Anfield Expansion - Main Stand and potential Anfield Road End

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
There would be a reason why they won't adopt safe standing for the ARE.... It's not currently allowed.

Why spend extra money on something you might still not to be able to use, considering winter breaks and VAR have taken ages to be implement don't expect it to be back in the PL before 2025.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ the big dog's doodahs
The thread
Anfield expansion - Main stand COMPLETED
Anfield expansion - Anfield Road end ????

The elephant in the thread, so to speak, of safe standing can, in this thread, only be applied to the Anfield Road end otherwise it really has no place in this thread. So are we solely talking of the possibility of bringing in safe standing at that end only if it's sanctioned or am I losing the thread?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The thread
Anfield expansion - Main stand COMPLETED
Anfield expansion - Anfield Road end ????

The elephant in the thread, so to speak, of safe standing can, in this thread, only be applied to the Anfield Road end otherwise it really has no place in this thread. So are we solely talking of the possibility of bringing in safe standing at that end only if it's sanctioned or am I losing the thread?
This thread is actually a catch-all for stadium build issues, with a title that is amended to pick up the current focus. The very first post predates the finalized decision to stay at Anfield, and the previous version of the title said nothing about the Anfield Road End. The next title might well include something about the Kop, and perhaps something about safe standing if it comes to it.

William Clarke

This thread is actually a catch-all for stadium build issues, with a title that is amended to pick up the current focus. The very first post predates the finalized decision to stay at Anfield, and the previous version of the title said nothing about the Anfield Road End. The next title might well include something about the Kop, and perhaps something about safe standing if it comes to it.
Thanks for the heads up. It's just that I was going by the title of the thread which is : Anfield Expansion - Main Stand and Potential Anfield Road End. If safe standing, etc, is to include all Anfield then I have wasted Posting space and give you my apologies.

William Clarke

I hope our FSG management decide to increase the capacity at the Anfield Road End. To compete with the other top five clubs our ability to increase our finances is imperative. Of the predictions that have been made so far my personal preference is for a triple tier in a similar style to that of the Main Stand. Whether our club's finances will stretch to an improvement of this magnitude is something only our owners are privy to, but I live in hope that it can be accomplished.

redfanman

TIA Regular
I hope our FSG management decide to increase the capacity at the Anfield Road End. To compete with the other top five clubs our ability to increase our finances is imperative. Of the predictions that have been made so far my personal preference is for a triple tier in a similar style to that of the Main Stand. Whether our club's finances will stretch to an improvement of this magnitude is something only our owners are privy to, but I live in hope that it can be accomplished.
United have almost double our income. Increasing ours through ARD probably won't make that big a difference. We need better commercial deals which require consistent CL qualification and winning trophies....or a very very rich and generous sugar daddy to match the richest clubs financially year on year.

William Clarke

United have almost double our income. Increasing ours through ARD probably won't make that big a difference. We need better commercial deals which require consistent CL qualification and winning trophies....or a very very rich and generous sugar daddy to match the richest clubs financially year on year.
Yeah, when it comes to finances, riches, compared to what I call the 'big three' moneybags clubs - Chelski, Citeh and the Mancs, we are dining on the scraps off their table. If either of those three want a player, bang, the job's done. If we want a top player we have to try and pry them away from their clubs, and usually fail to land them. We really do need more income and, as you say, better commercial deals at home and around the world, but we also have to increase the capacity of the ground, to be able to get a steady, continual profit there. And the first ground improvement has to be the Anfield Road End.

[email protected]

Yeah, when it comes to finances, riches, compared to what I call the 'big three' moneybags clubs - Chelski, Citeh and the Mancs, we are dining on the scraps off their table. If either of those three want a player, bang, the job's done. If we want a top player we have to try and pry them away from their clubs, and usually fail to land them. We really do need more income and, as you say, better commercial deals at home and around the world, but we also have to increase the capacity of the ground, to be able to get a steady, continual profit there. And the first ground improvement has to be the Anfield Road End.
Well yes, and no. Chelsea wanted Lukaku, got shafted. United wanted Perisic(?), got shafted, City were odds on to get Sanchez, got shafted. Not to mention that VVD was courted by City, no?

William Clarke

Well yes, and no. Chelsea wanted Lukaku, got shafted. United wanted Perisic(?), got shafted, City were odds on to get Sanchez, got shafted. Not to mention that VVD was courted by City, no?
Yeah, the big three do have their hiccups like we do, but overall their spending power is far superior to ours. Yeah, you're going to talk of the top dollar we paid for VVD, but that as you very well know was a one-off. If we went after a player one of the big three really, and I mean really wanted, do you honestly believe we would be successful? We bought VVD beating Citeh to the punch, but they already had a wealth of centre backs, so they didn't push that hard to get him. What the previous Posts were talking about was us as a club being able to increase our overall finances in order to compete against the big three on a level playing field.

bazza66

TIA Youth Team
To paraphrase a very wise man: we have a bow and arrow and sometimes hit our targets. They however, have a bazooka.

[email protected]

Yeah, the big three do have their hiccups like we do, but overall their spending power is far superior to ours. Yeah, you're going to talk of the top dollar we paid for VVD, but that as you very well know was a one-off. If we went after a player one of the big three really, and I mean really wanted, do you honestly believe we would be successful? We bought VVD beating Citeh to the punch, but they already had a wealth of centre backs, so they didn't push that hard to get him. What the previous Posts were talking about was us as a club being able to increase our overall finances in order to compete against the big three on a level playing field.
I believe Chelsea really wanted Ox as well. Ok, I will stop now

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
I agree, the most significant difference in income, between ourselves and manure, is the gap in commercial revenues.

Using the latest figures published by Deloitte Football Money League, our total income, for the season 2016/17, was £354.5 million of which £138.9 million was generated by commercial activity, matchday revenue £68.8 million, and £156.8 million from broadcasting.

The comparable figures for manure were, total revenue £581.2 million, commercial £279.5 million, matchday revenue £107.6 million, and £194.1 million from broadcasting.

The gap in matchday revenues is £38.8 million, compared to a gap of £140.6 million in commercial revenues. So the comparable difference in commercial revenues is far more significant. (Indeed, had we played as many home games in 2016/17 as in 2015/16 (24 compared with 31) our matchday revenue might have been over £15 million more, making the matchday gap even less significant.)

The expansion of ARE might generate additional matchday revenue of somewhere between £6 million and £9 million per annum, depending on the actual increase in capacity, the mix of corporate seats, the number of home games etc.

However, this increase in revenue has to be offset against the capital cost of remodelling / rebuilding the ARE. Depending on construction costs, it might take c.10 years before the club sees any financial benefit.

To us, as fans, the benefit of increasing the capacity of Anfield is a given. To Liverpool, as a business, the financial benefits of this expansion are far less certain compared with the benefit of increased commercial revenue.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The numbers for the ARE they put out a year or two ago were pretty dismal. The payback was somewhere around 15 years as I recall, which is a long enough time horizon that it is a very questionable project in financial terms. I think they have subsequently revised some of the plans to pull that number in, but it still isn't compelling.

As redfanman notes, the capital is better spent elsewhere if the objective is strictly financial returns.

William Clarke

I agree, the most significant difference in income, between ourselves and manure, is the gap in commercial revenues.

Using the latest figures published by Deloitte Football Money League, our total income, for the season 2016/17, was £354.5 million of which £138.9 million was generated by commercial activity, matchday revenue £68.8 million, and £156.8 million from broadcasting.

The comparable figures for manure were, total revenue £581.2 million, commercial £279.5 million, matchday revenue £107.6 million, and £194.1 million from broadcasting.

The gap in matchday revenues is £38.8 million, compared to a gap of £140.6 million in commercial revenues. So the comparable difference in commercial revenues is far more significant. (Indeed, had we played as many home games in 2016/17 as in 2015/16 (24 compared with 31) our matchday revenue might have been over £15 million more, making the matchday gap even less significant.)

The expansion of ARE might generate additional matchday revenue of somewhere between £6 million and £9 million per annum, depending on the actual increase in capacity, the mix of corporate seats, the number of home games etc.

However, this increase in revenue has to be offset against the capital cost of remodelling / rebuilding the ARE. Depending on construction costs, it might take c.10 years before the club sees any financial benefit.

To us, as fans, the benefit of increasing the capacity of Anfield is a given. To Liverpool, as a business, the financial benefits of this expansion are far less certain compared with the benefit of increased commercial revenue.
I agree with both you and [email protected] that we need to greatly increase our commercial revenues. Having said that the Mancs would buy shit if it had their club badge on it. They are a bunch of mindless numpties whereas our supporters have a lot more about them and won't be peddled a load of crud. Worldwide, I don't believe their support is any greater than ours, but as I have said previously, they will buy shit.

Last edited:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I agree with both you and [email protected] I that we need to greatly increase our commercial revenues. Having said that the Mancs would buy shit if it had their club badge on it. They are a bunch of mindless numpties whereas our supporters have a lot more about them and won't be peddled a load of crud. Worldwide, I don't believe their support is any greater than ours, but as I have said previously, they will buy shit.
I am afraid this just isn't the reality. LFC may approach ManU in terms of 'high interest' supporters, but LFC is missing most of a generation of casual fans.

William Clarke

I am afraid this just isn't the reality. LFC may approach ManU in terms of 'high interest' supporters, but LFC is missing most of a generation of casual fans.
That can be applied to any Prem team that has any success - I.e. Leicester City.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
That can be applied to any Prem team that has any success - I.e. Leicester City.
There is a major difference. In the market I live in, I have never seen a Leicester shirt or cap. I can virtually guarantee I will see a ManU one today. The penetration level of ManU's branding is absolutely staggering, catching that will take years and fundamentally, requires some significant sporting success.

William Clarke

There is a major difference. In the market I live in, I have never seen a Leicester shirt or cap. I can virtually guarantee I will see a ManU one today. The penetration level of ManU's branding is absolutely staggering, catching that will take years and fundamentally, requires some significant sporting success.
As you said in one of your previous Posts, we are missing out on the generation of casual fans, fans who are waiting to latch onto a successful club. And there is the problem. The success the Mancs have had winning the Premier League against our big zero, that's where they picked up those casual fans and why we haven't. We need success, silverware, to increase our finances worldwide, and until we do we will get further and further behind.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
.......and yet LFC are the ones that splashed £75m on a CB. The world's most expensive defender. Ever.

We can and are competing without this very very rich and generous sugar daddy you so desire.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
The numbers for the ARE they put out a year or two ago were pretty dismal. The payback was somewhere around 15 years as I recall, which is a long enough time horizon that it is a very questionable project in financial terms. I think they have subsequently revised some of the plans to pull that number in, but it still isn't compelling.

As redfanman notes, the capital is better spent elsewhere if the objective is strictly financial returns.
I dont think this is particularly about ROI.. I think FSG actually want to get more fans into the ground. It's going to be all general admission, so should make a huge dent in the season ticket waiting list.

The rumours on other sites are that it will be paid off in 5 years, so thats not that bad anyway.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I dont think this is particularly about ROI.. I think FSG actually want to get more fans into the ground. It's going to be all general admission, so should make a huge dent in the season ticket waiting list.

The rumours on other sites are that it will be paid off in 5 years, so thats not that bad anyway.
Agreed - the motivation is not directly commercial, it is more about the vision for the club. Big intimidating place to come play roaring the Reds home and all that.

I have not seen the numbers for the current plan, but if it is down to 5 years then it is still not absolutely compelling, but not dead money either.

redfanman

TIA Regular
.......and yet LFC are the ones that splashed £75m on a CB. The world's most expensive defender. Ever.

We can and are competing without this very very rich and generous sugar daddy you so desire.
Who said I desire a sugar daddy for the club?

Our spending on one player doesn't mean we can financially match the spending firepower of Utd or City for example.

That doesn't mean we can't match them on the pitch through shrewd management both on and off the pitch.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Who said I desire a sugar daddy for the club?

Our spending on one player doesn't mean we can financially match the spending firepower of Utd or City for example.

That doesn't mean we can't match them on the pitch through shrewd management both on and off the pitch.
This is the crux of the problem with some fans.... when we sell a player for £142m, celebrated stating we did well in breaking record on making the most money in England, highest transfer to date from England. Then we buy a £75m player and suddenly we don't need better commercial revenue or deep pocket financier because we just bought £75m player. How could one not see this is not the way to go in the long run, keep making money from selling players just to fund our transfer business, expecting us to be competing with the others.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
(...)

I agree with this. However, the two aren't mutually exclusive, are they? Commercial revenues must be increased, that's a given at all times. But maybe, just maybe, playing in a bigger Anfield, in front of a louder (younger) crowd, would help to also get better commercial deals in the long run?

I've noticed that Anfield and the peculiar atmosphere generated by the Anfield crowd has been largely used by the owners as one of the main pillars of the club's identity, and to 'sell' the club to advertisers and commercial partners. In my humble opinion, they can't go wrong by trying to actually enhance the atmosphere inside Anfield.

The main stand was a first significant step in that direction. The next phase is the reconstruction of the ARE stand. Maybe a project with a lesser direct financial impact, but crucial to offering cheaper seats, and thus generating a better, louder atmosphere.

William Clarke

Think back to the Main Stand getting its makeover, nobody, at least fans, thought what a silly idea it was spending all that money on just one stand. You have to speculate to accumulate otherwise nothing would ever get done. And it has to be said what a fantastic stand it is, so why wouldn't we want the same for the Anfield Road End? Yes, the financial argument is all very real in that it would take years to break even, but as I stated earlier in this Post, nothing would ever get done. If we want progress, we have to ignore the negatives, and that includes hard-nosed businessmen.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Think back to the Main Stand getting its makeover, nobody, at least fans, thought what a silly idea it was spending all that money on just one stand. You have to speculate to accumulate otherwise nothing would ever get done. And it has to be said what a fantastic stand it is, so why wouldn't we want the same for the Anfield Road End? Yes, the financial argument is all very real in that it would take years to break even, but as I stated earlier in this Post, nothing would ever get done. If we want progress, we have to ignore the negatives, and that includes hard-nosed businessmen.
No, you don't have to speculate to accumulate, that's just a trite cliche. Ignoring the negatives gives rise to expensive mistakes happening which could hold the club back.

William Clarke

No, you don't have to speculate to accumulate, that's just a trite cliche. Ignoring the negatives gives rise to expensive mistakes happening which could hold the club back.
So what you are saying is we don't need to plan anything and that it will all turn out nice in the end? The negatives I'm talking about is not wanting to take a chance to progress and not the financial aspect. You also say it's a cliche to use the adage speculate to accumulate, so why do people bet on the horses, dogs, football and numerous others by putting money on in the hope of accumulating money. It's easy for you to throw out - just a trite cliche - but it happens to be the way of everyday life. In finishing, do you speculate - Lotto, Euromillions, in the hope of accumulating money?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
So what you are saying is we don't need to plan anything and that it will all turn out nice in the end? The negatives I'm talking about is not wanting to take a chance to progress and not the financial aspect. You also say it's a cliche to use the adage speculate to accumulate, so why do people bet on the horses, dogs, football and numerous others by putting money on in the hope of accumulating money. It's easy for you to throw out - just a trite cliche - but it happens to be the way of everyday life. In finishing, do you speculate - Lotto, Euromillions, in the hope of accumulating money?
That's a bad example though.... if you were to use stocks and stuff like that, you might get some support up in here. Betting in hope to accumulate your wealth is the stupidest thing to do. You bet because you just wanted to have a bit of fun, wanting to make money in those area more often than not sees you in the gutter.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Seriously? It is trite, most people don't get rich playing the lottery or gambling on horses. There is a reason gambling is called a mugs game.

And rather than plan an investment you would rather the owners gamble with the club's future?

William Clarke

That's a bad example though.... if you were to use stocks and stuff like that, you might get some support up in here. Betting in hope to accumulate your wealth is the stupidest thing to do. You bet because you just wanted to have a bit of fun, wanting to make money in those area more often than not sees you in the gutter.
I couldn't agree with you more, Eddie, but surely you aren't saying that people don't do those sort of things, be they stupid or otherwise? If they didn't then we wouldn't have the plethora of betting shop across Britain and there wouldn't be huge amounts to be won on the various lotteries.