• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Ashley Williams (CB) Swansea

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sgt. Pepper

Liverpool FC manager Brendan Rodgers to target Swansea’s Ashley Williams as a replacement for Jamie Carragher

LIVERPOOL FC will target Swansea City skipper Ashley Williams this summer as boss Brendan Rodgers looks to find a replacement for Jamie Carragher.

Securing the services of a dominant centre-back is the club’s overriding priority in the next transfer window and Williams tops their shortlist.

The Reds are also monitoring a number of alternative options but Feyenoord defender Stefan De Vrij is no longer on their radar.

Liverpool have had the 21-year-old Holland international watched by scouts regularly this season.

Rodgers flew to Rotterdam to see him in action against PSV Eindhoven last month but he failed to impress and the club are now focusing their attention elsewhere

Swansea manager Michael Laudrup faces a battle to keep hold of Williams, who recently captained the Welsh outfit to League Cup glory at Wembley.

Rodgers worked with the 28-year-old during his two years in charge of the Swans and believes he has all the qualities required to succeed at Anfield.

The Wales international skipper, who only penned a new deal back in October, is under contract until 2015 and would command a fee of around £8million. He has also attracted interest from Arsenal.

Liverpool’s 3-1 defeat to Southampton on Saturday underlined just how much Carragher, who sat the game out due to a shin injury, will be missed when he retires in May.

Rodgers brought Carragher back into the side at Skrtel’s expense in January because he felt his backline was in need of better leadership and organis-ation.

The hope is that Williams will provide similar attri-butes with the defender, who joined Swansea from Stockport County in 2008, also strong in the air and comfortable in possession.

Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) have installed a transfer policy of investing in youth with the emphasis on signing players under the age of 24 and building for the future.

Since Rodgers took over last summer they have bought seven players at a total cost of around £49million with the oldest being Oussama Assaidi, who signed two days after his 24th birthday.

However, managing director Ian Ayre recently made it clear that strategy isn’t “set in stone” and said exceptions would be made.

Rodgers is confident that FSG will agree with his assessment that it would be impossible to replace Carragher with a rookie and loosen the purse strings for him to buy an experienced defender like Williams.

With questions marks over Skrtel and Sebastian Coates out of favour having not featured since the FA Cup defeat to Oldham two months ago, it’s possible that Rodgers could need as many three centre-backs this summer.

The club will look to boost their transfer kitty with the sale of Andy Carroll.

It looks increasingly unlikely that the club’s £35million record signing will stay at West Ham United when his loan spell ends in May.

Liverpool will look to find a buyer for the big frontman, who would favour a return to his boyhood club Newcastle.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2013/03/19/liverpool-fc-manager-brendan-rodgers-to-target-swansea-s-ashley-williams-as-a-replacement-for-jamie-carragher-100252-33016555/

S

showmethemoney

Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Quick before its too late delete this thread and get Nikola to open it hopefully his curse could strike again!
It is by James Pearce from the Liverpool Echo.

Wouldn't be adverse to this move personally.

Think he will be at Arsenal at the beginning of next season though.

lfc.8

“Suárez dived more than any other player I’ve played against before – it was so bad I was genuinely shocked.

“Throughout the game, he just dived down and screamed at any given moment.

“Suárez has that aura about him that says, 'I’m untouchable’, and his manner and behaviour made me want to knock him out.

“I’d go as far as to say that the manner in which he approached the game, with utter contempt for us all, means that he’s streets ahead of any player I’ve truly disliked since I’ve been in the Premier League.”

“Obviously, diving has crept into the game more and more in recent years and, as a defender, you have to be aware of it. But even the players you know that like a dive at least wait until there is some sort of challenge or contact. Not Suárez.

“A couple of times I’d hear the scream, see him writhing on the floor and for the life of me couldn’t see where the contact could have been.
Those comments above are reason enough to look elsewhere. But really he's just a poor player who offers little and no more than what we've got at present. There's no value in Williams. Just not good enough.

Last summer's transfer window was a mess. No oversight and planning from the board. No scouting or recruitment team setup. Rodgers was afforded little assistance. But his somewhat lack of knowledge in the market was on display. Borini, Allen, Sahin and Assaidi. Not one player has delivered this season. Yes Borini has been injured, but he's far from established.

If we do sign Williams, some faith may be lost. Tired of our club messing up season after season. We've got new owners who will be leading into their third season. Anything but champions league will raise more than a few concerns.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Getting sleepy an lazy so this was my opinion on it in other thread:

Ability wise Id say he is a good player with the correct attributes and skills.

I have a few concerns though:

1 We are weak in the air I would hope whoever we bring in is really strong in the air not convinced on Williams.

2 At his age he is probably the finished article and his quality levels still are a little short of solid Champions League quality players.

3 His price, I really cannot see Swansea selling the guy cheaply.

4 He is a LCB, he may be right footed but he is just as used to playing on the left as the likes of Sakho and Agger any concerns people have of pairing Sakho and Agger (for instance) should equally apply to Williams and Agger one will need to learn a new side.

In conclusion I would have zero problem with him coming in as a solid reliable unspectacular back up in defence.

Even cost wise I can accept spending high on him if the first choice RCB is bought at a bargain.

For me its Skrtel and Coates out, probably around £18 million combined.

Apparently Dede is available for £7 million if we had him at RCB backed up by Kelly I would have no problem bringing in Williams to back up Agger as LCB even for £8-10 million as it would still mean we spent less than we raised and start next season with a better balanced defence that should work better in the current set up.

S

showmethemoney

lfc.8 said:
Those comments above are reason enough to look elsewhere.
Mate, if teams were formed of players who'd said things about another, Premier League teams would consist of 1 man teams. :)

lfc.8 said:
But really he's just a poor player who offers little and no more than what we've got at present. There's no value in Williams. Just not good enough.
Don't agree with that, although considering his age, maybe, possibly, we could do better. But he knows the EPL & has excelled in it.

Surprised by the comments about Stefan De Vrij though!

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Getting sleepy an lazy so this was my opinion on it in other thread:

Ability wise Id say he is a good player with the correct attributes and skills.

I have a few concerns though:

1 We are weak in the air I would hope whoever we bring in is really strong in the air not convinced on Williams.

2 At his age he is probably the finished article and his quality levels still are a little short of solid Champions League quality players.

3 His price, I really cannot see Swansea selling the guy cheaply.

4 He is a LCB, he may be right footed but he is just as used to playing on the left as the likes of Sakho and Agger any concerns people have of pairing Sakho and Agger (for instance) should equally apply to Williams and Agger one will need to learn a new side.

In conclusion I would have zero problem with him coming in as a solid reliable unspectacular back up in defence.

Even cost wise I can accept spending high on him if the first choice RCB is bought at a bargain.

For me its Skrtel and Coates out, probably around £18 million combined.

Apparently Dede is available for £7 million if we had him at RCB backed up by Kelly I would have no problem bringing in Williams to back up Agger as LCB even for £8-10 million as it would still mean we spent less than we raised and start next season with a better balanced defence that should work better in the current set up.
You forgot:

5. He's a cnut.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Hope this is just a beat up,this guy is a bit old for the plan and wont get any better,I do not believe this guy is the answer, full stop.

I am a bit worried(if it has any legs) that Rodgers has a thing about buying who he is comfortable with and knows, this pattern has not been an unqualified success-no where near it.

If we really want to play CL we need to aim a bit higher.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
You know what will happen......They'll set up a press conference to show Ashley shaking Luis's hand, Luis will pull his hand away and the press will call for his immediate deportation, Fergie will give his opinion on how to run our club and the board will leave Kenny out to dry even though he hasn't worked for them for 18 months...................

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Never Say Never said:
You forgot:

5. He's a cnut.
No I didn't he is bigger than me I ain't saying it lol in all fairness though I actually think we have too many "nice boys" and need to add some "nasty boys" (an I aint talking the shit WWF tag team) just he probably wouldnt be my choice!

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Is our scouting system still that bad that Rodgers needs to rely on going for his ex-players? He's already gone for two for way too much money and neither of them have made an impact. I guess third time's the charm...fuck me if this is really happening.

The only way I would want this to happen is if Williams was at the end of his contract or we're aware of some sort of clause that would let him go for cheap. And when I say cheap, I mean nothing more than 6m pounds because thats all he's really worth. Also, he's a fucking loud mouth prick too so there's that.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
No I didn't he is bigger than me I ain't saying it lol in all fairness though I actually think we have too many "nice boys" and need to add some "nasty boys" (an I aint talking the shit WWF tag team) just he probably wouldnt be my choice!
Excuse me, he's an untalented cnut. He's the fucking stewart downing of centre halves. Done decent at a small club, older, and has no big time experience. There is literally nothing to suggest he will improve on skrtel, and in about two years time, he won't be fit to clean seba's boots.

edit: we need talented cnuts.

Lucas

Never Say Never said:
Excuse me, he's an untalented cnut. He's the fucking stewart downing of centre halves. Done decent at a small club, older, and has no big time experience. There is literally nothing to suggest he will improve on skrtel, and in about two years time, he won't be fit to clean seba's boots.

You mean that small club that sits only 2 places below us?

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Lucas said:
You mean that small club that sits only 2 places below us?
Yes, that club that doesn't have aspirations of playing in the champions league, like us. That club that doesn't pack 45,000 fans into a stadium. That club.

Lucas

Never Say Never said:
Yes, that club that doesn't have aspirations of playing in the champions league, like us. That club that doesn't pack 45,000 fans into a stadium. That club.
It would seem that club has got a trophy - the same one we prized so dearly last season and is playing excellent football. Whilst Swansea are in no way one of the big hitters, they are in no shape a 'small club', that's what I take issue with. Just because a player comes from a club which has lesser aspirations, doesn't mean he can't be a good player.

What we need is someone like Williams, yes, someone who has that experience, but I personally feel Williams certainly has the talent.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Lucas said:
It would seem that club has got a trophy - the same one we prized so dearly last season and is playing excellent football. Whilst Swansea are in no way one of the big hitters, they are in no shape a 'small club', that's what I take issue with. Just because a player comes from a club which has lesser aspirations, doesn't mean he can't be a good player.

What we need is someone like Williams, yes, someone who has that experience, but I personally feel Williams certainly has the talent.
Would probably also have the hunger too, perhaps more so than that of a younger player because they would understand that what this chance would mean.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Lucas said:
Whilst Aston Villa are in no way one of the big hitters, they are in no shape a 'small club', that's what I take issue with. Just because a player comes from a club which has lesser aspirations, doesn't mean he can't be a good player.

What we need is someone like Downing, yes, someone who has that experience, but I personally feel Downing certainly has the talent.
Or Paul Konchesky instead of Downing.

What has Ashley Williams shown to prove he's good enough to play champions league football, besides a season an 2/3 of playing for a mid table club. Screams mediocrity.

Lucas

Never Say Never said:
Or Paul Konchesky instead of Downing.

What has Ashley Williams shown to prove he's good enough to play champions league football, besides a season an 2/3 of playing for a mid table club. Screams mediocrity.
Disagree with this. He's been hands down one of the most consistent defenders over two seasons, and has held his own against top clubs many times. Obviously we can't know what he'd be like for us unless he signed, but he is captain of club and country, and helped Swansea to 14 clean sheets last season. I can understand the reservations about him, and the signal the signing sends, but I honestly think he'll be at a top 5 team next season.

Edit: Whilst he is a good player imo, there are also better ones out there, so don't misinterpret this as saying he is the best and we should sign him up pronto. We should explore other options over him, but if it came down to it, i would welcome him to the club happily.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Never Say Never said:
This ^^ basically spot on. Id say Williams talent levels are enough to be back (even thats at best) but generally yeah lets bring in some talented cnuts for our defensive areas of the pitch to give us some bite whilst still being a footballing side that attacks well. Jeez .... we are slowly turning into Arsenal from turn of millenium :eek:

TFC

TIA Squad Member
He does sound like a real bastard.

Which reminds me of a thread that we used to have, in regards to how the team needs more bastards.

That being said I haven't watched many Swansea matches, so I'm not going to judge him until I see him play a few matches for us if we sign him. From what everyones been saying though, I seriously doubt we'll sign him unless his price is lower or Rodgers really rates him. I doubt either is going to be the case, and we'll end up passing.

S

showmethemoney

TFC said:
He does sound like a real bastard.

Which reminds me of a thread that we used to have, in regards to how the team needs more bastards.

That being said I haven't watched many Swansea matches, so I'm not going to judge him until I see him play a few matches for us if we sign him. From what everyones been saying though, I seriously doubt we'll sign him unless his price is lower or Rodgers really rates him. I doubt either is going to be the case, and we'll end up passing.
Why how much is he?

TFC

TIA Squad Member
showmethemoney said:
Why how much is he?
The rumor is 8mp. Its only a rumor, but I personally don't see us paying close to that amount unless Rodgers really loves him.

S

showmethemoney

TFC said:
The rumor is 8mp. Its only a rumor, but I personally don't see us paying close to that amount unless Rodgers really loves him.
See for an established decent defender who knows the EPL, maybe that's not too steep - but when you look abroad, you do tend to find better deals. But then a good few of us thought that with Seb Coates.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
showmethemoney said:
See for an established decent defender who knows the EPL, maybe that's not too steep - but when you look abroad, you do tend to find better deals. But then a good few of us thought that with Seb Coates.
I think that Coates difficulties have more to do with the situation the club has been in, than with him as a defender. I think there are plenty of good deals out there, especially if we're considering older players like Williams.

I just think it'll end up similar to Siggurdson, Dempsey or Ince - where we aren't willing to budge over our valuation, even if its a matter of a few hundred thousand or a few million pounds. Unless he rates him a lot (in which case, he clearly knows better than I do) I dont' think we'll meet whatever valuation Swansea try to squeeze out of us.

S

showmethemoney

TFC said:
I think that Coates difficulties have more to do with the situation the club has been in, than with him as a defender. I think there are plenty of good deals out there, especially if we're considering older players like Williams.

I just think it'll end up similar to Siggurdson, Dempsey or Ince - where we aren't willing to budge over our valuation, even if its a matter of a few hundred thousand or a few million pounds. Unless he rates him a lot (in which case, he clearly knows better than I do) I dont' think we'll meet whatever valuation Swansea try to squeeze out of us.
Totally agree tbh.

Can see that happening with other players too - if we look to buy in the UK.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
TFC said:

I think Williams is valued in the 'Allen' Bracket by BR and therefore it is feasible that we would pay £8m for him.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Think we had fair warning over this, this is entering Sturridge territory now, though in this instance the selling club will want to keep him

Hopefully as above Swansea will be stubborn. They need him more than we do after all

But it's not really a sign of particularly cerebral thinking in terms of the managers recruiting efforts. We are probably going to have to rely quite heavily on our scouts to spot genuine quality on the evidence of this and last summer too perhaps, rather than Rodgers himself

Every man has his strengths and weaknesses. Improving players and attacking coaching are the former, perhaps experience and creativity in the transfer market could be the latter, at least until he's been round the block a bit

TFC

TIA Squad Member
redfanman said:
I think Williams is valued in the 'Allen' Bracket by BR and therefore it is feasible that we would pay £8m for him.
You could be right. I'm hoping he's more valued in the 'Siggurdson' bracket, where he likes the player but isn't willing to budge over his true value.

RichLFC said:
Think we had fair warning over this, this is entering Sturridge territory now.
About the same territory as Ince though. Try to keep your chin up Rich, it ain't over till its over :) It could help us get a better deal on a better player hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.