Anfield Expansion - Anfield Road End (Main Stand Completed)

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The guy on the tour suggested they would need a massive overhaul of transport infrascture to go beyond the capacity they will achieve post Anfield Road.

So I assume for now this is what we will get to, saying that I think the Main stand has been another vital cog in us competing again.

liver1

The guy on the tour suggested they would need a massive overhaul of transport infrascture to go beyond the capacity they will achieve post Anfield Road.

So I assume for now this is what we will get to, saying that I think the Main stand has been another vital cog in us competing again.
When you look at the larger stadiums across Europe, Wembley, Bernabeu, Westfalen Stadion, Allianz Arena, Old Trafford they all tend to be industrial sites in the middle of nowhere so there is a negative to some of these big stadiums.

60-65k I think is a good size, its a big stadium but it still maintains that intimacy. I wonder as well if increasing the capacity via safe standing would require new transport infrastructure as whilst there would be the increase in people, no real building changes have taken place.

GaryBarlow99

I'd love FSG to upgrade the Kenny and the Kop in the future but just don't think it will be financially viable for hardly any change in capacity.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I know rail seating/safe standing doesn't always go down well with our fans, but if they could do it in the Kop, and therefore increase the capacity in the Kop, that would be a sensible move imo? Not sure if you can actually get more however.

I've never been on the Kop personally, and usually sit in either the Main Stand or the Kenny, usually close to the Kop, and you rarely see people sat anyway.

liver1

I know rail seating/safe standing doesn't always go down well with our fans, but if they could do it in the Kop, and therefore increase the capacity in the Kop, that would be a sensible move imo? Not sure if you can actually get more however.

I've never been on the Kop personally, and usually sit in either the Main Stand or the Kenny, usually close to the Kop, and you rarely see people sat anyway.
When SOS did a poll a couple of years ago 88% of Liverpool fans supported safe standing.

Supposedly it can result in an increase by a ratio of 1.8 or 2 to 1. Even if it was just a conservative 1.5 to 1 it would increase the Kop capacity by 50% to 18000.

At the end of the day safe standing is nothing like the old terraced standing where people use to go into the standing area and stand where they want like in a mosh pit at a concert. The rail seats actually makes it safer as youve got something to hold onto to so you dont fall over.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
When SOS did a poll a couple of years ago 88% of Liverpool fans supported safe standing.

Supposedly it can result in an increase by a ratio of 1.8 or 2 to 1. Even if it was just a conservative 1.5 to 1 it would increase the Kop capacity by 50% to 18000.

At the end of the day safe standing is nothing like the old terraced standing where people use to go into the standing area and stand where they want like in a mosh pit at a concert. The rail seats actually makes it safer as youve got something to hold onto to so you dont fall over.
Because the space per seat on the Kop is so restricted, (it is right on the bottom limit of acceptability in the Green Guide) it is unlikely that the introduction of rail seating / standing would increase capacity by anything more than about 30%.

However, due to the more generous dimensions of rail seating, the capacity for European games, which will still be all seater, would be about 20% lower than current capacity.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
When you look at the larger stadiums across Europe, Wembley, Bernabeu, Westfalen Stadion, Allianz Arena, Old Trafford they all tend to be industrial sites in the middle of nowhere so there is a negative to some of these big stadiums.

60-65k I think is a good size, its a big stadium but it still maintains that intimacy. I wonder as well if increasing the capacity via safe standing would require new transport infrastructure as whilst there would be the increase in people, no real building changes have taken place.
Yeah 60-65k suits me. I'm so glad we stayed at they made it work. Anfield on match day with Klopp in charge is so different to how it was even when we were chasing the title under Rodgers.

Main stand has helped so much.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

I was converted to safe standing after the City game. I was on the Kop for the first team in years. Stopped standing just before Hillsborough as I had a bad crushing experience at a game at Spurs and lost my nerve but I could only get a Kop ticket for the City game and of course everyone stands. It's just inherently unsafe. For Mane's goal the fella behind me pushed me into the person in front and there was a domino effect of people all falling on top of each other over the seats in front of them. Probably happens every week but you could easily get injured and with safe standing in place you just wouldn't get that.

I am surprised we seem to be getting the go ahead for going beyond 60K without a transport strategy to go with it. At least I haven't seen anything yet. A lot of people drive there and the parking situation will be chaotic with another 7000 rolling up on a match day. I am hoping the club do some kind of park and ride scheme to go with it. I am not looking forward to rolling up 4 hours before a game just to get a space on the street.

Yeah 60-65k suits me. I'm so glad we stayed at they made it work. Anfield on match day with Klopp in charge is so different to how it was even when we were chasing the title under Rodgers.

Main stand has helped so much.
Main Stand has made a massive difference. I thought it might ruin the atmosphere as it's so much bigger than the Kop but it's enhanced it. Klopp's arrival has helped of course. They made a really good job of the Main Stand. Great seating, views, facilities. Top notch. Sure the ARE will be just as good and it badly needs an overhaul. Has some crap views especially for visiting fans.

61K as a capacity is about right. I can't see us going much higher than that given all the difficulties around expanding the Kenny and Kop.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
@Billy Biskix - There will have to be a transport assessment submitted alongside the new planning app. The planning app wouldn't be validated without one.

As the club/developers are still at early consultation stage, there won't be any details of transport strategy, or many other details such as amenity impacts, noise etc. At this stage the club are, through the second phase, responding to key issues that have been raised through the first phase consultation, in order to try and understand what needs to be done to overcome the issues prior to any planning application being submitted. Front loading any development planning like this ensures the club/planning consultants aren't caught out later on, once the application is in, by something they weren't expecting.

Note, there is zero requirement for the club to be doing the consultations they've done so far. The only formal consultation actually required is the one the council will run once an application is submitted. What the club are doing now is being a good neighbour and trying to address the local residents concerns. Planning is decided by a democratically elected committee, therefore having the locals on side first means less pain later.

Anfield-Fan99

I am building a self-created model of new Anfield-Road-Stand at the moment. It is no ordinary model, because there is integrated a replica of Hillsboroughs West-Stand where Hillsborough-Tragedy happened in 1989. The Hillsborough replica is surrounded by a stand which is similar to Kop.

richieh10

My Understanding of safe standing is that it wouldn’t increase capacity as the space for a seat is just converted into a standing area.

would love to see it come in though, as people have said the vast majority of people stand in an unsafe manner anyhow.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
My Understanding of safe standing is that it wouldn’t increase capacity as the space for a seat is just converted into a standing area.

would love to see it come in though, as people have said the vast majority of people stand in an unsafe manner anyhow.
You get roughly 3 standing to every 2 seats (at best) or 4 standing to every 3 seats (more realistic) which is why people believe it will increase capacity BUT that doesn't take into account that the "seats" in a rail seating set up are both a lot wider and the rows a lot deeper than Anfield seating currently is. So to introduce safe standing you are significantly decreasing the capacity at games that need to be all seated compared to what it currently is. I'm not convinced there would be an actual increase in capacity during games when standing takes place either. Youd need the size measurements for the seats, rows etc. not just guesswork.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Just in time for what, as things stand, could be Klopp's last season (23/24).

:LOL:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I think the Athletic is free for a month, so here's Pearce's piece:

Oh well. A year more it is, what can you do. Can't wait to see that broken current corner between the Main Stand and ARE gone. Will be much cleaner on that side with the new work. Remains to be seen how it's linked (the roof that is) with Kenny's stand. Probably similar to how the Main Stand is with the Kop.

Anfield-Fan99

I designed a solution for how supporters could visit matches of LFC in times of the corona virus:
A drive-in stadium similar to a drive-in cinema in which cars are parked on the stands. It could be set up like a temporary grandstand or parking garage in a few days and dismantled again after the season.