• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Arsenal vs Liverpool (FA Cup): Sunday 16th Feb 4:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
7,362
So with this game only 3 days away I thought it might be good to start a thread. After rescuing the 3 points against Fulham late in the game I really hope the team responds and puts in a similar performance against Arsenal as when they visited us only a few days back.

With them playing Bayern midweek in the CL they will probably rest a few key players. I have a feeling the likes of Bendtner and Gnabry will probably start and Flamini being back should be a boost for them. In terms of us we have a week break before we play Swansea so I can't really see Brendan resting anyone. I expect to see Agger come in for Toure and the rest of the lineup being the same. Having said that though personally I wouldn't mind Gerrard being given the extra bit of rest (given his age and injury record) and in place Allen coming in to play alongside Hendo and Coutinho.

My line-up:

Mignolet​
Flanno Skrtel Agger Cissokho​
Hendo Allen​
Sturridge Coutinho Sterling​
Suarez​
Hopefully Johnson will be fit enough to be on the bench and we might see another cameo appearence from Texiera.
 

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
8,178
You've dropped Gerrard!?

Same team for me. Maybe bring Allen for hendo to give him some respite.
 

tesh

TIA New Signing
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
1,117
Though Arsenal are there for the taking, I'm not really 'arsed' about this game. Should we read anything into the fact that Agger and Txeria came on for some game time? Will they come in for Toure and Coutinho I wonder? Will Glenda and Enrique get in the squad? Kelly and Allen into the starting 11?

Arsenal will likely play a weakened team with an eye on the Munich game so it would be an ideal time for us to put out a strong yet 'rotated' team.

Nah, too much tinkering. BR usually sticks to his boys and his system… when he has experimented though the spectre of Villa game loom large.
 

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Joined
Jan 5, 2011
Messages
925
Frankly, if it stands between a cup final and CL qualification, I say screw the FA cup.
 

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
826
liverpool_singh said:
So with this game only 3 days away I thought it might be good to start a thread. After rescuing the 3 points against Fulham late in the game I really hope the team responds and puts in a similar performance against Arsenal as when they visited us only a few days back.

With them playing Bayern midweek in the CL they will probably rest a few key players. I have a feeling the likes of Bendtner and Gnabry will probably start and Flamini being back should be a boost for them. In terms of us we have a week break before we play Swansea so I can't really see Brendan resting anyone. I expect to see Agger come in for Toure and the rest of the lineup being the same. Having said that though personally I wouldn't mind Gerrard being given the extra bit of rest (given his age and injury record) and in place Allen coming in to play alongside Hendo and Coutinho.

My line-up:

Mignolet​
Flanno Skrtel Agger Cissokho​
Hendo Allen​
Sturridge Coutinho Sterling​
Suarez​
Hopefully Johnson will be fit enough to be on the bench and we might see another cameo appearence from Texiera.
going to be epic game this. much tighter of course then last week . a open game is your best chance again for me at our place of winning. not sure you got the type of game to do what united and chelsea did and park the bus. I think we been strong in big home games at back . i be supsied if you don,t start agger on sunday instead of toure. when we beat you 2-0 in noveber we tactically worked you out with the 3-5-2 system you played. last two home games against you have been 2-0 to us and 2-2 . so a open game is better for you then trying to sit back as it does not suit the style of football you play.

i think we start pod and ox and maybe leave giroud on the bench. ones for thing sure. this be much better game then our home games vs united and chelsea due to your attacking style of play
 

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
2,126
The squad is to thin to risk. We have a shot at the title. I would rest Gerrard, skrtel and Suarez. Gerrard got his injury when he had to play two games a week. Give allen, aspas and agger some playing time.
I hate this, but you have to keep your eye on the prize.
 
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
7,362
SoueysTash said:
You've dropped Gerrard!?

Same team for me. Maybe bring Allen for hendo to give him some respite.
I said I would rest him given his age and injury record. Last thing we want is to get any more injuries and I think we can do well enough with Allen coming in to replace him (given that Arsenal are also likely to rest some players). Also it would be a good opportunity to see how well the Allen-Hendo-Coutinho partnership works.
 

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
826
tesh said:
Though Arsenal are there for the taking, I'm not really 'arsed' about this game. Should we read anything into the fact that Agger and Txeria came on for some game time? Will they come in for Toure and Coutinho I wonder? Will Glenda and Enrique get in the squad? Kelly and Allen into the starting 11?

Arsenal will likely play a weakened team with an eye on the Munich game so it would be an ideal time for us to put out a strong yet 'rotated' team.

Nah, too much tinkering. BR usually sticks to his boys and his system… when he has experimented though the spectre of Villa game loom large.
doubt we play that weakned a team. expect us to play pretty strong team.
big pole
sagna
gibbs
per
lauren
flammi
arerta
ozil/wilshire
santi
pod
ox

think giroud and rosicky will be on bench along with either ozil/wilshire who be saved for bayern but might come on if we struggling.
 

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Joined
Jan 5, 2011
Messages
925
redandwhite3 said:
going to be epic game this. much tighter of course then last week . a open game is your best chance again for me at our place of winning. not sure you got the type of game to do what united and chelsea did and park the bus.
Well it will be an open-ended game, no question. Arsenal pushing forward will open up a lot of space for us to exploit behind your lines. With our dodgy defence it could be a seven-goal affair.

Then again, with the way things stand in the league, more than anything I hope we get through it without injuries. If we lose I don't think a lot of people would really care, as long as we keep up our league form.
 

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
826
trygve76 said:
Well it will be an open-ended game, no question. Arsenal pushing forward will open up a lot of space for us to exploit behind your lines. With our dodgy defence it could be a seven-goal affair.

Then again, with the way things stand in the league, more than anything I hope we get through it without injuries. If we lose I don't think a lot of people would really care, as long as we keep up our league form.
I think league is most important thing for you but while you in the cup you got to try to win it and same for us. i think fa cup could still be our best chance to win something and with one of man city/chelsea going out could be our best chance in years to win it. some pretty awful teams will be in quater finals this year such as
forsest/sheffied united
cardiff/wigan
sheffied wedesday/charton
brighton/hull

so four pretty poor team to beat well in the quater or even semi finals their.

I think we be lot more attack minded with pod and ox to go at your defence. fancy us to win maybe 3-2 on the day but again game could go either way. I fancy us though at home as we been very strong in big games at the back at home. it been away which has been our issue in the big games bar dortmund away.
 

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
7,363
redandwhite3 said:
doubt we play that weakned a team. expect us to play pretty strong team.
big pole
sagna
gibbs
per
lauren
flammi
arerta
ozil/wilshire
santi
pod
ox

think giroud and rosicky will be on bench along with either ozil/wilshire who be saved for bayern but might come on if we struggling.
For those of us that don't know the Arsenal team that well....

Szczesny
Sagna
Gibbs
Mertersacker
Koscielny
Flammini
Arteta
Ozil / Wilshere
Cazorla
Podolski
Oxlade-Chamberlain.

That's not a dig by the way, just that even i had to think a couple of names up there. Surprised you'd not go with Giroud up front?

For us, if it ain't broke don't fix it, with the exception of brining Agger in for Toure.

Mignolet, Flanagan, Skrtel, Agger, Cissokho, Gerrard, Coutinho, Henderson, Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling.

Subs: Jones, Toure, Kelly (or Johnson if fit), Allen, Moses, Texiera, Aspas.

Go for it hard and early, try to score early and stun them.

It will be interesting to see how Arsene prioritises the competitions. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be wanting to go full strenght for the Bayern games and league games over the FA Cup. Flamini will defenitly start which is great news for Arsenal. I think we may see the likes of Gnabry and Rosicky start.
 

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
5,935
I can see both sides going all out to win this, both knowing there's only 1 big team left in this to beat after this round. Wenger probably knows this is his best chance at a trophy and maybe his only chance to appease the fans will probably stick with the same team apart from bringing in Gibbs and Flamini at a guess.

BR will also want silverware which means i think we'll field the same side that beat Arsenal apart from possibly putting Agger back in for Toure if he's fit enough. That's the team i'd like to see play. Agger comes in as that's his position obviously, Tour being a RCB playing slightly out of position. SG can get a full weeks rest leading up to Swansea and may be able to come off anyway once we're 4-0 up and avoid giving them a consolation penalty :)
 

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
826
rupzzz said:
For those of us that don't know the Arsenal team that well....

Szczesny
Sagna
Gibbs
Mertersacker
Koscielny
Flammini
Arteta
Ozil / Wilshere
Cazorla
Podolski
Oxlade-Chamberlain.

That's not a dig by the way, just that even i had to think a couple of names up there. Surprised you'd not go with Giroud up front?

For us, if it ain't broke don't fix it, with the exception of brining Agger in for Toure.

Mignolet, Flanagan, Skrtel, Agger, Cissokho, Gerrard, Coutinho, Henderson, Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling.

Subs: Jones, Toure, Kelly (or Johnson if fit), Allen, Moses, Texiera, Aspas.

Go for it hard and early, try to score early and stun them.

It will be interesting to see how Arsene prioritises the competitions. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be wanting to go full strenght for the Bayern games and league games over the FA Cup. Flamini will defenitly start which is great news for Arsenal. I think we may see the likes of Gnabry and Rosicky start.
No worries mate. forgot i was on liverpool forum their. used to using just first or nick names on arsenal forums so sorry about that

I think giroud will be rested for bayern. can see him on bench with pod starting up front. also think rosicky be rested in mind for bayern as arsene will won,t two fresh defensive midfielders for thagt game. i can,t see him playing all of ozil, wilshire and santi from the start but i might be wrong.

but we have all in the players either starting or on the bench for sunday and we start with a strong team. gnably might start and he played really well vs spurs in cup . flammi massive boost to have back in the team and should be fresh as ox for the game. this could be our best chance of trophly so we go for big time on sunday knowing only one other big team will be left in quater finals after this weekend. at home will very strong so i am confident but know it could go either way.

i think i don,t expect you make many changes bar agger who surley got to come in for you instead of the fading toure.
 

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
826
basil1492 said:
I can see both sides going all out to win this, both knowing there's only 1 big team left in this to beat after this round. Wenger probably knows this is his best chance at a trophy and maybe his only chance to appease the fans will probably stick with the same team apart from bringing in Gibbs and Flamini at a guess.

BR will also want silverware which means i think we'll field the same side that beat Arsenal apart from possibly putting Agger back in for Toure if he's fit enough. That's the team i'd like to see play. Agger comes in as that's his position obviously, Tour being a RCB playing slightly out of position. SG can get a full weeks rest leading up to Swansea and may be able to come off anyway once we're 4-0 up and avoid giving them a consolation penalty :)
both will want to win and should as whoever gets through has fantastic chance to win the cup with only city/chelsea left in to beat after this round.

arsene will play strong team as he knows how important is to win trophly this season. flammi will come in for rosicky , ox maybe for wilshire and i think and maybe pod for giroud but that all the changes i can see him making.
 

Redragbull

Active Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
394
Not too fussed about the FA cup, but more importantly for me is that we are unbeaten in 2014, and would be a morale boost if we can keep that record intact. I don't think a draw would be a bad result for us, as we only have one game a week until the end of the season and would be far more detrimental to Arsenal. Besides, giving them another hammering at Anfield I can take.
 

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
826
Redragbull said:
Not too fussed about the FA cup, but more importantly for me is that we are unbeaten in 2014, and would be a morale boost if we can keep that record intact. I don't think a draw would be a bad result for us, as we only have one game a week until the end of the season and would be far more detrimental to Arsenal. Besides, giving them another hammering at Anfield I can take.
think while your in the cup your should want to win it and like us its your best chance of winning something which is name of the game at the nd of the day,

think liverpool would take a draw as your stronger at home but i would not mind a draw but at home where we strong this is our best chance of knocking you out and going to quater final and with chance of lifting the cup at 7.00pm on may 17th
 

Zoran

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Messages
19,355
Great to have Agger back, put him in from the start instead of Kolo.

Allen is the first in line to get a start if we need to put someone else in. Just hope Rodgers doesn't give Moses a start seeing how he gave a chance to Ibe & Teixeira in the last two games.
 

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
5,935
redandwhite3 said:
both will want to win and should as whoever gets through has fantastic chance to win the cup with only city/chelsea left in to beat after this round.

arsene will play strong team as he knows how important is to win trophly this season. flammi will come in for rosicky , ox maybe for wilshire and i think and maybe pod for giroud but that all the changes i can see him making.
I feel it's not just winning the trophy for Arsenal this season though, it's about the Feb collapse. Wenger must realise that whether it's accurate or not there is a feeling amongst fans that Arsenal collapse every February. With what's happened already, hammered by us, drawn with Utd, from 1st to possibly 3rd if City win their game in hand. Can you imagine the feeling amongst the fans if they also go our of the cup to us and quite probably the CL to Bayern in February as well?

I expect Arsene to assume that there is a good chance of losing to Bayern even though he'll try his hardest to win it. That means the only way to lessen the blow this month is to beat LFC so i expect him to play his very best side regardless of how tired they'll be for the CL. On the bright side you're only other game this month is home to Sunderland so i daresay you'll get at least one win however the cup game goes, can't imagine what would be said about Arsene if you lose that one as well though.
 

LiVeRp0oL89

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
3,415
If we didn't have a week till our next PL game, I would of considered resting a few players and hoping for the best against the Arse but with that not being the case, I hope we go full strength. I'd make a few changes:

- Agger >> Toure
- Allen >> Gerrard / Henderson
- Maybe one of Moses or Aspas in for one of our attackers
- Hopefully Glen on the bench with 20/30min cameo towards the end

Optimistic we could finish off the Gooners nightmare week in style but its got to be a win or loss for me.. NO REPLAY!!
 

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
24,404
Similar team, but I would bring Agger in for Kolo, Aspas in for Suarez and Allen in for Gerrard.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RMP

Binomial

Visionary Tactician
Joined
Jan 2, 2014
Messages
181
jones

kelly
toure
agger
smith

gerrard
allen

moses
alberto
texeira

aspas
 

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Moderator
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
26,629
SoueysTash said:
You've dropped Gerrard!?

Same team for me. Maybe bring Allen for hendo to give him some respite.
It is a tough call, but he would again be playing on short rest. Do you want him out for 3 weeks right now? The probabilities are so much worse north of 30. If you rest him now, I think we face the decision only once more all season, barring replays.
 

Herb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2013
Messages
7,473
Think we will rest a few. Would think Moses and Allen will get some game time, maybe Kelly and Agger as well. Wouldn't be against Gerrard and/or Hendo getting some rest.
 

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
2,469
redandwhite3 said:
think while your in the cup your should want to win it and like us its your best chance of winning something which is name of the game at the nd of the day,

think liverpool would take a draw as your stronger at home but i would not mind a draw but at home where we strong this is our best chance of knocking you out and going to quater final and with chance of lifting the cup at 7.00pm on may 17th
why are you not sharing your desire to knock us out of the cup on a Arsenal forum>>?
 

LiVeRp0oL89

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
3,415
Quagmire81 said:
Anyone else noticed after Agger came on, he won three very important headers in a row. Glad to have him back, he's gonna give our defense a much needed boost.
Exactly. People can doubt is physicality and ability in one on one situations but its no coincidence we have the most clean sheets when he's playing. He's a top defender and brings that composure to our defence. Delighted he's back and in perfect time with Toure needing a rest ASAP.
 

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
16,542
verde13 said:
Don't want us to approach this lightly. Win and we have a real chance at a trophy.

How does the Double sound?
Music to my ears :)
 

Ataturk

★★★★★
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
4,360
Weeks rest after this, playing Swansea who'll have played on the Thursday. I don't see why we wouldn't play our strongest side. Get past this and it's only really City/Chelsea and Everton as major threats, 2 games away from the final. I hope Wenger rests a few for Bayern, a win or a draw is then very realistic.
 

RMP

TIA First Team
Joined
Jul 15, 2006
Messages
4,725
Drop Kolo for Agger, I'm tempted to give Stevie a rest but how do you rest him after such a good performance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.