• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Anfield Expansion - Main Stand and potential Anfield Road End

Article here on the Annie from the This is Anfield website. Not sure how reliable they are, tough:

Anfield Train Station Could Aid New Stand

Last month saw the existing planning application for the new Anfield Road end expire, and a new application isn’t expected to be submitted until next year.

We’ve long known that this will be the case, with FSG revising initial plans for the stand and ensuring the new overall capacity is over 60,000.

One thing that could aid the redevelopment is a new train station near to the famous stadium, something that the city council are looking into.

Regarding the new stand itself, The Athletic‘s James Pearce reports that “having it completed for the 2022/23 season is understood to be the best-case scenario.”

Pearce adds that “a number of potential designs [are] still under consideration.”

Fresh planning application will be submitted to Liverpool City Council at some point next year, as the club try and make Anfield an even more intimidating place to visit.
Liverpool are lucky they have a City Council that wants to help

bazza66

TIA Youth Team
Liverpool are lucky they have a City Council that wants to help
The council don't really want to help but have been subjected to redshite pressure: the Rand corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires, are forcing Big Fat Joe to tow the line and help build this monstrosity. Through the looking-glass, indeed.

bazza66

TIA Youth Team
Are there some more updates on this topic?? Rumoured photos for example...….??
I heard that there will be an announcement next year. Followed by 4 years of consultations with fans. Then an application for a hand-out from the local authority. Then we will wait until the Commonwealth Games is due to be hosted in England again; and more public money is available. I think this is how it is done.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
'The first consultation event will take place at the Kop Bar in Anfield on Friday November 29 (4pm-8pm), with two more to follow on Monday December 2 (4pm-8pm) and Tuesday December 3 (12pm-4pm).'

Big news this, and important dates to take note of. (y)

Edit; Here the link from the club's official site: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/373905-residents-invited-to-consultation-on-proposed-anfield-road-expansion

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Awesome that the club have pressed on with this. It would have been easy to let the planning permission in principle slide past and do nothing, but they've kept on it.

For anyone now up to speed with how planning works, we are probably a good few months away from a new application being submitted, and once submitted, it'll take at least 14 weeks for a decision, but probably longer.

I'd expect us to be well into next season before anything happens on the ground - probably longer. Here's hoping the new plans won't be predicated on providing more corporate seating, and all 6k or so goes to the normal punter!

Hope in your heart

Admin

It's still only a rough scheme, but in my opinion, the identity of the new stand should be stronger. For the time being, it looks a bit too much like 'Main Stand mk 2' for me. Hopefully the architects will be able to give the ARE an identity of it's own as they go on developing the project.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Looks great but the Kop is going to look puny in comparison to the rest of the ground. I wonder if there will ever be a possibility of enlarging the Kop?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
It's still only a rough scheme, but in my opinion, the identity of the new stand should be stronger. For the time being, it looks a bit too much like 'Main Stand mk 2' for me. Hopefully the architects will be able to give the ARE an identity of it's own as they go on developing the project.
Ah but I love that! I really like how the main stand looks from the outside.

It will be the #Mbappe20 stand anyway ;)

Excellent news!

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Looks great but the Kop is going to look puny in comparison to the rest of the ground. I wonder if there will ever be a possibility of enlarging the Kop?
It would be great if they could but I think the main road is the biggest problem, I think there is space to reroute the road now but would the council give the green light to such a big change

Hope in your heart

Admin
Ah but I love that! I really like how the main stand looks from the outside.

It will be the #Mbappe20 stand anyway ;)

Excellent news!
No qualms from me about how it looks from the outside. Inside the stadium however, I feel that it looks a bit too generic, almost like a carbon copy of the main stand (apart from being a two-tier instead of a three-tier). I'd like it to evolve towards a design which would keep the strong identity of each stand at Anfield, as it is now. And I think it can be achieved without too many problems. A few tweaks here and there would do the job.

Edit: I wonder whether it could be envisaged to move the Kop to the ARE, create a one-tier 'Red wall', and move the away fans to the current Kop. Anyone knows whether that would be working? Or are the supporters in the Kop too emotionally attached to the current stand to make the move?

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Edit: I wonder whether it could be envisaged to move the Kop to the ARE, create a one-tier 'Red wall', and move the away fans to the current Kop. Anyone knows whether that would be working? Or are the supporters in the Kop too emotionally attached to the current stand to make the move?
I can't see that ever getting agreed. You're fucking with the Anfield 'Feng Shui' there. I had my own doubts about the Kop when the Main Stand was built given how it is so much larger, but it hasn't changed the Anfield dynamic and I doubt any ARE expansion would do either. In any case, it's not about the size of the stand. It's about the people that are in it. They create the atmosphere and the rest of the crowd take their lead from them.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
No qualms from me about how it looks from the outside. Inside the stadium however, I feel that it looks a bit too generic, almost like a carbon copy of the main stand (apart from being a two-tier instead of a three-tier). I'd like it to evolve towards a design which would keep the strong identity of each stand at Anfield, as it is now. And I think it can be achieved without too many problems. A few tweaks here and there would do the job.

I can't see the Kop moving. Its what makes Anfield iconic. The Kop is the RED WALL. Long may it stay like that.
Love the plans for ARE and to have 7000 more fans at every game - wow. These new stadiums seem hollow - but Anfield has that magic about it. Keep the core, build around it - like the owners are doing.

Commando

Ad-free Member
If the ARE turns out anywhere near as good as the Main Stand it should be fine. I noticed that although the stand looks a whole lot bigger, the away fans' section now looks tiny in comparison. I wonder how this will affect the dynamic during games? Hopefully the increased capacity will be taken up by fans that want to sing.