• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Anfield Atmosphere Discussion

Dortmund fan

It's fishing time!
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp asks Anfield crowd to create 'special’ welcome for West Bromwich Albion

German asks fans and players to create cauldron of noise at Anfield

Jürgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, has called on his players and the supporters to create “the best atmosphere in the last 10 years” at Anfield on Sunday against a West Bromwich Albion team sure to be short on seasonal goodwill.

“It is close to Christmas, and people are maybe concentrating on other things,” Klopp said on Saturday. “But when we come together tomorrow, we should all be prepared for a very special moment. Maybe we can create the best atmosphere in the last 10 years.

“If we have to play against doubts, then it is difficult. Maybe we can make it a very special atmosphere. Like all things in life, you can wait for the moment or you can create the moment.

“Hopefully, we can create the moment. I’m always close to a good atmosphere in myself. If other people can join us in this, then that will be cool.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/12047910/Liverpool-manager-Jurgen-Klopp-asks-Anfield-crowd-to-create-special-welcome-for-West-Bromwich-Albion.html

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
God TAW article which touches indirectly on the Anfield atmosphere whilst primarily havign a go at daft kick-off times for distant away games that don't benefit the travelling fans.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/12/liverpool-why-we-should-be-kicking-off-about-tv-match-times/
Again it's another 4pm kick off today, and this isn't even to do with TV.

Not sure an hour makes much difference in the life of a footballer and they used to play them at 3pm if they were none UK televised.

Not sure what changed, I'm still trying to work out why that one a few weeks back was moved to 4.15 to match the tv game. Had no respect for Swansea fans who could potentially get home but very late on a Sunday and it wasn't like it was moved to give as much time as our fellow Europa league competitiors Spurs because they kicked off at 12 noon.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Poor Jurgen. I sometimes feel sorry for him when I see him desperately trying to improve the atmosphere and connection between fans and players. Pre-WBA match notes and post-match salute he led are the latest indication of that, at times he seems like he's finding it harder to get fans behind the players than to get Benteke scoring.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Anfield was rocking in the second half today. When we scored the equaliser Klopp was going nuts and urging the crowd to do the same. It was fantastic. Can't ever remember seeing a Liverpool manager do that. It felt like a corner was turned today on Anfield atmosphere. The crowd were doing their bit. Now we just need the team to do theirs.

Dortmund fan

It's fishing time!
Anfield was rocking in the second half today. When we scored the equaliser Klopp was going nuts and urging the crowd to do the same. It was fantastic. Can't ever remember seeing a Liverpool manager do that. It felt like a corner was turned today on Anfield atmosphere. The crowd were doing their bit. Now we just need the team to do theirs.
Yes. That's atmosphere Klopp needs to jump, to fight, to run...

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I wonder if it would be feasible to allocate a match or two a season to some sort of 'younger fan day'... a bit out there, but it would be at least interesting to see how it would alter the atmosphere in contrast to the regular crowd.
A single "kids for a quid with a full paying adult" would be a great gesture and occasion.

GreenRedGreen

A single "kids for a quid with a full paying adult" would be a great gesture and occasion.
Nice phrase, and often those types of things capture people's imaginations.. I think it's something to look at alright..

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Do the club then cuts the budget down a bit because of that? Since it would be a loss making gesture too...

Rushies 'Stache

@brightonpete I doubt it the form they are in, if we are not careful it'll be a beating. The tinkerman has them playing without fear home or away, and they just go for it. The atmosphere at King Power is electric at the moment and stadium is literally bouncing like Anfield used to. If we put in a few performances like Leicester instead of the abject drivel like against west brom, Newcastle or sion I reckon Anfield would be rockin again.

Dortmund fan

It's fishing time!
Jurgen Klopp's celebrations should be embraced in the Premier League

Jurgen Klopp caused a stir on Sunday by encouraging his players to celebrate in front of the Kop following Liverpool's late equaliser against West Brom. The German coach has been criticised, but Adam Bate makes the case for greater fan interaction in the Premier League...

Saturday at Selhurst Park marked the tenth anniversary of the formation of the Holmesdale Fanatics, a group of supporters who've done much to make the atmosphere at Crystal Palace among the best in the country. Their contribution continues to be recognised by key figures at the club.

"Many of them were instrumental in protesting in the days leading up to our takeover in 2010, and helping Lloyds see that this club couldn't be left to die," acknowledged chairman Steve Parish in his programme notes. Alan Pardew expressed similar sentiments.

"They have played a huge role in helping to define Palace in this modern era," said Pardew. That explains why he made a concerted effort to get his players to stride over to applaud that section of supporters after the team's win over Southampton. The response seemed a little underwhelming.

Damien Delaney took the lead, ushering several team-mates in the general direction of the fans behind the goal. But it was an unconvincing herding job. Wilfried Zaha almost got within 40 yards of them, while many others simply bounded off down the tunnel.

Not that the Palace fans will feel slighted. No doubt they are delighted by the performances of their team and, as a result, feel they are getting plenty back from their players. There is community work and it's routine for footballers to thank supporters from the safety of their social media accounts.

But given that the bond between fans and team at Selhurst Park is better than most, it also illustrated the distance that has come to exist as a matter of course - and acted as a prelude to the events at Anfield the following day.

The decision of Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp to indulge in some orchestrated fan interaction on the pitch after Sunday's 2-2 draw with West Brom soon brought about a predictable backlash. How dare he celebrate and drink in the applause of the crowd after an unconvincing draw at home?

Of course, the context was important here. Klopp was thanking supporters for their backing in light of the perceived criticism directed at them when some left early with the team one goal down to Palace last month. For Klopp, the stoppage-time equaliser showed what was possible together.

But his initial criticism and the subsequent derision he has received in some quarters for the scenes upon the final whistle at Anfield remain telling. Palace and Liverpool are among the more passionate fans in England but even at these clubs, it remains rare to witness public displays such as this.

Such interactions are more common-place in Germany and while it would be naïve to believe Klopp has been genuinely shocked by what he's seen in England, it would not be a surprise if he is keen to build something similar at Anfield.

Is there something to be said for embracing this change in culture? Extolling the virtues of the Bundesliga usually extends to issues such as ticket prices, safe standing and fan ownership and it's easy to regard it as a panacea for the perceived ills of the Premier League.

But while some of these matters are complicated, this basic bond forged between fans and players ought to be the simplest to recreate. Instead it is too often treated as though it's impossible - a relic of a bygone era that can never return.

Nostalgia for the days of drinking in the local pub with the players after the game is treated with sepia-tinged reverence. But the match-day experience could still see closer unity and, cynicism aside, the actions of the Liverpool players on Sunday are likely to be lapped up by many on the Kop.

Every fan wants to feel that bond and many crave it more than ever now that wealthy footballers feel increasingly distant. John Paintsil, for example, became something of a cult hero thanks to his habit of celebrating with a lap of honour. It's the sort of act that creates a connection.

In doing so, something special can happen. Fans want their club to win but sometimes this desire is distinct from the team. By forging a genuine bond, supporters want to see the players win too. That can be a powerful force late on in games when so many results are decided.

Moreover, it can bring empathy when things are not going so well. Klopp knows from experience how forgiving the fans were during his final season at Dortmund and the display of support following a home defeat to Hamburg in October 2014 was particularly emotional. It makes a club stronger.

Pardew, who celebrated with supporters on Saturday, knows this. These public displays of affection might feel forced, perhaps even styled as un-British, but Klopp was not celebrating mediocrity. He was celebrating with the fans rather than just in front of them. Surely that's a good thing?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10100444/jurgen-klopps-celebrations-should-be-embraced-in-the-premier-league

RedLar

assuming we all reckon the kop drives the atmosphere, then the first thing I'd do to revive the kop / atmosphere is remove all the seats, and let it go back to being a first come first served stand. The weekly pilgrimage it was back when I was a lad. You simply went on match day and queued up to get in. If it was United, or Forrest (top team at the time) then it wouldn't hurt to get there around 2 o'clock for a 3 kick off. Once in, pick up your favourite spec. Ours was a little over crossbar height behind the goal. Front of the barrier. Get your Mars bar or wrigleys off the field attendant, and settle in for the match. Chant thru the team names as they warmed up. If lucky, you got a voucher for the derby match. Otherwise - all home games were first come basis, and then they locked her up, when it was full. I've been inside at around 2:15 and the kop has been locked. Was the same for over 30 odd years when I started going back in the mid 60s. None of this ticket shyte, with the same plonkers in the same seats every week. I mean, for starters, how did they organize who got the good spec seats behind the goal? For eternity?

Anyway, once it went all seater, I always wondered what necessarily happened to that same crowd of lads who always resided in the vocal zone just behind the keeper. If they were like me, they didn't have 2 bob to rub together, let alone afford a season fucking ticket. You just went the match. Might hear the odd woolly-back, but in general, it was all scousers. Not today. Today fellas are just sitting there half the time looking bored, taking pictures. The last match against west Brom, until Klopp started waving his arms about, the place was a mausoleum. Most matches this season have been bereft of real atmosphere. Not helped by some of the footy quality, but perhaps the atmosphere is equally to blame for dull performances. Don't see us taking out seats. Don't see us making it a ticket free zone. Don't see atmosphere improving much either.

For me, some of our best atmospheres now are created by those who travel to the away matches. Wonder how many of them are without season tickets - and unable to even get into Anfield. I am betting there are a fair few.

The last time I was on the kop - the only tickets we could get were in the very last row of the stand, on the very far right - on the centenary side. To be honest, I felt embarrassed to be sitting there. Even when locked out, with nearly 30,000 on the kop, back in my day, people wouldn't even stand in these corners unless they wanted a bit of elbow room for a ciggy, or a piss.

Last edited:

deucalion

sprechen Sie Kloppo?
As a whole, fans in England will never be like those in Germany or even like at a few clubs in Italy. In England fans expect the players to do something to get the fans noisy and worked up. In Germany it's the opposite. There is more of a symbiotic relationship and far less cynicism over there. The Premier League cynics really loved Klopp's salute to the Kop. Imagine how many LFC fans would have reacted if Mourinho or Wenger had done something similar.

Dortmund fan

It's fishing time!
:) TIA writer Chris visited two games in Germany (one of them was in the stadium of YNWA team Mainz). It's very interesting what he writes about atmosphere there.

Cheap tickets, free transport, safe-standing and atmospheres – The German football fan experience

Chris Williams went to watch two games in Germany last weekend, finding the whole experience a world away from what the matchgoing fan is served up in England.

I’ve seen the future and it’s German – I’m not talking about LFC or Jurgen Klopp I’m talking about football; not just the game on the pitch the atmosphere in the stands and the way your average German fan is treated.

Read the full article here:

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/12/german-football-experience-mainz-hoffenheim/

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I can't remember which pundits said it but I've heard a few people criticise Klopp getting the team together to salute the fans at the end of the West Brom game. They said that it was more of a "continental" thing and they were clearly dismissive of it.

The thing is - other things that are decidedly "continental" are great atmospheres. Great connections between the fans and the players. Cheap ticket prices. Safe-standing. Fan ownership. Focus on developing home-grown talent.

The fact that something appears "continental" seems to me to be something we probably ought to embrace, not deride.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I can't remember which pundits said it but I've heard a few people criticise Klopp getting the team together to salute the fans at the end of the West Brom game. They said that it was more of a "continental" thing and they were clearly dismissive of it.
Chris Burley is one of them, he said there is nothing to celebrate not knowing he isn't celebrating the result, but the fans. These fuckers need to get with the program, fans included.

Dortmund fan

It's fishing time!
Liverpool FC fans deliver huge backing for Klopp's post-WBA thanking for Kop

Reds boss was right to line up players after late equaliser say overwhelming majority of supporters

Liverpool fans have delivered a ringing endorsement of Jurgen Klopp’s actions in lining his players up in front of the Kop to thank them for their support at the end of Sunday’s 2-2 draw with West Brom.

An exclusive ECHO poll has revealed that 77% of fans from thousands of responses back the manager’s decision to gather his players together in a collective gesture of appreciation for the fans after Divock Origi’s 95th minute equaliser.

Opposition fans had been quick to ridicule the gesture and there were eyebrows raised among some Reds too, coming as it did after a 2-2 home draw with WBA which must be considered two points dropped.

However Klopp spoke after the game of how Anfield had delivered a special moment.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-fans-deliver-huge-10599904

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
A Manchester fan work colleague of mine said it was cool on Monday morning to me, as I saw it he was thanking the fans nothing with wrong with that.

brush85

Chris Burley is one of them, he said there is nothing to celebrate not knowing he isn't celebrating the result, but the fans. These fuckers need to get with the program, fans included.
Its important to have those people around. It's always nice to know if you are right about something by checking if it is completely different to the opinion of someone like Burley.