• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Anfield Atmosphere Discussion

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Are there really that many "tourist" in Anfield every game in the Kop to justify this type of hostility?

Wouldn't a dialog with the club be a better way to solve this issue. Even the Club must see the downside of the current lack of energy and singing in the crowd, and maybe they not fully aware that it's the number of tickets to the Kop being sold outside of the city and country that are the main reason for it. It could be solved quite easy because the Kop alone is enough to lift the spirit and decibel level of the whole stadion. They really just have to direct the "tourist" (atleast those sold outside the british isles) tickets to the other stands and there you go, the Kop resurrected.

btw: new songs! we lost two very popular songs when we lost Suarez and Gerrard. Even the foreigners from the other side of the world could sing along to them. Hearing us sing old former players songs thursday night was a sad indication of much we lack popular songs these days.

Last edited:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Are these considerations not football wide, rather than LFC specific?Just sounds like postmodernism to me. The death of the real and the birth of simulation.
Very true, agree with this. It makes me puke by now when having to read all this bullshit on the official site about the 'legendary Kop atmosphere' when the club tries to sell some VIP tickets for £300 bucks or so...

It's indeed a general phenomenon in the PL. For me, it has very much to do with most young supporters having been priced out of the stadia now. Safe standing would be a way to get some of them back in there for a fair and affordable price. One only needs to compare the atmosphere with German grounds, and you have a part of the answer of how to fix the problem.

Then again, going back to our peculiar situation, the supporters need to be able to identify with their team, which has been made very difficult for them throughout the last five years or so. There has been such an overhaul of players by different managers that everything feels a bit hollow for the time being.

At the risk of repeating myself, what the club needs is stability, i.e. keeping it's best players, and building a strong team around them. The soulless way how some loyal players were booted by the previous gaffer (ie. Reina, Agger), or the mercantile sales by the club of great players like Alonso, Masch, or Suarez didn't help to be fair. Hell, even the little rat's... err... Sterling's departure, and especially the way how it happened, has been utterly deflating. Add to this Carra's and Gerrard's retirements in the two last years, and you get an empty shell feeling all round the club. That will necessary reflect on the way supporters behave inside Anfield.

That's why I'm so happy to have Klopp among us now. He's certainly one who can reignite that feeling of togetherness between gaffer, players and supporters, something we have been completely bereft of since Rafa was so disgracefully sacked at the time. There was a short time with Kenny as well, way too short though...

Things will get better I think, with results picking up, but more importantly, with the club finding a new credible way how football must be played, and how the manager, the players and the supporters should interact. That 'new' way is actually the way of old which used to be called the 'Liverpool way' formerly (what a surprise...). Klopp certainly has it in himself to re-create a new Liverpool way, and then the supporters will sing out their hearts again.

But the club must also help him by allowing younger supporters into Anfield. It's a must imo, and safe standing is one possible way of going forward without hitting the club's revenues. And even if there was a small hit, it would be worth it. With the current gigantic TV revenues coming in, the loss in competitivity wouldn't be that big.

Edit: also agree that some people coming from the outside must be teached not to behave like f*cking tourists once the game is on. Take selfies as much as you want before and after the game, but while it's on, enjoy the occasion by playing your supporter role, which is actually supporting your team!!!

Last edited:

GreenRedGreen

Are these considerations not football wide, rather than LFC specific?Just sounds like postmodernism to me. The death of the real and the birth of simulation.
'..Just sounds like postmodernism to me. The death of the real and the birth of simulation'

Lovely phrase..

liver1

Sorry but that's bullshit, the crowd should be the 12th man without invitation.. Go listen to the Palace supporters who are getting battered 4-0 away, they sing and chant all game long. For them it's about the family, the experience the result is an added bonus compared to the enjoyment of following your team come rain or shine with your mates.
Its different expectations and standards though. The fans have been worn out over the past 6-7 years. We had one good season, which was the exception rather than the norm, so people are weary.

Klopps right in saying the fans are anxious and dont quite believe, even when songs do break out it doesnt have the same conviction to it and you can tell. The fans are almost going through the motions at the moment because the football and results for so long have just been average.

Fans can try to lift the players but the players must also lift the fans. Fortunately I think Klopp understands this.

Hes not waiting for Anfield to boost his players, hes asking his players to get the crowd going and has alluded to this as much.

Last edited:

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Smart answer Maria!
You are too kind, I am simple person. You guys are the smart ones when you all talk in depth football tactics and analyse all the possible formations every week and pick the player. I have to have a football dictionary next to melol. I had to look up tiki taka and gegenpressing.

Last edited:

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Being brutally honest...look at the mediocrity we assembled here. How many out of that motley crue are worth a song?

'Lalla-lana, Lalalana, hey hey hey...overpriced'

'He's tall, he's shit, he plays when no one's fit, Dejan Lovren...'

'Side to siide - run and hiiide - oh Joey Joey Allen'

Need I elaborate further? Even our best players are either inconsistent, injury prone or have only just got established after we got rid of the last clueless berk who stripped most of the remaining icons out

Sure we had some cloggers here and there in our glory days. Joey Jones etc. But when half your squad are made up of players as bad as, if not worse than him, it would give Casanova Brewers droop

Added to that a naturally ageing demographic of fan (local and outside). Some subsidised tickets for the cups may help a bit but....

This won't be sorted overnight. But trophies, decent football and some quality in the squad would be a step forward. But as said Klopp knows he's got not a lot to work with at this point. There are some that should improve but could well involve a lot more gruel on the pitch not enthusing the crowd first. Two way street unfortunately

Last edited:

jaffod

You are too kind, I am simple person. You guys are the smart ones when you all talk in depth football tactics and analyse all the possible formations every week and pick the player. I have to have a football dictionary next to melol. I had to look up tiki taka and gegenpressing.
Believe me Maria half of them don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. I include myself in that and I've been watching the game for over 40 years. It was the same over on RAWK where someone would throw in a new one - high block, low block, the press, false 9, the number 10 position - or some other shite and they'd be all over it like a rash pretending they knew what they were talking about. Do people talk like that in the boozers after the match? I don't think so and if they did they'd be laughed out of town.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Believe me Maria half of them don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. I include myself in that and I've been watching the game for over 40 years. It was the same over on RAWK where someone would throw in a new one - high block, low block, the press, false 9, the number 10 position - or some other shite and they'd be all over it like a rash pretending they knew what they were talking about. Do people talk like that in the boozers after the match? I don't think so and if they did they'd be laughed out of town.
My favourite is ' trequardisa'...or some shit like that

Or 'second volante'

Hipster heaven......

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
The answer could've pretty simple really.

Get mighty red to rouse the crowd up pre game with some funny tumbles and dances, and hand out more jester hats.... They funny.

Maria

Ad-free Member
My favourite is ' trequardisa'...or some shit like that

Or 'second volante'

Hipster heaven......
Trequardisa what, Rich? ? Who invented that one then? Never ever heard of it. Volante sounds something out of a Dean Martin song .

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Trequardisa what, Rich? ? Who invented that one then? Never ever heard of it. Volante sounds something out of a Dean Martin song .
Second volante seemed to be a term invented when Lucas was struggling to establish himself to justify his position in the side

Trequadista, not sure, think it's a sort of David silva type thing. Lallana might be a burger van trequardisa

Load of nonsense, one of the minor downsides of Rafa's time here, encouraged a lot of mentalists to disappear up their own holes in describing such things in an overly hipstery fashion. Expect a few German versions to appear in due course though

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Trequartista is the Italian word for an advanced playmaker, I've always equated it to the player "in the hole" in English.

Not sure what the huge fuss is about really. Different languages have different words for similar footballing concepts (albeit with some slight nuances which I think only the likes of cardiffpete would enjoy explaining). If cross-cultural awareness equates to some sort of negative hipstery, then I really despair.

To flip it around, let's try and imagine an equally dismissive, self-righteous put-down delivered from Italy taking the piss out of the phrase "in the hole".

It really shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Maria

Ad-free Member
We should have a football phrase word dictionary thread. This is quite interesting. I must say, I do like the word 'gegenpressing', it sounds so technical and cool abit like when people liked saying 'vorsprung durch tecknik' a few years ago.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
For fans like us who are a million miles away, its a dream to watch a game at anfield. Infact,, most of us use our years savings to make the holy trip.
It certainly irks me that now a days, people are more interested in taking selfies, updating their twitter, posting in instagram rather than soaking in the atmosphere. The atmosphere has certainly dipped.
Al though, this might not be a popular idea, id wish that the kop end be priced at cheaper rates so that the local lads fill it up. I am not doubting the passion of fans who are travelling from the other side of the world, but you cant blame them either, they are like little children trying to put as much as candy in their pocket because its available for a short duration.
I remember my first time at Kop end, you dont need camera to capture the occasion, those memories are part of you till you die!
If at all you want to brag at social media sites, go and kiss the Champions league trophy and post it :D

Hope in your heart

Admin
Second volante seemed to be a term invented when Lucas was struggling to establish himself to justify his position in the side

Trequadista, not sure, think it's a sort of David silva type thing. Lallana might be a burger van trequardisa

Load of nonsense, one of the minor downsides of Rafa's time here, encouraged a lot of mentalists to disappear up their own holes in describing such things in an overly hipstery fashion. Expect a few German versions to appear in due course though
Tsk tsk... It's trequartista. I expected better from you, mate... ;-)

As for the German version, it would likely be Dreiviertel-Stürmer or something... and we already have 'Gegenpressing'. Yeahh... :J

Hope in your heart

Admin
Lots of people in the Century Stand leaving today during injury time. What were they thinking?

Otherwise, the atmosphere seemed good I thought, with much more songs being sung today, and a generally positive mood among the fans. Can anyone who was at the match confirm this?

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Very true, agree with this. It makes me puke by now when having to read all this bullshit on the official site about the 'legendary Kop atmosphere' when the club tries to sell some VIP tickets for £300 bucks or so...

That's why I'm so happy to have Klopp among us now. He's certainly one who can reignite that feeling of togetherness between gaffer, players and supporters, something we have been completely bereft of since Rafa was so disgracefully sacked at the time. There was a short time with Kenny as well, way too short though...

Things will get better I think, with results picking up, but more importantly, with the club finding a new credible way how football must be played, and how the manager, the players and the supporters should interact. That 'new' way is actually the way of old which used to be called the 'Liverpool way' formerly (what a surprise...). Klopp certainly has it in himself to re-create a new Liverpool way, and then the supporters will sing out their hearts again.

But the club must also help him by allowing younger supporters into Anfield. It's a must imo, and safe standing is one possible way of going forward without hitting the club's revenues. And even if there was a small hit, it would be worth it. With the current gigantic TV revenues coming in, the loss in competitivity wouldn't be that big.

Edit: also agree that some people coming from the outside must be teached not to behave like f*cking tourists once the game is on. Take selfies as much as you want before and after the game, but while it's on, enjoy the occasion by playing your supporter role, which is actually supporting your team!!!
The simple fact remains..a lot of local lads and lasses can't get into Anfield because they can't afford it. And these are the heart and soul of the city and the team.

Look at what is happening at Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Okey, you could potentially afford Palace and West Ham but....the premier league is neglecting one of the most important segments in the whole pie..and that's the kids and youth..the die hard support..esp in a city like Liverpool where jobs are getting harder to get and keep.

jaffod

Lots of people in the Century Stand leaving today during injury time. What were they thinking?

Otherwise, the atmosphere seemed good I thought, with much more songs being sung today, and a generally positive mood among the fans. Can anyone who was at the match confirm this?
There was a period 2nd half where the Kop were pretty loud and it was decent, other than that it was much the same and I though YNWA at the start was muted which was disappointing given it was Klopp's first PL game at Anfield.

RedSeven

On the one road
There was a period 2nd half where the Kop were pretty loud and it was decent, other than that it was much the same and I though YNWA at the start was muted which was disappointing given it was Klopp's first PL game at Anfield.
Pretty much how I seen it,the Kop was really the only side of the ground singing though.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Even if you lower the prices you'd still get the same in, the fact is even to get a ticket you need a membership ( bar cup games, if my parents weren't coming to visit on Wednesday I'd head up for the cup match).

But Rich has touched on it, what songs do we have for most of the team, and do half the team even merit one. The club is going through a transition, I will cut those attending some slack as they pay a lot to watch a 70% performance. If we start playing better The atmosphere will return in my view.

Crystal Palace have a small section by the way the atmosphere is better but it's not the be all and end all bar the ultras, also it's half of what Anfield is, then again the family stand is still decent what they do have is lots of songs and I'm paying the equivalent of around £25 a game

DEVGRU

I think, honestly, the atmosphere will return once the team starts winning...we haven't won in what...5-6 games?

It was the same muted reaction for the most part towards the end of Houllier's time as manager and the same during the Souness year's.

We are just on a really bad run at the moment...things will come together...just need to keep your chin up and be patient.

DEVGRU

Are there really that many "tourist" in Anfield every game in the Kop to justify this type of hostility?

Wouldn't a dialog with the club be a better way to solve this issue. Even the Club must see the downside of the current lack of energy and singing in the crowd, and maybe they not fully aware that it's the number of tickets to the Kop being sold outside of the city and country that are the main reason for it. It could be solved quite easy because the Kop alone is enough to lift the spirit and decibel level of the whole stadion. They really just have to direct the "tourist" (atleast those sold outside the british isles) tickets to the other stands and there you go, the Kop resurrected.

btw: new songs! we lost two very popular songs when we lost Suarez and Gerrard. Even the foreigners from the other side of the world could sing along to them. Hearing us sing old former players songs thursday night was a sad indication of much we lack popular songs these days.
I don't think it has to do with the club....supporters with season tickets are selling their tickets via third party ticket firms to outsiders and tourist. It's pretty normal these days. Happens at ALL the grounds for all the teams playing in the premier league.

The club is now a global iconic brand..as much as we hate accepting this at times...but we have support all the way in East Timor, Argentina, Canada, Iceland...India..China...it's inevitable tourist do visit the UK and will try to, if they can get tickets get to anfield to catch a match at least once in their lives...

Travelling to the UK is neither cheap for most nor something they will do each year..for most, it's a ONCE IN A LIFE time OPPORTUNITY to watch their favourite club at home and to soak in the atmosphere because it's that amazing for most just to be there.

RedSeven

On the one road
Because of this and other discussions i paid extra attention to what was going on around me and to individual players on the pitch.

I'm fairly sure i heard the Southampton fans singing "Anfield is boring "at yesterdays game,did anyone else who attended the game hear this?
The high seats in the Kop seemed to be creating the most noise,fans standing,arms in the air and singing the songs while closer to the pitch(kop) the supporters looked like they were less inclinded to start things off.
Plenty of locals and OOTs around me in the main stand not joining in with the singing and not all that vocal in general until something of note happened,noticed a few on their phones as well.
Heard a Lfc supporter tell his mates he wanted a draw as he'd just put on a bet.

TBH i would have preferred to have just watched the game for what i was,a chance to see my team play at Anfield,cheer and encourage them on throughout the whole game and sing when i feel a bit more confident to do so.