Anfield Expansion - Anfield Road End (Main Stand Completed)

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
If the ARE turns out anywhere near as good as the Main Stand it should be fine. I noticed that although the stand looks a whole lot bigger, the away fans' section now looks tiny in comparison. I wonder how this will affect the dynamic during games? Hopefully the increased capacity will be taken up by fans that want to sing.
I'd shove the away fans in the top corner of the new Annie Rd upper stand - like many other stadiums do for away fans. From an atmosphere perspective, I think Annie Rd is 2nd only to the Kop.

Anfield will be even more intimidating.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Inside the stadium however, I feel that it looks a bit too generic, almost like a carbon copy of the main stand (apart from being a two-tier instead of a three-tier).
I think the main problem with those images is the grey walls in the background. It makes it look like a render ( which of course it is!). I kind of recall during the main stand consultation them having an angle of the main stand in the design images where you couldn't see the very last row of seats so it looked like it went on forever, and didn't look cheap and rendered. That big line of grey in the ARE render looks real cheap.

It will be much better in reality.

RedSeven

On the one road
No qualms from me about how it looks from the outside. Inside the stadium however, I feel that it looks a bit too generic, almost like a carbon copy of the main stand (apart from being a two-tier instead of a three-tier). I'd like it to evolve towards a design which would keep the strong identity of each stand at Anfield, as it is now. And I think it can be achieved without too many problems. A few tweaks here and there would do the job.

Edit: I wonder whether it could be envisaged to move the Kop to the ARE, create a one-tier 'Red wall', and move the away fans to the current Kop. Anyone knows whether that would be working? Or are the supporters in the Kop too emotionally attached to the current stand to make the move?

Better to move the away fans somewhere else (preferably outside)and create a "rival/competing" Kop in the ARE to push each other on.With a Kop at each end no one would ever question the Anfield atmosphere again.

lfc.8

Looks good. Fits in well with the main stand and the exterior which wraps around as well. Corners not being filled though which would have increased capacity more.

Hopefully the process around planning and acceptance is all quite straight forward and there's little to no hiccups. Also assume there will be further planning application around holding concerts, events and so forth and hoping there will be more flexibility around this to maximise revenue.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Better to move the away fans somewhere else (preferably outside)and create a "rival/competing" Kop in the ARE to push each other on.With a Kop at each end no one would ever question the Anfield atmosphere again.
I would put them bottom corner of the Main Stand and have both ends all home fans, would even say make the new Anfield Road End one Tier that would really create a statement

RedSeven

On the one road
I would put them bottom corner of the Main Stand and have both ends all home fans, would even say make the new Anfield Road End one Tier that would really create a statement
I'd go as far as saying the club should do their best to fill both those ends with locals/regular match goers as much as is possible.

bazza66

TIA Oldie, still in the Youth Team though
Ad-free Member
I'd shove the away fans in the top corner of the new Annie Rd upper stand - like many other stadiums do for away fans. From an atmosphere perspective, I think Annie Rd is 2nd only to the Kop.

Anfield will be even more intimidating.
Yes, or even go one better - move the away fans into top and bottom of the corner of the Annie. I remember Bolton being a bit like that a few years ago, and it felt like we were all too spread out to create an atmosphere. Or as liveforthereds said, a small area at the bottm of the main stand. Maybe move them to the Kenny, so they can experience sore shins and cramp from the restricted space? It will all depend on crowd safety issues and policing logistics, though.

It would be good to get some noise competition again. The derby 5-2 (love typing that) was the first time I've been in the Annie Rd for years, and the atmosphere was pretty good.

When I was a kid it was the Annie Rd vs the Kop, in terms of loudness. The "Kopites are gobshites" thing was actually sung by the Annie Road. and there was lots of mutual piss taking. It was as if the away fans weren't really there, or they were intruding on a private conversation. The Annie Rd lot always thought they were the real edgy scalls, who really created the atmosphere. Sad bastards!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I’ve never seen us win in the Annie road stand, I passed on a ticket against Man City for that reason a few years back luckily after refreshing later that day a prime seat in the Kop appeared and we won 4-3.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Livvy posted the video on Klopp & Wenger in the "Jürgen Klopp: The Bossest of Bosses" thread...
One important thing that I thought about well before watching the video, or before reading the most recent article in The Echo, is about the stadium, is the atmosphere and the spirit of Anfield.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/staying-anfield-right-option-liverpool-17489876

Arsene Wenger talked about Anfield, the atmosphere. Then he talked about Highbury, and now Emirates. He then said, "We have left our soul in Highbury." I am so glad that Anfield remains as the home of LFC.

[email protected]

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
According to the Echo:

"Liverpool are confident their proposed £60million Anfield expansion will be complete by the summer of 2022.

The Premier League leaders are aiming to build on their current framework to take the capacity past the 60,000 mark over the next two-and-a-half years.

The second stage of the Reds' public consultation started on Wednesday with local residents once more invited to share their thoughts on the expanding of the iconic stadium...

...Around 7,000 additional seats are wanted with the majority to be sold as general admission.
An outline of the number of those seats within the stand would be 5200, with around 1800 lounge and sports-bar style hospitality.

That means the Anfield Road's potential upgrade to 16,000 will be bigger than the Kop's current capacity by a third, taking the ground's total up to 61,000, making it the third highest in the top flight behind Manchester United and Tottenham.

Once the second stage of the consultation has been completed and feedback has been assessed, the submission of a planning application will be presented to Liverpool City Council in the spring."

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I wanted to see inside too. It supposed to be one of the world leading training complex facilities after the building is completed
That side is constantly updated and new pictures etc. from all possible sources are added. I am also very curious to see how it looks from the inside tbh, it will probably not be long before the first pictures appear.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Just wanted to ask yesterday what's the latest with that season ticket list, has the number gone down (new people managed to get in?) or not?

Pearce for the Athletic: "It has yet to be determined how many of those seats will be offered to the 23,000 supporters on the club’s season ticket waiting list which has been closed since 2011."

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Just wanted to ask yesterday what's the latest with that season ticket list, has the number gone down (new people managed to get in?) or not?

Pearce for the Athletic: "It has yet to be determined how many of those seats will be offered to the 23,000 supporters on the club’s season ticket waiting list which has been closed since 2011."
Well I'm sure it used to be 40k + so it is coming down. Waiting to get myself and my son on it!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

Some new season tickets were given out when the new Main Stand was opened. More might be freed up through the Fan Update scheme which the club launched this season. This is the first step the club have taken in tackling the issue of membership cards and season tickets being used by someone other than than the rightful holder. The first stage of this was directed at those membership cards held by those with 13+ credits. All those card holders who weren't able to provide photo ID linked to the ID on the card had their cards cancelled. Approx 20% were cancelled. The first immediate benefit of the exercise was that more seats were made available to members. Never been so easy to get a ticket for the United game this season. This will eventually be rolled out to all members and then season ticket holders so expect a few more to be freed up. With this and the ARE I would expect several thousand more season tickets will be made available over the next 3 years or so, but still a pipe-dream to be thinking about getting one if you're not already on the list.