• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Anfield Expansion - Main Stand and potential Anfield Road End

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Merseyrail can still run trains over this line it would just need a 3rd rail laying down, but I would have thought any services that where to run would be by a company that serves the Mainline. This line is fully above ground
I was thinking of new stations being built near to both Anfield and Badison and, therefore, it would be better if the stations were served by an underground rail link. I realise this would be a costlier option, but I don't believe anything is too good for our supporters. lol

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
I was thinking of new stations being built near to both Anfield and Badison and, therefore, it would be better if the stations were served by an underground rail link. I realise this would be a costlier option, but I don't believe anything is too good for our supporters. lol
How would you get underground stations at Anfield ? that would be a massive construction project like the Crossrail in London, when you currently have a line that runs close to the ground

William Clarke

How would you get underground stations at Anfield ? that would be a massive construction project like the Crossrail in London, when you currently have a line that runs close to the ground
Exactly. If they can throw billions on a Crossrail (?) Ah, because the poor Londoners need it with them having hardly any transport links. Absolute nuts the money they swill around down there. Why can't that money be found to improve rail links on Merseyside? We know that tunnelling under Liverpool has been going on for over a century, so know full well that it's feasible for deep underground tunnels to be excavated, so why not? What do London and Londoners have that we shouldn't have some of up here? London always get virtually everything and it's about time we got our share of the pie. OK, SORRY, RANT OVER.

p.s. If the line/station you are referring to is Edge Hill, it's still a fair bus ride away - as too is Lime Street.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
p.s. If the line/station you are referring to is Edge Hill, it's still a fair bus ride away - as too is Lime Street.
Sandhills.

It's not that close really though, only save 10-15 mins instead of walking straight into town.

William Clarke

Sandhills.

It's not that close really though, only save 10-15 mins instead of walking straight into town.
Nearer Merseyrail stations are Bank Hall on the Southport line and Kirkdale on the Ormskirk line, and these stations are in easy reach when walking to Anfield. In my previous post I was referring to a new station and line being built nearer to our ground. It's all wishful thinking mind you and something that will never happen.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Nearer Merseyrail stations are Bank Hall on the Southport line and Kirkdale on the Ormskirk line, and these stations are in easy reach when walking to Anfield. In my previous post I was referring to a new station and line being built nearer to our ground. It's all wishful thinking mind you and something that will never happen.
Bank Hall and Kirkdale aren't closer really, not if you want to go into town as most do.

Agree otherwise though, I have actually read the discussion now. Starting trains from Edge Hill makes little sense to me too (if that is what you're getting at? It's hard to follow the discussion).

William Clarke

Bank Hall and Kirkdale aren't closer really, not if you want to go into town as most do.

Agree otherwise though, I have actually read the discussion now. Starting trains from Edge Hill makes little sense to me too (if that is what you're getting at? It's hard to follow the discussion).
Yeah, we have lost track (sorry for the pun) of where we were going with this when the thread has little to do with transport connections to Anfield.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I have read elsewhere that it is possible that Merseyrail might take over Northern's City Line. If that were to happen then maybe the line that goes across Utting Avenue could go to Lime Street via Edge Hill, assuming that Merseyrail were to run the new line with a station at Utting Ave.

GaryBarlow99

Are there any plans to make some smaller upgrades to the stadium over the summer like when they extended the back of the Kop?

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
I have read elsewhere that it is possible that Merseyrail might take over Northern's City Line. If that were to happen then maybe the line that goes across Utting Avenue could go to Lime Street via Edge Hill, assuming that Merseyrail were to run the new line with a station at Utting Ave.
Merseyrail will never take over the City Lines, It has been a long held ambition of MerseyTravel to have total control over the lines within it's Boundary but this has been denied many times. Only way I see this ever happening is if the Rail is brought back into Public Ownership then MersyTravel may get more say but then if the Railways is renationalised there would be no need for MerseyTravel. It's something that has been talked about for over 15 years, there is a long term plan (Money dependent) to add a new service down to Bootle Docks along the current freight line from Lime Street with new stations along the line, studies have been done as well as a plan for many new stations across Merseyside, some of it has come to pass as the Halton Curve was part of this overall plan opened this Month giving new services from Lime Street to Chester and beyond via Runcorn. Money/Government and NR need to buy into it the plans in this vision. More may happen now we have a Metro Mayor who wants to see a better transport system.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Merseyrail will never take over the City Lines, It has been a long held ambition of MerseyTravel to have total control over the lines within it's Boundary but this has been denied many times. Only way I see this ever happening is if the Rail is brought back into Public Ownership then MersyTravel may get more say but then if the Railways is renationalised there would be no need for MerseyTravel. It's something that has been talked about for over 15 years, there is a long term plan (Money dependent) to add a new service down to Bootle Docks along the current freight line from Lime Street with new stations along the line, studies have been done as well as a plan for many new stations across Merseyside, some of it has come to pass as the Halton Curve was part of this overall plan opened this Month giving new services from Lime Street to Chester and beyond via Runcorn. Money/Government and NR need to buy into it the plans in this vision. More may happen now we have a Metro Mayor who wants to see a better transport system.
Merseyrail existed well before the railways were privatised, so I don't see why future renationalisation should mean "no need for Merseytravel". Anyway, even if the City Line is not likely to become part of the Merseyrail network, it seems that it is possible for the Bootle branch line to terminate at Lime Street. I got that from this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Line_(Merseyrail)
And here's a bit from it:
The line could be reopened to passengers, allowing the reopening of stations along its length: Spellow, Walton & Anfield, Breck Road, Tuebrook, Stanley and Edge Lane. The line from Edge Lane would continue through to Edge Hill station and terminate at Lime Street.
Network Rail have investigated options for the Canada Dock Branch in their Route Utilisation Strategy for Merseyside[8] and have concluded that the expected benefits do not justify the investment in new infrastructure. It had been suggested that Liverpool F.C. could assist in funding the reopening of this line to provide a direct link to their proposed new Stanley Park Stadium[9] although those plans have now been shelved.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Merseyrail existed well before the railways were privatised, so I don't see why future renationalisation should mean "no need for Merseytravel". Anyway, even if the City Line is not likely to become part of the Merseyrail network, it seems that it is possible for the Bootle branch line to terminate at Lime Street. I got that from this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Line_(Merseyrail)
And here's a bit from it:
The line could be reopened to passengers, allowing the reopening of stations along its length: Spellow, Walton & Anfield, Breck Road, Tuebrook, Stanley and Edge Lane. The line from Edge Lane would continue through to Edge Hill station and terminate at Lime Street.
Network Rail have investigated options for the Canada Dock Branch in their Route Utilisation Strategy for Merseyside[8] and have concluded that the expected benefits do not justify the investment in new infrastructure. It had been suggested that Liverpool F.C. could assist in funding the reopening of this line to provide a direct link to their proposed new Stanley Park Stadium[9] although those plans have now been shelved.
Only reason I said Edge Hill is the current capacity issues at Lime Street, but the current plans in the updated 30 year plan is talking of Wapping Tunnel being reopened to Central Station with Central being made bigger so there is plenty of scope to add services in and out of Liverpool. If all those plans where to come off we could see some major changes to the way we travel around parts of the City and Beyond.
The one thing that is holding up the Bootle line is the possible increases of freight. It maybe a fine balancing act along this line which is talked about in the 30 year plan

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

Anyone with the full article?
It's almost word for word the same as the Bascombe article posted in the Owners thread...

Here's Joyce's

Liverpool have until September to proceed with existing plans to expand Anfield or pursue a bigger project that could raise the capacity past 60,000.

Saturday’s Champions League final victory over Tottenham Hotspur has restored Liverpool to the pinnacle of European football and the remarkable scenes which greeted the return of Jürgen Klopp’s triumphant squad to Merseyside on Sunday — an estimated 500,000 supporters lining the streets to salute them — merely highlighted the power of the club.

Club officials have been weighing up further expansion long before the latest stage of Liverpool’s renaissance, with outline planning permission to increase the capacity of the Anfield Road stand by almost 5,000 seats, taking the overall capacity towards 59,000, due to lapse in September.

Either that plan can be activated or the club can allow it to expire, continue with a feasibility study and then resubmit a new outline application. The latter appears the most likely path and would bring more time to present a larger redevelopment plan.

Liverpool’s priority is to complete work on a new £50 million, state-of-the-art training complex in Kirkby that will bring the first team — who train at Melwood — and academy together on one site.

That is due to open next May with owners, Fenway Sports Group, believing the football side of the business should take precedence over its commercial arm. However, further expansion of Anfield is where football and commercial strategies meet and there is a willingness to increase capacity.

That stance is not a knee-jerk response to last weekend’s events, although the passion Liverpool commands from its fan base provides further food for thought. Klopp sat with FSG president, Mike Gordon, at the back of the open top bus which transported Liverpool through the city and they were in awe of the size of the turnout.

Expanding the stadium would be in the best interests of the club with a projected build, depending on the final proposal, of between two-and-a-half to three years.

Peter Moore, the Liverpool CEO, has previously said: “If there is a smarter design option that does not fit with the current outline planning permission, then we would submit another planning application.

“Only once we have completed this comprehensive process and come to a conclusion will it be the right time to move forward.”

FSG has already overseen the redevelopment of the Main Stand, which opened in 2016 with an additional 8,500 seats. That has resulted in a significant rise of matchday income of more than £12 million a year.