• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Anfield Expansion - Main Stand and potential Anfield Road End

GaryBarlow99

Are there any plans to make some smaller upgrades to the stadium over the summer like when they extended the back of the Kop?

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
I have read elsewhere that it is possible that Merseyrail might take over Northern's City Line. If that were to happen then maybe the line that goes across Utting Avenue could go to Lime Street via Edge Hill, assuming that Merseyrail were to run the new line with a station at Utting Ave.
Merseyrail will never take over the City Lines, It has been a long held ambition of MerseyTravel to have total control over the lines within it's Boundary but this has been denied many times. Only way I see this ever happening is if the Rail is brought back into Public Ownership then MersyTravel may get more say but then if the Railways is renationalised there would be no need for MerseyTravel. It's something that has been talked about for over 15 years, there is a long term plan (Money dependent) to add a new service down to Bootle Docks along the current freight line from Lime Street with new stations along the line, studies have been done as well as a plan for many new stations across Merseyside, some of it has come to pass as the Halton Curve was part of this overall plan opened this Month giving new services from Lime Street to Chester and beyond via Runcorn. Money/Government and NR need to buy into it the plans in this vision. More may happen now we have a Metro Mayor who wants to see a better transport system.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Merseyrail will never take over the City Lines, It has been a long held ambition of MerseyTravel to have total control over the lines within it's Boundary but this has been denied many times. Only way I see this ever happening is if the Rail is brought back into Public Ownership then MersyTravel may get more say but then if the Railways is renationalised there would be no need for MerseyTravel. It's something that has been talked about for over 15 years, there is a long term plan (Money dependent) to add a new service down to Bootle Docks along the current freight line from Lime Street with new stations along the line, studies have been done as well as a plan for many new stations across Merseyside, some of it has come to pass as the Halton Curve was part of this overall plan opened this Month giving new services from Lime Street to Chester and beyond via Runcorn. Money/Government and NR need to buy into it the plans in this vision. More may happen now we have a Metro Mayor who wants to see a better transport system.
Merseyrail existed well before the railways were privatised, so I don't see why future renationalisation should mean "no need for Merseytravel". Anyway, even if the City Line is not likely to become part of the Merseyrail network, it seems that it is possible for the Bootle branch line to terminate at Lime Street. I got that from this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Line_(Merseyrail)
And here's a bit from it:
The line could be reopened to passengers, allowing the reopening of stations along its length: Spellow, Walton & Anfield, Breck Road, Tuebrook, Stanley and Edge Lane. The line from Edge Lane would continue through to Edge Hill station and terminate at Lime Street.
Network Rail have investigated options for the Canada Dock Branch in their Route Utilisation Strategy for Merseyside[8] and have concluded that the expected benefits do not justify the investment in new infrastructure. It had been suggested that Liverpool F.C. could assist in funding the reopening of this line to provide a direct link to their proposed new Stanley Park Stadium[9] although those plans have now been shelved.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Merseyrail existed well before the railways were privatised, so I don't see why future renationalisation should mean "no need for Merseytravel". Anyway, even if the City Line is not likely to become part of the Merseyrail network, it seems that it is possible for the Bootle branch line to terminate at Lime Street. I got that from this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Line_(Merseyrail)
And here's a bit from it:
The line could be reopened to passengers, allowing the reopening of stations along its length: Spellow, Walton & Anfield, Breck Road, Tuebrook, Stanley and Edge Lane. The line from Edge Lane would continue through to Edge Hill station and terminate at Lime Street.
Network Rail have investigated options for the Canada Dock Branch in their Route Utilisation Strategy for Merseyside[8] and have concluded that the expected benefits do not justify the investment in new infrastructure. It had been suggested that Liverpool F.C. could assist in funding the reopening of this line to provide a direct link to their proposed new Stanley Park Stadium[9] although those plans have now been shelved.
Only reason I said Edge Hill is the current capacity issues at Lime Street, but the current plans in the updated 30 year plan is talking of Wapping Tunnel being reopened to Central Station with Central being made bigger so there is plenty of scope to add services in and out of Liverpool. If all those plans where to come off we could see some major changes to the way we travel around parts of the City and Beyond.
The one thing that is holding up the Bootle line is the possible increases of freight. It maybe a fine balancing act along this line which is talked about in the 30 year plan

Kopstar

★★★★★★

Anyone with the full article?
It's almost word for word the same as the Bascombe article posted in the Owners thread...

Here's Joyce's

Liverpool have until September to proceed with existing plans to expand Anfield or pursue a bigger project that could raise the capacity past 60,000.

Saturday’s Champions League final victory over Tottenham Hotspur has restored Liverpool to the pinnacle of European football and the remarkable scenes which greeted the return of Jürgen Klopp’s triumphant squad to Merseyside on Sunday — an estimated 500,000 supporters lining the streets to salute them — merely highlighted the power of the club.

Club officials have been weighing up further expansion long before the latest stage of Liverpool’s renaissance, with outline planning permission to increase the capacity of the Anfield Road stand by almost 5,000 seats, taking the overall capacity towards 59,000, due to lapse in September.

Either that plan can be activated or the club can allow it to expire, continue with a feasibility study and then resubmit a new outline application. The latter appears the most likely path and would bring more time to present a larger redevelopment plan.

Liverpool’s priority is to complete work on a new £50 million, state-of-the-art training complex in Kirkby that will bring the first team — who train at Melwood — and academy together on one site.

That is due to open next May with owners, Fenway Sports Group, believing the football side of the business should take precedence over its commercial arm. However, further expansion of Anfield is where football and commercial strategies meet and there is a willingness to increase capacity.

That stance is not a knee-jerk response to last weekend’s events, although the passion Liverpool commands from its fan base provides further food for thought. Klopp sat with FSG president, Mike Gordon, at the back of the open top bus which transported Liverpool through the city and they were in awe of the size of the turnout.

Expanding the stadium would be in the best interests of the club with a projected build, depending on the final proposal, of between two-and-a-half to three years.

Peter Moore, the Liverpool CEO, has previously said: “If there is a smarter design option that does not fit with the current outline planning permission, then we would submit another planning application.

“Only once we have completed this comprehensive process and come to a conclusion will it be the right time to move forward.”

FSG has already overseen the redevelopment of the Main Stand, which opened in 2016 with an additional 8,500 seats. That has resulted in a significant rise of matchday income of more than £12 million a year.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
The interesting thing will be whether they go for a new outline permission, or go straight in for full permission.

I hope it's the latter, but the 2-step approach does make it easier.

Either way, I don't expect any development to start at Anfield until the new training facilities are complete and we leave Melwood.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Happy about this news, always believed it was a huge amount of money to outlay for a small increase in capacity, hopefully the plans will be to add closer to the number that the Main stand was increased by, so pushing towards 64-65k capacity.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Hopefully this is part of a push to get younger local fans into the stadium, which won't yeild such huge returns but certainly what is needed to retain our identity.

I'll be adding my lads name to the waiting list on his 1st birthday!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The club statement on this is a bit vague 'a larger scheme in due course' and it's odd that it's taken them this long to decide that they needed to go above 60K. There was always a problem with getting more corporates into the original AR extension so that may have been the sticking point.

I doubt this is going to happen quickly because I'm sure if they are going over 60K they will need to come up with some sort of transport strategy. A lot of people drive to Anfield and if it wasn't for local retailers (thank you, Asda) effectively turning a blind eye to match goers using their facitlities for free parking the situation would be chaotic. Adding another 7/8 thousand people into the mix isn't going to make things any easier.

So, yes, sounds great but then it sounded great 5 years ago when we got the original planning permission to extend the AR end. I just hope JK is still our manager when all this finally happens.

igor_piss_can

Hopefully this is part of a push to get younger local fans into the stadium, which won't yeild such huge returns but certainly what is needed to retain our identity.

I'll be adding my lads name to the waiting list on his 1st birthday!
Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news mate but the waiting list is closed now for the foreseeable. I know lads who put their name down a good few years ago & they're around the 25,000 mark in the list. Even with a couple of thousand season tickets being released with the new stand it's still highly unlikely that they'll ever get one. Those that I've spoken to have said their place drops by about 100-200 a year so even being on the very hopeful side they'd still have a 100 year wait, and that's being very hopeful!

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news mate but the waiting list is closed now for the foreseeable. I know lads who put their name down a good few years ago & they're around the 25,000 mark in the list. Even with a couple of thousand season tickets being released with the new stand it's still highly unlikely that they'll ever get one. Those that I've spoken to have said their place drops by about 100-200 a year so even being on the very hopeful side they'd still have a 100 year wait, and that's being very hopeful!
Yeah, it's amazing because despite what was said about life expectancy in another thread, the average life expectancy for a Liverpool Season Ticket holder must be about 150. Proof that being a Liverpool Season Ticket holder is good for your health!

igor_piss_can

Yeah, it's amazing because despite what was said about life expectancy in another thread, the average life expectancy for a Liverpool Season Ticket holder must be about 150. Proof that being a Liverpool Season Ticket holder is good for your health!
Ha, yeah that's the one of the issues we currently have. The original tickets get passed down through generations and are held onto like gold dust (rightly so, like)

Another is the percentage of seats which are allocated for season tickets. For the likes of Utd, City, Everton etc over 2/3 of the seats in the stadium are allocated for season tickets whereas I think ours is under half. Obviously this is a double edged sword because if you increase the percentage of season tickets then you're reducing the already slim chances of non-STH attending regularly via legit methods

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
So I guess we're building it from scratch (one of the two options the tour guy said to me) and then possibly extend the pitch from 101 metres to 105. I also feel it might mean merging the Main Stand with the new Annie Road stand (maybe a shape like St. James' Park, though not that dominant in relation to the other two stands). So we could possibly have the first corner in the ground to be filled? Same height and then two rows of executive boxes of the Main Stand to prolonge themselves across the Annie Road stand as well? I'm looking from a perspective that this is important (where we also lack and could generate more money?) and (thankfully) we'll never have that on the Kop. Who knows about the limitations or possibilities with the King Kenny stand (maybe option for another row some day in the future...?). Spurs went with zero boxes at their main stand behind the goal, 2 at the opposite end behind the goal, but 3 rows each side of the touch line.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
The club statement on this is a bit vague 'a larger scheme in due course' and it's odd that it's taken them this long to decide that they needed to go above 60K. There was always a problem with getting more corporates into the original AR extension so that may have been the sticking point.

I doubt this is going to happen quickly because I'm sure if they are going over 60K they will need to come up with some sort of transport strategy. A lot of people drive to Anfield and if it wasn't for local retailers (thank you, Asda) effectively turning a blind eye to match goers using their facitlities for free parking the situation would be chaotic. Adding another 7/8 thousand people into the mix isn't going to make things any easier.

So, yes, sounds great but then it sounded great 5 years ago when we got the original planning permission to extend the AR end. I just hope JK is still our manager when all this finally happens.
They had to give a press release because the planning permission runs out next week. Would have been stupid for the club not to say anything.

Furthermore, with Everton moving out, it makes a slight change to the demands in the area. Also, there was a restriction that if we go over 60k then need to look at transport links - but that is getting loosened.

Annie Rd also has no light issue as it backs onto the park so designs are not as constrained. Our American owners have well lined pockets... and they could even sell around a 10% stake in the club and get their initial investment back!

I’m pretty sure they are going to maximise the capacity, they have the confidence after the main stand success... but it will take a few years.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Whatever we do, we have got to compete with Spurs and Arsenal and Man City for that matter - the sooner the better. There are just thousands of fans itching to get a seat at Anfield - that should be enough incentive for the club and lets be FSG have already constructed that new awesome, dwarfing new stand so investing in the ground...

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
What I would like to see is not just re-development of ARD, but also what is still, in effect, the Kemlyn Road stand, i.e. the Centenary or Kenny Dalglish stand for those of fewer years.

Despite the money that's been spent there over the years, the seating in the lower tier is the same as it was when it was the Kemlyn Road which means there is negligible leg room. Even the upper tier is no different. So, my pipe dream is both ARD and the Sir Kenny stand get raised to the ground and replaced with a L-shaped three-tier stand with better seating which should take our capacity into the mid-sixties, and I don't mean 1965.

Another part of this pipe dream is the new ARD having safe-standing across the whole of the bottom tier and the Kop enlarged also with safe standing. I don't think safe standing would do much for the capacity, as it would have to revert to seating for European games, but it would do lot for the atmosphere and make it cheaper for younger fans to go to the match.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
What I would like to see is not just re-development of ARD, but also what is still, in effect, the Kemlyn Road stand, i.e. the Centenary or Kenny Dalglish stand for those of fewer years.

Despite the money that's been spent there over the years, the seating in the lower tier is the same as it was when it was the Kemlyn Road which means there is negligible leg room. Even the upper tier is no different. So, my pipe dream is both ARD and the Sir Kenny stand get raised to the ground and replaced with a L-shaped three-tier stand with better seating which should take our capacity into the mid-sixties, and I don't mean 1965.

Another part of this pipe dream is the new ARD having safe-standing across the whole of the bottom tier and the Kop enlarged also with safe standing. I don't think safe standing would do much for the capacity, as it would have to revert to seating for European games, but it would do lot for the atmosphere and make it cheaper for younger fans to go to the match.
For the Kenny stand to go higher, it needs go further back - and that’s the 1st obstacle - there’s no space! There’s also the light issue for residents living behind. Same with kop.

Lovely idea, but practically almost impossible. What they managed to do with the main stand is outstanding but needed rows of homes demolished!

Annie Rd has no such issues... it backs on to the park. But it’s great that these discussions are taking place and the owners know they could add another 10k seats and they would sell out!

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think they will go to 62k, if you imagine the original plan was to add 4K to go to 58k, if you add another 4K to that (a 100% increase from the original - a huge number) you get 62k. There will be a point you can’t go much higher due to line of sight etc.

I wonder if its also helped that Everton are moving, so the transport strain is lessened somewhat?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I think they will go to 62k, if you imagine the original plan was to add 4K to go to 58k, if you add another 4K to that (a 100% increase from the original - a huge number) you get 62k. There will be a point you can’t go much higher due to line of sight etc.

I wonder if its also helped that Everton are moving, so the transport strain is lessened somewhat?
Maybe we're looking to overpass Spurs? They're at 62,062 I think. Next would be West Ham at 66k, not sure if that one is possible.