Open Your Eyes Morty!
- Jun 23, 2005
We have a new home and we want you to join us!
Ian St John once said "There's no noise like the Anfield noise - and I love it!"
We hope the same will be true for our new forum. A vocal place, with a shared passion and love. Different to anywhere else on the internet.
Who are we?
A group of fans, making a forum for fans. It's a labour of love. Co-ordindated between the admins and mods of TIA (Ubermick, Hope in your heart, Nikola, Mascot, i_still_miss_fowler, Zinedine Biscan, Arminius). We all have worked together to create something new. Somewhere to keep the community of 17 years going and hopefully growing.
So what's new?
The new forum will not be affiliated with This Is Anfield. We are completely independent. This gives us opportunities to do some things differently. We have a cool new name, new software and there will be no adverts.
Cost is a big reason. At the moment we are unsustainable (from yearly licencing to hosting). The income from the main site is what has supported the TIA forums. GDPR is another issue. We at The Anfield Noise respect the privacy of individual posters. As do TIA. We wanted to avoid any potential situation where we fell short.
Finally there was a recognition that change was required in order to stay relevant. That new members where required to help maintain the forum.
So what are the benefits?
* Clean simple interface. The uncluttered look that helps focus on the things that matter; you and the conversation.
* It's 100% open source, stable, and actively being developed. It's therefore continually improving and helps keep costs low.
* Software is modern, built with Android and IOS in mind. Portrait, landscape, on your desktop it does not matter.
* Customisation. Five skins to change look and feel (more coming). Users can alter text size via the control panel, as well as customise their front page to what content suits them (ie categories, latest threads, top threads, unread threads).
* Conversations not pages. No arbitrary pages, we have just in time loading instead. Flat structure, while also being able to see replies to posts. (blending flat and threading).
*Automatic embedding. Just as with TIA, post a link to a photo, video or Tweet and they’ll automatically get embedded into the post.
* Long threads? Why not click the summarise button. This gives you a summary of just the best posts (most liked posts) in the thread.
* Intelligent quote system. Just highlight some text in someone’s post and you’ll get the option to ‘Quote text’. When viewing a quoted text you will see a little arrow, which takes you direct to the full original post.
* Emojis Over 1,000 of them, and that's before you change their colours.
* Create bookmarks to remind to remind you at different times, add your own watchlist to notify you or ignore updates from specific threads.
* Integration with social media. Log on using your Twitter or Gmail account. Share threads on Twitter, Facebook, emails. Get weekly digest emails, or notifications depending on your tastes.
+ Much much more...... did I mention it's free?
Free, whats the catch?
We will have no memberships, we will never sell your information, we have no plans to have adverts. Our plan is for the community by the community. We hope eventually that anonymous donations will mean that we are self-sufficient.
Any donations will be greatly appreciated.
What happens to all the great threads on TIA?
TIA will still be active in read-only mode for the next month. The intent is to allow a backup of great posts.
We will be asking posters to nominate threads (that contain no personal information) to be backed up. We need to be selective. But an archive website with a snapshot of threads will be made which will be publicly available.
Se an example page here :
What else did we consider?
Closing the forum for good
Ones with * we built test sites.
Many of the software options came out when I bought a brand new Nokia 3310. Snake was the height of mobile gaming. Many where ugly, slow, not tailored for mobile platform. Suited to a past era (view RAWK on a mobile as an example). Others while newer were less stable, lacked features or too early in development. Whilst the likes of Xenforo Invision were costly (starting at $160 for 1 year's basic licence).
We settled on our current software after balancing various pros and cons.
How do I register?
In the first instance the community will be invite-only to those in the TIA community. This is to give more poster permissions for initial users of the forum. It's also to help Arminius validate users to prevent impersonation.
Shortly after we will be open access to all the public.
Can I keep my TIA Username?
In order to transfer your TIA name over to a The Anfield Noise account, we need your consent to use the email you registered on TIA with in order to send you an invitation to TAN. A thread has been created on TIA in the Site and Forums area for this purpose, simply post a request to be invited in that thread ("Please send me an invitation to the The Anfield Noise"). An admin will send you a unique invitation to your email which will allow you to activate a TAN account and register under your username.
Last edited by a moderator: