approved corporate blah-blah. It's homogenised, monetised and too 'professional'. All good for predictable revenues, bad for feeling like you belong.

It's like it's gone from being your local pub, to being a wine bar in town where everyone is transient, never to be seen again.

All that negativity aside, I actually do have hope that Klopp can reconnect the club to the fans; deliver some fun

DEVGRU

Devgru, I think that's one of a number of issues; the majority probably already highlighted here if the club wish to take notice.....To my mind the single biggest factor is that going the match has lost it's communality, it's spontaneity. It's all too, 'packaged' and joyless.

Yes, you're still there with 45,000 like minded souls but how easy is it to go with your mates, beer beforehand, be together INSIDE the ground, walk out together, beer and post-mortem, then off ? Now, you can't simply congregate in your favourite spot, act a bit of a div and feel ok cos it's just your mates around you. Instead, you're allocated. You're seat neighbours change half a dozen times in a season; told to sit down constantly; can't wave flags. There's the whole forced 'loyalty' approach from the club; the 'travel partner' (jesus wept), every last potential pound to be spent is licensed out to an approved corporate blah-blah. It's homogenised, monetised and too 'professional'. All good for predictable revenues, bad for feeling like you belong.

It's like it's gone from being your local pub, to being a wine bar in town where everyone is transient, never to be seen again.

All that negativity aside, I actually do have hope that Klopp can reconnect the club to the fans; deliver some fun
Well said and well explained...agree on the difficulty in getting seats together as well mate..

Gazmaninaus

The problem with Liverpool, is, we might be the best supported team out of Mersyside, but we're not the best supported team on Mersyside, that appears to fall to Everton.
We have basically become a dead end team for local talent, and since we've basically been in obscurity for the entire premier league era, we're not attracting the local juniors.
While our history may have impacted on our support base, I think our ability over the years to bring through a constant amount of local talent, which then brings in the local pride and passion, is one of the main reason's we are talking about atmosphere.
Like I said in the after match thread, the passion rises from the field, swells in the stands, and then becomes the 12th man.
All the footage of fans leaving early, is not tourist hoping to get an early flight home, far from it, its locals, my friends, locals getting out early, getting the train, bus or pub, whichever.
Every game, I've been too, the tourist are standing there applauding the players leaving the ground.
We need to grab the passion and local pride back.

Flobs

FADA
Like I said in the after match thread, the passion rises from the field, swells in the stands, and then becomes the 12th man.
This theme arises often on this forum and is also put forward by Klopp to an extent. I wonder how many actually believe this, it is a factor however my experiences also make me believe it can work the other way round, the 12th man lifting the team. In some stadiums I have been when the home team goes behind it is then that the local support ups it and helps lift the team, I think it's called hope. There is a famous match where Liverpool fans did this down 3-0 at half time and came back to win on penalties. Most of us saw it on tv and one of the most memorable things of that match was how the Liverpool fans in the stadium sang during the half time pause. If you don't think that helped to boost our players then we are without hope. If the hopes gone then we have no right to sing YNWA!
I could go on with examples different teams, supporters, clubs and sports instead I will just finish with the question, have we really lost the passion and the hope to such an extent we need to rely on the players to lift us?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
There are people in Anfield who want to sing. But it is very hard to do so surrounded by 100 strangers who are all showing no interest. It's a miracle any songs happen at all.
Is it me or has the atmosphere significantly worsened this season? Until last season, the YNWA song at the end was an absolute given, for every match. This season, several games have petered out without the song having been sung. I found this a bit strange and asked myself how this could be possible. Or did my shitty streams cut out the song or something?

I think you would have a hard time making the economic interest argument for the Bundesliga approach over what the Premier League has done. I also think the PL is in a bit of a trap. They need to maximize revenue in order to be able to afford to import elite players to stay a top league. If the PL were to be anywhere close to as dependent on homegrown talent as the Bundesliga, I think they would drop behind Italy, France and Portugal fairly quickly, losing two Champions League spots and likely a huge amount of global TV revenue along the way.
On the other hand, the argument could be made that the league is earning so much money with the TV deals that they could easily give up on a few millions in order to get a better atmosphere in the grounds, and still stay hugely competitive, both domestically and in Europe.

Especially the top clubs, which are obviously hit the hardest with that acute problem of supporters being priced out and atmosphere becoming worse from year to year, should have a good think about it. As Werder4Life pointed out, it's all about the future of the game (ie. involving youth).

And as he said (and I've said since eons), safe standing areas are a must in order to get a proper atmosphere back. Even atmospheres like Leicester or Crystal Palace are quite subdued when compared with most stadia allowing standing fans, in Europe or elsewhere.

Last edited:

RedSeven

On the one road
And as he said (and I've said since eons), safe standing areas are a must in order to get a proper atmosphere back. Even atmospheres like Leicester or Crystal Palace are quite subdued when compared with most stadia allowing standing fans, in Europe or elsewhere.
Away fans visiting Anfield spend the whole match on their feet,the stewards never seem to tell them to sit down.
Do our fans do the same at other grounds and could this be part of the reason that away fans,ours and others,always seem to be louder than home fans at certain points during games.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Away fans visiting Anfield spend the whole match on their feet,the stewards never seem to tell them to sit down.
Do our fans do the same at other grounds and could this be part of the reason that away fans,ours and others,always seem to be louder than home fans at certain points during games.
Away fans tend to be standing throughout, all the games at Palace I've been to the away fans stand throughout. I went to a away game with my Leicester supporting mate last season and we stood throughout. It's less hassle and it really shows up the idea about standing, I used to be very much against it but having been to a few grounds now I really don't see the point in not having some form of it back.

Ironically the Palace Fanatics have a section of the Homesdale end opposite from the one I sit in and they stand, clap and jump all game, probably a reason why it's so noisey really as the stand I'm in just seem to berate the ref though the Linesman was dreadful on Saturday, a ball looped over him on the touch line and 10 ft from the corner axis for a throw and he gave a corner, plus he guessed about 4 or 5 other decisions.

Talking of generic chants has anyone ever had a half decent version of the so and so's blue and white army....Louis Van Gaals red and white Army is by far the most tongue twisting but they are all pretty poor.... You can't really do it for Liverpool as we only technically have one colour. It must have an orgin and thus have a really good version. Alex Neill's Yellow and Green army is pretty bad also.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
There is also mics right under the away section so it actually gives a very distorted view of the crowd noise on the TV.

RedSeven

On the one road
There is also mics right under the away section so it actually gives a very distorted view of the crowd noise on the TV.

I suggested recently that we should do a similar thing in the Kop and connected them to loudspeakers in the other stands so it seems everywhere is as loud as one another when we sing/cheer/scream etc.

Billy Stevo's left boot

Born in L5, live in L4, support one L of a team
Yet another cringeworthy moment happened on Sunday, at HT Kevin Keegan (one of the greatest names in this clubs history) and 3 time European Cup winner Terry McDermott got introduced to the crowd, there was barely a ripple of applause.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
I've asked this before and I'm going to keep asking until the club can give me a decent answer: how difficult could it be to ensure that each and every single season ticket is collected in person with passport or driving licence id? I'm certain there are hundreds of dead people still collecting their seasies. it's these I would argue that get on to the touting market. Further, if season tickets actually had to be given up when someone died it would mean the people on the waiting list would get a fairer chance of moving up the list. It's the apathy of the club towards this that really p*sses me off.

redyukka

YNWA
Those season ticket holders need to do what's best for the club in that case.

DEVGRU

Those season ticket holders need to do what's best for the club in that case.
The one's who are flogging their match ticket's won't because it will no longer be a businness for them...selling a match ticket at 100% mark up for profit each week is something the few who are doing so will not stop...they have access to season long business venture.

You fella's know what I am talking about.

DEVGRU

I've asked this before and I'm going to keep asking until the club can give me a decent answer: how difficult could it be to ensure that each and every single season ticket is collected in person with passport or driving licence id? I'm certain there are hundreds of dead people still collecting their seasies. it's these I would argue that get on to the touting market. Further, if season tickets actually had to be given up when someone died it would mean the people on the waiting list would get a fairer chance of moving up the list. It's the apathy of the club towards this that really p*sses me off.
I think if they actually checked ID's at the turnstills and that individual with the match ticket matched the name on the actual ticket, you will see a lot of people getting turned away....but they won't...and here lies part of the problem.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I think if they actually checked ID's at the turnstills and that individual with the match ticket matched the name on the actual ticket, you will see a lot of people getting turned away....but they won't...and here lies part of the problem.
But it's like anything. Announce that from X date, all season ticket holders will need to show ID on the way in. Make a rule and enforce it, simple.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I guess they automatically enroll on line, I actually looked into trying to sell my Palace seat for the game against Swansea and Chelsea (Anyone fancy it I can look into it further) I can't technically do so though I know some allow paper tickets to be issued the Palace don't.

Maybe it's an idea, I after all would be wary of handing my Season Ticket card over to a random.

liver1

I guess they automatically enroll on line, I actually looked into trying to sell my Palace seat for the game against Swansea and Chelsea (Anyone fancy it I can look into it further) I can't technically do so though I know some allow paper tickets to be issued the Palace don't.

Maybe it's an idea, I after all would be wary of handing my Season Ticket card over to a random.
That would be the right solution. Just a simple season ticket plastic card. Given that Anfield will turnover £80million a year it cant be that hard to update all the turnstiles. Even my local gym has a plastic card pass to let me in through the turnstile at the reception.

It also maintains that family and friend connection if you cant make a game. Youd happily give that card to a family member or friend but you wouldnt give it to some random person from the internet you sold the match to several times a year, having to meet up with the person to give them your precious season card then fetch it afterwards again.